Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpress91 View Post
If you own a LG 55lw5600. Do NOT update your firmware to 03.10.06. This update will mess your 3D up. It will crop an inch from each side of the picture if you set 2D to 3D, and if your changing anything manually in 3D settings.
Is it possible to downgrade firmware after upgrading? I wonder if this firmware does anything for the PS3 issue. Do you happen to have a PS3 to test the 3 Line issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you own a LG 55lw5600. Do NOT update your firmware to 03.10.06. This update will mess your 3D up. It will crop an inch from each side of the picture if you set 2D to 3D, and if your changing anything manually in 3D settings.
too late...
post #633 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post

too late...

Please say it fixed it!!!
post #634 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.tam View Post

Please say it fixed it!!!

I will check it tonight, I upgraded this morning while playing with the set before work. I'll let you know Tony
post #635 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Mine has always had the inch off of every side when watching 3d. In fact the ones ive seen at brick and mortars have shown the same thing. I was under the impression that this was part of the deal with passive technology.

Your saying that you did not have the screen crop? Im gonna have to check my firmware when i get home.
post #636 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Forgot I took this pic, just they way I'm set-up now. took the pic on my phone to send to a friend. Since it's slow I figured I'd share

Need to clean up the wiring but I was too wore out over the weekend, and it gives me a project for next weekend
post #637 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post

Mine has always had the inch off of every side when watching 3d. In fact the ones ive seen at brick and mortars have shown the same thing. I was under the impression that this was part of the deal with passive technology.

Your saying that you did not have the screen crop? Im gonna have to check my firmware when i get home.

I've found that it depends on the movie. I'll try and post some exact details tonight.
post #638 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Forgot I took this pic, just they way I'm set-up now. took the pic on my phone to send to a friend. Since it's slow I figured I'd share

Need to clean up the wiring but I was too wore out over the weekend, and it gives me a project for next weekend

Dude, I'm originally from New Castle PA, so I'm a big Steelers fan! I went to medical school and residency in Philly, then got a job across the bridge in NJ. Really miss Western PA, but have been here for many years.
post #639 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:

How many people put their X-Box HD dvd drive like that? Lol, Looks exactly like my setup.
post #640 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM

This might sound like a silly question... but how do I get my external speaker volume to work with the LG apps?
I have the TV connected to my yamaha receiver and then everything connected to receiver. Bluray player and PS3 volume work great.
But when I try to use the LG - "Youtube" and "Medialink" apps - only the TV volume works?
Help? =) Thanks.
post #641 of 8230 Old 04-25-2011, 09:21 PM

Hi everybody,

I have been reading through this board all day cause I'm considering getting the 47lw5600. After reading about some of the problems I decided to hit up 2 Best Buy stores nearby and have a look. The first store did not have the 1 inch bars on either side of the picture in 3d mode. It had maybe 1/4 of an inch. The second store had the full 1 inch bars on each side and it was very very noticeable. I asked if they did an update recently and was told the LG rep was there recently and messing around with it. Personally I had my hopes set on the Vizio passive set, but Amazon is lagging with their shipments ( I'm stuck going through them since I have a lot of gift card credit) so I'm looking into the LG. If I mostly play video games, and use a PS3 as my blu ray player am I going to regret it?
post #642 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeZombie66 View Post

Hi everybody,

I have been reading through this board all day cause I'm considering getting the 47lw5600. After reading about some of the problems I decided to hit up 2 Best Buy stores nearby and have a look. The first store did not have the 1 inch bars on either side of the picture in 3d mode. It had maybe 1/4 of an inch. The second store had the full 1 inch bars on each side and it was very very noticeable. I asked if they did an update recently and was told the LG rep was there recently and messing around with it. Personally I had my hopes set on the Vizio passive set, but Amazon is lagging with their shipments ( I'm stuck going through them since I have a lot of gift card credit) so I'm looking into the LG. If I mostly play video games, and use a PS3 as my blu ray player am I going to regret it?

I think the border is content driven. I did a test with Coraline and Tangled. Tangled had 1/2 -1/4" border and it changed during scenes, even within the scene. It's most noticable without glasses. Coraline had no border at all on left and right. I did not watch the full movie tonight, just a minute or 2 to test and post results.

Maybe tomrrow I will try the firmware update.

If you use a PS3 to do 3D blu ray playback you will most likely get the 3 lines at the moment there is no fix besides getting a different player with the LG set.
post #643 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac View Post

This might sound like a silly question... but how do I get my external speaker volume to work with the LG apps?
I have the TV connected to my yamaha receiver and then everything connected to receiver. Bluray player and PS3 volume work great.
But when I try to use the LG - "Youtube" and "Medialink" apps - only the TV volume works?
Help? =) Thanks.

I am guessing that you have your TV hooked up to your Yamaha receiver through the HDMI Out of your receiver? If your receiver doesn't support an audio return channel, you would have to have yet another connection from your TV out to your receiver. Remember that when you are playing your PS3 and Bluray player, its audio is going to one of the HDMI Ins of your receiver. If you don't have a separate output from your TV and your receiver doesn't support ARC, then you have no audio output coming from your TV back to your receiver.

I could be off base here since you haven't exactly described how you are currently watching TV broadcasts (cable box, satellite or direct coax feed) nor how you have everything setup/configured.
post #644 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM

I've been playing with this set for the last few days and I've come to the following conclusion.

Native 3D content works very well. The Deep Sea IMAX blu-ray was the first thing I tried and it blew me away. Works well even at off angle seating locations.

2D < 3D is ok at best, but nothing special. I prefer just to watch the 2D content in its native 2D mode.

Gaming in 3D seems to be hit and miss depending on the source. Super Stardust HD in the PS3 is amazing and the single best demonstration I've seen yet of how 3D gaming can be immersive and mindblowing! When your ship explosed it really looks like the particles are hitting you in the face. The depth of the planet is great too and the quality is phenominal all around.

I also tried GT5, Mortal Kombat, and Killzone 3. Those were a mixed bag. Although GT5 added depth, there were common instances of seeing double images of certain areas on the tracks that ruined the experience. Killzone 3's visual quality is degraded quite a bit in 3D. Looking down the iron sites is sweet, and the depth actually helps in that regard, but I'd rather play that game in 2D. Mortal Kombat barely does anything to add to the 3D experience. Nothing really jumps out at you. Kung Lao's flying hat when blocked is the best example I could find. Gaming in 3D, with the exception of Super Stardust, has been a giant pile of fail.

I will say there is a noticeable difference in how smoothly panning the camera around in games works on the 5600 when compared to the LG PK550. Playing Uncharted 2 I immediately noticed the difference. When panning it was quite a bit more blurry, whereas the PK550 was smooth. I notice things like this though because my eyes are very experienced from over a decade of PC gaming. I can tell the difference between 50fps and 60fps easily.

As for the set itself. Viewing in a brightly lit room is amazing using the Standard mode tweaked a bit for tv shows, or the gaming mode for playing videogames. ISF's default seems pretty good for movie viewing in the dark.

Comparing the LG PK550 to the LG 5600 one after the other I immediately noticed the 5600's shortcomings. The backlight is not even at all, and that's expected from edge-lit LED displays. Even with local dimming on high, I still noticed some light-bloom around logo's when loading games, which distracted me.

The viewing angles on the 5600 also suffer. Colors really get washed out from the sides and viewing from angles of more than 40 degrees are almost impossible because of it. With the plasma, I can sit by my computer and view from about a 145 degree angle and see what's going on just fine. Not with this 5600 though.

I like the TV for the native 3D and the games that work well with it are a spectacular experience!! I now have a very difficult decision to make, and that is whether or not to keep this tv. Overall 2D viewing quality is not even close to as good as on the PK550. If I keep it I will miss the deep, dark, even blacks from the plasma and the great viewing angles. If I return it I lose out on 3D and the amazing daytime viewing. Hmmmmmm... I hate this decision!!!!
post #645 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Has anyone tried 3D on the PC yet?

Will it work with the current software that uses active glasses, like Nvidia 3D vision and IZ3D for ATI? Will it show 3d movies from stereoscopic players like the one from 3dtv.at? Would I have to upgrade my video card from a ATI 4870?
post #646 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I've found that it depends on the movie. I'll try and post some exact details tonight.

I did a quick test of this and came up with the same type of answer, it seems to be content driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

Dude, I'm originally from New Castle PA, so I'm a big Steelers fan! I went to medical school and residency in Philly, then got a job across the bridge in NJ. Really miss Western PA, but have been here for many years.

I'm in Az now and I know how ya feel, I miss PA every summer out here.

Quote:

How many people put their X-Box HD dvd drive like that? Lol, Looks exactly like my setup.

Great minds Tony, great minds
post #647 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey01 View Post

Has anyone tried 3D on the PC yet?

Will it work with the current software that uses active glasses, like Nvidia 3D vision and IZ3D for ATI? Will it show 3d movies from stereoscopic players like the one from 3dtv.at? Would I have to upgrade my video card from a ATI 4870?

I've tried stereoscopic player, seems to work fine, I only have the demo copy. You don't need to upgrade unless you want to play blu-ray 3d. For that you will need a newer videocard which supports 3D, the 1.3 ones will not. I've played plenty of 3d clips that are SBS avi, mp4, and mkv with Media Center. My old video card did the 3D really bad, the left and right images were way too far apart on the screen. It was a ATI 2400 HD video card. The fan died and I decided to upgrade to a Nvidia GT430, and it works beautifully. I Dont have a blu-ray player yet to test 3D blu-ray.
post #648 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 04:20 PM

I recieved a reply back from LG this morning.

They stated that they have not heard of this issue with the PS3 generating the 3 lines playing back blu-ray. The tech who received my email is sending the issue to their engineers. I hope that is real and not just a caned response.

I think it would help to ensure they know it's a widespread issue

Please go to this site and submit the issue if you are experiencing this problem.
http://www.lg.com/us/support/contact...p?countryCd=us

Hopefully they can fix this issue, I would love to be free of the lines on the PS3.
post #649 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:

I've tried stereoscopic player, seems to work fine, I only have the demo copy. You don't need to upgrade unless you want to play blu-ray 3d. For that you will need a newer videocard which supports 3D, the 1.3 ones will not. I've played plenty of 3d clips that are SBS avi, mp4, and mkv with Media Center. My old video card did the 3D really bad, the left and right images were way too far apart on the screen. It was a ATI 2400 HD video card. The fan died and I decided to upgrade to a Nvidia GT430, and it works beautifully. I Dont have a blu-ray player yet to test 3D blu-ray.

Thanks for the reply!

I saw a demo at BB of some fish and it was amazing how it looked like the fish was so close I could touch it. I had never seen that on any other 3d tv's, the other ones just seem to have 'depth' which wasn't all that impressive.

I wonder if any of the pc games or anything else also has that effect? I'd like to write OpenGl programs on my pc to reproduce it. Once I learn how to set up the buffers for stereo images, it should just be matter of putting objects far out from the screen on the z-axis.
post #650 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey01 View Post

Thanks for the reply!

I saw a demo at BB of some fish and it was amazing how it looked like the fish was so close I could touch it. I had never seen that on any other 3d tv's, the other ones just seem to have 'depth' which wasn't all that impressive.

I wonder if any of the pc games or anything else also has that effect? I'd like to write OpenGl programs on my pc to reproduce it. Once I learn how to set up the buffers for stereo images, it should just be matter of putting objects far out from the screen on the z-axis.

I would love to see Windows support 3D

The flip for switching windows would be awsome!
post #651 of 8230 Old 04-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I recieved a reply back from LG this morning.

They stated that they have not heard of this issue with the PS3 generating the 3 lines playing back blu-ray. The tech who received my email is sending the issue to their engineers. I hope that is real and not just a caned response.

I think it would help to ensure they know it's a widespread issue

Please go to this site and submit the issue if you are experiencing this problem.
http://www.lg.com/us/support/contact...p?countryCd=us

Hopefully they can fix this issue, I would love to be free of the lines on the PS3.

I sent in a query as well. I find it odd that the problem is between both the PS3 and our particular TV.
post #652 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Liked: 11
Fry's ad shows 55" 3d tv for $1299.
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...ss-3D-LED-HDTV
Anybody know if this is LG 55lw5600 ?
post #653 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheon1971 View Post

Fry's ad shows 55" 3d tv for $1299.
http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...ss-3D-LED-HDTV
Anybody know if this is LG 55lw5600 ?

Could be, as everything there matches from what I can tell. MSRP for it is $2,399 if I remember right.
post #654 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

I just got mine for 200 more from them, i may try and get the difference back...
post #655 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Does anyone know if best Best Buy had this tv with a free blu ray player for 1799 a couple of weeks ago?
post #656 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Good price. Although I got it cheaper online. Hehe
post #657 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 04:54 PM
aod
Advanced Member

Just got off the phone with Fry's and they told me the one on sale is the Sony KDL55EX720 (stock number 6543383), not the LG 55LW5600.

post #658 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearia View Post

Could be, as everything there matches from what I can tell. MSRP for it is $2,399 if I remember right.

I just called the local Fry's, IT IS NOT LG, but Sony KDL55EX720.
post #659 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Brutal.
post #660 of 8230 Old 04-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Gotta say I did get my hopes up.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page