post #721 of 8249 Old 05-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post

Wow. Nice people here. I never called anyone a liar, nor am I trying to start a flame war, whatever that is. I was just curious about something, and thought I'd ask about it. I'll repeat what I've said all along but was apparently missed: I'm glad you are enjoying your sets, and I hope you will continue to be very pleased with them. Now if that's "BS" I'll eat my tv. Sheesh. Maybe 3-D causes you to lose your perspective.

I knew that you had to have the last word Pete. BTW, I'm an MD, in fact a Radiologist. I sit all day long interpreting images on high resolution monitors, 3MP and 5MP, so I quite qualified at image quality interpretation. If you would look at the TV, then you would see for yourself that the 3D image is very nice. Please feel free to post where and what you wish. Many of us are NOT seeing any 'blurriness'. As I posted, the 3D on this TV looked better than what I saw at the same BestBuy on a few Sony's, Panny's and some other brand [dangit, I can't remember the 3rd brand. Sorry] And you can use glasses from many movie theaters. It's pretty awesome. I think you would be impressed. But I totally agree with you that it's kind of a gimmick right now. A good movie with decent quality PQ is what we would all like. A bad movie with wonderful3D is something we would not like. I bought this one because my old TV was 6 years old and this was a great deal. But as you eluded in your post, the 3D gimmick is something that is unnecessary to many of us. The deal was a great one and when I saw the PQ [2D and 3D] pulled the trigger, knowing that I would have little use for 3D. I can't post the price, but I'll PM you. Go Steelers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8249 Old 05-01-2011, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill68 View Post

Would a Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player be compatible with this TV, if so would Avatar 3D work?

Why yes it will, and Avatar would look amazing on this set.
post #723 of 8249 Old 05-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post

Why yes it will, and Avatar would look amazing on this set.

Thanks for answering. I bought a LG 3D player but Im probabaly going to return it for a Pansonic so I can get Avatar 3D
post #724 of 8249 Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill68 View Post

Thanks for answering. I bought a LG 3D player but Im probabaly going to return it for a Pansonic so I can get Avatar 3D

No problem! yeah with the cost of Avatar 3D being so high, it is a better value to buy a Panasonic player because you get it free. Or you can look at it this way, it's like getting the blu-ray player free with the purchase of Avatar.
post #725 of 8249 Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 PM

Hey all,

Add me to the list of super happy customers!

The image quality is fantastic! The blacks are really dark and the colours (Canadian spelling :P ) are vivid!

I'm sure Plasmas are darker...but honestly, IMO, the image is perfect, especially for the price.

I did notice the half-inch or whatever black side bars on 3D content, but only when I remembered this thread and even then it didn't bother me at all. Not sure if anyone got bothered by them, but to me, it was almost invisible.

I have yet to play a blu-ray 3D movie, so I can't talk about the lines (I also have a phat PS3)...but I streamed a couple of "legally obtained" ripped blu-ray 3D movies via Boxee Box and it was PERFECT. THE 3D is awesome! I don't know about actual blu-ray disks...but the MKV streams were superb.

My eyes are fairly sensitive, especially to blur...I didn't see any... neither did my friend...and he is not only in the business, but a professional. He approved of the TV and that was one of the main reasons why I bought it.

As for game lag...I'm a really good FIFA player (at my prime, I was top 300 in the world in XBL)...I didn't notice any...none at all.

The wireless works well..the apps are cool...not sure if I would use them...but nice nonetheless.

So yeah...get it!

Edit: Ohh and the Wiimote thing E is kinda annoying...I tried it...it was OK...I didn't calibrate...so maybe that's why...but I have a universal remote...I'm happy with that. I did download the LG iOS app...and it's SUPER cool! If you have an iOS device (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad) you should download it! I think it's already on Android App Store too...free and fun! Works really well and the setup was 5 seconds!
post #726 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
So I bought the 55LW5600 a few weeks ago. I had to wait for it to be delivered. I was actially going on vacation the next week, so i had to schedule delivery the following week when I would be back. After it was delivered, it sat in the box until I got a chance to set it up. I just got it all set up today.

I watched my DVR's episode of this week's Fringe. Man the tv made it look so fake, lol. It looked like some high school class project or something.

I have Directv, with the HD DVR connected to a a Sony 7.1 AV Receiver via HDMI, and that receiver connected to this TV via HDMI. I watched it in 2D, with all the default settings.

I have to play with the settings on this thing.

I usually watch Fringe every week and the production is usually very good (old tv that I have been watching and comparing to is a 37" Sharp Aquos bought 2 or 3 years ago). I guess it's possible they totally dropped the ball this week and had a local high school handle the production or something. But I am erring on the side of the settings on this tv need some major adjustment.

I remember reading a few people's settings before I went on vacation. I will have to try to find them and see if I can copy them. I am no expert so I wouldn't even know where to start. Hopefully I can just blanket copy all the video settings from someone else and get the best picture possible.

I'm not knocking this tv by any means. I just found it comical how fake and cheesy Fringe looked. Haven't really had time to watch anything else or play with it though. It's been a pretty busy weekend. Everything else about the tv seems awesome though. I can't wait to play with it when I get some time.
post #727 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivad View Post

For those interested, these settings are here.

I just got the 55LW5600 yesterday and have been fiddling with and researching calibration, and these look pretty good to me so far after checking a few different sources.. I came here to post them..

I found another set of settings at FlatpanelsHD for the LW6500 which look very natural.

Picture preset: Expert1
Backlight 35 (I set mine to 45)
Contrast 90
Brightness: 50
V/H Sharpness: 50
Color: 50
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Black level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -2
B contrast 1
R brightness -7
G brightness 20
B brightness 5
TruMotion On/Off
LED local dimming Off (I set mine to high)
post #728 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wignos View Post

I found another set of settings at FlatpanelsHD for the LW6500 which look very natural.

Contrast 90
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Black level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -2
B contrast 1
R brightness -7
G brightness 20
B brightness 5
TruMotion On/Off

Thanks a million! I just put in all the settings in the first link. I'll watch for a couple days, reset, and then enter these settings and see which I prefer. Very much appreciated!
post #729 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

I watched my DVR's episode of this week's Fringe. Man the tv made it look so fake, lol. It looked like some high school class project or something.

I have Directv, with the HD DVR connected to a a Sony 7.1 AV Receiver via HDMI, and that receiver connected to this TV via HDMI. I watched it in 2D, with all the default settings.

I usually watch Fringe every week and the production is usually very good (old tv that I have been watching and comparing to is a 37" Sharp Aquos bought 2 or 3 years ago). I guess it's possible they totally dropped the ball this week and had a local high school handle the production or something. But I am erring on the side of the settings on this tv need some major adjustment.

I remember reading a few people's settings before I went on vacation. I will have to try to find them and see if I can copy them. I am no expert so I wouldn't even know where to start. Hopefully I can just blanket copy all the video settings from someone else and get the best picture possible.

I don't watch Fringe, but a heard that a few people complained about their TiVo boxes in relation to an episode of Fringe. The ep, 'Subject 13', was apparently purposely shot in such a way it would look dated and suit the content. Could it be possible you were watching the same episode??

I can't post URL links due to being a newbie, but the below should lead you on the right path....

vmhd.blogspot.com/2011/04/fringe-this-week-barely-hd-deliberately.html
post #730 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Watch Avatar last night on this set, PQ is amazing, however, I noticed quite a bit of blurry/artifact with fast motion. I wonder if anyone who also has active 3d at home can make some comparison.

Edit: It is the 3D Avatar through a Panasonic 3d player.
post #731 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post

So I bought the 55LW5600 a few weeks ago. I had to wait for it to be delivered. I was actially going on vacation the next week, so i had to schedule delivery the following week when I would be back. After it was delivered, it sat in the box until I got a chance to set it up. I just got it all set up today.

I'm not knocking this tv by any means. I just found it comical how fake and cheesy Fringe looked. Haven't really had time to watch anything else or play with it though. It's been a pretty busy weekend. Everything else about the tv seems awesome though. I can't wait to play with it when I get some time.

Sounds like you have tru motion on, you can turn it off or lower the effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wignos View Post

Contrast 90
Tint 0
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Off
Mpeg noise reduction Off
Super resolution Off
Black level Low
Real Cinema Off
Color gamut Standard
Edge enhancer Off
xvYCC Auto
Color filter Off
Color temperature Warm
RGB Method 2 points
R contrast 0
G contrast -2
B contrast 1
R brightness -7
G brightness 20
B brightness 5
TruMotion On/Off

I'll try this setting later, I plugged in the settings that were linked two pages ago and I gotta say, I did not like them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh87 View Post

Watch Avatar last night on this set, PQ is amazing, however, I noticed quite a bit of blurry/artifact with fast motion. I wonder if anyone who also has active 3d at home can make some comparison.

avatar in 3D or just the blu-ray? What was the source?
post #732 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was watching Avatar at Bestbuy on a Samsung 8000 series, and it looked pretty darn blurry. Has any one seen a decent 3D of Avatar on anything?
post #733 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 09:51 AM

I guess I will add my 2 cents worth. I have beed following this thread since the beginning and after reading reviews and did the demo at BB, I finally pulled the trigger on the 55 inch. Did not like any Sammy or Sony 3D demo's we did and really loved the glasses for the LG.

Set up was very easy. Calibrating is still a work in progess. HD TV is great. SD is not bad. Not great but not bad.

My first movie was a Blu-Ray of Underworld and the PQ was much better than my ln52a550 sammy. I then converted it to 3D and was BLOWN AWAY. Great depth. You could see the pours on Kate's face. We found it very clear and dam near as good as the 2D we were watching. After that we watched our first Full HD 3D movie (Open Season) and the clearity was just jaw dropping. I saw no ghosting no nothing, just a very good picture. Last night we watched Wild Ocean 3D and was once again amazed. This really is a very good 2D & 3D TV.

Another note that might help some. Me and the wife both wear glass and had no issues what so ever with the supplied glass in the box. Just put them on over our regular glass and enjoyed.

Xbox Live GT - Prince Oz
post #734 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Has anyone seen clouding or flashlighting? Or does the 'local dimming' do a respectable job preventing this issue?
post #735 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

I was watching Avatar at Bestbuy on a Samsung 8000 series, and it looked pretty darn blurry. Has any one seen a decent 3D of Avatar on anything?

Avatar is a little blurry on the 5600. It is not crisp with fast motion on this movie. I had an active 3d tv Panasonic ST30 before I got the 5600. Avatar was perfect on this tv in 3d. I think the issue is with LCD and fast motion.
post #736 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

I am very interested in how the Avatar 3D look like in the panny 55vt30. Too much blurry with fast motion in my 55LW5600.
post #737 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

The blu ray edition of avatar has no blur on my set (not 3d) and when I viewed the hbo on demand 3D I didn't get any blur. Perhaps the settings are off?
post #738 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyb View Post

Has anyone seen clouding or flashlighting? Or does the 'local dimming' do a respectable job preventing this issue?

I just came here to post the same question, actually.

I picked up the set over the weekend and I'm very pleased with it so far.. however, I'm coming from a plasma (PN50B550) which I was very, very happy with, and I'm noticing clouding with the 55LW5600 which I would consider significant, especially in the upper left corner.. I'm not sure if this is normal for edge lit LED's, or if the set itself is defective and I should exchange it..?

I've tried setting local dimming off and at high -- setting it to high seems to help, but the clouding is still noticeable, and this seemed to affect the colors a bit as well..

For those of you with experience with LED TVs and this set in particular, is this normal and I should just get used to it? Are there ways to mitigate it? I'll try to post a picture later showing what I'm seeing..

Besides that, loving this TV.

TIA!
post #739 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Are you noticing the clouding on a particular setting (i.e. cinema, vivid or standard)? I havent noticed clouding on any particular setting nor have I noticed it from any particular corner bit I have adjusted just about every default setting to my tastes...
post #740 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alston80 View Post

Avatar is a little blurry on the 5600. It is not crisp with fast motion on this movie. I had an active 3d tv Panasonic ST30 before I got the 5600. Avatar was perfect on this tv in 3d. I think the issue is with LCD and fast motion.

To me, it is quite blurry on the 5600. I have friends came over to experience the 3D, even though they all like the scenes without too much motion, everyone notice the motion artifact. I have tried different settings but still the same. If this is related to the LCD/LED or the 120hz of this set, I may reconsider change to a plasma, especially the already out Panasonic VT30. Too bad, I really like the benefit of passive 3D.
post #741 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

To me, it is quite blurry on the 5600. I have friends came over to experience the 3D, even though they all like the scenes without too much motion, everyone notice the motion artifact. I have tried different settings but still the same. If this is related to the LCD/LED or the 120hz of this set, I may reconsider change to a plasma, especially the already out Panasonic VT30. Too bad, I really like the benefit of passive 3D.

I don't like the motion artifact either. It does take away from the movie. I don't have this issue with other 3d movies though. I owned the ST30 for a few weeks. I imagine the VT30 will be beyond awesome in PQ. The 3d HD quality was superb with certain content. There was a lot of ghosting (the main reason why I returned it) especially on scenes with dark backgrounds. The flicker from the hard to clean, hard to keep on my face glasses was terrible. The only thing I miss is using the 3d flicker of the active glasses to combat my insomnia. It really helped me fall asleep/pass out quicker.
post #742 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoatLantern View Post
Are you noticing the clouding on a particular setting (i.e. cinema, vivid or standard)? I havent noticed clouding on any particular setting nor have I noticed it from any particular corner bit I have adjusted just about every default setting to my tastes...
I've had it on Expert settings from day one.. I'll try the other settings and will report back.

Good to know that you see no clouding, though.. I may have a bad set..?
post #743 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've had it on Expert settings from day one.. I'll try the other settings and will report back.

Good to know that you see no clouding, though.. I may have a bad set..?
Possibly, have you played with the settings on expert or did you just use the default expert settings?
post #744 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The LW6500 is 240hz and the LW9500 is 480 hz.
post #745 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 PM

I finally saw this TV's passive 3D in action today. Wow, very impressed! In comparison to an upper level Panny plasma I couldn't tell a discernable difference in the "sharpness" of the image; however, the passive 3D image was almost twice as bright! Now the debate begins for me...Does this TV make me pull out the plastic now, or do I wait to see what the 480hz, VIA Plus Vizio TVs hold in store? I'll continue to troll here for awhile and might even cross over to the "owner's" side...
post #746 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:

I just came here to post the same question, actually.

I picked up the set over the weekend and I'm very pleased with it so far.. however, I'm coming from a plasma (PN50B550) which I was very, very happy with, and I'm noticing clouding with the 55LW5600 which I would consider significant, especially in the upper left corner.. I'm not sure if this is normal for edge lit LED's, or if the set itself is defective and I should exchange it..?

I've tried setting local dimming off and at high -- setting it to high seems to help, but the clouding is still noticeable, and this seemed to affect the colors a bit as well..

For those of you with experience with LED TVs and this set in particular, is this normal and I should just get used to it? Are there ways to mitigate it? I'll try to post a picture later showing what I'm seeing..

Besides that, loving this TV.

TIA!

You might want to also try lowering the backlight setting. Something in the 40-50 range will probably still be adequately bright for daytime viewing, unless you are in a room that gets a lot of direct sun. People who watch only at night can go lower. The local dimming function helps, but with edge-lit sets it is not super effective, and can only help under certain circumstances (since the zones are pretty large...).
post #747 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

A lot of folks (and reviewers) turn off Tru-Motion completely, but you might want to experiment a bit with the User mode, in which de-judder and de-blur are set separately. I've seen some recommendations to lower de-judder way down (even to zero), while keeping the de-blur setting fairly high. Something to try, anyway...
post #748 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 06:47 PM

What is tru motion anyway?
post #749 of 8249 Old 05-02-2011, 06:50 PM

Got this TV Sun. hooked up today. I LOVE THIS TV!!
post #750 of 8249 Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 AM

Should I return this TV?
Or should I exchange it?

I know that Active 3D TVs are backwards compatible with Passive 3D technology

However Passive 3D TVs are not compatible with Active 3D

Personally I HATE the idea of spending $2000 on a TV that will not allow me to buy some nice 3D Active Glasses

Now, my question is
1) First I bought a 120Hz Samsung TV. I THOUGHT it was 3D "compatible" so I can play with Nvidia 3D Vision.
What I was told is that the TV has only a 60Hz input, so it wasn't compatible

2) Two years later, I bought a 55" LED 3D TV with WiFi and internet and now I realize I can't buy the Active 3D glasses
Will I be able to play games with Nvidia 3D Vision?

3) What disadvantages do I have with Passive vs Active?
What if I buy something like Nvidia 3D Vision?
From what I understand, as long as my TV has a 120Hz input (HDMI 1.4), 120 Hz, it should be good.

So, with this principle, would I be able to play with Nvidia 3D Vision which uses ACTIVE 3D Technology?

4) If I buy my own Active 3D emitter, with Active 3D glasses, could I hook a Blu-Ray player with WiFi, Youtube, Netflix, Vudu to it?

If I can't play Active content, I'm returning this TV. I won't spend $2000 (it was an offer, came with the BluRay player) on something that STILL doesn't works with Nvidia 3D Vision.

That's the main reason I bought the TV in the first place

Thanks A LOT for your answers, I'm really wondering if I should exchange this, refund this, or keep this TV
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page