Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 259 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-01-2012, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks for the reply and are you still having the issue. I had an ATT uverse tech out on Sunday and he reconfigured the receiver and it has been working for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper91304 View Post

thanks for the reply and are you still having the issue. I had an ATT uverse tech out on Sunday and he reconfigured the receiver and it has been working for now.

What kind of changes did he have to make? I have AT&T uverse and mine seems ok except random resolution changes I get that keep reverting from 1080i. If it will fix that I'll get a tech out.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:12 PM

I have a couple questions. I have an LG LW5700 that I hacked to make into a LW5600 to unlock the THX modes and other settings. From what I understand that is one of the only differences between these models. What I'd like to know is what is the purpose of the AV button or AV settings on the TV? For instance say I have my settings using "THX Bright Room" mode settings for my PS3. If I press the AV button on my remote a screen pops up that asks me if I would like to select "None", "THX Cinema", or "Game" mode as a setting. It is like it is separate from the actual TV setting that I have selected (which is "THX Bright Room" mode). The thing that is confusing is since I'm gaming one would think you should select the "Game" mode but it totally changes the picture settings. It seems to me that it is negating the "THX Bright Room" settings? Is the Game mode supposed to have faster ms response time? Plus the "THX Bright Room" setting isn't even an option under the AV Mode settings. I've included a video showing what I mean here: http://tinypic.com/r/2qu7tir/6

Also, I noticed a very nice THX 3D setting that can be turned on when playing 3D content (like 3D PS3 games). My question is when THX implemented this 3D setting, they compensated higher brightness for 3D glasses which have lenses with tints on them.... right? I hope so!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymayeshere View Post

I have a couple questions. I have an LG LW5700 that I hacked to make into a LW5600 to unlock the THX modes and other settings. From what I understand that is one of the only differences between these models. What I'd like to know is what is the purpose of the AV button or AV settings on the TV? For instance say I have my settings using "THX Bright Room" mode settings for my PS3. If I press the AV button on my remote a screen pops up that asks me if I would like to select "None", "THX Cinema", or "Game" mode as a setting. It is like it is separate from the actual TV setting that I have selected (which is "THX Bright Room" mode). The thing that is confusing is since I'm gaming one would think you should select the "Game" mode but it totally changes the picture settings. It seems to me that it is negating the "THX Bright Room" settings? Is the Game mode supposed to have faster ms response time? Plus the "THX Bright Room" setting isn't even an option under the AV Mode settings. I've included a video showing what I mean here: http://tinypic.com/r/2qu7tir/6

Also, I noticed a very nice THX 3D setting that can be turned on when playing 3D content (like 3D PS3 games). My question is when THX implemented this 3D setting, they compensated higher brightness for 3D glasses which have lenses with tints on them.... right? I hope so!

It is a little confusing. From what I can tell the AV mode is a way to quickly jump to certain important presets. The AV "Game" mode is actually tied to the Game Picture Mode preset, which is why the picture changes. You will absolutely need to use this AV mode when playing games because it makes a dramatic difference in latency. To customize the picture settings for the mode select the Game Picture Mode Preset and tweak it to your liking. I recommend the ISF settings I listed in the first post, since in general games don't really look their best using the THX mode which is really intended for film and TV sources.

The THX 3D preset is excellent and does, as you say, compensate for the darkness of the glasses by increasing the overall brightness. I highly recommend using this for 3D movies, and strangely it seems to work for games without latency as well. (The rules for 3D may be a bit different than 2D.)

BTW you mentioned that you did the service menu hack - did you turn on Local Dimming? The THX presets are great, but local dimming is just as important. Make sure to set it to high, regardless of what picture preset you are using for the best contrast.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraQ View Post

It is a little confusing. From what I can tell the AV mode is a way to quickly jump to certain important presets. The AV "Game" mode is actually tied to the Game Picture Mode preset, which is why the picture changes. You will absolutely need to use this AV mode when playing games because it makes a dramatic difference in latency. To customize the picture settings for the mode select the Game Picture Mode Preset and tweak it to your liking. I recommend the ISF settings I listed in the first post, since in general games don't really look their best using the THX mode which is really intended for film and TV sources.

The THX 3D preset is excellent and does, as you say, compensate for the darkness of the glasses by increasing the overall brightness. I highly recommend using this for 3D movies, and strangely it seems to work for games without latency as well. (The rules for 3D may be a bit different than 2D.)

BTW you mentioned that you did the service menu hack - did you turn on Local Dimming? The THX presets are great, but local dimming is just as important. Make sure to set it to high, regardless of what picture preset you are using for the best contrast.

Thanks for the great reply! Yes, I did enable the local dimming feature and I have now made sure to set it to high on all the settings.

I also enabled the DVR functionality but I'm having problems recording. I have a Comcast DVR/HD box that I've tried exporting to my TV via HDMI cable and when I try recording on the LG TV it says that HDMI recording isn't supported??? Then I tried exporting from the Comcast box via just the Coaxial cable (just to see if it would work) knowing that I wouldn't be getting any HD content, yet it still won't record. Do I have to use Component cables? lol. I have an external hard drive hooked to USB1 port on the TV, it has been formatted to be used on the LG TV.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:

I recently upgraded my receiver to a Yamaha model with ARC and HDMI control support. Works great except that the receiver won't come on automatically when I turn on the tv. It will turn OFF automatically, but not on. Are you saying that your receiver will turn on with the tv?

I believe the receiver has a different ON code from OFF code. What I programmed my Comcast remote for was AUX (receiver) is the Yamaha and found that my cable remote would turn ON the receiver, but not OFF. That worked fine for me because the HDMI control from the TV would turn it off. SO here's the sequence of events and why it works:
All systems are OFF
I press the "All ON(off)" button on the cable remote - it cycles through Cable Box ON, TV ON, Yamaha ON (on the AUX program button). SO all come on at that point and the Yamaha is turned on directly via the remote, not via the tv.
I press the "All on(OFF)" button- it cycles through Cable Box OFF, TV OFF.. and here's why it works - the TV OFF causes the TV to turn off the Yamaha AND the TV. The button then cycles to Yamaha OFF (AUX) but it has no effect since it apparently has different codes. Results in Yamaha being left off.
Bottom line, I believe you're correct that TV ON won't turn on the Yamaha but since the remote does it during its cycle of "all on", i'm fine. That's why it works for me. Now, by you knowing that the Yamaha apparently has separate codes for on/off , you might be able to make your scenario work for your setup. Good luck
Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the great reply! Yes, I did enable the local dimming feature and I have now made sure to set it to high on all the settings.

I also enabled the DVR functionality but I'm having problems recording. I have a Comcast DVR/HD box that I've tried exporting to my TV via HDMI cable and when I try recording on the LG TV it says that HDMI recording isn't supported??? Then I tried exporting from the Comcast box via just the Coaxial cable (just to see if it would work) knowing that I wouldn't be getting any HD content, yet it still won't record. Do I have to use Component cables? lol. I have an external hard drive hooked to USB1 port on the TV, it has been formatted to be used on the LG TV.

I haven't messed with the DVR funtionality myself, but from reading this forum, I understand it to only work with over the air broadcast television. So unfortunately what you are trying to do won't work. If you have a Comcast DVR already though, I'm not sure why you would bother.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post

I believe the receiver has a different ON code from OFF code. What I programmed my Comcast remote for was AUX (receiver) is the Yamaha and found that my cable remote would turn ON the receiver, but not OFF. That worked fine for me because the HDMI control from the TV would turn it off. SO here's the sequence of events and why it works:
All systems are OFF
I press the "All ON(off)" button on the cable remote - it cycles through Cable Box ON, TV ON, Yamaha ON (on the AUX program button). SO all come on at that point and the Yamaha is turned on directly via the remote, not via the tv.
I press the "All on(OFF)" button- it cycles through Cable Box OFF, TV OFF.. and here's why it works - the TV OFF causes the TV to turn off the Yamaha AND the TV. The button then cycles to Yamaha OFF (AUX) but it has no effect since it apparently has different codes. Results in Yamaha being left off.
Bottom line, I believe you're correct that TV ON won't turn on the Yamaha but since the remote does it during its cycle of "all on", i'm fine. That's why it works for me. Now, by you knowing that the Yamaha apparently has separate codes for on/off , you might be able to make your scenario work for your setup. Good luck

Thanks for the explanation. I was worried that the control features of the HDMI connection on the TV and receiver weren't working correctly. I do wish that the TV could use it's HDMI connection to the receiver to turn the receiver on, but it's not that big of a deal. Using a programmable remote as you explained is probably the best solution.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:

I haven't messed with the DVR funtionality myself, but from reading this forum, I understand it to only work with over the air broadcast television. So unfortunately what you are trying to do won't work. If you have a Comcast DVR already though, I'm not sure why you would bother.

Ohhh well that really stinks. Only over the air broadcasting!?

I'm using my comcast box from my living room to test it out. I figured I could have the LG TV record in my home theater room so basically I would have basically 4 tuners total in my home. Now I guess I won't be recording with my LG TV
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:

Ohhh well that really stinks. Only over the air broadcasting!?

I'm using my comcast box from my living room to test it out. I figured I could have the LG TV record in my home theater room so basically I would have basically 4 tuners total in my home. Now I guess I won't be recording with my LG TV

Not only OTA. You can also record channels broadcast over clear QAM that you might get by bypassing the cable box. It's the same channels as OTA, though. I record nbc, abc, cbs, and pbs that way.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wamblej View Post

What kind of changes did he have to make? I have AT&T uverse and mine seems ok except random resolution changes I get that keep reverting from 1080i. If it will fix that I'll get a tech out.

I believe he reconfigured the whole box. I have had no trouble holding the 1080i setting. Mine kept dropping the signal on HDMI 1. I ran fine from last Sunday and started doing it again today. They had mailed me a new box yesterday and I installed it to see if it resolved the problem and it did. I then hooked the old box up so my wife could watch what she had recorded, since this is the dvr box. I found out from ATT&T that you cannot hook the old box up once the new one has been installed.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:32 AM

How do I get Hulu to work again? Now it just goes to a black screen. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM

hey guys i just downloaded that android app to allow service menu hack and it works great on my 47lw6500 the code was 0413 and i turned on all the thx settings and did the white level config i was woundering if there are any more use full settings i can use in the service menu.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 AM

Fyi... My 65LW6500-UA just auto-updated to V04.03.02.

I hope this fixes the freeze issue with the previous firmware.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by prbear8 View Post

Fyi... My 65LW6500-UA just auto-updated to V04.03.02.

I hope this fixes the freeze issue with the previous firmware.

Have you noticed anything different at all ?

I have mine(55LW6500) set on back to 4.02.62 after the last disaster.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

Old 05-07-2012, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Although I have the 47LW5700 it's the same firmware and I noticed that here too. I'll download it to my PC and use the USB installation method as it's far quicker...when the update is available on the website, which it currently is not.
This is 4.03.02 - it was 4.03.01 that caused all the slowdowns and it was withdrawn.
If any problem occurs you can easily wind it back by going to Home, then Setup, then the Options tab, then click on the remote '9' seven times. The set will reboot and the prior firmware will be restored.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPUTIAC View Post

Have you noticed anything different at all ?

I have mine(55LW6500) back on back to 4.02.62 after the last disaster.

The freezing looks to be fixed. Been running for about 2 hours, no issues so far.

Do not see anything new though
Old 05-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSnagglepuss View Post

Update: Just restored the firmware and I still have the auto dim issue! I'm almost positive I first saw this with the 4.03.01 update but I'm back to the current (official, non revoked) and the problem is still occurring. Double checked all my settings, energy saving or eco settings (whatever LG is calling it) is most definitely off. Interesting though, when turning if off from the quick menu and selecting exit you get the scale image to show how much energy is being used....with the setting off, it was the same as minimum. Makes me think its stuck or something. Wow is this ever annoying! Anyone with any suggestions? I'm going to have to give LG a support call if there is no fix.

Update #2: Finally figured out what was causing this! I feel like a dumb ass for not catching this before. There is a setting called "Eye Care" that somehow got turned on. This also auto dims and has a very similar effect to energy savings. Not sure if this is a new feature that was enable on by default through an update or if I accindentaly turned it on but either way, turned it off, and now all is right in the world again.

3D is the new crack
Old 05-07-2012, 11:18 AM

I'm on the current firmware 4.03 or what ever it is and no problems but I don't log in too premium ever so I'd don't know if that affects it or not
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Ugh... Watching Netflix has rebooted my TV twice on me...

Anyone else have this issue with new firmware?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Just did the update and did not see anything different so far.

I checked the "Eye Care" setting before and after the update and it was on "Low" both times. Set it to "Off" to see if there would be any changes,

but nothing so far. It is still set to "Off".

The one thing I did notice was when going back in to look for any differences after the "FW" update, the "Apps" section was still in update mode.

I have no idea if there were any changes as I do not use any of them.

So, for now we can just wait and keep a sharp eye out on things.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

Old 05-07-2012, 05:59 PM

wassup my fellow LW5600 owners.. well, back in Dec i bought my 55" LG and had noticed some spotlighting issues on it. being a lazy geek at times, i hadn't gotten it fixed and was planning to get a tech out this month to take a look to see if it was my panel or backlight.

today, noticed a firmware update was available so i ran it and after updating, have not noticed any of the spotlighting issues. its almost like the update fixed the local dimming on a pure black screen. i'll check back tonight after its dark out and do further testing but looking good!

anyone else notice this or am i smoking some good $hit

btw, firmware version: 4.03.02
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Just did the update and did not see anything different so far.

I checked the "Eye Care" setting before and after the update and it was on "Low" both times. Set it to "Off" to see if there would be any changes,

but nothing so far. It is still set to "Off".

The one thing I did notice was when going back in to look for any differences after the "FW" update, the "Apps" section was still in update mode.

I have no idea if there were any changes as I do not use any of them.

So, for now we can just wait and keep a sharp eye out on things.

Where's this eye candy setting located?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo1 View Post

Where's this eye candy setting located?

To find the "Eye Care" setting,

Click Home> Setup> Picture> Advanced Control> scroll down to second screen>

3rd choice will be "Eye Care" setting> choose Off, Low, High.

I found the High setting makes the picture darker, where Low, only a little darker.

Thank's,

COMPUTIAC

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

To find the "Eye Care" setting,

Click Home> Setup> Picture> Advanced Control> scroll down to second screen>

3rd choice will be "Eye Care" setting> choose Off, Low, High.

I found the High setting makes the picture darker, where Low, only a little darker.

Must only be available on the 6500 because I'm not seeing it on the 5600.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM

TV updated to 4.03.02 lastnight. DLNA streaming seems much improved (performance and stability). The interface is still very poor, but no more dropping WiFi or crashing out when streaming high bitrate over Wifi. All good so far. I was hoping they would fix it, I did contact LG directly in the winter about how to easy it was to consistently get the DLNA to crash.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:28 PM

How can I measure video/audio lag?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:31 PM

This latest update still does not appear to have fixed the issue with Hulu Plus. I still have to reload the app twice to get it to load each time I turn on the TV. Has anyone been able to fix this?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:55 PM

I can't get into huluplus at all. Just a black screen
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 AM

It's funny you mention this because last week when I was shopping for this TV I found an electronics outlet store here in Canada selling the 5600.

The first thing I noticed was the bezel being loose at the bottom right corner. I of course passed on this.

I don't think it's as uncommon as LG would make it seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmont13 View Post

Hi

Just got one of these on 02/20/12 and have started browsing this thread. Just wanted to let everyone know about my recent experience with my new 55LW5600.

Had the TV home for about 15 days. One afternoon I heard a strange noise that sounded like a popping sound. Not audio type noise but more like a plastic snapping sound. I figured it was my ice maker as it sometimes gets jammed up and makes that sound. Checked it and it was ok. Thought nothing of it and moved on.

Fast forward to next morning. My Daughter was at the table and asked if I could swivel the TV so she could see it better. That's when I noticed that the plastic bezel around the screen was way loose on the right side. Right then it hit me that the popping sound I heard must have been the bezel popping.

Sure enough the bottom right corner and the whole right side of the bezel were so loose that there was about a 1/4" or more gap between the bezel and screen. You could actually flex the bezel out enough to get a finger between the bezel and screen and the lower right corner was pulled completely away from the chassis. I could see no way to just pop it back on so I checked the screws on the back of the right side and they were all tight. My guess was that the bezel has bosses molded on the back side that the screws go into and that they were over tightened on the right side at the factory and under stress and just let loose. Who knows as I've never had to take an LCD TV apart (thank goodness).

Called LG and explained to CS about the problem. The rep was genuinely surprised as he'd never heard of that happening before (if it's never happened before or only 1% of the time, I'd be in that group). In fact CS rep was surprised because according to him they get very few calls about defects or problems on the 55LW5600 and that it's their best selling TV for model year 2011.

To LG's credit they had a service call set up for me the very next day and the tech was on time. He also commented that he'd never seen a bezel pop like that before and had never had to replace one. First thing I asked him was if the bezel was even stocked. I know that sometimes cabinet parts are hard to get and have a long wait time. He went out to call and check stock and told me that LG had the bezels in stock. He would order one and come back out to replace it. I'm thinking, how do you replace it? So I ask the tech. He says that even though he's never done one, he can for sure replace it. Bad news is that he has to disassemble the whole TV to replace it. He's talking about transferring the whole shebang to the new bezel. Knowing what TV's look like inside, I'm not sure about having a 15 day old TV gutted and put back together. There's always a chance that some little something gets messed up and then you have more problems.

I decided to return the TV to the store for refund or replacement under the store's 30 day return policy. Told the tech that if they didn't replace it, I'd call him back.

I bought the TV from F**'s Electronics (yeah I know, I hate them too most of the time and they can give you grief sometimes on returns) but they were the only local store that had the 5600 in stock. Good thing was they had the best price I could find local (with 6 pairs of extra glasses for free). Called the salesman to see if they had another one, which they did and proceeded to get the TV back in the van and up to the store.

Walked into F**'s expecting the worse but I'm happy to say the return was painless and I was on the way home with the replacement 5600 in about 30 minutes. The new one so far has been OK no issues. Hope it lasts longer than 15 days this time. Now I'm going to read every page in this forum and get the TV dialed in for my room.

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv