Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 277 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

Old 11-08-2015, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPPYREGO View Post
.. Closed Captioning ....
Sometimes I watch movies, TV Series from a USB and it has subtites ... I cant figure out how to turn them off ... the CC is greyed out .
Would love to figure this one out ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2015, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPPYREGO View Post
.. Closed Captioning ....
Sometimes I watch movies, TV Series from a USB and it has subtites ... I cant figure out how to turn them off ... the CC is greyed out .

I'm not sure which menus\ways you are trying to turn off CC, especialy since I don't use subtitles, but page 72 of the manual shows that when the video plays you press the Q Menu button and go to Set Video play and the settings are called Subtitle Language and Language. Give that a shot and let us know.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is there a hack or something that can be done to watch Amazon Prime movies without buying an Amazon stick? I thought this TV had an Amazon app but when I tried to watch an Amazon Prime movie the other day the app wasn't there anymore. I do have a Chromecast but apparently Amazon Prime doesn't work with Chromecast.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Just want to say that I've had the 47" model since Feb 2012, and it's still superb! After about a month, I went into the service menu and activated the THX modes (Bright Room), made a few PQ tweaks, and I have not touched anything since. Most of the time, I watch a 65" Panny plasma in the downstairs family room, but the PQ of this 47" LG always impresses me - one of the best buys I've ever made. Enjoy yours!
I came here to see if anyone could gauge how much the 55LW5600 could sell for these days, but now i'm curious to know what this THX mode is.

I don't see any info on it through a google search and i don't find it in any of my settings.

Anyone want to point me in the right direction please?
Old 01-08-2016, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailKingCeezer View Post
I came here to see if anyone could gauge how much the 55LW5600 could sell for these days, but now i'm curious to know what this THX mode is.
I don't see any info on it through a google search and i don't find it in any of my settings.
Anyone want to point me in the right direction please?
You can run a search on THX in this thread and find the info you're seeking.
For me, post# 5146 on page 172 of this thread was a good entry point to start learning more on this subject. Essentially, you can use a universal remote to access the service menu, in which you can navigate to some otherwise hidden settings, such as for THX picture modes. I have the 47LW5600 and I made these settings changes back in 2012, so I no longer recall much of the tech details, including whether it will work on your 55" model.

Don't use a big word when a more diminutive one would suffice.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It will work on the 55" model. I have that model and did the universal remote trick mentioned and was able to activate the THX modes. They are a nice feature to have. I have also used the settings found in this topic to fine tune the picture. I have had them set that way for awhile now and really like the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
You can run a search on THX in this thread and find the info you're seeking.
For me, post# 5146 on page 172 of this thread was a good entry point to start learning more on this subject. Essentially, you can use a universal remote to access the service menu, in which you can navigate to some otherwise hidden settings, such as for THX picture modes. I have the 47LW5600 and I made these settings changes back in 2012, so I no longer recall much of the tech details, including whether it will work on your 55" model.
I've been searching past hour and only running into calibration settings which i have been toying around with, but no mention on how i get to the service menu with my harmony remote or what to do when i get there to turn THX on...

EDIT: So i've found instructions on how to turn them on, but i still have no clear instructions how to get to the service menu. I have a harmony 700 remote.
This here perfectly describes what to do http://beau.org/~jmorris/linux/lg-hacking/ez-adjust.txt but conveniently leaves out how i actually get to the service menu. Is this something illegal that i won't find online or something? I search and search, but find no clear answers or instructions.

Last edited by HailKingCeezer; 01-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by HailKingCeezer View Post
I've been searching past hour and only running into calibration settings which i have been toying around with, but no mention on how i get to the service menu with my harmony remote or what to do when i get there to turn THX on...
EDIT: So i've found instructions on how to turn them on, but i still have no clear instructions how to get to the service menu. I have a harmony 700 remote.
This here perfectly describes what to do http://beau.org/~jmorris/linux/lg-hacking/ez-adjust.txt but conveniently leaves out how i actually get to the service menu. Is this something illegal that i won't find online or something? I search and search, but find no clear answers or instructions.
I believe there's no single post that has everything needed, so you will need to search and read thru many posts in this thread. There is a post on page 170 that provides a link to a wiki page that I recall using for learning how to access the service menu using a cheap universal-type RCA remote. You may also need to scan thru posts from page 170 to 185 or so to gather in all the relevant info. For example, what one person offered in earlier posts may have since changed or been corrected in later posts. As an example (IIRC), early on it was believed that once you activated the THX modes, the PQ settings were frozen at those THX values. Later on, it was discovered that you can enter a code (maybe 08471 or something) that opens up the THX PQ settings for more adjustments. This is the type of info that spans across the various posts on accessing the service menu and making settings changes. I think I pondered doing this for about 3 weeks before I felt confident that I understood the procedures...and risks.
Perhaps other members will offer better info on this subject.
HailKingCeezer likes this.

Don't use a big word when a more diminutive one would suffice.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

My TV had an update today. Any idea what it changed/fixed?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there some reasonable way (other than buying another product or attaching my laptop to the TV with HDMI cables) to watch movies from Amazon Prime on this TV set? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Same situation...same question :question: Anybody?
(TV got an update)
Old 04-02-2016, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsee13 View Post
Is there some reasonable way (other than buying another product or attaching my laptop to the TV with HDMI cables) to watch movies from Amazon Prime on this TV set? Thanks.
No. Amazon killed the App on many "older" TVs.

Spend $40 or less and buy a Fire Stick or Roku Stick. That's really the only solution.

I'm shocked the Netflix and Hulu app still work.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My 55LW5600 that has just over 7000 hours on it died tonight. It was on for at least a half hour then just shut off. When trying to turn back on the relay clicks and power LED just flashes red red white them off.
Anyone experience this same issue? I have repaired dozens of flat panel LCD and plasma TV's, mainly power supply caps, backlight LED's...
Old 04-24-2016, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone, brand new to the forum, Picked up a 55LW659S German Version of the 55LW6500. repaired it by replacing the T-Con board, and it worked great for maybe a day. It seems that the T-CON board is failing again im not sure if anyone has had these issues but the picture ends up getting what looks like a wave going across the screen and starts to slow down as if the board is failing again. So im thinking its either the Mainboard or the Powersupply. But im curious if anyone else has ran into these issues. I can post a video or pictures if you guys need it. I have poured over these forums and finally decided to make an account to ask this question. Thanks for repsonses in advance everyone
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeshort View Post
Hey everyone, brand new to the forum, Picked up a 55LW659S German Version of the 55LW6500. repaired it by replacing the T-Con board, and it worked great for maybe a day. It seems that the T-CON board is failing again im not sure if anyone has had these issues but the picture ends up getting what looks like a wave going across the screen and starts to slow down as if the board is failing again. So im thinking its either the Mainboard or the Powersupply. But im curious if anyone else has ran into these issues. I can post a video or pictures if you guys need it. I have poured over these forums and finally decided to make an account to ask this question. Thanks for repsonses in advance everyone
I ended up placing my main board in the oven for 10 minutes at 385*F. Everything is working now. This seems to be a common problem and fix for 2010/2011 LG TV's.

ERIC
Old 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Has anyone owned this TV for a long period of time and can comment on it's reliability? I'm hesitant to buy LG again after such a terrible experience with my 42LS4700, which had backlighting problems
Old 05-05-2016, 09:02 AM

I've had my 55" since Feb 2012 and it hasn't had any issues yet. We probably have it on at least 3 hours a day. Still getting firmware updates this year, too. I have never used it as anything but a dumb HDMI display so I can't speak to the other features.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLahey007 View Post
Has anyone owned this TV for a long period of time and can comment on it's reliability? I'm hesitant to buy LG again after such a terrible experience with my 42LS4700, which had backlighting problems
I have had this TV since June 2011, had one problem with it-would not turn on a few months after buying it. They sent a repairman out who installed a new part replaced the back on the TV and rehung it on the wall. N/C under warranty. Have not had a problem with it since. It's usually on 5-6 hours a day except for the summer months. Just got updated software update and was told By LG support their would be a new update coming in July. Pleasantly Surprised they are updating software on a five year old model. I would buy again but their are newer LG 4K models out now selling for less than I paid 2011. 55" LG 4K Smart TV is on Amazon for 849.00.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyLahey007 View Post
Had mine since it was first released, no problems whatsoever and it's in use at least 6 hours daily. As far as I'm concerned, LG is great. They certainly are offering very innovative products and I can't fault them at all.
My laundry centre is all LG too.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 AM

Coming up on 5 years owning the 55" (oct 2011). No issues whatsoever.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had mine since 2011 I think and it's still working. Shocked I got a firmware update on this even though my 2013 LG hasn't had one in years (GoogleTV).

It's a bedroom TV so it gets maybe 6-7 hours of use a week now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv