Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I updated last night. I did not test the 3-D but my Netflix previously doesn't work, it work now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Pioneer documents what changed in their blu ray player updates. It would be nice if LG did the same. There is nowhere in this article that said it was part of the latest update. The timing of the article suggests that it did happen, but that is not 100% cast in concrete.
post #813 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Article states "The software update might be ready now or very soon in your country." Again, it might not be the FW update that was released yesterday.
post #814 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slirp View Post

After asking the same question my wife pointed something rediculously simple out to me. Go to a movie, wait for most people to leave after. Grab handfulls of glasses from the recycle container, take them home, clean and sterilize them. You get as many pairs as you want. I'm not sure what the theater does with them afterward, but I assume it wouldn't be considered stealing to do this.

No offense, but if you ask to keep your glasses, and the theater staff say OK, then fine. But if they don't say its OK, why wouldn't you consider this stealing? (Admittedly "minor" stealing...) I don't think it is safe to assume that the theater is throwing the glasses away after collecting them. I would think that they are putting them through some form of mass cleaning process, to reuse them. Perhaps they are sent back to the glasses supplier, who do the cleaning process... (If someone actually knows what the theaters do, that would be interesting.)

Later add: I guess I was wrong! The "consensus" view seems to be that the Real D glasses are indeed "bought and paid for" and therefore OK to take. I guess what I was remembering was from a 3D IMAX showing, where they definitely wanted the glasses back. Sorry!
post #815 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk1973 View Post

Thanks grivad a lot for the information. In fact, we are not talking about "3D Vision" but "NVIDIA 3DTV Play software", it's just a piece of software/driver that you can continue to use the 3D glasses come with your TV.

It happens that I have recently bought a NVIDIA video card and not planning to switch to ATI so it would be good if this LG 3D Cinema TV supports it.

No problem! Interesting, I hadn't heard of the 3DTV Play stuff.. I've been a die-hard nVidia fan since my GF3 Ti 200, but I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the Radeon 5770 for the HTPC. I'm keeping my beloved nVidia in my desktop though

The system requirements say it supports the 55LW6500, so I don't see why it wouldn't support the LW5600, unless for some reason it requires a 240Hz TV which wouldn't really make sense.
post #816 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 09:50 AM

LG's new/revised algorithm was described in another article I saw someplace - more or less in the same terms, although the other article was a bit more clearly written. But basically they are alternating which half of the content lines gets used for each eye's 540 display lines. So averaged over time, each eye DOES see all 1080 line of content. But at any instant of time, it is still true that each eye is seeing 540 lines.

It is still true that the polarized screen film only allows each eye to see 540 lines (while wearing the glasses) - this is not changed by the new firmware. So even while the 540 lines being shown to a given eye (the left eye, say) is flip-flopping between the odds and even lines of the original content, the LOCATION of those two sets of 540 lines is always being displayed at the same "left eye" set of 540 rows. In other words there is small vertical displacement when "the other half" of the content lines is being displayed. (This is hard to describe verbally....) I believe this is why Tru-Motion needs to be turned off with this new algorithm.

In the end, I think that the fundamental properties of the polarized screen film make the resolution not quite as good as with active. And the benefits of this new algorithm may be more in terms of marketing benefit, with very slight actual viewing benefit. But at the same time, I always thought the resolution of our sets' passive 3D was very good. Not quite as good as active, but much better than "half as good". And the other benefits of the passive approach far outweigh (for me, anyway) the very slight resolution impact.
post #817 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 AM

I always assumed you are paying for the glasses and volintarily giving them back for recyceling like a soda bottle. How is it stealing if you paid for it?
Like others have said they don't even want them back at many places.
post #818 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Real D glasses are yours to keep. The recycling bins are not mandatory. Theaters that use Dolby and Imax systems will always collect the glasses.
post #819 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 10:43 AM

I am a very happy owner of the 55LW5600 and have been so for about a month now. I have also been following this thread since purchasing so I could keep up on the news and opinions of current and prospective owners. As for the TV itself, it is fantastic. I love the features, the connectivity, and the 3D. I purchased mine from BB with the free bluray player deal. I have since been back to price match the TV and got $120 back. This morning I got on the BB website to see if there were any price changes since my 30 day price match period is almost up. They now have a pretty sweet offer for buying an LG passive 3D TV. You can now get 4 extra pairs of glasses and 3 Bluray 3D titles for free instantly. This was an online offer but I have price matched these types of offers in store before. I went in to my BB and told them what I saw and they looked up my receipt. After a few minutes of explanation to a manager I was out the door with four more pairs of glasses worth $50 and three 3D blurays worth $40 a piece. This great TV keeps getting greater.
post #820 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 01:45 PM

Okay so i been waiting around reading as much as there is on this LG tv. So to try out passive 3d I bought the vizio 3d 47 inch. Well the 3d is amazing! Now I still want the LG 5600 mainly cuz the size (55).
The only thing I dislike about the vizio is the 2d pq. It's great but on dark films like the dark knight it's okay. The vizio has a contrast ratio of 20,000 to 1. Do u think this LG with the 5 mil to 1 contrast ration will look better than the vizio?
post #821 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...v-55LW5600.jsp

8 million to 1 contrast ratio with local dimming (edgelit).
LG can also convert 2D>3D
post #822 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 02:54 PM

Okay guys, kind of a change of pace here...

My mom will be in town for mother's day. Last time I saw her she said she didn't understand all the fuss about 3D. I'm sure she probably hasn't seen a 3D movie since the glasses were paper with red and blue lenses.

She has no idea that I bought a 3D tv.

What should I show her that will make her understand all the fuss about 3D? I read somewhere that Avatar doesn't show too well on this tv. What does?

I have Directv, an Xbox 360, and a PS3 (all connected to the net). Should I get a different blue ray player due to the PS3 lines? Or is there something good I can stream or watch on Directv?

I want her to go home telling everyone how awesome 3D is, especially the 3D at my house, lol.
post #823 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Use your 5.99 credit on Vudu and stream Tangled in 3D
post #824 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivad

No problem! Interesting, I hadn't heard of the 3DTV Play stuff.. I've been a die-hard nVidia fan since my GF3 Ti 200, but I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the Radeon 5770 for the HTPC. I'm keeping my beloved nVidia in my desktop though

The system requirements say it supports the 55LW6500, so I don't see why it wouldn't support the LW5600, unless for some reason it requires a 240Hz TV which wouldn't really make sense.
I really doubt that the video card could support a 240Hz refresh rate, especially at at 1080p resolution, so I'm confident that it should support the LW5600.
post #825 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinWolf View Post
Okay guys, kind of a change of pace here...

My mom will be in town for mother's day. Last time I saw her she said she didn't understand all the fuss about 3D. I'm sure she probably hasn't seen a 3D movie since the glasses were paper with red and blue lenses.

She has no idea that I bought a 3D tv.

What should I show her that will make her understand all the fuss about 3D? I read somewhere that Avatar doesn't show too well on this tv. What does?

I have Directv, an Xbox 360, and a PS3 (all connected to the net). Should I get a different blue ray player due to the PS3 lines? Or is there something good I can stream or watch on Directv?

I want her to go home telling everyone how awesome 3D is, especially the 3D at my house, lol.
I'm not sure about the Avatar situation, but in the 3D Content area of this forum site there are some good reviews of "Tangled". It's animated, of course, so perhaps it is not quite as impressive, but apparently the 3D is very well done. And the "Rapunzel" (updated) story line might appeal to your Mom.
post #826 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 05:46 PM

I thoght the 3d on the ocean movie in the store showed 3d very well. The farther away i got the more the fish seemed like it was 10 ft. out of the tv.
Depth not as much but very good.
post #827 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 PM

Cool, I'll have to check out Tangled. I had no idea there was a Vudu credit. Is that one of the tv apps (I'm at work so can't check)? I haven't played with any of those yet.

Does Vudu stream 3D or is it only 2D and the tv converts it?
post #828 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 06:20 PM

It streams 3D
There are also several 3D clips to watch.. I think they have free 2 minutes previews.

Quote:

Cool, I'll have to check out Tangled. I had no idea there was a Vudu credit. Is that one of the tv apps (I'm at work so can't check)? I haven't played with any of those yet.

post #829 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

FRom my prior post, which you must not have seen a couple pages ago:

"I just successfully paired the iPod Touch [4th gen] with this TV. It works great. I also noticed that VUDU gives us a $5.99 credit and you do not need to sign up. That's good for at least one HD movie, or five 99 cent movies of the day! Netflix offers a free month, but I don't know the exact deal and you get mailing from them weekly for similar deals."
post #830 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Awesome, thanks guys! I guess I need to get the Vudu set up and start streaming some 3D movies.
post #831 of 8235 Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM

Why is no one talking about the COOLEST feature of this TV? PLEX!!!

PLEX works great, but ultimately I returned the TV because I could not get past the clouding and flash-lighting.

I may do a full review, but for now here is the short version:

PROS:

PLEX!!!!
4 pairs of 3D glasses
Very thin
2 remotes
iPhone remote app

CONS:

Clouding
Flashlighting
Netflix not working
Poor sound quality - I know... what do you expect from such a thin TV?
Impossible to calibrate
Black crush

It's weird, the color seemed accurate enough when calibrating using DVE, but greyscale was impossible without bringing in all of the clouding/screen uniformity issues.

I chose this TV because of PLEX, and it IS wonderful.

Also the 3d looked nice. No ghosting and resolution was not an issue.
One thing to note; The cheap 3D glasses have flimsy film-like lenses and are inconsistent between each pair. Some give a much better picture than others. One pair that I had produced bad ghosting. I would image hard plastic lenses from a third party mfg would be the way to go.

Turn off true motion to get rid of judder.

Daytime viewing for video based material is great, but night time viewing for movies... and it all falls apart.

All in all I think Plasma fits me best. I'm now waiting on delivery of the 50PZ750.
post #832 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknrox View Post

PLEX works great, but ultimately I returned the TV because I could not get past the clouding and flash-lighting.

I may do a full review, but for now here is the short version:

PROS:

PLEX!!!!
4 pairs of 3D glasses
Very thin
2 remotes
iPhone remote app

CONS:

Clouding
Flashlighting
Netflix not working
Poor sound quality - I know... what do you expect from such a thin TV?
Impossible to calibrate
Black crush

It's weird, the color seemed accurate enough when calibrating using DVE, but greyscale was impossible without bringing in all of the clouding/screen uniformity issues.

I chose this TV because of PLEX, and it IS wonderful.

Also the 3d looked nice. No ghosting and resolution was not an issue.
One thing to note; The cheap 3D glasses have flimsy film-like lenses and are inconsistent between each pair. Some give a much better picture than others. One pair that I had produced bad ghosting. I would image hard plastic lenses from a third party mfg would be the way to go.

Turn off true motion to get rid of judder.

Daytime viewing for video based material is great, but night time viewing for movies... and it all falls apart.

All in all I think Plasma fits me best. I'm now waiting on delivery of the 50PZ750.

What size screen did you have? Did you use the local dimming and still have clouding / flashlighting problems?
post #833 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 AM

This TV is $1199 at Frys.com with 8 glasses. I'd have to get it online and pay shipping though, no Fry's near me. I hope they don't such at returns.
post #834 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 04:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankucon View Post

This TV is $1199 at Frys.com with 8 glasses. I'd have to get it online and pay shipping though, no Fry's near me. I hope they don't such at returns.

Here's the link to the dealnews.com site that has the fry's link:

http://dealmac.com/LG-55-1080-p-3-D-...up/459950.html
post #835 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 05:14 AM

I had the 47LW5600. Clouding does go away when using local dimming, but you'll get halos around words and can see banded light coming in from the sides to light other areas of the display. I found I got a better overall picture with local dimming off. This was my first local dimming TV, but IMO the technology doesn't work. Also you only see clouding on dark scenes, so Mythbusters looks great, but movies in a darkened room do not.
post #836 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:

I mentioned PLEX a few posts back, but no one seemed to notice. I think that it's because most people don't know what PLEX is.

http://www.plexapp.com/

I think that this is one of the best features of the LW5600. I can now stream movies from my digital video collection, as well as use video plug-ins to watch various channels online, such as Hulu.
post #837 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankucon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

Here's the link to the dealnews.com site that has the fry's link:

http://dealmac.com/LG-55-1080-p-3-D-...up/459950.html

Excellent find guys! Since I've only had my set for about 2 weeks it looks like I'll be getting 300 back and 4 more pairs of glasses!
post #838 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 AM

Amen brother. I watched TV for 2 weeks and never once used cable. Talk about cutting the cord. This is the future of television.

Also I'm amazed that its not mentioned anywhere on the box or the instruction manual. There has been little news from press releases, and even Crutchfield who normally has excellent "Hands-on" write-ups, never even mentions it. And of course the guys at Best Buy had no clue what I was talking about.

Is LG trying to keep this a secret?!
post #839 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 AM

I'm about to buy this, just wanted to ask - is there a particular superior panel type for this TV I should be getting or are they all the same? I didn't know if there was a panel lottery with this model. Are they all IPS?
post #840 of 8235 Old 05-06-2011, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Amen brother. I watched TV for 2 weeks and never once used cable. Talk about cutting the cord. This is the future of television.

Also I'm amazed that its not mentioned anywhere on the box or the instruction manual. There has been little news from press releases, and even Crutchfield who normally has excellent "Hands-on" write-ups, never even mentions it. And of course the guys at Best Buy had no clue what I was talking about.

Is LG trying to keep this a secret?!

can you comment more please on PQ? because you mentioned using it at night isnt good
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page