Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoysLandC View Post

All,
I got the LG 55LW5600 yesterday.

So far all I've done is set it up and test out the passive 3D with both Despicable Me 3D and Avatar 3D. I think it looks fantastic! From a 3D comparison perspective the picture is much better than any of the store demos I've seen with active shutter glasses. The picture is much brighter, viewing angles are fantastic, the image has little to no crosstalk visible to me, and my mind isn't registering the loss in resolution you get with passive. To be fair, I'm not comparing passive and active side-by-side, I'm going off of my active impressions from the store vs what I see at home.

Also, the Real3D glasses do work. I actually bought a pack of 10 of them from Amazon for $25 and they work as good as the ones that shipped with the TV.

I was nervous seeing some of the other initial reactions to this TV, but in my limited exposure thus far I'm very happy with my purchase.

Congrats on the new set and great to know that you are enjoying it!

I was wondering if you are into gaming much and if so, could you share some experience on the lag without game mode on? Having to live with poor blacks in the game mode is a big negative. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8249 Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
3D doesn't work on Youtube. Didn't work on Samsung either. You'll have to download it and then play it from the onboard media player which does allow 3D.
post #63 of 8249 Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Reds4ever,

I'm watching everything converted to 3D. Try it, you'll like it.
post #64 of 8249 Old 03-10-2011, 11:10 PM

Bill,

Thanks, that's great to know. The general feedback from 2D-3D conversion systems last year was that they were good for some content but more of a gimmick otherwise. Your experience gives a lot of hope. Chad also noted in his review that he liked the 2D-3D conversion.

I sure hope to try the set myself soon. Am from India and anxiously waiting for this model to get released here.
post #65 of 8249 Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 AM

Liked: 12
As I mentioned before, I reside in Korea and I have the LW5700 model. I believe the only difference from the North American model is that the LW5700 is 240 hrz.

I also said that my 5700 died the other day (I had it for 2 days). Well, 5 days later LG arrived with another TV for me. I got it all set up but had to run to work. Can't wait to get home a play with it. They brought it STRAIGHT from the LG factory. He showed me the manufacture date on my old set: 02/11 and my new sat he said (in korean of course) was manufactured this month 03/11. He said it will make a difference.

I did have the LEX8 but in 3D mode and Internet/HDD mode the screen got horrible bleeding. You can see my picks in the LG 2011 line-up thread.

I must say that the black levels on this set don't compare to the LEX8, but I want to do some 3D gaming and I must say:

The 3D on the passive sets really does make a HUGE difference. It is bright and clear. Comfortable. You don't have to worry about tilting your head and losing picture. There is NO crosstalk whatsoever. Yes, you lose resolution but with all the pluses to passive it really makes the experience better. Its hard to see a resolution drop anyways because most games aren't in full HD anyways. I can't see the difference with Alice in Wonderland either.

The 3D mode on my former LEX8 had so much ghosting (is that what we call crosstalk?) it wasn't funny.

Plus the 2D-3D conversion really works well. Adds some serious depth. I played a quick game of Fight Night champion in 2D-3D conversion before I left. It was really cool.

My only concern is that in the long haul will I tire of 3D? Is it a gimmick? Will we all end up going for great 2D in the end?

They need to make a Matte screen, passive, full LED local dimming set. Just make us happy next year LG.

One more thing: What is all this nonsense about IPS panels? I have a 55". Do all 2011 LG tv's have ips panels?

I answer any questions if I can.
post #66 of 8249 Old 03-11-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nony View Post

What is the FCC ID of your set?

I'll check this tonight.
post #67 of 8249 Old 03-11-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post

A few questions..
does the SmartTV have a listing of the apps available?
is there a Skype app and an option to add a camera for video chat?
can you try the following with the YouTube app?
http://www.youtube.com/user/3D
It's the 3D youtube channel.. you can change the 3D settings for 3DTVs

You can change the settings for 3D TV or Monitor:
Interleaved rows, columns or checkerboard
Side by side

I'll try to look at these tonight/tomorrow and get back to you.
post #68 of 8249 Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:

A few questions..

Side by side

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds4ever View Post

I was wondering if you are into gaming much and if so, could you share some experience on the lag without game mode on? Having to live with poor blacks in the game mode is a big negative. Thanks.

I'm not much of a console gamer, but I have Kill Zone (which came with the PS3 bundle I bought) and Little Big Planet and I'll try to do this during the weekend.
post #69 of 8249 Old 03-11-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:

I was nervous seeing some of the other initial reactions to this TV, but in my limited exposure thus far I'm very happy with my purchase.

People where reacting on old model LG's and on a unit they have not seen. Great set overall, with real cheap 3D glasses option and no headaches or side affects active glasses have.

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

/

/
post #70 of 8249 Old 03-12-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Hey Chris, I see you guys also just got the 6500 series passive in stock! Will Chad be doing a review of this model.
post #71 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:

All,
I got the LG 55LW5600 yesterday.

So far all I've done is set it up and test out the passive 3D with both Despicable Me 3D and Avatar 3D. I think it looks fantastic! From a 3D comparison perspective the picture is much better than any of the store demos I've seen with active shutter glasses. The picture is much brighter, viewing angles are fantastic, the image has little to no crosstalk visible to me, and my mind isn't registering the loss in resolution you get with passive. To be fair, I'm not comparing passive and active side-by-side, I'm going off of my active impressions from the store vs what I see at home.

Also, the Real3D glasses do work. I actually bought a pack of 10 of them from Amazon for $25 and they work as good as the ones that shipped with the TV.

How far do you sit from your 55" set for 2D/3D and does it differ?

Thanks,
Mosdmc
post #72 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:

what is the fcc id of your set?

bej55lw6500ua
post #73 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:

A few questions..

Side by side

Regarding apps:
Right now the Web browser (so I can't check out the youtube site) and Media Link both say "coming soon"
Under LG apps I don't see anything for Skype - there aren't many available yet and most are games (like Sudoku, Mahjong, etc...)
post #74 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds4ever View Post

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not really a FPS gamer and have only tried this with Little Big Planet, but I did not notice a discernible lag between the standard mode and gaming mode.
post #75 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

bej55lw6500ua

Thanks!

It's interesting that the FCCID for 55LW5600 is BEJ55LW6500UA.

-nony
post #76 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks!

It's interesting that the FCCID for 55LW5600 is BEJ55LW6500UA.

-nony

That is interesting. I didn't even think anything of it until you pointed it out. I just doublechecked and that is the fcc id.
post #77 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hey MyBoys, did you get a chance to try out Killzone yet?
post #78 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneyman View Post

Hey Chris, I see you guys also just got the 6500 series passive in stock! Will Chad be doing a review of this model.

Maybe, as soon as someone buys the 55LW5600 we have with FREE calibration added

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #79 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That is interesting. I didn't even think anything of it until you pointed it out. I just doublechecked and that is the fcc id.

There is a slight problem here. The FCC test report for FCC ID BEJ55LW6500UA specifically states that the EUT is model 55LW6500. There is no referencing of model 55LW5600 in the Label Info and Test Report as can be seen here - https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...;BEJ55LW6500UA'

I'm assuming that the FCC ID label on the back of your set has the actual model number (55LW5600-UA) in the Model No. and Product Code fields. If the ModelNo. and Product Code fields on your label show 55LW6500-UA, LG is in compliance.

-nony
post #80 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

There is a slight problem here. The FCC test report for FCC ID BEJ55LW6500UA specifically states that the EUT is model 55LW6500. There is no referencing of model 55LW5600 in the Label Info and Test Report as can be seen here - https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...;BEJ55LW6500UA'

I'm assuming that the FCC ID label on the back of your set has the actual model number (55LW5600-UA) in the Model No. and Product Code fields.

-nony

It's interesting to see all the data they post.
How did you find this on the FCC page? I entered the number in the search box but nothing was returned.

55LW5600 (mfg date 3/11)

LN-T4661FX/XAA

post #81 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's interesting to see all the data they post.
How did you find this on the FCC page? I entered the number in the search box but nothing was returned.

Start from here - https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm

-nony
post #82 of 8249 Old 03-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Start from here - https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm

-nony

Cool..thanks..now back to the regulary scheduled LG discussion

55LW5600 (mfg date 3/11)

LN-T4661FX/XAA

post #83 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 AM

Hello, a request,...is it possible to post screenshots from

1. the black level in 2D?
2. the black level in 3D?

it would very interesting for us in germany to see the different.
post #84 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

I went to Best Buy today to check these models out and they had the 5500 displaying HD content, but the 5600 passive 3D was only on an LG kiosk doing nothing. I inspected the 5500 picture quite closely and noticed the screen is VERY matte and has a serious diffusion/washout even when standing right in front of the tv, but especially at off angles. I also noticed that blacks on the 5500 were quite gray but I'm sure that can be fiddled with. I just wanted to ask if anyone can tell me if the screen coating is the same on the 5600 3D passive model as the 5500 non 3D models and if the screen has better "pop"/sharpness. Lastly, can you tell me if the 6500 series has the same screen/coating as the other 2 models.

When at Best Buy, I inspected the actual materials/frame of the 5600 kiosk and noticed those plastic edges/wings on the set were all shredded up just from them unpacking and setting it up.. the plastic edges felt really cheap like plastic blister packs (those tough plastic packs you can never get open and always need a knife for).. was not crazy about this use of materials on the set. I wonder if the 6500 series uses something else.

I did like that the 5500 LG had very natural colors though.

I really appreciate your help

Thanks,
Eddie
post #85 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Is this a question?

Thanks Fox. Yea, it was more of a mulling I guess. I really like the idea of a fully functioning browser. But if it is not actually working yet on the TV it makes me a little leery.
post #86 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

Thanks Fox. Yea, it was more of a mulling I guess. I really like the idea of a fully functioning browser. But if it is not actually working yet on the TV it makes me a little leery.

I found this:

http://hometheater.about.com/od/onth...Ces-2011_7.htm

"Shown in this photo is an example of the Web Browser that LG is offering on some of its LCD and Plasma TVs. The web browser works just like a PC web browser, except you use your TV remote control, or iPhone/Android phone, to navigate the functions. In fact, if you use an iPhone or Android phone, you can speak the website addresses into the phone and the web browser will usually get it right. As you can see (plug alert!), my About.com Home Theater Webpage is being featured for this photo."

Not sure what they are talking about with the iPhone/Android reference. I guess it could talk to it over wifi which would be pretty slick but I would think it would have some mention of this on the box or site as a "cool feature"

I also asked via LG chat about the list of apps and availability the web browser:

Here's the list..
Current Premium Apps
Netflix
Vudu <-------------- They have 3D rentals including 3d free trailers
CinemaNow
MLB TV
YouTube <----------- There is a 3D channel but as pointed out earlier in this thread, it doesn't work in this app.
Viewster
facebook
twitter
vTuner
Google Maps
Picasa
AccuWeather

answer to the browser questions:
There was actually an update scheduled for today, to add the browser and other features.

55LW5600 (mfg date 3/11)

LN-T4661FX/XAA

post #87 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Thanks again Fox. Sounds a little more hopeful!
post #88 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juppaerzezupp View Post

Hello, a request,...is it possible to post screenshots from

1. the black level in 2D?
2. the black level in 3D?

it would very interesting for us in germany to see the different.

See Chad's review.
post #89 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Browser is slow. Still can't turn on 3D with Youtube. They need to implement that.
post #90 of 8249 Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:

Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not really a FPS gamer and have only tried this with Little Big Planet, but I did not notice a discernible lag between the standard mode and gaming mode.

MyBoysLandC, many thanks!! This is encouraging.. :-)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page