Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread
sinistro's Avatar sinistro 04:02 AM 03-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds4ever View Post

MyBoysLandC, many thanks!! This is encouraging.. :-)

I dont notice it directly when I play against the AI but online I notice the difference between 40ms ( my sony ) and 25ms ( my philips ) on my k/d average.

reds4ever's Avatar reds4ever 11:30 PM 03-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistro View Post

I dont notice it directly when I play against the AI but online I notice the difference between 40ms ( my sony ) and 25ms ( my philips ) on my k/d average.

Thanks a lot, sinistro!
megashock5's Avatar megashock5 08:18 AM 03-16-2011
Finally saw the 55LW5600 at my local Best Buy yesterday. Unfortunately, they didn't have a 3D demo disc so I only got to see the 2D>3D conversion, but I was impressed with how lightweight and unobtrusive the glasses were. I'm mainly concerned with 2D quality anyway.

I'm trying to decide between this and the Sony KDL55EX723. The Sony is slightly glossier, but still at least somewhat matte. I have large windows in my family room so I'm sensitive to screen glossiness. The black levels on the Sony might be a bit better with the glossier screen, but I'd probably never buy the expensive glasses. With the LG including four pairs in the box, I'd at least try it out on some things.

Decisions, decisions...
fox1541's Avatar fox1541 06:29 AM 03-17-2011
I picked up my 55LW5600 last night (it's born on date was March 11th so it was fresh off the plane) and can now clarify some questions I had earlier.

The apps available are at http://us.lgtvapp.com

3D YouTube channels play, but the set doesn't give you the option to switch on 3D, so you only see the videos side-by-side.

Comcast has 2 HD channels.. ESPN 3D and an events channels.. I saw some show about Mummys.

ESPN3D:
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...casting-espn3d

Events channel:
http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...l-broadcasting

The web browser seems to be a full browser..speed was decent for light surfing, but I only tried a few sites.. I did try YouTube (from the browser.. not the app) and it required Flash 10 so you'll be limited by that.

NetFlix worked very well...better than on my Windows 7 Media Center.

The 3D 2 minutes previews on VUDU were nice.. I saw the previews for TRON, BOLT and Alice in Wonderland.

I'm surprised there's no Pandora.. it seems like all connected devices now have that one.

The above is all with a wireless connection.

Other than the above, I didn't really play with the set too much.. Most of the time was spent replacing the old set..hooking up the connections and reprogramming my MX-950.. Line of site remotes are so last decade

I went through the Picture Wizard setup and haven't done any more adjustments. So far I'm happy with the picture but haven't even watch a full show.

Feel free to ask anything else.
megashock5's Avatar megashock5 06:37 AM 03-17-2011
Fox, what do you think of the black levels?

That's the one thing I'm worried about. My 47LC7DF black levels are average at best, but I assume this would be a big improvement with the local dimming.

The Sony is supposed to be great in this regard, but everything else is pointing me toward the 5600.
fox1541's Avatar fox1541 07:46 AM 03-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

Fox, what do you think of the black levels?

That's the one thing I'm worried about. My 47LC7DF black levels are average at best, but I assume this would be a big improvement with the local dimming.

The Sony is supposed to be great in this regard, but everything else is pointing me toward the 5600.

It doesn't seem as black as by dad's 6 year old Panasonic plasma, but it seemed on-par with my last 46" Samsung.. that could all be due to setting the levels correctly.

I did notice some light leakage in the corners.. again that could also be due to level settings..

The room it's in has a lot of window so the matte screen was the biggest factor in my choice.
megashock5's Avatar megashock5 09:20 AM 03-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post

It doesn't seem as black as by dad's 6 year old Panasonic plasma, but it seemed on-par with my last 46" Samsung.. that could all be due to setting the levels correctly.

I did notice some light leakage in the corners.. again that could also be due to level settings..

The room it's in has a lot of window so the matte screen was the biggest factor in my choice.

Thanks for the info. I assume you had the local dimming on? Was is set on high?

I have four large windows in my family room, so that's a big deal for me as well. I have no doubt this set would do pretty well. The Sony I'm looking at is semi-matte and I'm not sure how it would deal with those windows. Might be a trade off between black level and reflections.

Thanks again!
fox1541's Avatar fox1541 09:42 AM 03-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by megashock5 View Post

Thanks for the info. I assume you had the local dimming on? Was is set on high?

I have four large windows in my family room, so that's a big deal for me as well. I have no doubt this set would do pretty well. The Sony I'm looking at is semi-matte and I'm not sure how it would deal with those windows. Might be a trade off between black level and reflections.

Thanks again!

I haven't even read the manual yet so I didn't do anything with local dimming.. I'll give that a shot tonight.
megashock5's Avatar megashock5 10:32 AM 03-17-2011
Quote:

I haven't even read the manual yet so I didn't do anything with local dimming.. I'll give that a shot tonight.

Gotcha. Whenever you have time to mess with it, if you wouldn't mind posting what you think I'd greatly appreciate it. I won't be deciding for a couple of weeks at the earliest.

Thanks again for the early impressions.
Bill's Avatar Bill 01:10 PM 03-17-2011
Did you not read Chad's review? With light in the room, this is a great set- black levels and all.
megashock5's Avatar megashock5 01:27 PM 03-17-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Did you not read Chad's review? With light in the room, this is a great set- black levels and all.

I did, but another user was complaining about them (may not have calibrated or turned on the local dimming yet), and Chad's comment about "not the set for you if you watch with the lights off" toward the end concerned me a bit.

Just trying to get another opinion. Daylight is my main concern, and I know you can't have everything in one set, but I hope it's not too distractingly bad in the dark. I never watch in the dark on my current LG because it looks grey, but it's around 4 years old.
nony's Avatar nony 08:59 PM 03-17-2011
Quote:

Cool..thanks..now back to the regulary scheduled LG discussion

continued...

If the FCC label on your set indicates that the 55LW5600-UA is technically not FCC-certified because the label has the following info -

LG 55LW5600
Model No - 55LW5600-UA
Product Code - 55LW5600-UA.AUSXXXX (XXXX=YLHR|YLUR|YLJR)
FCC ID - BEJ55LW6500UA

Then the FCC ID on your label is for the 55LW6500 model and not the 55LW5600 that you purchased, in which case LG simply has to acknowledge their mistake and fix the label to point to the actual grant that was issued for your set.

If, however, there has been no FCC grant for the 55LW5600 (I don't see one on the FCC web site), then,

LG (and every other entity in the US distribution chain) simply has to cease and desist any and all marketing activities of the 55LW5600 until said grant is issued and possibly incur a penalty from the Enforcement Bureau.

What is on your label?

-nony
Shawnwhann's Avatar Shawnwhann 11:07 AM 03-19-2011
I'm no reviewer or anything, but I bought this 55LW5600 set two days ago, and while it looks outstanding, the input lag on the gaming side is atrocious. Fight Night Champion, NBA 2K11 are very sluggish and MLB 11 is virtually unplayable.

I'm going to try and play with settings, but it's already on "Game" mode and I have all the post-processing stuff off already
CATYPH202's Avatar CATYPH202 02:55 PM 03-19-2011
-It's older LG's 47" Passive 3D CCFL from England (LG 47LD950),but still:

"Gaming Performance

Whilst I make no claims to be a regular gamer I ended up playing quite a few games on the 47LD950, mostly in 3D. I found the response on 'Avatar', 'WipeOut' and 'Super Stardust' to be very responsive and I certainly wasn't aware of any lag. In actual tests I found that my calibrated ISF Expert1 preset measured a lag of 30ms which is pretty good and should keep most people happy. Curiously when I used Game mode the lag increased to 50ms which is very odd. Usually you get the smallest lag times in Game mode and I can only assume that there was some video processing in game mode that slowed the 47LD950 down. My ISF Expert1 preset had every extraneous function turned off which might account for the faster response time." - http://www.avforums.com/review/LG-LD...sive-HDTV.html
henbone11's Avatar henbone11 03:46 PM 03-19-2011
saw the 55" at best buy today. fantastic 2d PQ. the 3D was rather disappointing though. I doubt I would use it much for 3D actually, but since its a feature included with the set I was hoping for more. I cant wait to see the largest when/if its released this year.
Bill's Avatar Bill 05:43 PM 03-19-2011
You were probably too close to the set. If you back up, these sets have tremendous popout from the Demo I saw, but you have to be back. Like at least 1 and 1/2 times the diagonal.
Bill's Avatar Bill 05:50 PM 03-19-2011
megashock5,

I never watch TV in the dark. There is always a light on in the room. Wouldn't think of not having a light on- dangerous. That plus I watch more TV during the day than at night.Great set for daytime.
henbone11's Avatar henbone11 02:28 AM 03-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You were probably too close to the set. If you back up, these sets have tremendous popout from the Demo I saw, but you have to be back. Like at least 1 and 1/2 times the diagonal.
my gf and I backed up to about 15 feet at one point, which is well further than I actually watch (about 12') and well further than the recommended viewing distance for a 55" TV. we watched at varying distances and at no point did the 3D impress. as I say though, the 2D was very impressive. id love to see the larger size released.
Schmo's Avatar Schmo 01:55 PM 03-20-2011
I went to two BestBuys today and neither one of them could play me true 3d content. All they could do is turn on the 2D->3D conversion. The kiosk plays a bunch of stuff, but no true 3D content. The 2D->3D conversion is decent but as mentioned in Chad's review, pretty tame where there is nothing jumping out of the screen at you like some true 3D content.

The one best buy didn't have the 3D demo disc and the other one couldn't figure out how to get the output from the 3D Bluray player to the TV. I am hoping that once I get to see some TRUE 3D content, I will see images sink into the screen as well as pop out of the screen.

Henbone11, are you sure you were viewing true 3D content from the 3D bluray player? If you were just viewing the LG demo kiosk stuff, at best you were seeing 2D->3D conversion.

Jury is still out for me. 2D was quite good from what I could see though.
eneyman's Avatar eneyman 02:16 PM 03-20-2011
^ Hah you were lucky then in my opinion.. I went to 2 best buys and 1 had the 5600 on a corner kiosk playing nothing but a loop of text. I asked why they had a brand new 3D passive set hidden on a corner end cap doing nothing and they had no clue. They had the 5500 on the wall playing hd content but the 5600 passive was useless.. God I miss the Good Guys days, hell I miss the Circuit City days when you can go up to an employee and they would hook up any tv you want to whatever components you want..

Now all we are stuck with are mass marketing kiosks that are absolutely useless and pimply faced stoners with no clue wearing blue shirts.
henbone11's Avatar henbone11 03:44 PM 03-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmo View Post

Henbone11, are you sure you were viewing true 3D content from the 3D bluray player? If you were just viewing the LG demo kiosk stuff, at best you were seeing 2D->3D conversion.

yeah another guy was there looking at the set as well and he actually bought coraline 3D and had one of the best buy boobs put it in.

dont get me wrong, there were moments when the depth was very good, but for the most part it just wasn't. the boob ramped the 3D depth to max and it just still wasnt impressive for the most part. the guy that bought the movie was of the same opinion. I hope its not just how passive 3D plays because I would rather have passive, its just cheaper to maintain.
Bill's Avatar Bill 07:54 PM 03-20-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by henbone11 View Post

my gf and I backed up to about 15 feet at one point, which is well further than I actually watch (about 12') and well further than the recommended viewing distance for a 55" TV. we watched at varying distances and at no point did the 3D impress. as I say though, the 2D was very impressive. id love to see the larger size released.

Well the demo I saw had popout to where you could reach out and touch it, so the set is capable.
henbone11's Avatar henbone11 01:35 AM 03-21-2011
in my previous post I said that there are moments of good depth. its just not consistant. and again, I want to like passive, so its not like im knocking LG or the technology. just giving an impression of what 3 of us saw.
eneyman's Avatar eneyman 09:52 AM 03-21-2011
so mixed reviews so far. Some members post it has disappointing 3D, another member says video game lag is high (which is surprising because LG is supposed to have some of the best response time), while professional calibrator Chad B. says it's a solid set with some of the best 3D he's seen...

I seriously hope one of the idiot big box stores can properly set this tv up so I can check it out already.. Maybe the 6500 series is worth the extra $ and waiting.
hdmindset's Avatar hdmindset 10:39 AM 03-21-2011
I went to look at this at Best Buy and again, they did not have a 3D blu ray player hooked up, they actually did the 2d -> 3d conversion. I will say that the 3d effects working at multiple angles was very nice. I compared this to the top of the line Samsung 8000 that was playing Avatar in 3D. While the Samsung did seem to have more effects, the glasses weren't nearly as comfortable and I noticed a bit of flicker.

I then went to Fry's to see if they had it hooked up properly, but unfortunately, they did not. I did get to play a bit with the "Smart TV", which in itself is very nice. Fry's was playing a regular BluRay, but the 2D picture was pretty amazing... I have an old Samsung LN5265F, and the picture seemed almost night and day when comparing this LG to my old Samsung.

I guess I will find out in the next week or so whether or not the 3D effects are worth it. I've been sitting on the fence for a bit waiting for some more real world input, but decided to pull the trigger after buydig had it with a 3d Bluray player and HDMI cable bundle for $1869. It was several hundred less than the Best Buy or Fry's nearby. My biggest concerns are now the possible input lag for gaming... if anyone can verify that it's not a problem, it will ease my concerns.

Look forward to hearing more opinions on this one.
Schmo's Avatar Schmo 01:19 PM 03-21-2011
THat is a wonderful deal for the TV, a 3D Bluray player and HDMI cable. Buydig shows that bundle as 2159 now.
hdmindset's Avatar hdmindset 01:57 PM 03-21-2011
Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you add the bundle to the cart, it should add the discount, otherwise, the code is: 55LW5600 KIT. It should take another $290 off the cost.

Now, just hoping they ship it off, so I can add my own 2 cents to this thread. I'm really looking forward to anyone else's opinions.

The Smart TV Media Link appears to be powered by Plex (XBMC-based) and I saw a demo of it seamlessly streaming various high def files. If the web browser is decent, it will fill my need to want a GoogleTV device for now.
Shawnwhann's Avatar Shawnwhann 04:41 PM 03-21-2011
After playing around with more settings to turn off "TruMotion" and the auto dimming features, the lag seems to be reduced. I'm coming from a Panasonic Plasma where there was zero lag, so it was really jarring initially with all that post-processing crap.

The litmus test I've recently used was Call of Duty Black Ops and the remake of Sonic the Hedgehog. Black Ops has a hair of delay, but it's easy enough to compensate. But playing Sonic still doesn't feel completely right as it's a platformer that requires twitch adjustments.

I've got time on my Best Buy purchase, I hope a firmware update comes down the pipe to completely remove any noticeable delay. The screen quality and 3D effects are impressive enough to give LG a chance to update the set.
eneyman's Avatar eneyman 04:55 PM 03-21-2011
Hey Shawn, so are you saying you played in a regular non game mode but turned off local dimming and automotion processing? did this give you better results than game mode?
fox1541's Avatar fox1541 05:38 PM 03-21-2011
After using the set for a few more days and applying some of the recommendations from Chad's post, I'm pretty pleased with it.

I do notice a lot of ghosting in 3D in the darker scenes.. is there a setting to tone it down?

I previously used Netflix on the Wii and Netflix from this set looks so much nicer.

vTuner (Internet Radio) is nice but there are 2 things which I don't care for. There is no song information displayed and the screen saver doesn't kick in after a while so the screen stays on a static screen for the duration which will probably limit the amount of time it gets used to prevent screen burn-in. (are these screens susceptible to it?)
Tags: Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop