post #151 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post

I think i'm gonna pull the trigger on this one. Ive been looking forever too and this set has everything i want with a decent price. The passive 3d was impressive aswell, love that everyone can use the regular glasses and be part of the fun. Viewing angles for the 3d content were excellent and not having to use the expensive, heavy and inconvenient shutter glasses is a huge plus. 2d-3d conversion, this one fits the bill minus about 5 inches.

+ 1, good choice.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post

I'm seriously considering purchasing the 55LW5600 based on all I've read in this forum (THANKS FOR THE REVIEW Chad!!).
Two questions that I didn't see addressed:
1) does this TV have a picture-in-picture or side-by-side capability to view two inputs at once? Sometimes nice to have during same-time sporting events. I didn't see it in the manual (or at least the language I searched for)
2) I'm a gamer- and play World of Warcraft frequently and for long periods of time. There are some static areas of the game gui like the hotkeys that continuously display in the same area. Am I going to need to worry about screen burn and, if so, is there anything I must do to minimize the risk short of exiting/changing the game gui frequently? This being an LCD and not plasma probably means it's less likely -but I wanted a real consumer opinion.

I'm taking delivery on this display this coming weekend, so I can't specifically answer your question. PiP is a function of whatever is receiving the signal. Most people use some type of set top box from their content provider and send it to the display using HDMI or component video. The box determines whether or not you have that capability.

On the other hand, in the early days of HDTV, LG was known for its superior built-in tuners, and marketed a separate tuner as well. If I had a hilltop location as opposed to where I currently am, I would use the antenna input as you can receive subchannels from the local stations that you'll never get from a local cable company or a dish. This is the 3rd LG I have owned. The first one I bought in 2005 ( a 30" tube) had PiP capability.
post #153 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

1) does this TV have a picture-in-picture or side-by-side capability to view two inputs at once? Sometimes nice to have during same-time sporting events. I didn't see it in the manual (or at least the language I searched for)

It doesn't look it has it.. I programmed my remote to use the PIP commands from other LG sets and it didn't do anything.
post #154 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Liked: 10
I recently purchased a 55LW5600 but have not been able to tweak the settings to my liking. I did not find a posting in this thread with any 'recommended' settings.

If someone has configured their settings and is very happy with the quality of the picture......can you post your settings??

(thank you in advance)

ExpensiveWino
post #155 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks for your input and what has already been discussed in this thread...

Have been looking to upgrade from my current set to a solid 2D set with a matte screen and ran into this the 55LW5600 series yesterday at the local brick and mortar store here in Maryland...gotta say the set was impressive from the short time I was able to play with it.

Have not been too impressed with 3D so far due to the heavy glasses I have worn in demos. The set looked real good in 2D mode in the store and I was amazed with the passive 3D in terms of effect and the lack of heavy (and expensive glasses). Now to the real question.....from Chad's review it sounded like this tv would be great for the higher light our family room receives during the day but might suffer when I have low light for movie viewing. Is this just something that I will have to deal with when going for a matte screen (I hate reflections in the background from windows or other light sources) mated with an LCD (LED or otherwise)? The Panny VT or GT series that I have been looking at seem to have a similar matte screen but being plasma, one sales rep warned me that in mid-higher lighted rooms it would look more washed out than the LCD/LED formats. He of coarse reminded me that the dark room performance (that they are known for) would be second to none and lag in gaming is non existant......is this true about the higher light situations with plasmas? I am actually looking to replace my tried and true Sony 36BR400 series tube after over a decade of great performance. Being a tube, it's black levels have been very good and even with the old technology and 1080I/720p processing, it looks better than almost anything else I see on the market today (of course it is much smaller than what I am looking at). Uses will be mostly 2D tv, movies and sports in fairly bright daylight room (50% of the time), some gaming by my kids (FPS and some driving games) (15% of the time) and finally some low lighted HD movie and television viewing at night (35%...light over and behind tv source). Is this set the answer or should I go to the panny or maybe even the new Sony? (Other food for thought is that I have an XBR series 70 RPTv and VPL-HS51A projector...I used to love Sony but until recently it looked like Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Vizio had all put some serious competition out that Sony had not really been able to answer-IMHO)
post #156 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatnut View Post

Have been looking to upgrade from my current set to a solid 2D set with a matte screen and ran into this the 55LW5600 series yesterday at the local brick and mortar store here in Maryland...gotta say the set was impressive from the short time I was able to play with it.

Have not been too impressed with 3D so far due to the heavy glasses I have worn in demos. The set looked real good in 2D mode in the store and I was amazed with the passive 3D in terms of effect and the lack of heavy (and expensive glasses). Now to the real question.....from Chad's review it sounded like this tv would be great for the higher light our family room receives during the day but might suffer when I have low light for movie viewing. Is this just something that I will have to deal with when going for a matte screen (I hate reflections in the background from windows or other light sources) mated with an LCD (LED or otherwise)? The Panny VT or GT series that I have been looking at seem to have a similar matte screen but being plasma, one sales rep warned me that in mid-higher lighted rooms it would look more washed out than the LCD/LED formats. He of coarse reminded me that the dark room performance (that they are known for) would be second to none and lag in gaming is non existant......is this true about the higher light situations with plasmas? I am actually looking to replace my tried and true Sony 36BR400 series tube after over a decade of great performance. Being a tube, it's black levels have been very good and even with the old technology and 1080I/720p processing, it looks better than almost anything else I see on the market today (of course it is much smaller than what I am looking at). Uses will be mostly 2D tv, movies and sports in fairly bright daylight room (50% of the time), some gaming by my kids (FPS and some driving games) (15% of the time) and finally some low lighted HD movie and television viewing at night (35%...light over and behind tv source). Is this set the answer or should I go to the panny or maybe even the new Sony? (Other food for thought is that I have an XBR series 70 RPTv and VPL-HS51A projector...I used to love Sony but until recently it looked like Samsung, Panasonic, LG and Vizio had all put some serious competition out that Sony had not really been able to answer-IMHO)

I am not an expert but you pretty much nailed it.Plasma will not do well in a room with a lot of light.It is a misconception about gloss screens having a lot of glare they all have glare to some extent but these glossy screens actually eat up the light.I have 5 windows in my tv room 1 being a door and its not bad at all because these led tvs are so bright it makes the picture much better even with some glare.I am looking at the same LG model myself its going to be that one or a newer Samsung to replace my defective UN55C6500.The new Sonys look good too but have not seen them in person.
post #157 of 8252 Old 03-29-2011, 07:21 PM

I purchased this tv yesterday. I had the Samsung UN55C7000 but the active shutter glasses would give me a terrible headache and I couldn't use them but I never had any problems in theaters so I wanted to try a Passive tv. It took a while but the ISF programming is a pretty good tool and it worked pretty good without using the DVE disc I normally rely on.

The 3D works great. Much better than the Samsung and I noticed no crosstalk issues (I don't think crosstalk exists on the passive glasses) or heavy ghosting. (The opening scene of with the paddle ball MvA used to have a ton of ghosting on the old set.)

PQ was awful before changing settings. Now that the settings are fixed the PQ looks very good. I have to play around with a few more things but so far we are very happy with it.

I am not too fond of the apps or the wand remote. It is extremely unresponsive and does not follow where I am telling it to go. THat said it was much easier than other TVs I've had to get it connected to my wireless network.
post #158 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatnut View Post

One other item that I wanted to get input on was whether anyone out there thinks the 240hz model (6500) will have additional features that will help eliminate the game "lag" owners here have mentioned. What benefits would one expect if they shelled out the extra bucks for the 6500 vs the 5600 (120hz) that this thread has focused on. I really want to pull the trigger on a set and hope between my earlier post and this one, I can get enough clarification to make the move either to one of these 2 sets or know that I should keep looking at the competition.
post #159 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post

It is a misconception about gloss screens having a lot of glare they all have glare to some extent but these glossy screens actually eat up the light.I have 5 windows in my tv room 1 being a door and its not bad at all because these led tvs are so bright it makes the picture much better even with some glare.

This is the first time I've ever heard this... so why look at an LG with a matte screen for the bright environment in your home. The Samsungs have gotten a lot of pub, but I've completely discarded thoughts of getting one because I don't want glare issues due to the glossy screen.
post #160 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM

Hey guys, I've been following this post since it started and I'm ready to chime in now. I have almost bought this twice now and the thing turning me off isn't the gaming lag that seems to be an issue. Has anyone else noticed the edges of the picture distorting on 3D content? It is very noticeable when the on the 3D content at my local BB. It doesn't seem to matter on viewing angle. The part it is most visible is on the coral reef scene. The edges seem very blurry. Someone here has to have noticed the same thing?

Also, with the ISF modes, does anyone plan on getting their set calibrated? I have a friend who is ISF certified and he basically told me not to bother with it, but I tend to think he just didn't want to come do mine for free. Do any of you have an opinion on having a set with built in ISF modes professionally calibrated?

Thanks
post #161 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
This is the first time I've ever heard this... so why look at an LG with a matte screen for the bright environment in your home. The Samsungs have gotten a lot of pub, but I've completely discarded thoughts of getting one because I don't want glare issues due to the glossy screen.
I am looking at the LG models because I can't decide which piece of junk I want.Thats what you get when you buy TVs in this price range.You have to step up to get the good stuff and even then its a gamble.I have had a UN55C6500 / SK03 and (2) UN55C6500 / CN02 panel tvs hanging on my living room wall for months.The glare is not that bad,if you look at the review Chad did he will mention bad glare on the 55LW5600 too.Believe it or not these glossy screens are made to counter glare not make it worse.The rainbow effect of the S panel I had was 10 times worse than the C panel but the off angle of the C is piss poor.I would rather see the rainbows some of the time than the bad viewing angle all of the time.I have been to BB and Sears several times looking at all of these TVs and like several people mention here a lot of them there have the usual defects.I just can't believe its this hard to get a good TV.I know their not perfect but I am a movie person and mainly watch most of my content at night in the dark so the defects stick out like a sore thumb.Unfortunately all of the big 3 Samsung,Sony and LG have these problems in a lot of their TVs and imo these are the best manufactures to choose from.Since my old TV died I have to get something or watch nothing.

Still despite what I have said regarding poor quality at the end of the day when I have to get some kind of TV it will still probably be Samsung.Every time I leave a store and I MEAN every time the Samsung TVs still look the best in my eyes.
post #162 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

hey guys,

what do you think of this deal?

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...0712&t=2796975

Is worth getting this tv or just going for the samsung UN55C6800 instead.

I definitely want local dimming.
If i compare the two sets, for a cheaper price, i get:

-passive 3d
-3d blu ray player with apps
- 4 glasses

But what are the cons of the lg vs the samsung 6800 or any other comparable local dimming set?

I am not sure about the price.
post #163 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM

Good price for the bundle.

I too have noticed the blurring on the 3d in the corners. I am concerned with this as well. I'm holding out fir Noe, waiting to read more reviews
post #164 of 8252 Old 03-30-2011, 11:58 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpensiveWino View Post
I recently purchased a 55LW5600 but have not been able to tweak the settings to my liking. I did not find a posting in this thread with any 'recommended' settings.

If someone has configured their settings and is very happy with the quality of the picture......can you post your settings??

(thank you in advance)
I used a calibration disk the other night on my 5700 (mind you I live in Korea and the models are slightly different. My set is 240 hrz.)

Before I start: There is tons of bleed with edge LED and I will never buy one again. This model will suffice for this year, but never again. The blacks just aren't there.

However, to get the best blacks I reduced my backlight down to nothing or hover between 0-12. Much better, but not as bright.

Here goes: (going by memory, I'm at work. Shhh... don't tell)

Expert 1

Just scan

Backlight: 12
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 93
Color: 50
Vertical Sharpness: 57
Horizontal Sharpness: 57
tru motion: off
Local Dimming: High

Expert control:

Gamma: 2.2
Temperature: Warm

Everything else is set to off! (dynamic contrast, dynamic colour etc.)

Try and tell me what you think!

Cold ^^
post #165 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 AM

My LG55LW5600 is working perfectly for me except the Netflix app just locks up on the netflix splash screen. I saw on LG's support web site that somebody else has the same issue. I have to power cycle to get out of it. My LG software is current. Anybody else have this problem?
Part of the reason I bought this TV was hoping to get 5.1 surround out of netflix because that is one of the things that always frustrated me about netflix on my htpc -- lack of 5.1 audio. I have audio return channel (ARC) from the LG to my Onkyo working fine - other apps like amazon and youtube work.
post #166 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjktcvs View Post

I'm taking delivery on this display this coming weekend, so I can't specifically answer your question. PiP is a function of whatever is receiving the signal. Most people use some type of set top box from their content provider and send it to the display using HDMI or component video. The box determines whether or not you have that capability.

On the other hand, in the early days of HDTV, LG was known for its superior built-in tuners, and marketed a separate tuner as well. If I had a hilltop location as opposed to where I currently am, I would use the antenna input as you can receive subchannels from the local stations that you'll never get from a local cable company or a dish. This is the 3rd LG I have owned. The first one I bought in 2005 ( a 30" tube) had PiP capability.

Well... I bought it. I love this tv. World of Warcraft plays just fine on it - it's not a first person shooter game so small lag isn't a problem (and in fact, I don't even notice any lag)
I have multiple HDMI sources hooked up. I would have liked to do PIP type function to, for example, show my HTPC wintv output on one portion of the screen while showing cable tv on another portion. Maybe you don't call this PIP -- but whatever it is for displaying multiple sources at once, I'd like to do it. Looks like the TV doesn't have the function. I'm ok with that - just would have been a "nice to have" for multiple sport events at same time.
post #167 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 AM

Just hooked mine up last night. Good picture, good viewing angles. I was playing Socom 4 in 3D and it looked great. Now that I think about it the response seemed fine but I wasn't really paying attention at the time.

One thing I noticed when watching Tangled 3D and Hubble 3D were two lines across the bottom rows of the screen. One was green and one was purple. Can someone else look for this. I am not sure if this is normal for some reason or if it is a defect. I didn't see it on normal programming but it was obvious in 3D programming against a black background. You can see the lines without the glasses, and they were about one row apart at the very bottom. Thx.
post #168 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Gents, I never play console games and usually watch SD TV. I am concerned that this is not 240 Hz, but it's a great buy. IS there any lag when watching SD or HDTV? I mean, is it worth getting a 240 hZ vs this 120 Hz?
post #169 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

Gents, I never play console games and usually watch SD TV. I am concerned that this is not 240 Hz, but it's a great buy. IS there any lag when watching SD or HDTV? I mean, is it worth getting a 240 hZ vs this 120 Hz?

I've only had the set for 4 days now-- but I've been watching hockey and basketball in HD every day. Looks to have great response and what little "pixellation" i've seen i attribute to Comcast (they are more like 1080i or 720p source) - but have seen some over the air HD as well and it looks great. Also I use an HTPC with it with Bluray playback and have seen some fast action out of that at 1080p with no discernable lag.

Take this with a grain of salt though - my last set was an old Toshiba DLP that lagged like crazy so I see a night & day difference from that :-)
post #170 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Oh - one thing people should note if wanting to play sound back to your A/V receiver over HDMI (return channel). I didn't find it very easily - but the manual says you must be connected to HDMI 1 for return channel. Took me 2 days to find that little footnote and get it working.
post #171 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh - one thing people should note if wanting to play sound back to your A/V receiver over HDMI (return channel). I didn't find it very easily - but the manual says you must be connected to HDMI 1 for return channel. Took me 2 days to find that little footnote and get it working.

Thanks. I've got a 5 year old Vizio P50HDTV, only 720p. KIds usually watch TV, but I would like to move the Vizio to another room where the wife and I watch TV at night [so not to wake up the kids]. Was looking for a Sammy deal, but can't find on as good as the Buy.com deal on this bundle. I oughta flip a coin!
post #172 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

PS, I have Comcast too...and just lost the coin toss. I really need inspired to pull the trigger on this. I can certainly afford it.
post #173 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you, that will save me some time. I'm taking delivery on Sunday, and don't want to fire up the surround sound every time just to watch TV programming. Using component video and stereo out is no longer an acceptable substitute because DirecTV can output 1080p when required. I still wonder why set top boxes can't or won't send out digital audio simultaneously to both the HDMI and optical outputs.
post #174 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post

I am not an expert but you pretty much nailed it.Plasma will not do well in a room with a lot of light.It is a misconception about gloss screens having a lot of glare they all have glare to some extent but these glossy screens actually eat up the light.I have 5 windows in my tv room 1 being a door and its not bad at all because these led tvs are so bright it makes the picture much better even with some glare.I am looking at the same LG model myself its going to be that one or a newer Samsung to replace my defective UN55C6500.The new Sonys look good too but have not seen them in person.

I don't know, my Pioneer Kuro is plenty bright in mid-afternoon.
post #175 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

I found a few deals on the LG 55LX6500. Any one think it's better to get the 6500 instead of the 5600?
post #176 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

I found a few deals on the LG 55LX6500. Any one think it's better to get the 6500 instead of the 5600?

A big factor is whether or not you want to go with Active vs Passive 3D

I'm enjoying the passive 3D and doubt I would have actually purchased more than a couple (if any) active shutter glasses.

I've already had about 6 people watching a 3D movie at the same time.. that would have been over $600 in active shutter glasses alone.
post #177 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox1541 View Post

A big factor is whether or not you want to go with Active vs Passive 3D

I'm enjoying the passive 3D and doubt I would have actually purchased more than a couple (if any) active shutter glasses.

I've already had about 6 people watching a 3D movie at the same time.. that would have been over $600 in active shutter glasses alone.

Yeah, I just went to the LG web site to see that it is a discontinued model with active shutter glasses. Now I know why the deal at BB was so good. I don't know why the 120Hz is bothering me. If everyone posts that there's not a problem watching movies and sports, which is all we do, then it's for me. There's just too many choices.
post #178 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 03:42 PM

Could someone please answer my question about the green and purple line? Please load up a 3D bluray movie and once you get into it in 3D, look for a single green and single purple horizontal row of pixels toward the very bottom of the screen. I see it with Tangled 3D and Hubble 3D, nothing else to test with.

Thanks.
post #179 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 05:03 PM

Yea I received my TV today and I'm not happy with the gaming lag . I'm a big CoD player. Although in 3D mode there isn't any lag. But i Iike the crispness of the 2D while playin the game. Other than that I like the tv.
post #180 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 05:39 PM

Just curious if anyone reporting game lag has tried component versus hdmi?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page