Official LG 47LW5600/55LW5600 "Passive 3D" Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do owners think of the local dimming feature? I probably won't watch much 3d and am deciding whether this set potentially has better 2d picture than say the Samsung d6000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitR View Post

Could someone please answer my question about the green and purple line? Please load up a 3D bluray movie and once you get into it in 3D, look for a single green and single purple horizontal row of pixels toward the very bottom of the screen. I see it with Tangled 3D and Hubble 3D, nothing else to test with.

Thanks.

I have the lines as well. However, only in 3D Blu ray content. The lines are so dim that I can barely see them (that's from inches away from the set. There is no way I can see them from 8-10 feet where I sit). I also saw them on the demo model as well.

Enjoy!

Cold ^^
post #183 of 8252 Old 03-31-2011, 07:25 PM

Liked: 12
How do you test gaming lag? Without tons of equipment and all that jazz that I am just not going to do!
post #184 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post

My LG55LW5600 is working perfectly for me except the Netflix app just locks up on the netflix splash screen. I saw on LG's support web site that somebody else has the same issue. I have to power cycle to get out of it. My LG software is current. Anybody else have this problem?
Part of the reason I bought this TV was hoping to get 5.1 surround out of netflix because that is one of the things that always frustrated me about netflix on my htpc -- lack of 5.1 audio. I have audio return channel (ARC) from the LG to my Onkyo working fine - other apps like amazon and youtube work.

I think this got lost in the shuffle - again, anybody have Netflix working and or have a lockup like I do? I reset my TV to factory settings again last night and still have the issue.
post #185 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandionkhrome View Post

Yea I received my TV today and I'm not happy with the gaming lag . I'm a big CoD player. Although in 3D mode there isn't any lag. But i Iike the crispness of the 2D while playin the game. Other than that I like the tv.

did you set your Tv in game mode while plaing ?
post #186 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalawod View Post

I think this got lost in the shuffle - again, anybody have Netflix working and or have a lockup like I do? I reset my TV to factory settings again last night and still have the issue.

I watched Netflix last night and it worked fine for me.
post #187 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibs View Post

did you set your Tv in game mode while plaing ?

Yea I played in game mode. Actually I've played this morning with my settings and I really didn't notice much lag. I still prefer my 47LX6500. I think the 55 inch is a bit large for playing CoD.
post #188 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yea I played in game mode. Actually I've played this morning with my settings and I really didn't notice much lag. I still prefer my 47LX6500. I think the 55 inch is a bit large for playing CoD.

thanks for the confirmation. How far is your seating place from the TV? Might explain why you think 55" is too big.
post #189 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwam3 View Post

I found a few deals on the LG 55LX6500. Any one think it's better to get the 6500 instead of the 5600?

Got excited at first by the price in this link posted but once I looked it up I noticed that this tv is the active 3D model not the passive models (LW5600 and LW6500 series) that we have been talking about in this thread..........
post #190 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitR View Post

Just curious if anyone reporting game lag has tried component versus hdmi?

Yes, I tried both HDMI and Component, the lag was still there even with gaming mode on.
post #191 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatnut View Post

Got excited at first by the price in this link posted but once I looked it up I noticed that this tv is the active 3D model not the passive models (LW5600 and LW6500 series) that we have been talking about in this thread..........

Yes, explained one and two posts after..........
post #192 of 8252 Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Has anyone else noticed major motion problems on this set? I picked up the 55 on thursday and both my g.f. and I have been noticing quite a few glitches during motion scenes. The picture will just abruptly jump randomly, even on slight motion. This has so far all been from watching dish HD, so I plan on throwing in a blu-ray soon to see if the problem persists..

I think I may just have gotten a bad one, since everyone here seems very satisfied. I am coming from a plasma, so maybe my expectations for motion and motion resolution are too high for LCD? I have tried multiple settings for the motion processing, and they all seem to do it. I honestly purchased this TV with the intention of keeping the motion processing off at all times, I've never been a fan of the effect it has.

Can anyone here confirm or deny this happens on their set? I'm trying to decide if I have a bad set that I need to exchange, or if I simply need to stick to plasma for smooth motion.

Thanks
post #193 of 8252 Old 04-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Anyone have problems getting ARC (Audio Return Channel) to work? I've enabled it on my Onkyo TX-SR608 and it's connected to the TV's HDMI1 port via HDMI 1.4 certified cable. I've turned on ARC on both sides, and still get nothing back to the receiver. And yes, on the receiver I did as specified and set mode to TV/CD. Damn, not only is my Netflix hanging, but even if I got it working my ARC seems fubar'd too.

On the plus side, I emailed LG support and they're arranging to send a technician to my home. If they actually give that good of support service, I'll be very happy!
post #194 of 8252 Old 04-03-2011, 11:11 AM

This sucks. Love the picture from the TV, but I hate the lag from gaming. Any music rhythm games or twitch platformers are unplayable without factoring in lead time on your inputs.

This TV costs way too much to deal with crap like that, so it's going to go back. Sucks because I'm a huge fan of the passive 3D, I may just wait until more passives hit the market before I get the next TV.

Put simply, if you're a gamer, stay away from this TV. Going to grudgingly look into Sony or Samsung...
post #195 of 8252 Old 04-03-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnwhann View Post
I'm a huge fan of the passive 3D, I may just wait until more passives hit the market before I get the next TV.

Put simply, if you're a gamer, stay away from this TV. Going to grudgingly look into Sony or Samsung...
Yeah, but passive is not without its problems as Flatpanelshd review of the LW 6500 illustrates. Passive would be ideal with 4K displays.
post #196 of 8252 Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnwhann
This sucks. Love the picture from the TV, but I hate the lag from gaming. Any music rhythm games or twitch platformers are unplayable without factoring in lead time on your inputs.

This TV costs way too much to deal with crap like that, so it's going to go back. Sucks because I'm a huge fan of the passive 3D, I may just wait until more passives hit the market before I get the next TV.

I had problems with lag the very first day I hooked up the tv and played black ops. Now I don't notice much lag. Just a bit but not much. It depends on your settings I guess. I just played a bit ago and I didn't use game mode and I was still getting about 20 kills on black ops. When it was lagging I couldn't manage that. I would just tweak your settings before taking it back. Also watched Resident Evil Afterlife, looks amazing.
post #197 of 8252 Old 04-04-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post

I used a calibration disk the other night on my 5700 (mind you I live in Korea and the models are slightly different. My set is 240 hrz.)

Before I start: There is tons of bleed with edge LED and I will never buy one again. This model will suffice for this year, but never again. The blacks just aren't there.

However, to get the best blacks I reduced my backlight down to nothing or hover between 0-12. Much better, but not as bright.

Here goes: (going by memory, I'm at work. Shhh... don't tell)

Expert 1

Just scan

Backlight: 12
Brightness: 53
Contrast: 93
Color: 50
Vertical Sharpness: 57
Horizontal Sharpness: 57
tru motion: off
Local Dimming: High

Expert control:

Gamma: 2.2
Temperature: Warm

Everything else is set to off! (dynamic contrast, dynamic colour etc.)

Try and tell me what you think!

Cold ^^

My Tv is due on Thursday and wanted to have a good starting point for my configuration. Thanks Cold for putting this up, has anyone else used these setting or have other suggestions?
post #198 of 8252 Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_james View Post

Has anyone else noticed major motion problems on this set? I picked up the 55 on thursday and both my g.f. and I have been noticing quite a few glitches during motion scenes. The picture will just abruptly jump randomly, even on slight motion. This has so far all been from watching dish HD, so I plan on throwing in a blu-ray soon to see if the problem persists..

On the 55LX6500 I see "bounciness" on the component input from a sat receiver (not HD though, but crappy highly compressed SD).
post #199 of 8252 Old 04-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Liked: 11
Our local BB had the 55LW5600 on display, and running the LG-provided 3D demo. This provided a decent exposure to the passive 3D, but there was no way to look at other content.

That said, based on what I saw, I would say that the reviews seen so far are pretty much on-target. Good/fair/decent/comparable to other quality-brand mid-range edge-lit LED-LCDs in 2D, and the 3D performance is basically as advertised.

The lines are visible in 3D mode if you get within 4 or 5 feet (55 inch set), but (for me at least) being 6 feet away solved this issue (and I will have a normal viewing distance at home in the 8-10 foot range). The side angle performance was very good, I thought, and more than adequate. I had heard concerns about ghosting of the 3D if the vertical angle was a bit much, but in the store the vertical angle had to be pretty high before I saw any significant ghosting. The resolution issue (due to each eye only seeing 540 lines) in 3D also wasn't significant to me, at least as long as I was 6 feet away. Someone above has commented about some off-color lines being visible at the bottom of the screen in 3D mode. I saw this, too - it seems like perhaps the bottom 2 lines. But this was also a non-issue at more than 6 feet.

The 3D demo content included an underwater/tropical fish section, a short "3D gaming" section, and a 3D sports demo. The fish section was very good, I thought, at a variety of viewing positions and angles. I suppose all 3D is like this, but moving around a bit made the big fish follow you around, and the "back" of the view also moved, while maintaining the depth of the 3D effect. And tilting of the head had minimal effect, although obviously the 3D content is made with basically horizontal eyes in mind... The 3D game demo (basically a dragon flying around) was pretty good also, although not any sort of gaming response time test. I would say that the B-ball 3D demo was the weakest, although this may have been due to the choice of content, more than the set. It seemed like the depth of focus wasn't that good, independent of the 3D. (I've seen 3D football demos on other sets which seemed better - it would have been nice to see the same demo on this set...)

I'm not a gamer, so the response-time issues that others have experienced isn't a big deal for me. It may be that a good plasma set's 3D will be of somewhat higher quality. But based on what I saw, the advantages of being able to have enough glasses on hand for a room-full of people, with pretty good 3D at different viewing points, more than makes up for any issues. And the 3D looked VERY competitive to the active 3D sets I've seen (Samsung LED-LCD, Sony LED-LCD, and Panasonic plasma).
post #200 of 8252 Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschleicher View Post

Our local BB had the 55LW5600 on display, and running the LG-provided 3D demo. This provided a decent exposure to the passive 3D, but there was no way to look at other content.

That said, based on what I saw, I would say that the reviews seen so far are pretty much on-target. Good/fair/decent/comparable to other quality-brand mid-range edge-lit LED-LCDs in 2D, and the 3D performance is basically as advertised.

The lines are visible in 3D mode if you get within 4 or 5 feet (55 inch set), but (for me at least) being 6 feet away solved this issue (and I will have a normal viewing distance at home in the 8-10 foot range). The side angle performance was very good, I thought, and more than adequate. I had heard concerns about ghosting of the 3D if the vertical angle was a bit much, but in the store the vertical angle had to be pretty high before I saw any significant ghosting. The resolution issue (due to each eye only seeing 540 lines) in 3D also wasn't significant to me, at least as long as I was 6 feet away. Someone above has commented about some off-color lines being visible at the bottom of the screen in 3D mode. I saw this, too - it seems like perhaps the bottom 2 lines. But this was also a non-issue at more than 6 feet.

The 3D demo content included an underwater/tropical fish section, a short "3D gaming" section, and a 3D sports demo. The fish section was very good, I thought, at a variety of viewing positions and angles. I suppose all 3D is like this, but moving around a bit made the big fish follow you around, and the "back" of the view also moved, while maintaining the depth of the 3D effect. And tilting of the head had minimal effect, although obviously the 3D content is made with basically horizontal eyes in mind... The 3D game demo (basically a dragon flying around) was pretty good also, although not any sort of gaming response time test. I would say that the B-ball 3D demo was the weakest, although this may have been due to the choice of content, more than the set. It seemed like the depth of focus wasn't that good, independent of the 3D. (I've seen 3D football demos on other sets which seemed better - it would have been nice to see the same demo on this set...)

I'm not a gamer, so the response-time issues that others have experienced isn't a big deal for me. It may be that a good plasma set's 3D will be of somewhat higher quality. But based on what I saw, the advantages of being able to have enough glasses on hand for a room-full of people, with pretty good 3D at different viewing points, more than makes up for any issues. And the 3D looked VERY competitive to the active 3D sets I've seen (Samsung LED-LCD, Sony LED-LCD, and Panasonic plasma).

Nice review. Really interested in this set.
post #201 of 8252 Old 04-05-2011, 07:38 AM

Anyone have any idea when a bigger version of this tv, or another passive 3d tv will be put out? I really think that 55" is too small for my space, although for the price i found it i might still get it. I really need an upgrade asap.
post #202 of 8252 Old 04-05-2011, 12:54 PM

post #203 of 8252 Old 04-05-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_lobos View Post

Just bought this set... 55LW5600 $1250.00 on amazon.. too good a deal to pass up. Ill post a review as soon as i recive the unit

Yea I didn't know the price rules for this thread, but it's insane. The 47 in LV5500 is more expensive on amazon than this set. And I think he means the 47 in. 55 is more expensive.
post #204 of 8252 Old 04-05-2011, 01:51 PM

[quote=er3_unc;20261172]Yea I didn't know the price rules for this thread, but it's insane. The 47 in LV5500 is more expensive on amazon than this set. And I think he means the 47 in. 55 is more expensive.[/QUOt.

post #205 of 8252 Old 04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=go_lobos;20261194]
Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Yea I didn't know the price rules for this thread, but it's insane. The 47 in LV5500 is more expensive on amazon than this set. And I think he means the 47 in. 55 is more expensive.[/QUOt.

The 55 is more , or they increased the price. I bought a bundle with the Blu Ray DVD and cleaning kit at Buydig. Bought it on line Sunday night and they are delivering tomorrow, but we are both in NJ. This TV looked great at BestBuy on Sunday, including the 3D ocean demo.
post #206 of 8252 Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Could someone else put their settings up for this model? I'm scheduled to get mine next week and would like to have a good starting point. I'm thinking about getting the spears and munsil disc.
post #207 of 8252 Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Could someone else put their settings up for this model? I'm scheduled to get mine next week and would like to have a good starting point. I'm thinking about getting the spears and munsil disc.

I'll post mine later. Awesome picture and gaming lag is unnoticeable.
post #208 of 8252 Old 04-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:

Sounds good! Thanks.
post #209 of 8252 Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That would be great. Mine will be delivered within the next 4 hours. Thanks.
post #210 of 8252 Old 04-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Got it hooked up, but it keeps losing sound when changing HD channels. It has sound with non-HD channels as well as a DVD and VCR. I switched HDMI cables and have no change. One is a 1.3 and the other is a 1.4 cable that came with the deal from Buydig.com. I reset the TV and tried again, but still losing sound with HD channels. Any one got any ideas?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Infinia 47lw5600 47 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 120 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Lg Infinia 55lw5600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page