post #271 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 03:33 PM
TWD
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Soap Opera Effect/Blurring

I was messing with one in the store and saw heavy soap opera effect as well as blurring during motion. There a couple of options in the advanced options or picture option menu. If I remember correctly, one is called auto motion and the other one is picture smooth or something. When I turned them both off it fixed the blurring and the soap opera effect.

TWD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the "flashlight" or light leakage problem something that is always noticeable when you look for it with a new TV, or is it something that can develop over time?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting a 2010 Samsung LCD, and I'd like to know more of the pros and cons of going the LCD route.
post #273 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

Glad to see very familiar characters here.
Google is your best friends, too?

I can speak some Korean, but don't know the characters. Phonetically, ahn-young-ha-ze-o. But I don't know how say useful things like judder, motion blur, and wow, how cool is the D8000!

Jonathan
post #274 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:01 PM

Just wondering if the D8000 has all the 3D bugs worked out that plagued the UNXXC7000/8000. Also I hear that the 3D technology & glasses have changed.
post #275 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjustice View Post

Thats what I have been saying, people need to stop hating on the Edge lit stuff, stop focusing so much on what the specs say and trust their eyes. I think Samsung has a big winner on their hands here! I looked at the LG full backlit stuff at CES and it was nowhere near as impressive as these sets

To be a bit more objective, it's not alone edge lighting or full backlighting. It's the materials, techniques, and implementation of each. The D8000 seems to me to be as good or better than the backlit Viseo 554 and Sony 909. I thought the Viseo looked very good, but 2 diff big box store guys told me that they seem to shut off maybe due to power board issues. Even if were better than the D series, I don't want to chance that for the money. So there are other factors.

That said, the black levels and the optics of the D8000 are just fantastic. I wouldn't have guessed it was edge lot from watching the TV.

Jonathan
post #276 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Currently torn on 55D8000 vs LG 55LW7700
I'm heavily leaning Samsung after reading this thread!
post #277 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

This is when LEDs are off, right?

Now the question is if the light spill from edges can be seen when watching some real material in most difficult circumstances? E.g. dark movie scenes in dark room .

I've watched several dark and mixed contrast movies in a dark room and found no clouding.

Jonathan
post #278 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

If measuring black levels and lag is what makes you happy with a TV, than do that to, but within the return period.

It's like avid gamers that spend more time benchmarking their rig than they do playing games. If you are really looking for something, you can usually find it. If you have to load software on your PC and play with multiple colored slides to produce an effect, I really question that if the effect can't be reproduced by actually watching TV. I guess I'm just past that. However, I do respect those that do it (just like benchmarking gaming rigs) and find it an interesting read.

Overall, I think this series will be a winner. I'm building a new house and want a 60" for the great room and a 40" for the master bedroom. The D8000's are at the top of my list. Looks like I'll be buying the 40" now and using it in the great room until the 60's are available. I really hope they are here before July
post #279 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kies View Post

Thanks for the awesome reviews Jonathan. Just one question for us Canadian buyers: where was the TV made?

Being from Montreal, I just called a buddy of mine who works at Best Buy in upstate New York as I buy most of my stuff there. They just got the 55" D8000 in on Monday and asked him to go check the side of the box for where it's made. Answer is.......Mexico!

I also asked him to find out what was inside the only 2 boxes they got in with respects to the QWERTY and glasses, I want to know if I'll be getting 2 remotes or just 1, I have to call him back in an hour to find out.

They also just got in the 3D Promo pack today so that's cool, no need to have it mailed.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Where you at? Where would you buy your tv from? I checked the size of my "trunk" on my Ford Edge, it doesn't fit per the specs on Samsung's site, I would need to unbox and put on back seat...hate doing that but may have no choice, I'll bring lots of padding! Not ready to buy yet but knowing me, it will be in my house faster than I think....now only if the weather will stop storming here so I can drive South!

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #280 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post

Being from Montreal, I just called a buddy of mine who works at Best Buy in upstate New York as I buy most of my stuff there. They just got the 55" D8000 in on Monday and asked him to go check the side of the box for where it's made. Answer is.......Mexico!

I also asked him to find out what was inside the only 2 boxes they got in with respects to the QWERTY and glasses, I want to know if I'll be getting 2 remotes or just 1, I have to call him back in an hour to find out.

They also just got in the 3D Promo pack today so that's cool, no need to have it mailed.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Where you at? Where would you buy your tv from? I checked the size of my "trunk" on my Ford Edge, it doesn't fit per the specs on Samsung's site, I would need to unbox and put on back seat...hate doing that but may have no choice, I'll bring lots of padding! Not ready to buy yet but knowing me, it will be in my house faster than I think....now only if the weather will storming here so I can drive South!

Thanks for checking this out; no duties! Unfortunately, I'm in Toronto. Was thinking of having it shipped to a drop location in Buffalo and picking it up there.

With regards to the remotes and mail in rebate stuff, I have a feeling it'd be easier for Canadians to make sure all the stuff comes in the box. I imagine the mail stuff can only be shipped to a US address, so you'd have to go twice. Just something to watch out for.
post #281 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post

My previous Samsung (4671F) also had issues with AMP and I turned it off.

Now there is an older unit. Yours did not stink like plastic did it?
post #282 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hope this helps!

P.S. Where you at? Where would you buy your tv from? I checked the size of my "trunk" on my Ford Edge, it doesn't fit per the specs on Samsung's site, I would need to unbox and put on back seat...hate doing that but may have no choice, I'll bring lots of padding! Not ready to buy yet but knowing me, it will be in my house faster than I think....now only if the weather will stop storming here so I can drive South!

I'd find a friend with a car. I don't think the warranty or your car or homeowner's insurance will cover a crack screen other issues, and the width of the screen compared to its surface area makes it more vulnerable to torque if you're unlucky. I'd you decide to drive it home, I'd suggest laying it screen up with blankets. Good luck!

Jonathan
post #283 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here are a few pictures i took. They don't do any justice to the tv picture quality

post #284 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

More pictures

post #285 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Try to take the flash off and turn the light in the room off to remove that glare. I will say that from those pics the set looks like sex.
post #286 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00kies View Post

Thanks for checking this out; no duties! Unfortunately, I'm in Toronto. Was thinking of having it shipped to a drop location in Buffalo and picking it up there.

With regards to the remotes and mail in rebate stuff, I have a feeling it'd be easier for Canadians to make sure all the stuff comes in the box. I imagine the mail stuff can only be shipped to a US address, so you'd have to go twice. Just something to watch out for.

My pleasure!

As for the mail in's, I have a place in the USD I can ship to, I use it for all my other stuff and it's 30 minutes from my house

Initially I wanted to have all in the box right away, I still do actually, but damn I want that second remote so not sure what the best thing to do is...wish this wasn't even a choice I "had" to make, but for me, both options are equally important for their own reasons.

I just called back my friend and the QWERTY and glasses are NOT in the box.
Ok, so, that's that..now to think of what I should do....

For those of you that got a the vouchers for the glasses and remote, could you do a fellow Canadian a BIG favour and either scan and post it or read it carefully and let us know if it is strictly for USA customers and void in Canada or something like that? I just need to know the "terms" of this thing and how it would affect us.

I think someone mentioned it taking 8 - 10 weeks for delivery, and that's fine, however, my holding place in the USD will not call me if something arrives for me and I'm guessing they won't advise you when your stuff ships will they e.g. tracking etc....who's to say we "actually" got it then?

I'm hoping for a way to keep track of this should I go the voucher route. Any help on these vouchers would be super appreciated!!

Oh ya..NO DUTIES...WOOOO HOOOO!!!

post #287 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicoRich196 View Post

Try to take the flash off and turn the light in the room off to remove that glare. I will say that from those pics the set looks like sex.

Ill try to play with it more this weekend. It's my aunts camera so i haven't figured out how to work it and get great shots.
post #288 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:

I'd find a friend with a car. I don't think the warranty or your car or homeowner's insurance will cover a crack screen other issues, and the width of the screen compared to its surface area makes it more vulnerable to torque if you're unlucky. I'd you decide to drive it home, I'd suggest laying it screen up with blankets. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, i'm going to take this into consideration for sure

I don't know anyone with a car or van that could help me on this one, i was also worried about the thinness of the glass

That's the next piece of the puzzle i guess, well that and my above post lol.

The box is smaller than i initially thought so that's a plus, just wont fit in my truck and highly doubt it will fit in any car...it's way to wide in that box. Need something that doesn't have a truck that opens upwards, i think i need more of a door style truck on a 4x4 to get this in?

May need to rent a mini van or something like that for a 1/2 day.

post #289 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Maybe you should throw out your camera!

Heh, first of all, I was going to buy a new camera since it's more than 3 years old.

I was very picky at choosing TV when I was young and have returned Samsung/LG/Sony TVs many times until I got perfect screen.
Now I'm getting older and found that there's no big difference in the quality if I see the replacement has similar issue especially in the flagship model. I believe it's the best that they can do with the current technology. If others post with better uniformity shots, then let me think it again.

Overall, D8000 is really good in every aspects except the gray thing. I'm satisfied with the PQ and its additional features as well.

I'll upload some more pics playing bluray and BD 3D later.
post #290 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My pleasure!

As for the mail in's, I have a place in the USD I can ship to, I use it for all my other stuff and it's 30 minutes from my house

Initially I wanted to have all in the box right away, I still do actually, but damn I want that second remote so not sure what the best thing to do is...wish this wasn't even a choice I "had" to make, but for me, both options are equally important for their own reasons.

I just called back my friend and the QWERTY and glasses are NOT in the box.
Ok, so, that's that..now to think of what I should do....

For those of you that got a the vouchers for the glasses and remote, could you do a fellow Canadian a BIG favour and either scan and post it or read it carefully and let us know if it is strictly for USA customers and void in Canada or something like that? I just need to know the "terms" of this thing and how it would affect us.

I think someone mentioned it taking 8 - 10 weeks for delivery, and that's fine, however, my holding place in the USD will not call me if something arrives for me and I'm guessing they won't advise you when your stuff ships will they e.g. tracking etc....who's to say we "actually" got it then?

I'm hoping for a way to keep track of this should I go the voucher route. Any help on these vouchers would be super appreciated!!

Oh ya..NO DUTIES...WOOOO HOOOO!!!

Yes on the vouchers it says "Offer good only in the USA" The fulfillment center Looks like its in New Jersey(next state over from me)
I got an email with a link to check the status but it still say validating.
post #291 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Yes on the vouchers it says "Offer good only in the USA" The fulfillment center Looks like its in New Jersey(next state over from me)
I got an email with a link to check the status but it still say validating.

Thank you very much for the info!!!

I'm guessing you're also around the NY area and that's where I'd be shipping this to so i'd probably be in the same fulfillment center as well.

Ok, let me ask you this then as your answer has intrigued me....since you have gotten this info so fast and via email, does the voucher allow you to actually go on line and submit your request electronically with some sort of "PIN" number or voucher code and then you can track it's status by going onto a particular website as you please? If so, that would be cool!! I didn't want to have to mail this thing back into them just in case anything happened to it. It seems like you will know when it actually ships and i bet you may even get some sort of tracking number, even if it's USPS only.

When i bought my last TV in the USA, the Samsung.COM website didn't allow me to sign up as i had a Canadian address so do you know if you had to actually make a profile on the US version of the Samsung site in order to claim your voucher (if it was done electronically which i am guessing) and if you can alter or change where you want this kit to be shipped to? I was never able to register my last TV and it told me to register on the Canadian site which i never did - however that was pre USA address i now have.

This is one thing i still need to figure out unfortunetly. I know it sounds like a lot to do for a TV, but for those of you who don't know, this TV will prob be close to 2K more expensive in Canada for the first 6 months of it's release.

Thanks again for the info, I'm sure a lot of people will be curious to know how this works!!

post #292 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Heh, first of all, I was going to buy a new camera since it's more than 3 years old.

I was very picky at choosing TV when I was young and have returned Samsung/LG/Sony TVs many times until I got perfect screen.
Now I'm getting older and found that there's no big difference in the quality if I see the replacement has similar issue especially in the flagship model. I believe it's the best that they can do with the current technology. If others post with better uniformity shots, then let me think it again.

Overall, D8000 is really good in every aspects except the gray thing. I'm satisfied with the PQ and its additional features as well.

Nikon D700 goes well with the D8000. A perfect LCD or perfect plasma is possible, but for a lot more money. For what we're all paying for the D8000, it seems pretty close. I think once you try to go another level up, you get a 10% improvement for 80% more money (figuratively). This is the way it goes with other electronics IMO such as home theater receivers and speakers.

My family is watching American Idol. It's looks as if I'm there live and have perfect vision. I can easily make out the screen door effect on THEIR screen. That's crazy.

Jonathan
post #293 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:

Nikon D700 goes well with the D8000. A perfect LCD or perfect plasma is possible, but for a lot more money. For what we're all paying for the D8000, it seems pretty close. I think once you try to go another level up, you get a 10% improvement for 80% more money (figuratively). This is the way it goes with other electronics IMO such as home theater receivers and speakers.

My family is watching American Idol. It's looks as if I'm there live and have perfect vision. I can easily make out the screen door effect on THEIR screen. That's crazy.

Can you turn the AMP up to standard or smooth and see if you see studdering? You won't have to look hard if it's an issue.
post #294 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you very much for the info!!!

I'm guessing you're also around the NY area and that's where I'd be shipping this to so i'd probably be in the same fulfillment center as well.

Ok, let me ask you this then as your answer has intrigued me....since you have gotten this info so fast and via email, does the voucher allow you to actually go on line and submit your request electronically with some sort of "PIN" number or voucher code and then you can track it's status by going onto a particular website as you please? If so, that would be cool!! I didn't want to have to mail this thing back into them just in case anything happened to it. It seems like you will know when it actually ships and i bet you may even get some sort of tracking number, even if it's USPS only.

When i bought my last TV in the USA, the Samsung.COM website didn't allow me to sign up as i had a Canadian address so do you know if you had to actually make a profile on the US version of the Samsung site in order to claim your voucher (if it was done electronically which i am guessing) and if you can alter or change where you want this kit to be shipped to? I was never able to register my last TV and it told me to register on the Canadian site which i never did - however that was pre USA address i now have.

This is one thing i still need to figure out unfortunetly. I know it sounds like a lot to do for a TV, but for those of you who don't know, this TV will prob be close to 2K more expensive in Canada for the first 6 months of it's release.

Thanks again for the info, I'm sure a lot of people will be curious to know how this works!!

Both vouchers have 2 options
1) Mail it to the address it has listed.
2) Go online and submit it.

Each voucher has a Verification code to enter.
post #295 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Both vouchers have 2 options
1) Mail it to the address it has listed.
2) Go online and submit it.

Each voucher has a Verification code to enter.

SWEET!!! Thanks!!

post #296 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post

Can you turn the AMP up to standard or smooth and see if you see studdering? You won't have to look hard if it's an issue.

On STD now...

Jonathan
post #297 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

On STD now...

I don't notice any...I had it off before and don't really see any difference.

Jonathan
post #298 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I am now officially smitten. Saw the D7000 at Sears tonight....

Have my THIRD UN65C8000 on the way. If its another dud, refund time and will wait for the 65D8000 to show its face. Which I hope is sooner than later.
post #299 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On STD now...

You might want to go see a doctor!

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #300 of 8440 Old 03-09-2011, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

You might want to go see a doctor!

I put my 65" DLP next to the D8000 and now it has an STD too!

Jonathan
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page