Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2011, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went and checked out a D8000 at local Frys today, just as impressive as when I saw it at CES. Can't wait for the 60" to come out so I can pick one up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 10:37 PM

Liked: 16
Here is a link from the first post to the spec sheet (hosted by ABT) for the Samsung UN55D7900 which indicates it does have "micro dimming plus". It also shows it comes with a qwerty remote which I didn't think it came with. Who knows, maybe it is wrong and the D7900 doesn't have the plus part of the micro dimming but since Chris @ Cleveland Plasma has said it has this feature I tend to believe him since he has the displays in stock and should know.

http://www.abt.com/documents/37353/UN55D7900_specs.pdf
Old 03-13-2011, 01:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hello,

I spent a couple hours throwing a few things at my D8000 and I am quite impressed with the picture on this TV. I don't claim to be an expert in image quality but what I see in the attached images looks pretty good to me. These are untouched images outside of being recropped a bit, TV was on movie mode and no other settings changed from factory.

The QWERTY remote after my initial difficulty pairing with the TV has worked without any issues. The buttons I find are a bit sensitive but I really like it.

I tried Netflix and Hulu apps and both worked great over Wifi. I am a huge gamer and I didn't notice any input lag on the PS3. I tried 3D versions of MLB The Show 2011 which was really awesome, Killzone 3D looked cool too but I have to admit I found the 3D in that title more disorienting than baseball - probably just have to get used to it. I found the 3D glasses to be light and comfortable in the free 3D kit. Note that the free kit glasses are not rechargeable they use small calculator batteries for power...

I really have to thank Jonathan who started this thread - his hands on review and pictures were huge in helping me pull the trigger here. Concerns:

* I noticed on the top left and bottom left of the TV a slightly brighter corner area than the other corners of the TV. A couple times between loads I noticed it but when the movie appears I don't seem to notice it even with letterbox titles. Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about? It's hard to isolate, I don't notice any brightness differences on gray screens either.
* Just bought a Yamaha A2000 receiver, will get it in a couple days. Hoping that doesn't add any problems in the mix - anyone have that receiver and using it with this TV. How is it working?

A few more pics are coming.

Craig
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-13-2011, 01:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Ok here are a few more shots, I thought I would try a shot through the 3D glasses with my camera and it actually worked, they are from Shrek 2 in the 3D Kit. I don't think the shots really show enough details on how great the 3D looks on this TV but it was a fun experiment Last shot is the Star Trek reboot film (2D of course).

Craig
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-13-2011, 01:21 AM

So can someone tell me if I am supposed to have a touchscreen remote or not? I do have a dual sided remote with qwerty on one side but that is it.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

My D8000 came with the dual sided qwerty remote. Previous posters on this thread reported the same or a voucher for the same remote. The touch screen remote I believe has beel pulled from the current D8000 models - not in the plans at the moment.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Difference between micro dimming and dimming plus? If its anything like there "wide color" and "wide color pro" crap then to me there isn't a difference at all.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton View Post

My D8000 came with the dual sided qwerty remote. Previous posters on this thread reported the same or a voucher for the same remote. The touch screen remote I believe has beel pulled from the current D8000 models - not in the plans at the moment.

Hi, can you please take some more pics of the qwerty-remote. We have just some small pics of the remote. I'd like to know how big it is.
thx
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

So has there been any peeps at all about an actual release date of the 65 inch???

Foggy answer only. Samsung never officially stated the 65" is coming so the 60" is flagship for now. Some people say 65" is on the lists of some sellers for July release. Wait and see is all what remains.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felsi View Post

Hi, can you please take some more pics of the qwerty-remote. We have just some small pics of the remote. I'd like to know how big it is.
thx

Just found this a comparison of the qwerty dual-sided remote, here.

Still would have enjoyed if Samsung incorporated the touch remote. Think it will be standard on the 9000 series as it it in the C9000.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 AM

Was wondering, does the Samsung WMN1000 wall mount fits the D8000, as am very much keen in buying this TV later on.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAeK1PJMtPQ

this video shows the touch screen remote and blue ray glasses with the D8000.Not sure what is up but samsung says itonly comes with qwerty remote .one side standard remote other side keyboard
Old 03-13-2011, 04:47 AM

here is a close up look
What is up with samsung

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o8ED...eature=related
Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith64 View Post

So can someone tell me if I am supposed to have a touchscreen remote or not? I do have a dual sided remote with qwerty on one side but that is it.

No, the bundle w/ the touch remote has been canceled. U only get the additional qwerty remote.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
* I noticed on the top left and bottom left of the TV a slightly brighter corner area than the other corners of the TV. A couple times between loads I noticed it but when the movie appears I don't seem to notice it even with letterbox titles. Not sure if this is something I should be concerned about? It's hard to isolate, I don't notice any brightness differences on gray screens either.

Craig[/quote]

I noticed that too. I fixed it by going into Picture Options/Advanced Settings/Black Tone. Set it to Darkest. That fixed it for me.

PSN ID Cyber125
Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the manual is available for download? The one that came with it is hardly a manual. Doesn't explain all the features in depth. I don't really want to use the e-manual either.

PSN ID Cyber125
Old 03-13-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrule123 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAeK1PJMtPQ

this video shows the touch screen remote and blue ray glasses with the D8000.Not sure what is up but samsung says itonly comes with qwerty remote .one side standard remote other side keyboard

Samsung dropped the touch remote at the last minute, they said it was to keep the cost down. I have the d8000 and got a voucher for the QWERTY remote and 3d glasses.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 AM

so is the touch remote available from samsung for an addtionally fee?

or maybe you can download the app for their smart phones?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:33 AM

At this point, u can get that remote sooner or later for an additional fee.

Beside that, u can already download an app for ur smartphone to control the TV, but its not possible to use it as a 2nd TV.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post

Dammit...
I just received my new Samsung C8000 today (delivered to my home) and after unboxing it, noticed some dents on the rear cover. The lower corner looked dented around the screw, and there was cut in the metal near the HDMI ports.

Anyways, I'll be returning it and will probably just get the newer D model (7000). Does anyone know if the D7000/8000 have the same metal back material, or is it plastic?

I'm assuming even though I'm downgrading from the 8000 series to a D7000 it should still be an upgrade from what I just received?

So sorry to hear that................was the damage caused by shipping do you think? How was it shipped? Was the box banged up too? I know some places ship rather cheaply, but other places, such as Abes of Maine, do a great job by putting the original box in a much larger box, surrounded by bubble wrap etc. In any rate, so sorry you had this happen...........but if you end up getting a great D series set........it will have worked out.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbyx View Post

So sorry to hear that................was the damage caused by shipping do you think? How was it shipped? Was the box banged up too? I know some places ship rather cheaply, but other places, such as Abes of Maine, do a great job by putting the original box in a much larger box, surrounded by bubble wrap etc. In any rate, so sorry you had this happen...........but if you end up getting a great D series set........it will have worked out.

The shipping was very good actually. It was double boxed like you mentioned and both boxes were fine - no damage. This appears to have been an issue from the factory I guess. Guess I was just unlucky on this particular TV.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:36 AM

so when can we get the touch remote?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Looking at Samsung's site, they list the QWERTY remote only. I guess the touchscreen remote was just a dream...

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/...YFXZA-features
Old 03-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop View Post

so when can we get the touch remote?

If you have an iphone or ipod you can download the samsung remote control app - saves you a load of money and it's exactly the same as the samsung remote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Hello All,

Yesterday I had the liberty of going to BB Magnolia to get to a chance the see this new D8000 TV. I currently own a 46C8000. I was blessed at this BB because they had a C8000 and a D8000 set up beside each other. They were on each side of the entrance to the Magnolia Studio Area. Hear is my take on the new D8000 and how I think it compares to my C8000. Granted, this is just my personal opinion..

First off, I know the feeds are different, and lighting plays an issue with reviewing tv's in a retail store, but I can see they were gettting pretty much the same feed and was making my opinion on that. Lighting was the same as well. Both tv's had no clouding or flashlighting and made sure I watched both tv's for over an half hour.

From what I saw was a beautiful tv made by Samsung this year. The very tiny bezel was amazing! It gives the picture a new dimension in watching tv. I could not stop watching the tv and how the seemlessly no bezel look made the tv amazing. The only draw back I saw with this was that if I was going to buy this television, it would have to be in the 55" or above as the 46" with the thin bezel makes the tv only about 44 inches wide. The 55" was close to 50" wide. So what I am saying here is that the D8000 makes a 46" tv look like a 42", and the 55" look like a 50". It totally blew my mind. Anyone feel free to correct me on the measurements. So this model here, I would definitely go big or go home. 60" is where this tv will shine in my opinion, but would not turn down the 55" either as it looks like a 50" and a good size, but the bigger than 55" in this D8000 design will be the way to go this year. I could not believe how small the 46" looked without a large bezel compared to my C8000, but I can see the screen size is the same, but the tv is way smaller.

Now my opinion on the micro-dimming plus, versus the precision-dimming. There is a noticeable improvement on how the D8000 handles blacks. It virtually eliminates any chance of clouding and flashlighting that plagued some C8000's. This is where the D8000 will move a little ahead of the C8000 in blackness. But the true test would be in a dark room with the Dark Knight playing, both tv's side by side. But I normally don't watch tv in a pitch black room, so this would be a non-issue for me, but for some it will. As I looked more at the blacks between each tv, both seem to do well in store lighting, from the looks of it, the D8000 will definitely beat the C8000 in this department but not by large margins. And this is just my opinion.

Now over to the viewing angle and PQ of the D8000. I must say that the viewing angle is much improved over the C8000. I was very happy to see that it does not have that dramatic change when you are off-center. This has to do with them mounting the LED's on the side of the tv instead of top to bottom like on the C8000. I still saw a rise in black levels, but not until I got over 50 degrees off-center which was awesome. So this means you and your lady can see the same picture from both sides of the couch! What else has improved was the basic settings of the D8000 versus the C8000. The D8000 settings look more natural out of the box as the C8000 looked a little on the pushed in colors. This is due to the new video processing, which helps that. So it seems to me you are getting a great picture right out of the box, but of course calibration is needed to make sure you are getting the best possible picture. As I watched both tv's, I could not see a major improvement over PQ in scenic pictures as both tv's seem to do well and looked really good in my opinion.

And now for my final opinion on the D8000. This tv will turn heads with the design and wow you at the moment you look and watch it. That thin bezel look is going to sell BIG!! Anyone who buys this tv is in for a treat! As for the C8000 owners, is it worth trading in and getting this tv....in my opinion no, unless you are looking for a thinner bezel and improved blacks. But if whatever size you want in the D8000 tv, I would go up to the next size as the thinner bezel makes the tv smaller, but screen size the same. You will see when you go look at a 46" D8000 and go WTF? I love my C8000, but there is not enough of a PQ change for me to warrant me to sell my C8000 for this D8000 model. Granted the tiny bezel design is great and black levels and viewing angles are improved, but not enough to want me to shell out more money for as I would have to get the 55" or higher in this design as the 46" would look too small. As I stood over a half hour with both tv's side by side in BB, after the wow factor was over and the analyzing begun, I was still happy with my C8000! But if you are in the market for a LED tv, this is by far the one to get!!

I could tell that the Qwerty remote was an issue as the BB employee had a hard time syncing it and getting it to work most of the time. Also, 3D was not tested as I did not compare that, but I am assuming it will be better on the D8000 as the thin bezel and better processing will give a better 3D experience. This is all my opinion and like buttholes, everyone has one!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Hello All,

Yesterday I had the liberty of going to BB Magnolia to get to a chance the see this new D8000 TV. I currently own a 46C8000. I was blessed at this BB because they had a C8000 and a D8000 set up beside each other. They were on each side of the entrance to the Magnolia Studio Area. Hear is my take on the new D8000 and how I think it compares to my C8000. Granted, this is just my personal opinion..

First off, I know the feeds are different, and lighting plays an issue with reviewing tv's in a retail store, but I can see they were gettting pretty much the same feed and was making my opinion on that. Lighting was the same as well. Both tv's had no clouding or flashlighting and made sure I watched both tv's for over an half hour.

From what I saw was a beautiful tv made by Samsung this year. The very tiny bezel was amazing! It gives the picture a new dimension in watching tv. I could not stop watching the tv and how the seemlessly no bezel look made the tv amazing. The only draw back I saw with this was that if I was going to buy this television, it would have to be in the 55" or above as the 46" with the thin bezel makes the tv only about 44 inches wide. The 55" was close to 50" wide. So what I am saying here is that the D8000 makes a 46" tv look like a 42", and the 55" look like a 50". It totally blew my mind. Anyone feel free to correct me on the measurements. So this model here, I would definitely go big or go home. 60" is where this tv will shine in my opinion, but would not turn down the 55" either as it looks like a 50" and a good size, but the bigger than 55" in this D8000 design will be the way to go this year. I could not believe how small the 46" looked without a large bezel compared to my C8000, but I can see the screen size is the same, but the tv is way smaller.

Now my opinion on the micro-dimming plus, versus the precision-dimming. There is a noticeable improvement on how the D8000 handles blacks. It virtually eliminates any chance of clouding and flashlighting that plagued some C8000's. This is where the D8000 will move a little ahead of the C8000 in blackness. But the true test would be in a dark room with the Dark Knight playing, both tv's side by side. But I normally don't watch tv in a pitch black room, so this would be a non-issue for me, but for some it will. As I looked more at the blacks between each tv, both seem to do well in store lighting, from the looks of it, the D8000 will definitely beat the C8000 in this department but not by large margins. And this is just my opinion.

Now over to the viewing angle and PQ of the D8000. I must say that the viewing angle is much improved over the C8000. I was very happy to see that it does not have that dramatic change when you are off-center. This has to do with them mounting the LED's on the side of the tv instead of top to bottom like on the C8000. I still saw a rise in black levels, but not until I got over 50 degrees off-center which was awesome. So this means you and your lady can see the same picture from both sides of the couch! What else has improved was the basic settings of the D8000 versus the C8000. The D8000 settings look more natural out of the box as the C8000 looked a little on the pushed in colors. This is due to the new video processing, which helps that. So it seems to me you are getting a great picture right out of the box, but of course calibration is needed to make sure you are getting the best possible picture. As I watched both tv's, I could not see a major improvement over PQ in scenic pictures as both tv's seem to do well and looked really good in my opinion.

And now for my final opinion on the D8000. This tv will turn heads with the design and wow you at the moment you look and watch it. That thin bezel look is going to sell BIG!! Anyone who buys this tv is in for a treat! As for the C8000 owners, is it worth trading in and getting this tv....in my opinion no, unless you are looking for a thinner bezel and improved blacks. But if whatever size you want in the D8000 tv, I would go up to the next size as the thinner bezel makes the tv smaller, but screen size the same. You will see when you go look at a 46" D8000 and go WTF? I love my C8000, but there is not enough of a PQ change for me to warrant me to sell my C8000 for this D8000 model. Granted the tiny bezel design is great and black levels and viewing angles are improved, but not enough to want me to shell out more money for as I would have to get the 55" or higher in this design as the 46" would look too small. As I stood over a half hour with both tv's side by side in BB, after the wow factor was over and the analyzing begun, I was still happy with my C8000! But if you are in the market for a LED tv, this is by far the one to get!!

A lot of blah-blah, but you don't even mention that 3D is much improved also
Old 03-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepepaco View Post

A lot of bla-bla, but you don't even mention that 3D is much improved also

read my post again.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:

If you have an iphone or ipod you can download the samsung remote control app - saves you a load of money and it's exactly the same as the samsung remote

I have the moto atrix 4G but i cannot find that app.
Is it in the market for android?
Old 03-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:

A lot of blah-blah, but you don't even mention that 3D is much improved also

For someone that is new to the forums, not a way to set a good reputation. And from reading your previous posts, I could care less of your comments. All I am doing is giving MY opinion. Everyone here can do as they please and make their on decision we are grown adults. I am waiting for the review from the masters of this forum to tell what has really improved like Chad B and D-Nice. I am just simply giving my opinion on what I saw. So you can read it or not.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

I've got the 46" on order. I hope it doesn't look that small! I'd like to step up to the 55" but that's not an option for me right now. Thanks for the info though.

Measurements are:

46": 41.0" wide
55": 48.5" wide

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread