Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Would prefer a plastic see-thru bezel rather than a thin silver, but it does seem to disappear 'coz it's so thin. Am so jealous!

Let us know whether the snazzy remote has macro capability, icons edit, and learning capability?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

The bezel (or lack thereof) looks awesome. I just am not a fan of the stand.

I agree, there may be a new king of LED, cannot wait for CNET to review this one, the blacks look very promising.
post #33 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I will have better pics of the bezel, width and remote in a bit. Starting to adjust the settings. Will post default settings also.

Jonathan
post #34 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Greetings from Germany! I also congratulate you on your purchase and I'm very excited to see what informations and images you'll present here next.
post #35 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddster25 View Post

The bezel (or lack thereof) looks awesome. I just am not a fan of the stand.

Does anyone have any issues with the low height of the stand? I'm thinking it's only about 2" from the bottom of the stand to the edge of the screen? Wall mount obviously not an issue, but I'm thinking with my tv stand (Salamander triple 20). the tv is going to be awfully low to the ground and I will be looking down at it from my seating position (should center of screen be around eye level?). Maybe they can't make it go up higher without stability issues?

Phil Tomaskovic
post #36 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Side by side and left to right in 2 pics are, respectively, the D8000 remote and the BD-D6500 remote. As you can see, they're nearly identical. The D8000 remote has a light on/off button on the top right as you can see. It's still too bright to test its effectiveness, and I've not into a dark room yet. Will try in tonight when it gets dark.

For now, the D8000 remote seems to control the BD player just fine. As a side note, the BD-D6500 is very slim, and seems to have LED touch screen controls. It's a slot load rather than a tray load, so it won't take mini-DVDs that some camcorders used in the past. It also had an easy set up, and found my wireless network right away

With a 3Mbps pipe, I streamed a sample of Vudu+ in SD. I assume that if I bought a monthly membership, I would get HD, streaming, but I'll need to explore that before I join anything.

I know the D8000 is just off of the shelf, but in case anyone was wondering, there was no software update (if it was a Windows based TV, there would already have been at least one critical update).

The last picture is the out of the box settings. I have the picture so far set to Standard. There are 4 picture choices - Dynamic, Standard, Natural and Movie. So far, Standard seems to be the best. First impressions are that Dynamic is brighter, with more contrast and color saturation. Watching an ice hockey game, Standard has whiter whites and more contrast. The hockey game looks really excellent. It makes me almost want to watch a game. It is still likely too saturated, but less artificially bright. There are no lights on in the crowd and it has very good black levels.

I'm not sure about natural yet. It seems to dull things too much, at least during a fairly bright day with ambient light.

There are a lot of picture settings. There's a Black Tone setting: Off, Dark, Darker and Darkest. I just changed it from Dark to Darkest. LED motion pluss includes: Off, Normal, Cinema and Ticker. I'm trying it on normal for now. It was off.

I have Edge Enhancement on for now.

Color Space includes Native, Custom and Auto. I just changed it to Auto for now.

I'm not touching Flesh Tone or White Balance for now.

Picture Options include Color Tone, Digital Noise filter (auto for now), MPEG Noise Filter (also Auto for now), HDMI Black level is greyed out (presumably because I chose Auto on either Color Tone.

Auto Motion Plus includes: Off, Clear, Std, Smooth, Custom and Demo. NO idea what to do here (this is where you all wish I knew what the heck I was doing). There's also Blur and Judder Reduction. When I turn on custom, not surprisingly, I can then tweak Blur and Judder Reduction, which I'm not planning on doing on my own.

Now that I've done a little more adjusting, Dynamic mode looks like an oversaturated, overly bright store demo. Of the modes, I like Standard at least for sports. There's no question (for my taste) that each of Standard, Natural and Movie all need some tweaking. I'm curious how close to D65 Natural and Movie are.

I also saw minimal judder on an iHop commercial (of all things). When the fork and spoon reach the waffles at the end, there's a bit of choppyness present. I tried all modes (above) and didn't see that much different when pausing and replaying the commercial over and over. It's going to take time watching normal programming for me to figure out what works.

For now, I'm going to try Black Ops as another test of motion.

This is going to take a lot more tweaking than I thought bc of all of the adjustment combinations.
I need to take screen-shots of the settings for each mode.
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #37 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I gotta tell you, as the sun goes down, the PQ gets better and better.

We're rebulding our deck and putting a roof over it. That will help a great deal with ambient light during the day. I can't wait to watch TV on it tonight.

BTW: I tried the Shrek 3 3D BR. I watched only for a few minutes, and it was great. Tilting my head made no noticeable difference unlike the Sony 52HX909.

I also watched some 2D-3D just to see. Not nearly as bad as I thought. I will try to watch some of my favorite shows in the next couple of days and see if its watcheable and adds anything. Never use the 3D active shudder glasses next to a latop though, wow did that flicker.

I love this TV so far.
LL

Jonathan
post #38 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
waitddaminute, what happened to that iPhone-like remote? or was that a Sammy App?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #39 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:31 PM

very nice, what do your glasses look like?
post #40 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Regarding the remote do you still have to keep pressing the source button to select the hdmi inputs because that really annoys me on my LE40A656.
post #41 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Great stuff so far man!! Thanks!

I see you play videogames, I'm not sure if you personally can notice this kind of thing, but could you try testing the input lag without using any kind of game mode?? For example, when you move the stick does the character start moving instantly or can you notice a delay? This requires a few tries and a bit of focus, and can be tested on any kind of action that is supposed to react instantly to a button press.
post #42 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:34 PM

Damn, that is one kickass bezel. Were you able to play Black Ops? How's the input lag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

I gotta tell you, as the sun goes down, the PQ gets better and better.

We're rebulding our deck and putting a roof over it. That will help a great deal with ambient light during the day. I can't wait to watch TV on it tonight.

BTW: I tried the Shrek 3 3D BR. I watched only for a few minutes, and it was great. Tilting my head made no noticeable difference unlike the Sony 52HX909.

I also watched some 2D-3D just to see. Not nearly as bad as I thought. I will try to watch some of my favorite shows in the next couple of days and see if its watcheable and adds anything. Never use the 3D active shudder glasses next to a latop though, wow did that flicker.

I love this TV so far.

post #43 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Naht,
I don't need pics, just info from either the users manual, or, from the TVs menu. I need to know if the 2011 Samsungs still support checkerboard mode. Easiest way is to use the remote to go to menu > picture > 3D > On . With 3D on, you will see all modes that are available. You should see seven icons, the fifth one over is checkerboard mode, it looks like a grid craved into the icon. You cannot get this info from the 3D button on the remote.
In the 2010 manual, this info is under Basic Features > picture menu > 3D.
I know that the menu system is changed from 2010, so basically I just need you to navigate the menu to a choice of 3D on or off, or look it up in the users manual.
Thanks!
post #44 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I think I'm in love!
post #45 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 12:56 PM

my biggest question also is about the input lag.
This is the exact TV i'm getting when it hits the shelves here in Canada and I'm concerned with Samsung's input Lag reputation.
Also like to thank you on behalf of everyone on here for all the time you are taking to write all the information possible about this TV. We are all very hungry for info, pics and anything else we can find out about the new tv. Gotta say keep up the good work and try out a few ps3 or 360 games for us so that we can find out about such issues as input lag. Thanks
post #46 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

waitddaminute, what happened to that iPhone-like remote? or was that a Sammy App?

That's exacty what I've been thinking. I do not know. I'll have to call either or both the big box store and Samsung and ask. While I don't think it's going back, it was one of the reasons I was swayed for the D8000 over the D7000 (and the micro-dimming). I

I don't know if there are any Samsung rep hanging around AVSForum or a store owner that has some idea. I'd sure like to know.

Jonathan
post #47 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtGoody View Post

Regarding the remote do you still have to keep pressing the source button to select the hdmi inputs because that really annoys me on my LE40A656.

You can either press source as you said in a round robin, or use the 4 way arrow pad.

Interestingly, whether bc of an auto-signal detect or bc the TV and BD player are both Samsung, the TV seemed to auto detect when I hit play on the BD and changed inputs.

Also apparently, the BD player remote turns off the TV (right in the middle of a team deathmatch). It's now obvious with a box around TV power on the BD remote.

Jonathan
post #48 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:17 PM

What Big Box store did you purchase from?
post #49 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronos Myth View Post

Great stuff so far man!! Thanks!

I see you play videogames, I'm not sure if you personally can notice this kind of thing, but could you try testing the input lag without using any kind of game mode?? For example, when you move the stick does the character start moving instantly or can you notice a delay? This requires a few tries and a bit of focus, and can be tested on any kind of action that is supposed to react instantly to a button press.

I've been playing a bit today, in between penance for not being much help around the house today. For a couple of rounds of Team Deathmatch, I did NOT notice any lag. The movement and aiming and shooting were as good as my DLP (which has no motion lag). When I accidently turned off the TV in a "One in the Chamber" game, there seemed to be a bit of lag when it came back on. It could have just as easily been a weaker network signal, so no motion lag conclusions yet.

I think if so far Black Ops had no lag, that's a great sign. I used the setting "Clear." I need to research the differences btw the motion lag modes. There doesn't seem to be one for game, and I wish I knew the difference. Otherwise I'm shooting a bit in the dark.

I'll probably play Foraza Motor Sports later to see if I can trigger anything. (not that I'm complaining if I can't).

Jonathan
post #50 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

Naht,
I don't need pics, just info from either the users manual, or, from the TVs menu. I need to know if the 2011 Samsungs still support checkerboard mode. Easiest way is to use the remote to go to menu > picture > 3D > On . With 3D on, you will see all modes that are available. You should see seven icons, the fifth one over is checkerboard mode, it looks like a grid craved into the icon. You cannot get this info from the 3D button on the remote.
In the 2010 manual, this info is under Basic Features > picture menu > 3D.
I know that the menu system is changed from 2010, so basically I just need you to navigate the menu to a choice of 3D on or off, or look it up in the users manual.
Thanks!

I'll work on that. For now, there are 2 available patterns under the Advanced Settings menu, Expert 1 and 2. 1 is a black and white screen (not a checkerboard) and one B&W. More pics coming.

Jonathan
post #51 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=CMPMERIDIAN;20107112]What Big Box store did you purchase from?[/QUOTE

Am I allowed to post that? It's not price talk, but...

Jonathan
post #52 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

More...

Pic #1
Various 3D and 2D-3D modes. I need a week of adjusting to figure all these options out.

Pic #2
Options in the Advanced Settings

Pic #3
Picture Options menu...sorry it's blurry

Pic #4
I found the Game Mode, which I didn't have on while gaming (as I hadn't found it yet). There are also options to turn the Samsung logo light off, and to turn it off on boot-up. I think the TV name is so your network can see it.

When I went to the Smart TV screen, there are options for Pictures, Videos and other things. When I wernt to pictures, it recognized one of my laptops. I need to download and install server software onto my PCs. I should then be able to show pics and videos from my computers onto my TV.

Pic #5
Sorry this is also blurry. I'm taking these w/o the flash and the shutter speed is fairly slow. It's the remote settings.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #53 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The glasses IMO are fairly light and comortable. My son and I both wear glasses and we both thought they fit over the glasses just fine. As you know, they're battery powered. The battery goes in the left side (left as in when you're wearing them) and the switch in on the top right. The only issue with the power button is that when taking them off, it's easy to hold them by the power button and inadvertently turn them off.

When watching a 3D BR movie (Shrek), the effect was great. I didn't notice any off axis issues. The only thing, which may be a side effect of active shutters, is that you notice the shuttering if you look at something to the side. All the more reason to get the largest 3D that you can...one that takes up peripheral vision would be ideal.

I now switched from Standard mode to Natural. After watching a bit of Golf (always good to see oversaturation), even Normal seems a bit too saturated. But I've got to say, there are so many controls and adjustments, that just picking a mode will NOT get you there if you like an out of the box D65.

I'm not sure why, but for those that don't like the stand, it really seems to dissapear under the TV - probably bc it's so low, as someone pointed out. Also, the light from the TV has the effect (on me) making it look black. I don't know why. The legs on the stand are still quite obviously silver.

So many things to try...so little time. I think I'm getting sick...achoo.
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #54 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:07 PM

Yes you can you just cannot discuss price.
post #55 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Brandsmart.

Jonathan
post #56 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
[quote=nahtanoj;20106846]Of the modes, I like Standard at least for sports. There's no question (for my taste) that each of Standard, Natural and Movie all need some tweaking. I'm curious how close to D65 Natural and Movie are.QUOTE]

Movie mode is usually the most accurate out of the box on Samsungs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #57 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=donnymac51;20107377]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

Of the modes, I like Standard at least for sports. There's no question (for my taste) that each of Standard, Natural and Movie all need some tweaking. I'm curious how close to D65 Natural and Movie are.QUOTE]

Movie mode is usually the most accurate out of the box on Samsungs.

Movie mode looked too pale, but it could be bc I reduced flesh tones to -4 from a starting point of 0.

Natural looks less faded, but faces still look a bit orange. I need to download that calibration disc badly.

Jonathan
post #58 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
nahtanoj,

A couple of things. First thanks for taking the time to take pictures and answer our questions about the TV. I have two for you.

1) Do you own Rockband 2 or 3 and the guitar to get a lag read out from the TV in normal and game modes?

2) Can you tell me if you can select the Warm color mode in Game mode?

Thanks!

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #59 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:29 PM

@nahtanoj

Have you noticed clouding or flashlight bleeding from the corners on black screens?

this was one of the problems of last year
post #60 of 8445 Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 PM

can you comment on the flash lighting (or hopefully lack there of) and clouding? Does the microdimming plus really deliver?

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page