post #6571 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

You also wont get this kind of brightness on any plasma; not even close:

This pic was taken on a Microdimming plus TV set with respective settings to take care of those issues.

I wish the room was dark when he took that picture.

After reading through this thread a bit, it seems some complain about it (some showing photo's as well) and some say its a non-issue... I guess the jury is out *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
It's very simple... It's the same thing; except you wont see anything except for the text. I purposefully lit the room a little bit so you could make out the edges of the TV; otherwise, its just all empty black space and just white text; not much to look out. There are other pictures out with the lights completely out. It makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.shalaby View Post

After reading through this thread a bit, it seems some complain about it (some showing photo's as well) and some say its a non-issue... I guess the jury is out *sigh*

Can your HTPC Media Center / DVR Do this??

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #6573 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:

It's very simple... It's the same thing; except you wont see anything except for the text. I purposefully lit the room a little bit so you could make out the edges of the TV; otherwise, its just all empty black space and just white text; not much to look out. There are other pictures out with the lights completely out. It makes no difference.

gotcha - so your basically stating you don't get any edge clouding whatsoever on your set? thats good news

what are your settings if you don't mind me asking? backlight/contrast/brightness/etc....
post #6574 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM

After viewing samsung's new TV line-up and features. Will UNXXD8000 sets continue to get Smart Hub updates to keep up with 2012 Televisions?
post #6575 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM

I have the 55UND8000. I have a Samsung blu ray player (D5500). So, I calibrated the TV image using CNETs settings, and for blu rays, it looks good and sharp but the image has some kind of dark, sepia like tone, and I don't like it most of the times. The BD-Wise setting that gets set by default because of the blu ray player is more vibrant color wise and way brighter, but you can see those giant pixels in faces and what not, any advice on this?

should I use MKANET settings from his website or is there any other agreed upon settings for this?
post #6576 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Ill post a pic later tonight when it's dark enough in my room. You can see for yourself.

I'm using my modified settings (core settings from 3DTV Buyers guide); which had color corrections/observations that matched to the characteristics of my TV set. Cnet's settings somehow made my TV look like the life was sucked right out of it. I'm convinced they had an earlier version of the TV which had different characteristics. Im not too surprised why Cnet gave the TV such a bad review. I would too with their settings.

Edit: My settings however are meant for RGB 0-255 brightness input sources.

Quote:

gotcha - so your basically stating you don't get any edge clouding whatsoever on your set? thats good news

what are your settings if you don't mind me asking? backlight/contrast/brightness/etc....

SageTV: Unrestricted full-quality 12 tuner HD Premium Cable recording, including "On Demand" in HD + OTA ATSC + DVB-S2 + Blu-ray/HD-DVD serving 5 clients.
post #6577 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanElite_MX View Post

I have the 55UND8000. I have a Samsung blu ray player (D5500). So, I calibrated the TV image using CNETs settings, and for blu rays, it looks good and sharp but the image has some kind of dark, sepia like tone, and I don't like it most of the times. The BD-Wise setting that gets set by default because of the blu ray player is more vibrant color wise and way brighter, but you can see those giant pixels in faces and what not, any advice on this?

should I use MKANET settings from his website or is there any other agreed upon settings for this?

I thought cnet's setting were dark and dull compared to Mkanet's settings. Just plug into a different output and try Mkanet's settings, if you don't like it go back to your other input. I used the original settings, not the PC settings. I didn't like the PC settings enough to keep it.
post #6578 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 PM

No one having this issue? It really is a hindrance to everything I do on the TV. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtnaples View Post

Alright so I have had the TV for a while now. UN55D8000 H303..

Great TV and aside from some uniformity issues in certain images the TV constantly wows me.

That said I have a pretty big problem with the audio.

I have a Panasonic SC-PT770 home theater in a box set. Problem is, when it is connected to the TV through Digital audio out, the audio drops out for 1-4 seconds every time there is a sudden loud noise. It has been annoying but tolerable for the last 2 months since it usually only happens 2 or three times per movie.

However I just watched Tron:Legacy on Blu Ray and the movie was completely unwatchable. Audio dropping every other explosion in the movie. I Hooked it back up to the PS3 directly, and it works just fine no audio drops. (Keep in mind this problem is across the board, DVR Box, Bluray's, 360 Games, everything.)

I have tried messing around with the settings on the receiver, no luck. And the TV itself does not really have many options for audio when digital out is selected. (Dolby Digital has always been greyed out, even when the digital audio cable is unplugged. )

Help please? This problem ranges from annoying to detrimental to my experience.

post #6579 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtnaples View Post

No one having this issue? It really is a hindrance to everything I do on the TV. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Shot in the dark...
have you check to see if it's an hdmi cable problem?
Or maybe if it's an hdmi 1.3/1.4 issue.
post #6580 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

As I had mentioned before, when I turn off the lights, all you see is floating text mysteriously in the middle of the air.

People who see clouding or flashlighting on a UNxxD8000 aren't using optimal settings. Not even local dimming TV's like LG/Sony NX929 can reproduce this kind of dynamic contrast without weird golfball shaped glowing effects behind the text.

I'm sure it goes without saying if there was light, you would be able to see the wall behind the TV in both pictures.

Quote:

post #6581 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 08:24 PM

I love to know why Samsung gave the US model the technology to get rid of clouding & flash lighting etc and to just leave the EU model so we have no option to get rid of these problems hence a lot of returns to Samsung. Would be an awesome set if it wasn't for the various faults not just one fault but a few.
post #6582 of 8451 Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post

MKANET you have been very jenerous with sharing settings I hope you have time for a question or 2, I have not tried your settings yet.

1. I play PS3 and all the settings for Auto Motion Plus except for clear makes my golf game skip (not smooth) with your new setting you have custom instead of clear should I just change that?

2. All my devices are going to the reciever and just 1 HDMI is going into the TV I believe HDMI 1 should I change this?

Thanks again.

put your TV in Game Mode for playing ps3 games
post #6583 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Too bad, unlike the soon-to-be-released 2012 Models that will feature "Smart Evolution" Future proof TVs, the 2011 UNxxD8000s missed the bus on this gr8 feature.........
post #6584 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Too bad, unlike the soon-to-be-released 2012 Models that will feature "Smart Evolution" Future proof TVs, the 2011 UNxxD8000s missed the bus on this gr8 feature.........

I know, this is the one of the reasons why I am thinking of returning the 2011 TV for the 2012 model.
post #6585 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 AM

Shouldn't he remove the serial number from the picture for his safety?

post #6586 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 AM

I have an Samsung Model D8000 (not D800) - I'm currently in the UAE (Dubai) so I'm pretty sure it's a European Model. I don't have SmartLED the specialized US functions

I also have my AVR connected to my TV through HDMI 1 (PC/DVI) - should I continue to use this input or switch to HDMI 2 (or 3,4)

Thanks
post #6587 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

How is it future-proof if the display technology itself keeps changing quickly every year (LED/LED technologies, OLED, etc)? There's still a lot of room for displays to keep getting better each year. The only real advantage "Smart Evolution" offers seems to be related to processing power and memory capacity for firmware updates. You would have to buy the "smart evolution" module each year you want to keep up with technology; but the display will still stay the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

post #6588 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Smart Evolution is simply a marketing gimmick. All the major advances in TVs over the past 20 years have been in the display, not software. When 4K & OLED arrive, you're going to need a new TV, not an update to your current one.
post #6589 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:

How is it future-proof if the display technology itself keeps changing quickly every year (LED/LED technologies, OLED, etc)? There's still a lot of room for displays to keep getting better each year. The only real advantage "Smart Evolution" offers seems to be related to processing power and memory capacity for firmware updates. You would have to buy the "smart evolution" module each year you want to keep up with technology; but the display will still stay the same.

Sounds like a way to piece meal new features for a price. Any advancements that improves the TV viewing experience will require new electronics. If the hardware is not capable, firmware updates will only get you so far. This is a concept that will be dead by the 2014 CES.
post #6590 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM

Question, what is the most common setup? Is running everything through the AV Receiver the best way to go? That's what I have now and it seems fine. I"m upgrading my TV to the UN60D8000 and I was wondering if that is still the best way to go? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #6591 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

put your TV in Game Mode for playing ps3 games

First thanks MKanet, as far as the Game Mode I don't really like the look seems kind of dark to me.

So now after hooking up:

Cable Box
PS3
Blu-ray 3d
DVD recorder player
Xbox (orginal)

Into the reciever first and then out with one HDMI into HDMI 1 of the UN55D8000 maybe I should rethink this to get better picture quility on the different components????????
post #6592 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsscientist View Post

...Having said that, the lower left corner of my TV has a fist-size irregular "blob" of white cloud which shows in any dim scenes, which I have no idea why.

Hey I also have a fist-size "blob" of white cloud in the lower right corner of my TV, which also shows up in any dark scenes.

I'm just wondering if we all have this problem to a certain extent?
post #6593 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by osburnfamily View Post

Also, the xvYCC option on the D8000 TV is only avail when you're source is in YCbCr mode. So, if you see & have the ability to set xvYCC on the tv, then you're not in RGB anyway-- thus Mike's setting won't work.

I'm using the hdmi output from my Verizon stb ... is that why?
post #6594 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Edit: My settings however are meant for RGB 0-255 brightness input sources.

I'm sorry for the dumb question, but I don't understand what a RBG 0-255 input source is...
post #6595 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:

First thanks MKanet, as far as the Game Mode I don't really like the look seems kind of dark to me.

So now after hooking up:

Cable Box
PS3
Blu-ray 3d
DVD recorder player
Xbox (orginal)

Into the reciever first and then out with one HDMI into HDMI 1 of the UN55D8000 maybe I should rethink this to get better picture quility on the different components????????

That's what I was wondering. My receiver isn't 3D ready though. So I'm not sure if I need to change the way my 3D BluRay is hooked up. Do I go directly to the TV?? But then what about sound?? I wouldnt get sound out of my 5.1 system??
post #6596 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:

So now after hooking up:

Cable Box
PS3
Blu-ray 3d
DVD recorder player
Xbox (orginal)

well, game mode is what you want for xbox and ps3, as it disables all processing so you do not get controller lag. and, u might find it dark, then adjust the display. you also need to make sure you have the display settings on PS3 and Xbox set correctly, this could be your issue.
post #6597 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick24 View Post

That's what I was wondering. My receiver isn't 3D ready though. So I'm not sure if I need to change the way my 3D BluRay is hooked up. Do I go directly to the TV?? But then what about sound?? I wouldnt get sound out of my 5.1 system??

the only way for you to do that is to use HDMI to TV, Toslink to Receiver, or get a bluray that has dual HDMI outputs. or buy a new AVR
post #6598 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick24 View Post

I recently faced the same problem. My AVR just missed HDMI 1.4, but is too new to replace. I decided to go for the dual-HDMI Blu-Ray option and chose the Samsung 6700. So far, I am thrilled with it. This method also gives you the option of choosing to use the TV speakers or your AVR. (The former option is great for my kid's movies and simplifies the process for my wife.) If you use a regular Blu-Ray (not dual HDMI) and send the optical cable to your AVR, you will get 5.1, but not the latest HD audio options by Dolby and DTS. (Even if your AVR can't decode the HD audio tracks, the Blu-Ray player can, but can only send the signal - as PCM - to your AVR via HDMI, not optical.) Thus, in order to get 3D and HD audio capabilities, the only options are a dual-HDMI Blu-Ray player or a new AVR with HDMI 1.4 abilities.
post #6599 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

the only way for you to do that is to use HDMI to TV, Toslink to Receiver, or get a bluray that has dual HDMI outputs. or buy a new AVR

what is that connection to the receiver?
post #6600 of 8451 Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by by96 View Post

I recently faced the same problem. My AVR just missed HDMI 1.4, but is too new to replace. I decided to go for the dual-HDMI Blu-Ray option and chose the Samsung 6700. So far, I am thrilled with it. This method also gives you the option of choosing to use the TV speakers or your AVR. (The former option is great for my kid's movies and simplifies the process for my wife.) If you use a regular Blu-Ray (not dual HDMI) and send the optical cable to your AVR, you will get 5.1, but not the latest HD audio options by Dolby and DTS. (Even if your AVR can't decode the HD audio tracks, the Blu-Ray player can, but can only send the signal - as PCM - to your AVR via HDMI, not optical.) Thus, in order to get 3D and HD audio capabilities, the only options are a dual-HDMI Blu-Ray player or a new AVR with HDMI 1.4 abilities.

Thanks a lot for the info! I didn't know I could do that. Do you have all your gear going through your receiver and 1 HDMI cable to the TV?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page