Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - Page 265 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7921 of 8440 Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can confirm that at least on my D6000 turning Film mode off and using AMP does not help the juddering issue. Would be inclined to hear other opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7922 of 8440 Old 03-22-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

My Fios/DirecTV stbs have a way to set rez to 'native', which in turn will let my tv scale the various signals, whatever they may be: 480i/p,720p,1080i/p. With this approach u get various flashes & it takes time to sync up. I wonder how much better, if @ all, the Samsung components scale the signal, than the Motorola scaler does. If i just set my stbs to 1080i I don't get all the flashes/change/delay to resolve the signal.

Is it a worthwhile benefit of setting it to native? Than leaving the stbs @ 1080i?

What's your take?

I've noticed the same thing on my TV. Switching between 1080p & 720P sources takes 2-3 seconds and I have a black screen until it changes.

This gets pretty annoying quick. I would guess it is about 50/50 between which HD channels are 1080p and which are 720p.

Is there anyway to change settings to fix this, without affecting picture quality??
post #7923 of 8440 Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadin19 View Post

I can confirm that at least on my D6000 turning Film mode off and using AMP does not help the juddering issue. Would be inclined to hear other opinions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21790506

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #7924 of 8440 Old 03-22-2012, 03:14 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys6190 View Post

I've noticed the same thing on my TV. Switching between 1080p & 720P sources takes 2-3 seconds and I have a black screen until it changes.

This gets pretty annoying quick. I would guess it is about 50/50 between which HD channels are 1080p and which are 720p.

Is there anyway to change settings to fix this, without affecting picture quality??

I wonder why, when you're in that service menu of a FiOS HD/DVR box, does it have 1080p as an option? I was under the assumption that FiOS nor Cable have anything broadcasted in 1080p? I use native as well but the TV always says 1080i or 720p, depending on the program.
post #7925 of 8440 Old 03-22-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

I wonder why, when you're in that service menu of a FiOS HD/DVR box, does it have 1080p as an option? I was under the assumption that FiOS nor Cable have anything broadcasted in 1080p? I use native as well but the TV always says 1080i or 720p, depending on the program.

I will have to check my cable box settings. I was under the same impression that Cable HD channels were either 720P or 1080i. But since I hooked the TV up a few weeks ago its says 720P or 1080P in the top left box when changing channels.

It is very annoying to have to wait 2-3 seconds on a black screen when changing channels.
post #7926 of 8440 Old 03-22-2012, 08:44 PM

I just wanna chime in and say I'm annoyed with the fact that these TVs can't pass anything other than stereo through the HDMI ARC channel. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. Am I missing something?
post #7927 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

Call the store, no need to bring the tv back in the box.

I prefer the ones that came in the box compared to the free ones BB gave me. The ones in the box are usb rechargeable, the extras one I got use a battery. I haven't even opened the battery powered ones yet.

The battery ones fit so much better, epically on kids. My model is the something 3050, the viewing experience is the same with either, but figured i' mention it

PSN: CAPTDANMAN
post #7928 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey75 View Post

The battery ones fit so much better, epically on kids. My model is the something 3050, the viewing experience is the same with either, but figured i' mention it

How long to the batteries last? That's why I haven't used those yet.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #7929 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:

Call the store, no need to bring the tv back in the box.

I prefer the ones that came in the box compared to the free ones BB gave me. The ones in the box are usb rechargeable, the extras one I got use a battery. I haven't even opened the battery powered ones yet.

They gave me no fuss, gave 2 pairs of the 3050 model. Are those better than the 3500 that were supposed to come in box? I saw online there are like 4 different model glasses for 2011 sets. Are any better than the other?
post #7930 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

They last a while... the 3100's that came with the tv however I find having to constantly charge since they can't seem to hold much just being stored.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #7931 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

To be determined on the battery life, but there is an on/off buttom, which has both pros and cons. the USB rechargeables (3500) are great, until you want to watch a movie, and realize the batteries are dead, you'll need to charge them half an hour, or more.

The 3050 do not automatically sync to the TV, you need to do it manually, we noticed that after stopping the video once, we had to resync the 3050's while the 3500 model that came with the TV were automatic.

I think for the price you pay for the 3050, or it you got them free, you can't beat them, they come with a battery, I picked up a battery 5 pack, for $2, and they fit tighter, the 3500's are a little flimsy in my opinion, fit very loose.

post #7932 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweilbacher View Post

Over in the D7000 Thread, the Juddering issue was disucssed. Some (including me) found the problem dissappeared after turning off "Film Mode". Seems this setting is causing some additional pre-processing of the signal. Once I turned it off, all juddering issues were gone.

I've have yet to have the option to adjust the film mode, its always greyed out not sure what benefit I'd get, but I've given up trying to access it.

As far as judder is concerned, I would not say it's the TV but the source or the content, but some TV's do manage it better than others. I'm running my TV from an HTPC with a ceton tuner, with the automotion set to clear works wonders. Also, if you have a HTPC running 24X7 make sure you do a reboot if you make adjusts on the GPU setting or the even the TV, some times the setting don't seem to take effect until after a power cycle.

post #7933 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

Guys? I got my 55D8000 yesterday at local big box and set it up last night and I love it! But could not find any glasses in box that were supposed to be included? Should I bring this up to store today or do I need to call Samsung?

Elykoj, tommypolo from the LM7600 thread here,

Glad you like the U8000. I've finally got the picture on my 7600 to where I am very happy. Used the Disney WOW calibration DVD. I highly recommend it.

Can you you compare the Active 3D to Passive 3D, particularly the glasses. Are the active ones much heavier? Can you hear/feel the shuttering? Let me know any other opinions you have on the differences. Thanks.
post #7934 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post

The AMP requires processing that causes some lag. That's why it is turned off in game mode. You have to increase the audio delay on your receiver to compensate for the lag it causes.

How does one increase audio delay on receiver? Don't see that option? I see it on tv settings but can't get it just right?
post #7935 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post

The thing is, the tv looks phenomenal 97% of the time, and plasma comes with a different set of issues that would probably drive me crazy. Also, I was able to minimize some of the other issues by changing my settings. I'm thinking the pink tinged hockey must have been an anomoly because I watched some hockey tonight and didn't have that issue. The only thing I noticed--when I specifically looked for it--was a section on the left side of the screen that was somewhat blue, which I hope will be able to be corrected through a good calibration or a firmware update.

Speaking of firmware updates, my tv shipped with 1003 and cannot be updated online. Does anyone have any news about Samsung correcting the problem of some TVs not being able to update online? I'd be fine with a USB update, but new firmware doesn't appear to be available anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesrule123 View Post

it is the direct tv box. i had mine swapped out and problem is gone

I have this stutter, or looks like a stopped frame as well. Can't fix it with settings? It is AT&T's newest box. Just got it last week when old box took a crap right before I got this one?
post #7936 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post

I have Time Warner cable. It does the same thing.

I have AT&T and getting stutter/ quick freeze issues?
post #7937 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Hey guys, I was thinking about this set. I would be coming from a "old" 52in Sony LCD screen. A Sony w3000 I believe. It just looks bad by todays standards. I know of all the issues you're all mentioning, but coming from a tv like the Sony to this SamSung, no way would I be dissapointed right?

Only thing bad is I have a window that would face the screen. I know it'll be bad as it's BAD on the current screen. But how much more glare would this glossy SamSung add? It's supposed to help,right?

Also, whats the wattage on this? I think the Sony said 295watts at full power consumption
post #7938 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I think I'm getting closer to understanding the automotion plus bug on samsung TVs. It looks like it's sensitive to certain 1080i encodings (re-encoded/compressed further by cableTV/satellite companies). I think that these re-encoded TV channels might be encoding non-standard interlaced format which Samsung automotion plus hasn't been tested with. I think it's only been tested with ATSC broadcast format.

Here's one way to prove it..

For those of you who are noticing stuttering on certain TV channels (when you have automotion plus set to anything other than "clear"...

I suspect it's not likely to happen on local TV channels since typically cableTV/satelliteTV providers don't re-encode those channels; leaving them at their original ATSC 1080i/720p specs. I also suspect its not likely to happen on sports channels such as ESPN which should be at 720p.

My guess is the only way we will see this fixed is if Samsung has engineers in the United states to test common cableTV/satellite providers such as Comcast. I dont think content providers in Japan re-encode their TV channels the same way.

It doesn't seem like EVERYONE is complaining about it? I wonder I'd certain cable companies compress their signal more than others?
post #7939 of 8440 Old 03-23-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKANET View Post

I finally figured out a way to never have stutter for bluray or TV (when automotion plus is enabled to anything other than plus).

I've been extremely motivated to get automotion plus "Custom: blur-reduction=10, judder reduction=3". I finally realized that this TV prefers 1920x1080p@24Hz from bluray/dvd and 1920x1080p@60hz for TV.

You may or may not have this ability on your cableboxes; but if you have stutter for TV, if you can configure your cablebox to deinterlace TV to 1080p at 60Hz, you can use any automotion setting you want. If you set your bluray player to 24Hz, the TV will also be able to use any automotion setting.

With my PC, I am able to tell it to use 24Hz for bluray playback and 60Hz for TV.

I have a Sony S480 blu ray and Uverse cable.. How can I change settings? Stutter is pissing me off
post #7940 of 8440 Old 03-24-2012, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've been a silent lurker on this unxxD8000 forum since August of last year ( 2011 ) I finaly bit the bullit end of September 2011 and bought this TV UN55D8000 to replace a KDL55e2000 that had developed some of the widespread issues that Sony RPJ TV's are having.
So after having this TV (H302 pannel) for 6 months and reading this forum i've decided that i must have hit the jackpot because the only issues i've incountered are a small amount of Flashlighting and 1/4 inch line across the bottom of screen that was lighter than above screen ( Blooming ? ) but both of these were corrected by adjusting the backlevel and brightness. I got to sit down with the TV last night alone and watch some content by myself in a dark room and i was once again blown away.
lastnights playlist
Transformers Dark Moon 3d On Demand ( small amount of crosstalk adjusted 3d optimize setting to +1 fixed problem. )
Pirates of the Caribbean On Stranger Tides 2d Blueray.
post #7941 of 8440 Old 03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

I've been a silent lurker on this unxxD8000 forum since August of last year ( 2011 ) I finaly bit the bullit end of September 2011 and bought this TV UN55D8000 to replace a KDL55e2000 that had developed some of the widespread issues that Sony RPJ TV's are having.
So after having this TV (H302 pannel) for 6 months and reading this forum i've decided that i must have hit the jackpot because the only issues i've incountered are a small amount of Flashlighting and 1/4 inch line across the bottom of screen that was lighter than above screen ( Blooming ? ) but both of these were corrected by adjusting the backlevel and brightness. I got to sit down with the TV last night alone and watch some content by myself in a dark room and i was once again blown away.
lastnights playlist
Transformers Dark Moon 3d On Demand ( small amount of crosstalk adjusted 3d optimize setting to +1 fixed problem. )

Glad to hear someone is having good luck with this set. I got the 65D8000 a few weeks ago. Since then I've had a panel replacement and now I'm getting the tv exchanged. I haven't given up on it yet because I love the picture quality on it, minus the issues. Everyone raves about the 929 and I went to Frys and messed with that tv for over an hour. Had it in a dark media room with my PS3 and watched a couple blu rays and played a couple different games and even tested the 3D. I honestly don't know what all the hype is about. The viewing angles were just as bad as the Samsung. Blooming was really bad and so was the banding. If my next D8000 doesn't work out, I'm gonna get a refund and wait for the 60 or 65 ES8000.

After saying all this, I think the 55 and 60 D800's issues aren't quite as extreme as the 65" I still regret sending back my 60" because I really didn't notice any of the issues everyone on here have been talking about. Good luck with your tv!

post #7942 of 8440 Old 03-25-2012, 11:26 AM

No replies yet to my questions below?
I have another question, this tv is supposed to be full array micro dimming? Or is that different things? I keep reading stuff that's it's edge lighted but if so, then it can't be full array, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak View Post

Hey guys, I was thinking about this set. I would be coming from a "old" 52in Sony LCD screen. A Sony w3000 I believe. It just looks bad by todays standards. I know of all the issues you're all mentioning, but coming from a tv like the Sony to this SamSung, no way would I be dissapointed right?

Only thing bad is I have a window that would face the screen. I know it'll be bad as it's BAD on the current screen. But how much more glare would this glossy SamSung add? It's supposed to help,right?

Also, whats the wattage on this? I think the Sony said 295watts at full power consumption

post #7943 of 8440 Old 03-25-2012, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstreak View Post

No replies yet to my questions below?
I have another question, this tv is supposed to be full array micro dimming? Or is that different things? I keep reading stuff that's it's edge lighted but if so, then it can't be full array, right?

The screen is glossy &reflective I have some glare from the two windows on either side of my front door I have a frosted window application on these for privacy.

Samsung UN55D8000 Provides Incredible Contrast with Micro Dimming Plus
Micro Dimming Plus is unique feature on Samsung LED UN55D8000. TVs typically treat their light source as a single light even though there may be many bulbs making up that light. While most TVs can vary the brightness, they expose the whole scene to the same light. As a result, a bright object in a dark scene (a candle in a dark room) is dimmed to make the room dark, or a dark object in a bright scene (an action hero silhouetted against an explosion) is grayer than it should be to make the scene bright.

With the advent of LED TVs, this was no longer a limitation of TV. LED light sources can be placed behind the panel and used to light only a specific region. With many of these LEDs behind the panel, bright areas get the light they need and dark areas stay dark. This is a process commonly called "Local Dimming".

However, Local Dimming poses other problems: the TV must be thicker and more LEDs are needed making the set more expensive and less energy efficient. Samsung has found a way to create the contrast improvements offered by Local Dimming without sacrificing the TVs depth, design, energy efficiency or price. This innovative technology is called Micro Dimming. It uses software to analyze the picture, break it up into many squares, and adjust the panel to account for darker and brighter areas. On the LED 8000, this is taken even further with Micro Dimming Plus.

In addition to the Micro Dimming software, the LED UN55D8000's Micro Dimming Plus features built-in hardware that allows for each of the LEDs lights to be automatically adjusted independently. If you are looking for elite picture quality in an ultra slim TV, Micro Dimming Plus in the Samsung UN55D8000 ensures that the image is as close as possible to what the camera saw when the video or film was made.

List Price: $3,000.99
Samsung 55-Inch LED TV UN55D8000 Now on Sale at Amazon.com

at 9:30 AM
Email This
BlogThis!
Share to Twitter
Share to Facebook
Labels: Micro Dimming Plus, Samsung, UN55D8000, UN55D8000 Features
Newer Post Older Post Home
post #7944 of 8440 Old 03-25-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagit811 View Post

My d8000 stopped saving my network settings after an firmware update. I had to get the main board replaced too. It took the service techs all of 10 min to replace the board, my TV has worked without issues since. I will say I'm reluctant to update the firmware anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickequist View Post

I have a UN55D8000 that i bought in august of 2011.I downloaded the latest firmware last night version 1026 i believe (3-20-12) and ever since then my TV has been turning on and off automatically at any time and the remote wont work and also the buttons on the side of the TV wont work either. i have unplugged the TV and tried pretty much everything i can think of. i emailed a service center in my area and they said that i am going to need a new main PC board also i read that i may need a new main control board.. the TV worked FINE before as i watched 2 movies right before i updated the TV. can anyone please help?

Mine wacked out after a firmware update too, early model D8000. Would turn off 15 seconds after turning it on. They replaced the mainboard and I've updated firmware once, want to do it again, but afraid to. What a lousy firmware update design; I've never had firmware update issues on any of my other gadgets: phones, musical equipment, motherboards, routers, etc. The Samsung online 'chat' support person said 'You shouldn't have done that' when I told him I did a firmware update. Whatever...

I'm hoping it was a firmware update design issue with early motherboards, and I'm going to update firmware before my warranty runs out in July. If the only way to get new features and apps is with firmware updates, they better make them work or learn to make a back-up firmware restore feature.

-cp
post #7945 of 8440 Old 03-25-2012, 06:03 PM

RollTide2011- Well I read that. But it really didn't say if it's adjusting panels of leds behind the LCD or if its adjusting the edge led lighting, if its using edge lighting.
post #7946 of 8440 Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post

I just wanna chime in and say I'm annoyed with the fact that these TVs can't pass anything other than stereo through the HDMI ARC channel. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. Am I missing something?

This is false!

I just tested it on my UN55D8000. It can pass either stereo_PCM, DTS, or Dolby Digital. Hit menu key on your remote, and then sound, SPDIF Out and then change the mode when your playing something VIA your TV. I tried all 3 modes, and they all seem to work correctly. I'm playing Immortals in DTS using Samsungs All Share app - playing it off my NAS.
post #7947 of 8440 Old 03-26-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantick View Post

Mine wacked out after a firmware update too, early model D8000. Would turn off 15 seconds after turning it on. They replaced the mainboard and I've updated firmware once, want to do it again, but afraid to. What a lousy firmware update design; I've never had firmware update issues on any of my other gadgets: phones, musical equipment, motherboards, routers, etc. The Samsung online 'chat' support person said 'You shouldn't have done that' when I told him I did a firmware update. Whatever...

I'm hoping it was a firmware update design issue with early motherboards, and I'm going to update firmware before my warranty runs out in July. If the only way to get new features and apps is with firmware updates, they better make them work or learn to make a back-up firmware restore feature.

-cp

I just did the 1026 update, no issues noticed so far and don't know what was changed other than smarthub added a couple of apps that I deleted.

-cp
post #7948 of 8440 Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post

This is false!

I just tested it on my UN55D8000. It can pass either stereo_PCM, DTS, or Dolby Digital. Hit menu key on your remote, and then sound, SPDIF Out and then change the mode when your playing something VIA your TV. I tried all 3 modes, and they all seem to work correctly. I'm playing Immortals in DTS using Samsungs All Share app - playing it off my NAS.

Thanks for your response. I believe the TV itself can output DD and DTS, it's passing surround 5.1 sound through HDMI inputs specifically I'm having trouble with. For example, I can get 5.1 Dolby Digital when watching HBO GO via SmartHub (using an optical cable from TV to receiver). However, if I were to try to play Xbox 360 plugged into the TV via HDMI, (with TV connected to receiver VIA ARC HDMI input 2), the SPDIF output is greyed out and I don't have the option of changing the output format to, say, Dolby Digital for example.

Not sure if my settings are messed up but if anyone has successfully passed 5.1 sound from a component plugged into the TV via HDMI please let me know how you did it!
post #7949 of 8440 Old 03-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGwhat View Post

Thanks for your response. I believe the TV itself can output DD and DTS, it's passing surround 5.1 sound through HDMI inputs specifically I'm having trouble with. For example, I can get 5.1 Dolby Digital when watching HBO GO via SmartHub (using an optical cable from TV to receiver). However, if I were to try to play Xbox 360 plugged into the TV via HDMI, (with TV connected to receiver VIA ARC HDMI input 2), the SPDIF output is greyed out and I don't have the option of changing the output format to, say, Dolby Digital for example.

Not sure if my settings are messed up but if anyone has successfully passed 5.1 sound from a component plugged into the TV via HDMI please let me know how you did it!

at that step u would need to run the optical from the 360 to AVR
post #7950 of 8440 Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

lastnights playlist

I was interested in your post about the "blooming" at the bottom of your screen. I posted about the same thing a few pages ago with no response. Mine seems better sometimes and worse at others. It is most obvious on solid bright colors and can appear as high as one inch. I am interested to know what settings you found for backlevel and brightness were helpful. I had mine professional calibrated with little to no improvement. Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page