Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - Page 268 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #8011 of 8445 Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I thought I was set with the settings that MKANET posted but after a day of watching it ..still didn't look right. Not clear enough ..no flesh tones. So I kept searching this forum and found the posts from D8000 and Temperset. changed my settings to what they posted and the picture looks AWESOME !!! very happy now. Thank you so much for posting these settings. What a difference ! Great picture. The only change I made so far, was to set the motion to clear otherwise I was getting some serious judder. I did set the black to dark and dynamic contrast to low as you suggested we could do and it looks perfect.

THANKS !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8445 Old 04-07-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajseagles3 View Post

Really need some help... Tried to search the thread to no avail...

Just got the TV set up today. Network connection went smoothly with a high signal strength. All is good with the picture/etc. HOWEVER, I am completely unable to Search or to go to the Samsung Apps button. Attempting to hit enter on either one on the SmartHub menu simply does nothing. Any ideas?

BUMP - hoping some of you advanced users can help out.

Update: The wireless connection asks to be set up every time I go to smarthub and doesn't really hold firm as the router is on the other side of the house. So, I have ordered a repeater that should take care of the signal issues.

But literally, the apps button on the top right of smarthub doesn't respond at all. Has anyone else had this issue?
post #8013 of 8445 Old 04-07-2012, 06:31 AM

Tried MKANET's calibration settings. Good results.
post #8014 of 8445 Old 04-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Has anyone here thought of exchanging the TV out for a plasma? If so, why or why not, and which one?
post #8015 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 11:06 AM

2 questions, First, I have 2 HDMI input to the tv and they are cable and my blu ray. How do I change the name to say those instead of just saying hdmi3 or hdmi2 ? Also, when I turn on my bluray player while on the cable source it will auto shift to my bluray HDMI connection, but then when I turn off the bluray it just goes to my tv source which is all fuzz and I have to manually hit source to put it back to my cable HDMI ? Why won't it automatically go back to cable source? Do I need to delete the sources that I don't use?
post #8016 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Uggg... Thought I was happy with Tempest settings. They are probably the best I have seen so far but after a few days and watching some movies it is just way to yellowish/dark which I know comes from using warm 2. Can't win. These settings look great for a bright scene but when a scene is dark .. you lose the flesh tones and everything just looks yellow or to dark. I am back to using the standard settings out of the box with some adjustments but this of course produces a wash out look.

Hate to return this TV but I can't help but think a plasma is the way to go. By cheap 46 inch Dynax plasma in my bedroom has a better picture for most scenes.

I realize there may be some other settings in this forum but this forum is over 250 pages. Does anyone have some alternative settings that they are real happy with and do not produce either a to dark yellowish tint or washed out to bright look?
post #8017 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Yes I am thinking about doing that now. If I do, I would have to go with a Panasonic since they are the experts for plasma tv's and always receive high ratings. The draw back is the weight, expensive 3d glasses, thickness although the news ones come close in depth size. Just not sure if it is worth returning the Samsung for a plasma yet. I am going to keep trying to get the right settings before I decide.
post #8018 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman193 View Post

Uggg... Thought I was happy with Tempest settings. They are probably the best I have seen so far but after a few days and watching some movies it is just way to yellowish/dark which I know comes from using warm 2. Can't win. These settings look great for a bright scene but when a scene is dark .. you lose the flesh tones and everything just looks yellow or to dark. I am back to using the standard settings out of the box with some adjustments but this of course produces a wash out look.

Hate to return this TV but I can't help but think a plasma is the way to go. By cheap 46 inch Dynax plasma in my bedroom has a better picture for most scenes.

I realize there may be some other settings in this forum but this forum is over 250 pages. Does anyone have some alternative settings that they are real happy with and do not produce either a to dark yellowish tint or washed out to bright look?

I believe if you want something perfect you're going to have to cough up the money to get it calibrated. As stated before every TV is different so if you're anal and need it to be perfect you'll probably need to get it calibrated.
post #8019 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Assuming you use a receiver, how do you calibrate the TV when your sources change between bluray, directv/cable, streaming, video game, etc. but it's all on the same source?
post #8020 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM

I agree that I may need to just try a professional calibration and yes..I am a little anal about finding the right picture.

I haven't even tried a blue ray yet so my settings were the same. I simply downloaded a movie from Pay per view and it really was too dark / yellow with the Temprest settings. When watching most regular HDTV shows it appears fine except when there is a dark scene.

I understand everyone's lighting etc.. is different but still ... come on .. there has to be some settings that work in general with a happy medium between to yellow and to blue ( dark vs washed out ).
post #8021 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

Has anyone here thought of exchanging the TV out for a plasma? If so, why or why not, and which one?

I had a UN60D8000 previously which was actually good (after a panel replacement for screen uniformity issues) but wanted a larger screen size.

I considered a Panasonic VT30 but a lot of people seemed to have issues with it and the less than accurate color was enough to scare me away from it. I decided to get a Samsung PN64E8000 which had great picture but had a horrible buzzing sound coming from it so I tried one more which had less buzz but had several stuck pixels glowing bright red so I gave up on plasma and decided to try a UN65D8000 that I was able to get a great deal on hopefully it will be a good set I'll know Thursday.

The biggest thing that struck me between the UN60D8000 and the PN64E8000 was that the black level on the plasma was not a lot better.

Don't get me wrong it was better but not much. So in the end the buzzzzz, higher power consumption, and the constant potential for temporary image retention I think the LCD is a better choice for me at this time.

I think if you can get a D8000 with good screen uniformity they are a good choice especially after proper calibration.
post #8022 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

Assuming you use a receiver, how do you calibrate the TV when your sources change between bluray, directv/cable, streaming, video game, etc. but it's all on the same source?

You don't.

But a proper Rec. 709 calibration is perfect for HD and close enough for most people on everything else.

If you must have a seperate Rec. 601 SD calibration you will have to use different inputs on the TV.
post #8023 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by schj98 View Post

I had a UN60D8000 previously which was actually good (after a panel replacement for screen uniformity issues) but wanted a larger screen size.

I considered a Panasonic VT30 but a lot of people seemed to have issues with it and the less than accurate color was enough to scare me away from it. I decided to get a Samsung PN64E8000 which had great picture but had a horrible buzzing sound coming from it so I tried one more which had less buzz but had several stuck pixels glowing bright red so I gave up on plasma and decided to try a UN65D8000 that I was able to get a great deal on hopefully it will be a good set I'll know Thursday.

The biggest thing that struck me between the UN60D8000 and the PN64E8000 was that the black level on the plasma was not a lot better.

Don't get me wrong it was better but not much. So in the end the buzzzzz, higher power consumption, and the constant potential for temporary image retention I think the LCD is a better choice for me at this time.

I think if you can get a D8000 with good screen uniformity they are a good choice especially after proper calibration.

I hope you get a good 65D8000. Im currently on my third 65" and am having terrible luck. I even have one that was manufactured last month with the newest GAO2 revision panel. I've had terrible screen uniformity and 3D that's been plagued with ghosting and crosstalk. I honestly didnt have any of these issues with the 60D8000, but like you, I wanted a bigger screen. Unfortunately, it came with much more than a higher price. I finally gave up and Samsung is now replacing it with the new 60ES8000. At this point, I'm willing to go back down in screen size if it means getting a better picture. I really hope this one is a keeper. Please let me know how it goes. Best of luck

post #8024 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

I hope you get a good 65D8000. Im currently on my third 65" and am having terrible luck. I even have one that was manufactured last month with the newest GAO2 revision panel. I've had terrible screen uniformity and 3D that's been plagued with ghosting and crosstalk. I honestly didnt have any of these issues with the 60D8000, but like you, I wanted a bigger screen. Unfortunately, it came with much more than a higher price. I finally gave up and Samsung is now replacing it with the new 60ES8000. At this point, I'm willing to go back down in screen size if it means getting a better picture. I really hope this one is a keeper. Please let me know how it goes. Best of luck

Thanks I am hoping for a good one.

How was the 2d performance on your last set?

I don't use 3d at all so at least I don't have that to worry about.
post #8025 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman193 View Post

You can check mine out at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21725205. The might seem a little bright as we watch in a not well lit room, but we both really like the picture. If you read my comments from the other links you will see that the other settings form MK and d8k were too dark, I couldn't distinguish dark purple from black with their settings, with mine I easy could.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8026 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks I am hoping for a good one.

How was the 2d performance on your last set?

I don't use 3d at all so at least I don't have that to worry about.

The 2D performance is outstanding in my opinion. I just had a hard time dealing with the screen uniformity. Its especially apparent when watching a movie with the black bars on top and bottom. Serious light bleed from the bottom left and right corners, along with a couple white clouds in the bottom middle of the screen. I honestly think it had just as deep blacks as the HX929 as long as you had good screen uniformity and didnt go off angle too much. Samsung has my business until something better comes along. I just hope they fix these issues.

post #8027 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy View Post

The 2D performance is outstanding in my opinion. I just had a hard time dealing with the screen uniformity. Its especially apparent when watching a movie with the black bars on top and bottom. Serious light bleed from the bottom left and right corners, along with a couple white clouds in the bottom middle of the screen. I honestly think it had just as deep blacks as the HX929 as long as you had good screen uniformity and didnt go off angle too much. Samsung has my business until something better comes along. I just hope they fix these issues.

It's disappointing to hear you still have light bleed and clouding on the newest panel revision.

Oh well maybe I'll get lucky.
post #8028 of 8445 Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's disappointing to hear you still have light bleed and clouding on the newest panel revision.

Oh well maybe I'll get lucky.

I thought for sure when I saw the manufacture date and panel type, I was in store for the best the D8000 had to offer. And, maybe I did. I'm afraid what I have is the best the 65" has to offer. I hope I'm wrong. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

post #8029 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:

You don't.

But a proper Rec. 709 calibration is perfect for HD and close enough for most people on everything else.

If you must have a seperate Rec. 601 SD calibration you will have to use different inputs on the TV.

i wouldn't say that, if the receiver is capable of ISF calibration, then yes you can.
post #8030 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM

Liked: 18
Does anyone know how to do a factory reset on this TV?
post #8031 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

Does anyone know how to do a factory reset on this TV?

Try turning on the tv and holding the reset button on the remote for 10 seconds. The tv should shut off on its own and when you turn it back on it will be reset.
post #8032 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

i wouldn't say that, if the receiver is capable of ISF calibration, then yes you can.

My receiver supports ISF calibration. Would I use it? No simply because the calibration controls on the receiver are inferior to those on the TV itself.

Now if you have a receiver with a proper CMS and good accuracy I would use it if I was in a situation where I needed it.
post #8033 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Try turning on the tv and holding the reset button on the remote for 10 seconds. The tv should shut off on its own and when you turn it back on it will be reset.

Where's the reset button on the remote?

Steven
post #8034 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM

Awesoem tread ty for all the info
post #8035 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

You can check mine out at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21725205. The might seem a little bright as we watch in a not well lit room, but we both really like the picture. If you read my comments from the other links you will see that the other settings form MK and d8k were too dark, I couldn't distinguish dark purple from black with their settings, with mine I easy could.

Thanks I will try your settings ! I really appreciate it !
post #8036 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elykoj View Post

2 questions, First, I have 2 HDMI input to the tv and they are cable and my blu ray. How do I change the name to say those instead of just saying hdmi3 or hdmi2 ? Also, when I turn on my bluray player while on the cable source it will auto shift to my bluray HDMI connection, but then when I turn off the bluray it just goes to my tv source which is all fuzz and I have to manually hit source to put it back to my cable HDMI ? Why won't it automatically go back to cable source? Do I need to delete the sources that I don't use?

how do i change the input names?
post #8037 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quick question. I recently connected my Onkyo Receiver directly to my D8000 via optical. When doing this, my Onkyo does not say Dolby Digital anymore, it just says direct or all channel stereo. I went into the sound settings on the tv and chose SPDIF Output and then Audio Format. PCM is selected. When I try to change over to Dolby Digital, its greyed out. Why is that?

post #8038 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM

What are peoples' thoughts on the ghosting? It seems a bit source dependent, but it doesn't make sense.
post #8039 of 8445 Old 04-10-2012, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevies3 View Post

Where's the reset button on the remote?

Ah I meant EXIT button. Was thinking about resetting and translated it over.
post #8040 of 8445 Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason626 View Post

Ah I meant EXIT button. Was thinking about resetting and translated it over.

yes, u have to hold the EXIT button for like 30 seconds, then it will ask you if u want to reset the tv, i just did it 2 days ago
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page