Forum Jump: 

post #8101 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx6bfast View Post

I have had a problem with my 55 for the past month. If you haven't read my posts here is the rundown:

Call #1: Called regarding dead pixels, was told by Geek Squad they would replace the screen. Tech came out, called Samsung, Samsung said not enough out. Samsung and GS tech went into service menu and changed something which royally screwed up the PQ. Even after I put in my previous settings the PQ was too dark. When I went to a 3D source the PQ was flat and I could see ghosting images.

Call #2: Same GS tech came out, called Samsung, noticed what I was seeing, a main board was ordered. Tech reset the settings to when they came from the factory before he left. HD looked better, 3D no change. The PQ seemed to eventually lighten up a little over a few days.

Call #3: Different GS tech came out along with a more advanced tech (I guess) and I showed him what was going on. He was there to replace the main board. He said D* isn't real 3D so I popped in Cars 2 3D and showed him the same ghosting there. Ghosting is more evident with D*. Advanced tech said the same thing, he can see it with D* more than the 3D player. First tech told me that I shouldn't concentrate on things that were in the background that they should be blurry. I didn't believe he was telling me that. When advanced tech changed inputs I asked if the flash lighting should be in the corners. He said no, changed the blacklight to a lower setting and it was still there. They called Samsung to replace the panel. Since the panel is being replaced also they are going to replace the main board at the same time. The PQ is now darker again and hasn't eventually lightened back up.

I got a call yesterday stating the panel to be replaced Tuesday is backordered and set a new appointment for Friday. Got a sneaky feeling I will be postponing that one too.

So with all that, my PQ used to be beautiful, admittedly maybe a little bright for others due to the limited light in the room during normal viewing. So good that I even posted my settings in my sig for others to try if they wanted them. I made minor changes to my 3D PQ settings and even those were popping and looked amazing. I spent weeks watching great HD and 3D. But now, since something was changed in the initial visit, the HD PQ is darker as well as a little flat. 3D has gone to crap, I can see what looks like more motion blocking than before. And this is watching shows that I recorded before the initial call and now, there is a noticeable difference. And with 3D, I previously didn't have to concentrate on one area/image on the screen, I could not focus on something in the middle of the tv and yet all the other parts would stand out. Now I have to focus on one thing, and then other parts of the screen have ghosting so I am constantly playing with my eyes. I have tried battery glasses as well as usb charge glasses and it is the same for both. It's so bad that if I focus on one thing on the screen, the outside edge of the actual tv is doubled like it has the ghosting effect. It's as if you are looking at something far away, and the monitor a foot or 2 close to you has 2 edges, then you have to focus on the monitor to get it to look as one. This was previously never the case. I could easily tell the edge of the TV screen as it looked sunken in before the initial tech changed something.

I sure hope that when they do decide to come out that they can fix all of these issues for me. I am to the point to where if it isn't fixed, I am going to fight for a replacement from Samsung/BB or return it to BB. I should not be dealing with this for a $2k+ TV.

Is there anyone else who is having these types of issues with this TV?

couple of ideas, is the any of the 3D u see this with SBS? i've noticed some of them i have to go into the menu and flip the L/R setting and that weird out of focus on the edges goes away. also, i find if the TV isn't set to 1:1 pixels this also causes 3D issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboys6190 View Post

I've never noticed this on my 60D8000.

I'll have to check the Disney opening and see if I see anything. I haven't noticed it in the past though. Almost scared to start looking for it because it will probably start annoying me too if I see any.

Take a look see....There's 1 line about a quarter down from the top of the bezel and 1 a quarter up from the bottom bezel. You can tell it's something behind the screen and the panning of the camera brings it out. I have no problem with left/right panning, just up and down. I hear ya though...Once you notice something, it NEVER goes away.
post #8103 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophetizer View Post

couple of ideas, is the any of the 3D u see this with SBS? i've noticed some of them i have to go into the menu and flip the L/R setting and that weird out of focus on the edges goes away. also, i find if the TV isn't set to 1:1 pixels this also causes 3D issues.

Same HR24 before and after the tech visit. I don't think have been any software updates since I haven't seen any messages when I turn the DVR on.

How do you set/change the 1:1 pixels?

I got a call from a GS mgr or something down here today, they have already setup a replacement. I went to BB today with my confirmation number to find out what I need to bring to swap and was told there is an additional step that BB needs to do and I should hear back in 2 - 3 days. Looks like I will be getting the ES8000.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #8104 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

You know what annoys me most about this TV and why I'm probably exchanging for a Plasma...It's the 2 lines I see that go horizontally from edge to edge whenever the camera pans up & down. It's obvious on any type of content I'm watching. It's obvious right in the beginning of all Disney BD's when they pan around the castle with the fireworks. I've seen it in Fast Five with all the camera panning in that movie. It drives me nuts! I don't even want to exchange it cause I know this is an issue with this tech. So many problems came into play once Samsung decided to be "cool", making their TV's paper thin. *roles eyes*
Other than that, I have no problems with this TV lol

I've watched Fast Five in the last couple of months at least twice & Disney is a household staple w/ a ten year old in the house and I've never seen any type of horizontal lines on my 55"
post #8105 of 8440 Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post

I've watched Fast Five in the last couple of months at least twice & Disney is a household staple w/ a ten year old in the house and I've never seen any type of horizontal lines on my 55"

I don't know how to explain it and I don't think it can be captured. Try something with flat colors or maybe a sky shot in a movie that does up and down panning. It's not visible all the time just on certain scenes.
post #8106 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 03:47 AM

So, it turned out my TV was just rejecting my connection because it wanted a REALLY REALLY strong signal. So, I put a wireless repeater in the next room. The only setting I had to manually override was the "gateway" (set to the repeater's IP address, not the original router). Finally got my SmartHub update and all that jazz. Now to play around more.
post #8107 of 8440 Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Does anyone have a blinking issue while streaming Nexflix? When streaming with an external source (WD Live) there is no blinking but when using the hub I get blinking. Its pretty annoying. Does anyone have a solution for this?

EDIT:

The Netflix 2.1 app released by Netflix included many changes. One
of the biggest changes was the addition of adaptive streaming.
Adaptive streaming will automatically adjust the picture quality of
the video content from HD to SD depending on the fluctuations in
your network speed. This is done without the movie needing to
re-buffer. However, these changes in video quality can produce a
momentary blank signal or a "Blink", this is normal. If you are
experiencing a lot of changes to the picture quality you should
contact your ISP and router company to troubleshoot the fluctuations
in your network speed.
post #8108 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 06:31 PM

New owner to the H303 55D8000 here. I am using some calibration settings from MKANET that I have found here in this thread at http://un55d8000.webs.com/index.htm.

While I think the picture looks great, especially on BD, I have noticed a weird "lag" when I am watching certain HDTV broadcasts over Dish Network. It's almost like some scenes are slow or lagged and are jittery. Hard to describe. Has anyone seen this issue, and do you have any ideas on how I can remedy it?

Thanks
post #8109 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

I don't know how to explain it and I don't think it can be captured. Try something with flat colors or maybe a sky shot in a movie that does up and down panning. It's not visible all the time just on certain scenes.

Very apparent during the immortals.... definitely inconsistent across content (thankfully), but distracting to those who notice these. My wife thinks I am nuts though as she doesn't see it. I learned to live with since my set is otherwise not impacted by any other issues.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #8110 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdmj View Post

New owner to the H303 55D8000 here. I am using some calibration settings from MKANET that I have found here in this thread at http://un55d8000.webs.com/index.htm.

While I think the picture looks great, especially on BD, I have noticed a weird "lag" when I am watching certain HDTV broadcasts over Dish Network. It's almost like some scenes are slow or lagged and are jittery. Hard to describe. Has anyone seen this issue, and do you have any ideas on how I can remedy it?

Thanks

Turn Auto Motion to Clear and LED motion off while watching cab/sat etc. I had the same issue with FiOS.
post #8111 of 8440 Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Very apparent during the immortals.... definitely inconsistent across content (thankfully), but distracting to those who notice these. My wife thinks I am nuts though as she doesn't see it. I learned to live with since my set is otherwise not impacted by any other issues.

I was watching a movie tonight(can't say) but let's say it wasn't the best quality. Anyways, I turned my brightness up for dark scenes which made blacks seem grey in spots and I saw one horizontal band the whole time. I can not wait to get rid of this TV! No offense.
post #8112 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was watching a movie tonight(can't say) but let's say it wasn't the best quality. Anyways, I turned my brightness up for dark scenes which made blacks seem grey in spots and I saw one horizontal band the whole time. I can not wait to get rid of this TV! No offense.

Haha well be sure not to blame the TV for bad source material :-) no matter what it will always be bad.

post #8113 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Haha well be sure not to blame the TV for bad source material :-) no matter what it will always be bad.

For what its worth I got my UN55D8000 last September after reading this owners page for several months and either I got the 1 in a million set which i doubt, or I'm way less critical than everyone else, which i know is not the case because i work in the industry i see 1000's of home setups from basic TV to dedicated theaters in multi million dollar homes each year. That being said I have found very little to complain about and nothing that would be considered a deal breaker for me. I think many are just looking for perfection from a imperfect technology.
post #8114 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:

i see them on mine and it agitates the hell out of me, but i have alot going on, and the extended warranty, so i'm just dealing with it for now and will get it taken care of when i feel like dealing with bad support
post #8115 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For what its worth I got my UN55D8000 last September after reading this owners page for several months and either I got the 1 in a million set which i doubt, or I'm way less critical than everyone else, which i know is not the case because i work in the industry i see 1000's of home setups from basic TV to dedicated theaters in multi million dollar homes each year. That being said I have found very little to complain about and nothing that would be considered a deal breaker for me. I think many are just looking for perfection from a imperfect technology.

I have the TV as well as my parents. Both sets have minimal issues, certainly nothing that would be a deal breaker either. We love the TV. Someday I will get a professional calibration and make it even better... Right now just my makeshift adjustments.

Anyone have comment on component input? Seems to have issues if source is not plugged direct and being passed through an AVR. Experienced this not only on my set with a Wii, but on my parents (different Denon AVR) with a karaoke player.

post #8116 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Turn Auto Motion to Clear and LED motion off while watching cab/sat etc. I had the same issue with FiOS.

Yep, see this all the time in the 2010 & 2011 Samsung TV's I've set up for friends, family and myself. It's why I only had my 55D8000 for a couple months before deciding I'd had enough of it. Have had a Sony 55HX929 since the middle of 2011, and plan to keep this thing for a very long time, I can't imagine anything better coming along at the 2k-3k price point. I still pop back in here from time to time, since it's my job to keep current with the models of TVs I support.
post #8117 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM

just go this tv. it's great, but my tv will not connect to the wireless network. I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, and will look through the threads...in the mean time, can anyone help.
post #8118 of 8440 Old 04-26-2012, 06:42 PM

update...

the wired connection works. However, I am unable to view any available wireless networks.

The TV searches for networks and finds none; however, i am able to connect other devices to my wireless router/modem.

i have aT&T uverse service and the wireless modem and router are one in the same.

any help would be most appreciated!
post #8119 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixhex03 View Post

update...

the wired connection works. However, I am unable to view any available wireless networks.

The TV searches for networks and finds none; however, i am able to connect other devices to my wireless router/modem.

i have aT&T uverse service and the wireless modem and router are one in the same.

any help would be most appreciated!

From what i've read on this forum the tv likes a real strong signal. Mine is sitting about 6 ft from the router so i dont have any issues. I would first try changing the orientation of the antena on my router to see if you can get a better signal. Remeber that WiFi signal travels in an umbrella shaped signal with a dead spot directly above the antena, also look for any sources of interference mainly 2.4 GHZ wireless sources. Changing broadcast channel on router may help. If these dont work you'll have to look at buying a wireless range expander or ethernet over power adapter.
good luck,
post #8120 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 AM

Thanks. I will try that. I had also heard that it likes a strong signal. I tried moving my router a little closer and it didn't seem to work but I will try again. I know how to login jnto my router but not how to change the broadcast channel, but I'm sure I can find out somewhere.

I was somewhat concerned that I got a lemon because the tv just sat there when it was looking for a network. It didn't give me a message or an additional screen to configure the setup manually. It just returned to the wireless setup screen.

The manual makes it seem like I can configure the wireless setup manually, but all I have the ability to do is configure the wired connection manually.

Not sure if this is normal.

Ofcourse AT&T and Samsung customer support have been no help.
post #8121 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 AM

My router is sitting about 25 feet away in my garage so it has quite a bit of wall to pass through and it picks up the signal fine. It even picks up 5-6 of my neighbors signal. The only issue I have is the tv constantly ask for the wifi password. I have since ran a cable since I stream very large files from my NAS drive.
post #8122 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 10:33 AM

That makes me think that either my wireless adapter is not working. Or that I have something configured wrong within my router.

Hoping it's the latter.
post #8123 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

I found this review on the samsung website for a different TV using a link stink adapter; however, the review is quite telling as maybe my router security is set too high. I likely have the exact same modem/router of the reviewer. It still just strikes me as weird that the TV isn't recognizing any nearby networks or allowing me to input any wireless network information manually.

"I run a wireless network using my 2Wire DSL modem/wireless router from AT&T. I've never had any problems with any wireless devices, but using this stick with either my new Samsung C5900 Blu-Ray player or my new Samsung 8000 series LED 3D TV is just painful. The reason is mostly that I like to run a WPA-TKIP encrypted wireless network, which is apparently asking too much from Samsung's equipment. I can get a stable connection if I turn my encryption off, but I refuse to run my network that way. If I bump my encryption down to WEP then I can get better results, but still not good enough to keep a connection. The TV is more robust at this than the Blu-Ray player, so the fault may all lie in those products and not the wireless stick, but since this is the only way Samsung wants you to operate their equipment on wireless, I have no other way to test that theory."

apologies for the multiple posts. just thought this was interesting, even more so because Samsung claims the TV will support WPA-TKIP encryption, unless it is a 802.11n standard router/modem. I believe my router/modem is 802.11b/g.
post #8124 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixhex03 View Post

I found this review on the samsung website for a different TV using a link stink adapter; however, the review is quite telling as maybe my router security is set too high. I likely have the exact same modem/router of the reviewer. It still just strikes me as weird that the TV isn't recognizing any nearby networks or allowing me to input any wireless network information manually.

"I run a wireless network using my 2Wire DSL modem/wireless router from AT&T. I've never had any problems with any wireless devices, but using this stick with either my new Samsung C5900 Blu-Ray player or my new Samsung 8000 series LED 3D TV is just painful. The reason is mostly that I like to run a WPA-TKIP encrypted wireless network, which is apparently asking too much from Samsung's equipment. I can get a stable connection if I turn my encryption off, but I refuse to run my network that way. If I bump my encryption down to WEP then I can get better results, but still not good enough to keep a connection. The TV is more robust at this than the Blu-Ray player, so the fault may all lie in those products and not the wireless stick, but since this is the only way Samsung wants you to operate their equipment on wireless, I have no other way to test that theory."

apologies for the multiple posts. just thought this was interesting, even more so because Samsung claims the TV will support WPA-TKIP encryption, unless it is a 802.11n standard router/modem. I believe my router/modem is 802.11b/g.

I use wpa2 psk for my security on a 801.11 n router/modem ( gateway ) with no problems it never has asked me for the password again either.
Dave,
post #8125 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

I use wpa2 psk for my security on a 801.11 n router/modem ( gateway ) with no problems it never has asked me for the password again either.
Dave,

I'm not at home but I use either WPA2 or TKIP, not the mixed one.

HEY, you viewing dumbasses!

NOW!
NEW!
ALL NEW!

(insert name of show here)
NEXT!
8/9 PM ET
TUESDAY!
NEXT WEEK!
IN 2 WEEKS!

My Samsung 55" D8000 LED-3D tv settings.
post #8126 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM

thanks for the insight everyone. I won't be back in front of my TV until Sunday, but will advise of the results.
post #8127 of 8440 Old 04-27-2012, 09:45 PM

For all that don't like too warm settings I made this. The change to green and yellow made a big diference for all colors.

--Picture menu
Mode: Normal
Backlight: 12
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 20
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu:
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Medium
Gamma: 0
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: Off [Grayed out]
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
xvYCC: Off
LED Motion Plus: off

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 0
Green: Red 35, Green 50, Blue 0
Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 80, Green 40, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 50, Green 0, Blue 50

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 23
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 24
R-Gain: 10
G-Gain: 20
B-Gain: 15

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Standard
Digital Noise Filter: Auto
MPEG Noise Filter: Auto
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Auto motion plus: Clear
Smart LED: Standard
Cinema Black: On
post #8128 of 8440 Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that the 2D to 3D scaling is very legitimate and a much better alternative to 3D? I find the 2D->3D works very well to create depth without distortion or hyper realism or puppetry like in true 3D footage.
post #8129 of 8440 Old 05-01-2012, 09:50 AM

I own the 60D8000 set and have noticed when I switch from 3D mode back to Cable, it messes with my picture settings. Does this happen to anyone else??
post #8130 of 8440 Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 PM

This sounds quiet plausible because I have seen the message on my TV when I started using the (non-Samsung) Remote Control Windoze Application. I guess you can turn off one bug by disabling the 'Remote Control/Access' option in one of the Menu's.

https://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/r...ung-tvs-042412

I don't know which is more troubling the bug(s) or that
Quote:
Auriemma claims there is no fix for these bugs because he was unable to report the bugs to Samsung. He has also received no word from Samsung. He claims that Samsung doesn't even have a channel through which to report these types of bugs.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page