Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
By the way, the cables don't include standard component and composite cables. Instead there are two converstion cables. One has the typical red, white, yellow for component on one side, and a single metal pin on the other that plugs into the back of the TV. The other (did you guess it), has 5 cables on one side (red and white audio in a pair, and b/r/g component on the other. The other side of this cable converter has a double pin config that plugs into the back of the TV, presumably so you can hook up both a component video and RCA (l/r) audio at the same time.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 02:42 PM

can you post a side profile shot with the cables attached?

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
post #63 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 02:46 PM

those dont look like bluetooth glasses.
post #64 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:11 PM

That's what I was gonna say, those glasses are confusing me. The ones pictured in the box that he has to mail the voucher for are the highly praised super comfortable ones from CES, with the weight distributed evenly around the head, but these standalones he bought have the old, uncomfortable, uneven look, yet he says they're bluetooth too? Did samsung release bluetooth glasses in 2010? Or why would they release this inferior version in 2011 alongside the improved ones?
post #65 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM

some web sites are saying touch screen remote others are saying qwerty.
the c9000 has that nice led touch screen remote. so which one is it /
post #66 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Nothing that I can find specifically states that the glasses are Blue Ray (or that they are IR). The only thing evidencing BR is that the 3D Starter kit and 2 boxes of 1 pair each all have the same disclaimer that they're only for use with 2011 models D6500 and up.

Clouding/Flashlight effect:

I've seen none so far. I keep changing channels to find some, but so far no luck. I've got cops on now (don't judge me!) and even when it's night time (black in btw 2 and 4 corners), I don't see clouding. I'll keep looking. It just can't be that good.

Can anyone help me figure out why I don't have the touchscreen remote? (other then they didnt send it to me).

Jonathan
post #67 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

Can anyone help me figure out why I don't have the touchscreen remote? (other then they didn't send it to me).

yes, I remember watching a interview with one of samsungs rep, and he said that at the last min. samsung decided to sell the touch remote then give it away for free. I guess to keep the price down on these TVs.
post #68 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:45 PM

The remote remains IR?
post #69 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 05:15 PM

Anymore results from lag tests?
post #70 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Two hours of Black Ops, including Zombies and still no lag. Interestingly, I have not yet tried game mode. I need to try a faster motion game tomorrow night.

I have seen minimal judder, but it seems random...definately more in commercials. As I've been trying various combinations, I can easily create the soap opera look. It seemed like it's from a combination of the mode (normal, natural or movie), motion correction on (clear) and one or two other things on normal.

I've tried to find the uneven or non-uniform light in the corners, call it clouding or the flash light effect. I may be "looking" for it now. It's possible I saw a little during the rolling credits of cops (the show had lots of night scenes, and the credits were white on a black background). So far, it's certainly not enough to bother me. I found some decent pics of the effect to make sure I wasn't missing something. Again, I need more time with the TV, but nothing smacks clouding so far.

The white and black levels look great to me. If I had to criticize, it would be the soap opera effect, but I think it's only when settings are over-correcting.

I have to say, it's my fault, but I'm bumbed about the remote. I wonder if contacting Samsung will have any impact (prob not).

FWIW, I like the glasses. They're very light.

Also, the bezel does not seem at all to be reflective - maybe bc it's hardly there to being with.

I have fairly bright lights on 15' from the TV, and will check for reflections as well, since the panel claims to "absorb" some ambient light.

I'll post more pics either later today or tomorrow.

Jonathan
post #71 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Dude View Post

The remote remains IR?

I thought only the glasses were supposed to be blue tooth?

Jonathan
post #72 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Watching The Social Network. Wow. Great black lvls for sure. Great detail in dark scenes. Crystal clear (liquid crystal of course). Blows away my Sharp Aquos (as expected).

Jonathan
post #73 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM

Can you comment on the off-angle viewing?
post #74 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM

How's the web browser smooth like a PC or very choppy and slow kinda like a PS3 browser?
post #75 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM

Wonder if it supports flash?
post #76 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Two hours of Black Ops, including Zombies and still no lag. Interestingly, I have not yet tried game mode. I need to try a faster motion game tomorrow night.

I have seen minimal judder, but it seems random...definately more in commercials. As I've been trying various combinations, I can easily create the soap opera look. It seemed like it's from a combination of the mode (normal, natural or movie), motion correction on (clear) and one or two other things on normal.

I've tried to find the uneven or non-uniform light in the corners, call it clouding or the flash light effect. I may be "looking" for it now. It's possible I saw a little during the rolling credits of cops (the show had lots of night scenes, and the credits were white on a black background). So far, it's certainly not enough to bother me. I found some decent pics of the effect to make sure I wasn't missing something. Again, I need more time with the TV, but nothing smacks clouding so far.

The white and black levels look great to me. If I had to criticize, it would be the soap opera effect, but I think it's only when settings are over-correcting.

I have to say, it's my fault, but I'm bumbed about the remote. I wonder if contacting Samsung will have any impact (prob not).

FWIW, I like the glasses. They're very light.

Also, the bezel does not seem at all to be reflective - maybe bc it's hardly there to being with.

I have fairly bright lights on 15' from the TV, and will check for reflections as well, since the panel claims to "absorb" some ambient light.

I'll post more pics either later today or tomorrow.

Thanks for your excellent reporting, many of us greatly enjoy reading others experiences with the new sets as they rollout.
post #77 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Liked: 11
I just also wanted to chime in and say thanks for all of your hard work!
post #78 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First, thanks to everyone for the appreciation.

Off axis viewing is better than expected. The angle from my kitchen to the TV is about 35-45 degrees. I could easily watch the D8000 from that angle. I don't have a light meter, but I thought any loss in brightness or clarity is minimal.

I've not tried the web browser yet. I'll give it a go tomorrow. There are so many choices, and some require a membership. I'll also have to create an ID, to get to Facebook, to see how that works.

So far, no clouding whatsoever during the Social Network. The picture in 2D has a depth that defies 2D.

Jonathan
post #79 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
D8000 and its black is really good. But, When I tried gray color pattern with D8000, I found clouding from the edge and upper side. With other colors, I couldn't find such problems.
Do you see similar symptoms, nahtanoj?

For the reflections, I could see there's still some but no so severe when it's turned off.
post #80 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The smart hub or Web browser takes 10s or so to switch from the HDTV channel when first launched thus you can't navigate the smart hub as soon as turning it up (it displays starting' message for a few seconds until it's ready).
The navigation thru the web is not that comfortable even the IR remote supports mouse mode with 4 directional key. It's not as comfortable as LG's magic remote. That's why touch screen remote is required here.
The web browser support zoom-in with pre-defined zoom level, btw.
post #81 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I'll work on that. For now, there are 2 available patterns under the Advanced Settings menu, Expert 1 and 2. 1 is a black and white screen (not a checkerboard) and one B&W. More pics coming.

Expert 1 and 2 are under advanced settings having nothing to do with 3D. Checkerboard mode is under 3D, and you must navigate as I explained in my post, you cannot start with the 3D button on the remote.
post #82 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 AM

Can i use a vesa tv mount with the d8000 series?
post #83 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 01:44 AM

I went to BB Magnolia and saw the 55D7000, similar accept the local dimming is different. These are the nicest looking LED sets I have seen, the quality of the way the edges are put together are amazing. I would even go as far as to say the D7000 is nicer then any 2010 set Samsung made, the black bars looked very black with no flash lighting.
post #84 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:

Watching The Social Network. Wow. Great black lvls for sure. Great detail in dark scenes. Crystal clear (liquid crystal of course). Blows away my Sharp Aquos (as expected).

Don't mind me asking, did you watching the movie in complete darkness and therefore using low brightness & contrast settings to simulate the cinema environment?

Did you notice any 'floating blacks' or scenes where the backlight would dim in proportion to the scene? The 2010 Samsungs had this problem and in some dark scenes, they would dim to the extent that the picture would end up too dim to see some features.

Appreciated!
post #85 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoop View Post

those dont look like bluetooth glasses.

They are bluetooth but retain the 2010 design. They're slightly more curved, I think. I'm assuming like in 2010, you get the battery ones in the starter kit, and the nice rechargeable, redesigned ones we saw at CES will be available later.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #86 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpmurr View Post

nahtanoj,

A couple of things. First thanks for taking the time to take pictures and answer our questions about the TV. I have two for you.

1) Do you own Rockband 2 or 3 and the guitar to get a lag read out from the TV in normal and game modes?

2) Can you tell me if you can select the Warm color mode in Game mode?

Thanks!

I do own Rock Band, but I don't play often and have to see which one. I may not have time for a few days though, as during the week I've got kid sports duty.

Jonathan
post #87 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

D8000 and its black is really good. But, When I tried gray color pattern with D8000, I found clouding from the edge and upper side. With other colors, I couldn't find such problems.
Do you see similar symptoms, nahtanoj?

For the reflections, I could see there's still some but no so severe when it's turned off.

If you have bright enough light in the background (I have two florescent lamps), and the TV is on, you can see a reflection. In my set-up, the reflecting lamp is perpendicular to the TV. When the TV is off, it's fine.

When you say gray color pattern, do you mean the "expert" pattern with the black and gray? If not, I missed another pattern somewhere!

Jonathan
post #88 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

The smart hub or Web browser takes 10s or so to switch from the HDTV channel when first launched thus you can't navigate the smart hub as soon as turning it up (it displays starting' message for a few seconds until it's ready).
The navigation thru the web is not that comfortable even the IR remote supports mouse mode with 4 directional key. It's not as comfortable as LG's magic remote. That's why touch screen remote is required here.
The web browser support zoom-in with pre-defined zoom level, btw.

But the free QWERTY you're entitled to with the voucher will help tremendously.

Jonathan
post #89 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldensunbluesky View Post

Don't mind me asking, did you watching the movie in complete darkness and therefore using low brightness & contrast settings to simulate the cinema environment?

Did you notice any 'floating blacks' or scenes where the backlight would dim in proportion to the scene? The 2010 Samsungs had this problem and in some dark scenes, they would dim to the extent that the picture would end up too dim to see some features.

Appreciated!

I started watching with several lights on, and slowly turned them off one at a time. I had to turn off one lamp for a bad reflection. I eventually had on few lights. In one of the modes (i.e., Dynamic, Standard, Natural, Movie), the detail in very dark scenes wasn't as sharp as it should have been. I wish I could remember which mode - but I think it was Standard. When I switched to Movie and went back and forth btw movie and natural, you could see more detail in the dark scenes. I did not lower the contrast, however, which was out of the box 100. I think I was caught up in how good the picture looked.

A word about audio. While the speakers are very good for a TV IMHO, I found the dialogue in The Social Network, when the main guy talks, it's hard to hear. In the audio settings, there is a voice/dialogue enhancer, but it mutes the background noises. I went back and forth, but didn't chose Amplify or the voice enhancer (I think it's standard or normal - not at home now), but boosted the voice frequencies in the equalizer, and that made it much better.

This TV has so many possible combinations, I'll be messing with it for the next month. Hopefully, someone better then me at this will get a D8000 and post settings. I can try, but I doubt I'll get within 30% of D65 by eye.

Jonathan
post #90 of 8440 Old 03-07-2011, 05:47 AM

Did you already watch sports? How does the CMR work?

And please feel free to post some more pics
thx for your work
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page