post #91 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

I started watching with several lights on, and slowly turned them off one at a time. I had to turn off one lamp for a bad reflection. I eventually had on few lights. In one of the modes (i.e., Dynamic, Standard, Natural, Movie), the detail in very dark scenes wasn't as sharp as it should have been. I wish I could remember which mode - but I think it was Standard. When I switched to Movie and went back and forth btw movie and natural, you could see more detail in the dark scenes. I did not lower the contrast, however, which was out of the box 100. I think I was caught up in how good the picture looked.

A word about audio. While the speakers are very good for a TV IMHO, I found the dialogue in The Social Network, when the main guy talks, it's hard to hear. In the audio settings, there is a voice/dialogue enhancer, but it mutes the background noises. I went back and forth, but didn't chose Amplify or the voice enhancer (I think it's standard or normal - not at home now), but boosted the voice frequencies in the equalizer, and that made it much better.

This TV has so many possible combinations, I'll be messing with it for the next month. Hopefully, someone better then me at this will get a D8000 and post settings. I can try, but I doubt I'll get within 30% of D65 by eye.

We do appreciate all of your great work on reviewing this apparently very fine TV. Perhaps you should think about re-titling your thread to be the Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread so all of this valuable information won't be lost in the shuffle when others start to buy this model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

If you have bright enough light in the background (I have two florescent lamps), and the TV is on, you can see a reflection. In my set-up, the reflecting lamp is perpendicular to the TV. When the TV is off, it's fine.

When you say gray color pattern, do you mean the "expert" pattern with the black and gray? If not, I missed another pattern somewhere!

I used some testing patterns not the one included in TV. You can try some gray background images with different gray levels using PC input.
post #93 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:

But the free QWERTY you're entitled to with the voucher will help tremendously.

Unfortunately in Korea, qwerty remote is not included nor the voucher. Instead, we get Galaxy tab wifi when it's released here.
post #94 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Adding two more pics.

The black one is more expensive and lighter. White one is heavier than black one.
Both two glasses are bundled in D8000 and I bought one more.
LL
LL
post #95 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I only watched a bit of sports yesterday, trying to get a sense of different types of programming and movies. For maybe 30 minutes, I watched some of an NHL game, and then some of an NBA game. I wasn't even paying attention to who was playing. Instead, I was looking at the colors and motion.

I have to do more of this in the next coming days. Again I thought that Dynamic was very over-saturated. If anyone likes a bit of the over-saturated look (most on these boards don't, but enough do that it seems to help sell TVs), I'd still not suggest Dynamic. Standard is over-saturated enough. As you'd expect, after watching on Natural mode for a while, Standard looked even more over-saturated. That said, I still waivered btw Natural and Std for sports. Neither of these (to my untrained eyes) are accurate, and I'm going to have to run the calibration DVD to get there.

As far as motion, I'm less sure. I tried off and clear more than the others. Maybe while hockey and BB are movement sports, neither move fast enough to challenge the refresh rate. I saw some judder in commercials and in a ramdom show - repo something or other. I need an hour to watch another game and go back and forth btw the motion modes before I can really say too much. For now, it didn't seem like night and day, but it's too soon for me to tell.

Jonathan
post #96 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I do own Rock Band, but I don't play often and have to see which one. I may not have time for a few days though, as during the week I've got kid sports duty.

Thanks for taking a look. It's an easy way to get some numbers around the input lag. I'm on a quest to find one of these sets this week.

Edit: If you do get a chance to test this week make sure all the motion processing is off since you probably wouldn't want to have that on playing a game.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #97 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

I used some testing patterns not the one included in TV. You can try some gray background images with different gray levels using PC input.

I'm glad they weren't included. There are a lot of options on this TV, and in some modes (auto in particular) more flexible choices are grayed out (as in the motion effect, where you can customize judder and the other one - I think it's blur?).

Jonathan
post #98 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Adding two more pics.

The black one is more expensive and lighter. White one is heavier than black one.
Both two glasses are bundled in D8000 and I bought one more.

Huh. Mine certainly don't look like those funky black ones. I wonder if those are the next gen people referred to eariler. Are your glasses bluetooth or IR? In order to work, the white pair would have to be the same as the others. I think mine are the same or substantially similar to the white ones.

I wonder if Samsung produced the glasses that I have in bluetooth, and then re-tooled their manufacturing to make the black ones you have. That might explain why there are two different stlyes - both bluetooth (if yours are BT).

Jonathan
post #99 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Huh. Mine certainly don't look like those funky black ones. I wonder if those are the next gen people referred to eariler. Are your glasses bluetooth or IR? In order to work, the white pair would have to be the same as the others. I think mine are the same or substantially similar to the white ones.

I wonder if Samsung produced the glasses that I have in bluetooth, and then re-tooled their manufacturing to make the black ones you have. That might explain why there are two different stlyes - both bluetooth (if yours are BT).

They're all BT. IR glass simply doesn't work with D8000.

Take a look at this. If you click and enlarge the pic, you'll find a few glass types for 2011 TV.

http://img513.imageshack.us/i/p1020181c.jpg/

Mine is 3700 and 3300. And yours is?
post #100 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:23 AM

Im really curious how input lag will be on this years Samsung LED-LCD's. I tried 2 of last years models and they both went back because of input lag.

You said you were playing games with the auto motion on Clear. I can 100% guarantee you there is a massive amount of lag in that setting. Auto motion plus adds alot of lag and should always be off when gaming. I feel like 90% of people dont understand what lag in a tv is. It has nothing to with with how the picture looks. It is a delay in your inputs. Say if you press "a" it wont happen instantly on the screen because the TV is taking extra time to process the image. So there is "lag" in what your doing on your controller. This is can make you terrible at high reflex games like first person shooters and rhythm games. I think some people are just oblivious to the lag and just think they suck at the game. But in reality this lag can really influence how you play.
post #101 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury View Post

Im really curious how input lag will be on this years Samsung LED-LCD's. I tried 2 of last years models and they both went back because of input lag.

You said you were playing games with the auto motion on Clear. I can 100% guarantee you there is a massive amount of lag in that setting. Auto motion plus adds alot of lag and should always be off when gaming. I feel like 90% of people dont understand what lag in a tv is. It has nothing to with with how the picture looks. It is a delay in your inputs. Say if you press "a" it wont happen instantly on the screen because the TV is taking extra time to process the image. So there is "lag" in what your doing on your controller. This is can make you terrible at high reflex games like first person shooters and rhythm games. I think some people are just oblivious to the lag and just think they suck at the game. But in reality this lag can really influence how you play.

I'm very curious as well. this is the year I will upgrade from my current Samsung 50" HL-R5067 DLP. (which has minimal lag). Friends have come over and complained that COD: Black Ops is "too sensitive" on my tv because I am assuming they are used to input lag on the lcd tv.
post #102 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Some people want to watch a great TV more than play games, so having the least amount of lag at all costs isn't as important to them.
post #103 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 AM

And some people are just not hardcore gamer freaks. I'm one of them. I've never ever felt a input lag.
post #104 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Some people want to watch a great TV more than play games, so having the least amount of lag at all costs isn't as important to them.

This is true but the gaming industry is huge and some say its bigger then the movie industry. Its very disappointing to see these big TV companies overlooking input lag and making TVs mediocre in this area. Its like they just think the consumers are stupid and wont notice it. For the price they ask for these TVs I think we should be able to play games on them and not have to deal with input lag thats more then 30 ms. I also feel like the gaming industry has helped these TVs sell and encourage people to upgrade to an HD tv. I mean I had an HD gaming console 5 years before I had HD cable. If it were not for my 360 I would probably still be using my old tube tv. I love everything about Samsung TVs but the lag is just not worth the price to me because I play games more then I watch TV or movie's. I wish we could get the best of both worlds and im sure it not impossible.

Im hoping this years TVs will be better but highly doubt it.
post #105 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Hiya ppl I the got the tv today in UK but I did not get the touch screen remote with it and the Bluetooth 3d glasses? Do u think that's optional?
post #106 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

For 2011 there are 4 models of 3D glasses, see Samsung 3D Active Glasses 2011
post #107 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

I only watched a bit of sports yesterday, trying to get a sense of different types of programming and movies. For maybe 30 minutes, I watched some of an NHL game, and then some of an NBA game. I wasn't even paying attention to who was playing. Instead, I was looking at the colors and motion.

I have to do more of this in the next coming days. Again I thought that Dynamic was very over-saturated. If anyone likes a bit of the over-saturated look (most on these boards don't, but enough do that it seems to help sell TVs), I'd still not suggest Dynamic. Standard is over-saturated enough. As you'd expect, after watching on Natural mode for a while, Standard looked even more over-saturated. That said, I still waivered btw Natural and Std for sports. Neither of these (to my untrained eyes) are accurate, and I'm going to have to run the calibration DVD to get there.

As far as motion, I'm less sure. I tried off and clear more than the others. Maybe while hockey and BB are movement sports, neither move fast enough to challenge the refresh rate. I saw some judder in commercials and in a ramdom show - repo something or other. I need an hour to watch another game and go back and forth btw the motion modes before I can really say too much. For now, it didn't seem like night and day, but it's too soon for me to tell.

I would be careful discussing motion blur tied to frame rate, and judder which is tied to motion smoothing. Samsung may call their motion smoothing AMP. Again, it is motion smoothing which causes judder and the Soap Opera Effect, not the frame rate.
post #108 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 09:34 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

D8000 and its black is really good. But, When I tried gray color pattern with D8000, I found clouding from the edge and upper side. With other colors, I couldn't find such problems.
Do you see similar symptoms, nahtanoj?

For the reflections, I could see there's still some but no so severe when it's turned off.

Is that something you'd notice in regular viewing, or is it only visible on the test pattern?
post #109 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romit2001 View Post

Hiya ppl I the got the tv today in UK but I did not get the touch screen remote with it and the Bluetooth 3d glasses? Do u think that's optional?

Hi mate did you not get a voucher for the glasses?
I was looking at getting the UE46D8000 but rang a company today that advertise it with touchscreen remote and they said doesn't come with it,i thought fine so i asked if they are changing the price to reflect this because i will have to buy it seperately but they said no.
Why should i pay a price for something that is not included?

Anyway rant over how is the tv Romit?
post #110 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post

Is that something you'd notice in regular viewing, or is it only visible on the test pattern?

I saw the 55D7000 and noticed no clouding in regular viewing with very dark black border when viewing letterbox sources.
post #111 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky chappie View Post

For 2011 there are 4 models of 3D glasses, see Samsung 3D Active Glasses 2011

Out of these 4, which are the ones that are supposed to come included in the D8000 box and which are the ones that come in the Shrek 3D promo pack?

Do the vouchers allow you the same glasses as what is supposed to come initially with the tv?

For the 2 owners of the D8000, is the difference in your glasses due to one set being in the tv box and other ones inside the Promo pack box?

So, does buying the D8000 allow you to get 4 pairs of glasses? Meaning 2 in the box and 2 in the 3D starter promo pack?

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #112 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury View Post

I understand your concern, and while I'm not a regular player anymore, I've been a gamer since the days of Adventure on a mainframe. I've owned everything from the first Atari, Intellivision, Nintendos, Sega, etc., through today. I have 2 Xbox 360s and a PS3. I tend to play first person shooters and coop shooters that don't work well with any noticeable lag. While I don't play much now, my son plays too much, but enough to notice lag. I don't know whether the complexity of the graphics redrawing in a game adds to lag, or if it's 100% of the TV's job.

If there was a noticeable difference btw the time I input a command to the Xbox and then on to the LCD panel until the time it was processed by the panel, I would have noticed it. I played a bit of Black Ops last night - both Zombies and team deathmatch. In team deathmatch, IMO, almost any lag would be noticeable. This is especially true with "one in the chamber," in which a split second can make the difference. That said, I played some on auto motion off and some on clear. The only time I had motion lag was when I accidently turned the TV off with the BD remote, and then back on.

It seems like there was input lag for about 15 seconds that dissapeared. I've no idea if it was the processing, the initial screen redraw, the inet connection or something else. I'm not saying you're wrong or I'm right, but that so far, I've seen no lag. That's why I asked whether the graphics demand of a game could cause additional lag.

My son played Black Ops for another hour online - on clear - again, no motion lag. Believe me, if he couldn't move instantly when trying, shoot exactly when he wanted, etc., he would have told me and complained.

I will try to test it again tonight to see if I can force lag by moving up one setting at a time, which I think will take the TV a few more miliseconds to process the data, thereby causing a bit more lag. It'll also help confirm my first impressions. I don't think I said in my eariler posts that I noticed lag. I did notice some judder, in particular during one or two commercials, and once in a repo man type show, but I changed a lot yesterday - I need to go back and do it more scientifically now. I certainly don't want to be wrong and have people to rely on me. People should certain not rely on me to make a buying decision as I'm not an expert.

Maybe I'll also try Borderlands and Rainbow Six Vegas and Army of Two just to see.

Jonathan
post #113 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPMERIDIAN View Post

I saw the 55D7000 and noticed no clouding in regular viewing with very dark black border when viewing letterbox sources.

I don't have a gray pattern, but in watching Shrek 3D, The Social Network, Cops, Hockey, NBA, a bit of Troy and other things, I didn't see any clouding/flashlighting, uneven lighting in grays or blacks. It would be great if onoy a gray pattern causes it to be noticeable.

Jonathan
post #114 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreams View Post

Out of these 4, which are the ones that are supposed to come included in the D8000 box and which are the ones that come in the Shrek 3D promo pack?

Do the vouchers allow you the same glasses as what is supposed to come initially with the tv?

For the 2 owners of the D8000, is the difference in your glasses due to one set being in the tv box and other ones inside the Promo pack box?

So, does buying the D8000 allow you to get 4 pairs of glasses? Meaning 2 in the box and 2 in the 3D starter promo pack?

My D8000 did NOT come with glasses. It came with a voucher for 2 pair. I bought the 3D starter kit that came with 2 pair, 3 shrek 3D movies and a voucer for the final shrek movie and Megamind 3D.I also bought 2 individual pairs not knowing what was in the box. I'll return the two single packs now that I'm getting 2 with the voucher.

FWIW, I don't think the diff is how the glasses get to you. If freebits is in Korea, and bought his TV there, it may be a regional difference. Maybe they're all manufactured in China, and the newest designs go to Asia first. I'm just guessing. The picture on the voucher looks identical to the glasses that I have.

Jonathan
post #115 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

I would be careful discussing motion blur tied to frame rate, and judder which is tied to motion smoothing. Samsung may call their motion smoothing AMP. Again, it is motion smoothing which causes judder and the Soap Opera Effect, not the frame rate.

Right - in a couple of scenes where there was movement, it wasn't smooth, so I called it judder. I tried the options in order from no smoothing to the most smoothing (sorry, forgot the name), and as you'd expect, the soap opera effect got worse. I'm still not 100% sure whether the choppy, non-smooth motion is caused by frame rate or judder. I recall that the options on the D8000 control both blur and judder in some unknown percent (e.g., off is 0/0, Clear is 240Hz/20%, etc.). I'm making the numbers up just to explain that it seems to be a 2 in 1 setting, unless you pick custom, in which you can control them independently.

Jonathan
post #116 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hopefully, my editing the title worked and more owners can add to the information.

Jonathan
post #117 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Hopefully, my editing the title worked and more owners can add to the information.

It still seems like the thread is just for your impressions, delete the apostrophe.

And thanks again for the great job with the info.
post #118 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I was able to locate a 55D7000 and 55D8000 today. The store only had the 55D6000 on display. The D6000 had noticeable flashlights in the bottom two corners. I'm going to give the 55D8000 a spin and as people on here know I'm pretty damn picky. Hopefully this set won't disappoint.

55HX950 l SC-1522-K l SP-PK51FS l RW12-D l XBox 360 Slim l PS3 60GB l RNG200 l P31 LIVE:BPMURR PSN:BPMURR

post #119 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronos Myth View Post

It still seems like the thread is just for your impressions, delete the apostrophe.

Actually, since you brought it up and since I'm a bit obsessive compulsive about grammar as many on this Forum will attest, having an apostrophe before the "s" does indicate that the thread is for just the original poster. Having an apostrophe following the "s" would indicate that the thread is for all owners of a UNXXD8000. Or, just delete "owner's or owners'" entirely since many people weighing in on the discussion certainly aren't owners, but probably just envious of those who are.

And, he is doing a great job! There can be no negative discussion on that at all.
post #120 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronos Myth View Post

Good catch. I meant owners'.

Jonathan
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page