post #121 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Actually, since you brought it up and since I'm a bit obsessive compulsive about grammar as many on this Forum will attest, having an apostrophe before the "s" does indicate that the thread is for just the original poster. Having an apostrophe following the "s" would indicate that the thread is for all owners of a UNXXD8000. Or, just delete "owner's or owners'" entirely since many people weighing in on the discussion certainly aren't owners, but probably just envious of those who are.

And, he is doing a great job! There can be no negative discussion on that at all.

Thanks to both of you (y'all and yous guys). I fixed the title.

Hopefully tonight, I can focus on lag and perhaps, separately, motion blur. I've not seen lag, but will try 2 or 3 games and each setting. Someone earlier said that with clear on, there's a 100% chance of lag. Hopefully, I'll feel more certain of my opinion then. I'm not sure how anyone can be so certain, unless the chipset, algorithms, etc., are identical. I thought (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Samsung did change enough hardware to improve lag. I'm not 100% sure there isn't any, but I'll push it more today.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

Thanks to both of you (y'all and yous guys). I fixed the title.

Hopefully tonight, I can focus on lag and perhaps, separately, motion blur. I've not seen lag, but will try 2 or 3 games and each setting. Someone earlier said that with clear on, there's a 100% chance of lag. Hopefully, I'll feel more certain of my opinion then. I'm not sure how anyone can be so certain, unless the chipset, algorithms, etc., are identical. I thought (please correct me if I'm wrong), that Samsung did change enough hardware to improve lag. I'm not 100% sure there isn't any, but I'll push it more today.

From the 2 samsung's I tried last year (6300 and 7000 series) Putting the auto motion on anything but off I had alot of input lag. Putting the TV in game mode helped alot but it still annoyed me. If samsung could somehow find a way around this it would be amazing but I think that would have been stated by samsung as one of their selling points.

Input lag is not something you will see but rather you will feel it. Like Shooting on Call of Duty. When you Pull the trigger it should happen on your TV screen at the same time. There should be no delay. We are talking milliseconds. Here is a great thread all about input lag and how you can do a pretty accurate test if you wanted to...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464
post #123 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury View Post

From the 2 samsung's I tried last year (6300 and 7000 series) Putting the auto motion on anything but off I had alot of input lag. Putting the TV in game mode helped alot but it still annoyed me. If samsung could somehow find a way around this it would be amazing but I think that would have been stated by samsung as one of their selling points.

Input lag is not something you will see but rather you will feel it. Like Shooting on Call of Duty. When you Pull the trigger it should happen on your TV screen at the same time. There should be no delay. We are talking milliseconds. Here is a great thread all about input lag and how you can do a pretty accurate test if you wanted to...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1131464

Thanks, but you're preaching to the choir.
post #124 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 02:40 PM

so... just to be clear, this topic is about the UE D models(since these where shown at the CES of 2011 as i understood)?
We are discussing one of the UE55D8000 models right?
also i can only find the UE55C8000 on samsungs website(s).

is the UE D an european thing perhaps vs the UNXXD8000?

Does anyone know when the UE55D8000 will be available in the netherlands?
( http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/0...ung_ue55d8000/ )

Thanks.
post #125 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppertjes View Post

so... just to be clear, this topic is about the UE D models?
since i can only find UE55C8000 on samsungs website.
or is UE D an european thing vs the UNXXD8000?

Thanks.

Op de Nederlandse websites staan de 2011 modellen ('D') er nog niet op. In America staat 'UN' voor de LED serie en in Europa 'UE'. De 40" en 46" van de D8000 serie zal eind maart verkrijgbaar zijn in Nederland. De 55" komt begin april uit en de 60" ergens in de zomer.

Sorry, my english sucks xD
post #126 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 03:08 PM

The D Series is the new LineUp from Samsung in 2011. Ull find that informations on samsung website probably a bit later on.
post #127 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppertjes View Post

so... just to be clear, this topic is about the UE D models?
since i can only find UE55C8000 on samsungs website.
or is UE D an european thing vs the UNXXD8000?

( http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/0...ung_ue55d8000/ )

Thanks.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D8000YFXZA is the US model on US site. Not sure how European models are identified.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #128 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Actually, the thread is about the UN D models, not the UE D models.

UN = North America
UE = Europe

The new models are already on the Samsung website.
post #129 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanCore View Post

Op de Nederlandse websites staan de 2011 modellen ('D') er nog niet op. In America staat 'UN' voor de LED serie en in Europa 'UE'. De 40" en 46" van de D8000 serie zal eind maart verkrijgbaar zijn in Nederland. De 55" komt begin april uit en de 60" ergens in de zomer.

Bedankt voor de info!

---

Thanks for all the replies!
Looking forward to the the 55" model...
post #130 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Jonathan,

It's all your fault, according to the wife.
I'm picking up my new D8000 Friday and I cant find the actual size of the box anywhere online. Did you trash yours? I would prefere to pick it up in my SUV rather than my pick up. Just want to make sure it will fit. My wife maybe blaming you, but I'm thanking you!
post #131 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM

This new 2011 Samsung model looks smaller than last year even though both have same size 55inch panel. It's ultra thin bezel cuts width by 2 inches and height 5 inches which creates illusion of overall smaller TV.

I guess I will be shopping for 60inch D8000 this year to match my decor or even better 65inch if the price is right

Last year or so Samsung emphasis was on super slim depth of TV, this year there is emphasis on super slim bezel... I say pretty smart thinking on Samsung part to force consumers to shop for even bigger TVs.

cheers!
post #132 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:13 PM

Do we know what slim wall mounts will work with these TVs?

Samsung PN64D7000
Onkyo 706 THX Reciever
Sony PS3
Paradigm Monitor Series Speakers
M&K THX Subwoofer
post #133 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:27 PM

I saw somewhere on here that the 2011 Samsung Tv's use the same mounts as the 2010 Samsung Tv's
post #134 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:29 PM

I talked with samsung on Saturday and they said that the official samsung ultra slim wall mount will work with the 2011 tvs, along with any VESA certified wall mount.
post #135 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Dude View Post

Jonathan,

It's all your fault, according to the wife.
I'm picking up my new D8000 Friday and I cant find the actual size of the box anywhere online. Did you trash yours? I would prefere to pick it up in my SUV rather than my pick up. Just want to make sure it will fit. My wife maybe blaming you, but I'm thanking you!

Awesome...I'll measure it. All I can tell you is that it fits easily in a minivan! Can wait to hear your thoughts.

Jonathan
post #136 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 PM

I saw this set at my local Best Buy a few days ago. It is a beautiful looking set very similar to the LG LX9500 with the super thin bezel. The picture had not been calibrated and the picture color and contrast was cranked up way to high, but it is a great looking set.

However, you might want to check out the new LG passive 3D system which just came out. It has the best 3D I have seen yet and it comes with 4 pair of the 3D glasses which are the same thing you wear in the movie theater. Also, the pricing on the LG's is very aggressive. The 47 inch model was less than $1700. Not sure about the price of the 55 inch model. They also make a 65 inch model that goes for about $3600.
post #137 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'll try to be a bit more technical with this post.

The D8000 has both Auto Motion Plus and LED Motion Plus.

Auto Motion Plus is blur and judder reduction. It has 6 modes: off, clear, standard, smooth, custom and demo. In custom, one can adjust blur and judder reductions separately.

LED Motion Plus is for fast action scenes. It has 4 modes: off, normal, cinema and ticker.

Game mode is either on or off. When on, it disables both above.

I played Black Ops Zombies and Team Death Match. I played with game mode off in combinations of clear, standard and smooth AND combinations of normal and cinema.

I then played with game mode on.

Maybe my D8000 lacks the chips/processors, but I felt no lag in ANY combinations. I know at least one poster says this is impossible. It's certainly not impossible that I feel no lag. Maybe both my son and I are lag impervious. Or maybe Black Ops is not the right game on this TV to check for lag. I don't know either way. Using a wireless Xbox 360 controller, I turned fast in both directions, shot multiple in-game weapons, ran back and forth and so on. There was no noticeable lag. What can I tell you? Maybe tomorrow, I'll try other similar games to look again.

In watched the rest of The Social Network tonight in Movie mode. The colors looked much better, and black levels were not noticeably compromised. There's a specific option for black levels, dark, darker and darkest, and I had it off the whole time. I meant to switch it as well, but got caught up with the movie.

All I can say is this TV is fantastic. When I watch my bedroom TV - a 3 or so year old Sharp Aquos 46", it's bezel now looks like 2 x 4s. It's still more than adequate, but the D8000 is "window-like."

My only 3 complaints so far are: 1. I don't have enough time to make and test various adjustments until 8pm during the week. 2. I wish there was a thorough explanation of each mode (e.g., increase refresh rate from 120-240, or adds interpolated frames to reduce judder) and 3. I'm still mad about the "unincluded" touch screen remote. I'm guessing that it was a last minute decision to increase or maintain profits per unit without increasing the price, bit I can't help feeling misled on this one. The D8000 should have a beet remote than the couple of hundred dollar Samsung blue ray player. I'm also guessing that the voucher for the qwerty remote was a last minute replacement meant to pacify the masses. But having one $10 remote and a $30 keyboard isn't a substitute for a programmable touch screen that can be used to stream movies.

Sorry for the remote rant. I guess it's caveat emptor for me. I still love the TV.

Jonathan
post #138 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First, let me say that it's not the size of the box that matters....

Okay, the box is ~60.5" x 33" x 8"

Jonathan
post #139 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

2. I wish there was a thorough explanation of each mode (e.g., increase refresh rate from 120-240, or adds interpolated frames to reduce judder) and 3. I'm still mad about the "unincluded" touch screen remote. I'm guessing that it was a last minute decision to increase or maintain profits per unit without increasing the price, bit I can't help feeling misled on this one. The D8000 should have a beet remote than the couple of hundred dollar Samsung blue ray player. I'm also guessing that the voucher for the qwerty remote was a last minute replacement meant to pacify the masses. But having one $10 remote and a $30 keyboard isn't a substitute for a programmable touch screen that can be used to stream movies.

Sorry for the remote rant. I guess it's caveat emptor for me. I still love the TV.

I fully agree on almost all of your comments. This TV is great.
On your 2nd issue, I'm a little surprised that it has a very thin manual since electronic manual is included in TV. I haven't read them all but wasn't it sufficient to fully understand the menu items?

I got a news that Samsung will release qwerty remote this month. That's why it's not included in the box?
Actually, in Korea, there're a lot of on/off-line disputes on active/passive 3D TV tech since LG released new passive 3d TV in Feb. earlier than Samsung. It's very cheap and popular as other member posted and 3D is very bright even if the resolution doesn't support full 3D HD. Samsung hurried to launch new D series TV here a week later to catch up LG. But it seems that they're not fully ready for other accessories like touch remote or qwerty remote, etc. I guess that's the reason that we have some inconsistent bundle policies from Samsung.
post #140 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 09:25 PM

So i've read about the specifications that the tv includes wireless /+LAN or USB connections and lord knows what kind of other options...

What if i wanted to use my desktop PC as media player, would i still be 'limited' to a DVI / HDMI connection for output or can i actually stream the desktop to the TV through LAN?

What options are there?

Thanks again
post #141 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM

Great work there chief! Just want to check, have you watch any movies with lots of dark scene in a completely dark environment. Did you notice any clouding? I hope the D series have finally overcome the flashlight, clouding ( background light bleeding ) and other problems.
post #142 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 10:03 PM

I checked out the 3D on the Samsung D7000, it was great, clearly the best 3D I have seen from any LED set. The sales guy stated that he felt that Plasmas will be put to pasture by the 2011 LED sets.
post #143 of 8445 Old 03-07-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuanCore View Post

Worse is that machines are to help but you are not aware about this . Let's see how they do:

On the Dutch website are the 2011 models ('D') is not up yet. In America is "UN" for the LED series and in Europe "UE". The 40 "and 46"of the D8000 series will be available in late March in the Netherlands. The 55 "will be available early April and the 60" sometime in the summer.

Niet slecht, toch?
(That was also machine, not bad, right? )

irkuck
post #144 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My only 3 complaints so far are: 1. I don't have enough time to make and test various adjustments until 8pm during the week. 2. I wish there was a thorough explanation of each mode (e.g., increase refresh rate from 120-240, or adds interpolated frames to reduce judder) and 3. I'm still mad about the "unincluded" touch screen remote. I'm guessing that it was a last minute decision to increase or maintain profits per unit without increasing the price, bit I can't help feeling misled on this one. The D8000 should have a beet remote than the couple of hundred dollar Samsung blue ray player. I'm also guessing that the voucher for the qwerty remote was a last minute replacement meant to pacify the masses. But having one $10 remote and a $30 keyboard isn't a substitute for a programmable touch screen that can be used to stream movies.

Your userexp is stellar taking into account this product is too sophisticated for you (just kidding!!!). You should first try to fine tune the colors/gamma using the tools provided: check review of C8000.

Regarding the touch remote people say it is not the best thing in the world after hamburger since it has no touch feedback. Standard remote you learn to use without looking at it.

irkuck
post #145 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM

Thank you so much, nahtanoj
post #146 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisanneo View Post

Thank you so much, nahtanoj

+1. A big thanks to Jonathan for his accomodation of our many questions! High appreciation! Valuable member!
post #147 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 AM

nahtanoj, awesome thread. I have my mind set on this TV and will probably pull the trigger in a few months.

As for input lag with games, I have been playing on my current TV the LN52A650 which was a 2008 model with 120hz. I play PS3 games with AMP always set on High. Never noticed input lag on any shooter. The only game that was noticeable was Rockband. But the in-game settings allowed for correction.
post #148 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if the thread title could carry just D8000?

XX is not needed, anybody will understand all sets are covered.
UN is Northamericancentric which leads to confusions.
D8000 is global generic.

irkuck
post #149 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 03:32 AM

Liked: 14
I took some more pics to see the uniformity of my d8000.
Pls. check it from the attached.
I got some backlight bleeding. Is is correct term? I see them more clear on gray background image (4th image). But black image is very dark and only mouse cursor is shown. Seems all LED backlights are turned off.

Samsung tech guy confirmed it and agree to replace it to new one this Friday.
If it's the limitation of edge LED TV, then I'll cope with it after replacing it.
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #150 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post
I wonder if the thread title could carry just D8000?

XX is not needed, anybody will understand all sets are covered.
UN is Northamericancentric which leads to confusions.
D8000 is global generic.
The un and ue have different features built-in, so its ok to have the unxxd8000. If you have a ue or other d8000 that means firmware updates wont be compatible with the un and other features like dvr free-sat tuner for the ue not compatible for the un models. The list goes on but overall the UN is important.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page