Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Because of what I saw at CES and because of this thread I decided to get the 55D8000. I went to my local Best Buy here in San Jose California to order it. It just so happened that they were just taking one off of today's truck shipment. So I walked out with the TV. Should have everything installed later this afternoon!

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury View Post

I cant wait to see some lag tests on these new samsung's. Thats the only efficient way to know if they are good or not. Otherwise its just opinions.

How does one perform a lag test, other than the haphazard method of playing games as I've done.

Also, as a phenomenon, if a TV has a lag of X, is the effect on every game and from every platform (Xbox360 vs. PS3 especially) identical, or are there other factors involved.

Let's say that you play 2 games back to back on the same system. One game requires very little time for the graphics processing to be received by the TV (I think lag is different than pixel redrawing, but correct me if I'm wrong), and the other games graphics require much more texture mapping, shadow detail, etc. Does that mean that X lag in game A will be the same as X lag in game B?

While that some games load more slowly on the platform itself challenging platform graphics hardware to a greater extent, would more complex information being fed to the TV when moving on screen or when shooting (the actions where lag is usually noticed) effect lag at all?

One reason that I'm asking is that I cannot create lag with the games I've tried regardless of the settings. I don't want to mistakenly conclude (and lead people to the conclusion) that therre's no lag if it is somewhat dependent on the complexity of the graphics processing or something else with the game).

Jonathan
post #183 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

Excellent! I'm not talking price, but since I bought everything a la carte, I hope I didn't overpay by too much. If I did, it's the price of being among the first I guess. Maybe I'm better off not knowing. lol. Certainly I am better of if my wife doesn't know!

By the way, if you watch a soap opera with heavy judder corrections causing the soap opera effect, do they cancel each other out so the soap opera looks normal? (that was dumb!).

I guess we all pay the price in some sense of buying a new product just as it releases, I'm sure the price will go down further as more online suppliers such as amazon and costco get the new models in there warehouse. I myself wanted to wait until they did but the 3d package ends on the 9th so I price shopped and negotiated a good deal and made a purchase.
post #184 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphillips63 View Post

I guess we all pay the price in some sense of buying a new product just as it releases, I'm sure the price will go down further as more online suppliers such as amazon and costco get the new models in there warehouse. I myself wanted to wait until they did but the 3d package ends on the 9th so I price shopped and negotiated a good deal and made a purchase.

I was hoping that "eventually" didn't mean 3 days. Not a huge deal. The work and enjoyment of posting here is worth far more than a 3D starter kit (sappy I know).

Jonathan
post #185 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just got my 46D8000. Love it so far. Picture looks more colorful than the Sony 40ex720. I'm not really going to have a chance to play with setting until the weekend. My replacement Intel motherboard came as well so im going to redo my pc. As mentioned before you get a voucher for the qwerty remote and 3d glasses. I'm in love lol.

ps side not thanks to Cleveland Plasma (Chris)
post #186 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearmomo View Post

Thank you very much, Jonathan, for your kind response. You know, thanks to the valuable information I am considering to buy the 55D8000. Is doing an excellent job and providing valuable information that we have in mind when buying a new TV.

We are very grateful.

pedro.

I couldn't agree more! Thank you for everything!!

Still looking for the perfect TV...
post #187 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Liked: 11
In addition to whether calibration was worth tempting on my own with these sets, can anyone recommended a decent wall mount
post #188 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:

How does one perform a lag test, other than the haphazard method of playing games as I've done.

Do you have any rhythm games? Stuff like Dance Central, Rock Band or guitar hero usually have a setting in the options that you adjust to compensate for the tv's lag. The more you need to move it away from default, the bigger the lag.
post #189 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium View Post
In addition to whether calibration was worth tempting on my own with these sets, can anyone recommended a decent wall mount
Sanus VLT15B1 is an excellant thin wall mount that tilts.
post #190 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post
Just got my 46D8000. Love it so far. Picture looks more colorful than the Sony 40ex720. I'm not really going to have a chance to play with setting until the weekend. My replacement Intel motherboard came as well so im going to redo my pc. As mentioned before you get a voucher for the qwerty remote and 3d glasses. I'm in love lol.

ps side not thanks to Cleveland Plasma (Chris)

So other than the querty remote is there any other remote with the TV so we can operate it while new buyers wait on samsung to ship the querty remote?
post #191 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:45 PM

Good question jphillips.
post #192 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acronos Myth View Post
Do you have any rhythm games? Stuff like Dance Central, Rock Band or guitar hero usually have a setting in the options that you adjust to compensate for the tv's lag. The more you need to move it away from default, the bigger the lag.
I have Rock Band, which I haven't yet tried, but I thought that was just the observational way. When Fluery mentioned lag tests, I thought he meant to test using something that results in a # representing the lag time (in miliseconds - not to be confused with the refresh rate in miliseonds that monitors have had for years).

BTW: I think you just answered my eariler question about whether game A can be more of a challenge than game B. The answer has to be yes if the general consensus is that Rock Bank results in more lag or simply noticeable lag that at least one other game doesn't have.

For you gamers out there, it would be great if either or both an LCD TV and video games could be labeled with acceptable lag time. If it's just computer science and physics, there's got to be a way. Whether anyone will spend any money on something that isn't profitiable is another story.

Just as PC games call out minimum requirements, games could say: recommended lag time of 20ms or less. Or they could say, "tested TVs include XX, YY and ZZ" especially for those gaint companies (Sony, Microsoft) that already have interests in selling games and online memberships and either also manufacture TVs (Sony) or have business relationships.

Sorry I got off track there...

Jonathan
post #193 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
So other than the querty remote is there any other remote with the TV so we can operate it while new buyers wait on samsung to ship the querty remote?
Yes. See very early posts with pictures of included remote.

Jonathan
post #194 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 02:06 PM

Has anyone tried DLNA yet w/ his new Samsung? Does it work properly w/ a NAS/WHS System?
post #195 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 02:09 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Sanus VLT15B1 is an excellant thin wall mount that tilts.
Thank you!
post #196 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW312 View Post
Has anyone tried DLNA yet w/ his new Samsung? Does it work properly w/ a NAS/WHS System?
I've not installed the server software on any of the computers in my home network. However, when I went to the SMART screen, and clicked on photos (I don't recall if there was an interim option I selected first). It certainly recognized the network name of my wireless network. I know that it doesn't mean much, but I thought that was a good first sign. I'll have to search the e-manual to see what software and version I need to install. Hmm, maybe I'll try tonight...

Jonathan
post #197 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 02:20 PM

so do we know if the d8000 is picture wise better then the d7000 ?
post #198 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Hmm, maybe I'll try tonight...
Ok, thanx.

Btw, u mean the Samsung PC Share Manager, which u havent installed so far, right? Do u happen to have a NAS/WHS, which has an inbuild DLNA Server Client. If u do, could u try, if ur TV works w/ that instead of the Samsung Manager?
post #199 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok, thanx.

Btw, u mean the Samsung PC Share Manager, which u havent installed so far, right? Do u happen to have a NAS/WHS, which has an inbuild DLNA Server Client. If u do, could u try, if ur TV works w/ that instead of the Samsung Manager?
I do not use WHS. I do have networked external HD. I'm in a mixed Apple/windows network, and have not formatted it to handle both. So far, I've only used in on my iMac for time machine. As I'd like use DLNA, I'll have to look into it more. Hopefully, I can get it to work on the D8000 w/o any reformatting and maybe directly off of my iMac. I've got to read the emanual to see if it's simple.

Jonathan
post #200 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Update on impression of emanual. So far, it's not the panacea I had hope that on some of the advanced settings. For motion settings for example, it gives the modes (which you already know) and very general things like, "helps with fast motion." I did find a film mode in the emanual, which I didn't see in the menus. I'll have to look again. There was a footnote on the screen for film mode. It's got auto and manual setting a as well. I think auto automatically detects media frame rates - in theory for example to properly process 24p.

It also says general like movie mode is for watching movies in a dark room - or something like that. I'm a novice at this, but why can't manufacturers have a D65 mode. If the question is dumb, be kind.

Jonathan
post #201 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM

I had C8000 and a C650 and returned both due to the AutoMotion Plus processor. I love the look of having AMP on standard or smooth. It clears up the picture and adds more depth but it was unusuable on almost all television shows. It caused the picture to studder A LOT like the processor couldn't properly handle what it was supposed to handle. Turning it to clear or off fixed the problem but then the picture didn't look as good. I didn't think I should have to sacrafice when it is a big feature. The problem was not very apparent on blu-ray on the C8000. I have an A650 and the AMP works perfectly. There is no reason things should be worse two years later. This is the one thing I'm hoping is fixed with the D models and particularly, the D8000, so can you guys please give more feedback on this issue? Turn up the AMP and watch some TV please. Thanks for all the feedback!
post #202 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcarboost View Post

I had C8000 and a C650 and returned both due to the AutoMotion Plus processor. I love the look of having AMP on standard or smooth. It clears up the picture and adds more depth but it was unusuable on almost all television shows. It caused the picture to studder A LOT like the processor couldn't properly handle what it was supposed to handle. Turning it to clear or off fixed the problem but then the picture didn't look as good. I didn't think I should have to sacrafice when it is a big feature. The problem was not very apparent on blu-ray on the C8000. I have an A650 and the AMP works perfectly. There is no reason things should be worse two years later. This is the one thing I'm hoping is fixed with the D models and particularly, the D8000, so can you guys please give more feedback on this issue? Turn up the AMP and watch some TV please. Thanks for all the feedback!

They came out with a firmware update that fixed the stuttering on AMP a while back on the C8000. I have not seen stuttering on mine since.
post #203 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

They came out with a firmware update that fixed the stuttering on AMP a while back on the C8000. I have not seen stuttering on mine since.

I put the brand new 1035 firmware on my C8000 last week before returning it. It did nothing to fix the issue.
post #204 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:

I put the brand new 1035 firmware on my C8000 last week before returning it. It did nothing to fix the issue.

Yeah, you are correct. I had mine on clear, but the one thing it did fix was there was stutter on the clear setting before, but now since the 1029 update, it has been gone. I just put it on Standard, and it is still present under that setting.
post #205 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Ok, thanx.

I have WHS box but it's not DLNA compatible by itself. We need separate DLNA server like Twonky, Mezzmo, etc. to share our media.
I used to use Mezzmo and Wild media server in WHS to share movies, photos and music and they worked like a charm with D8000.
I dont like Samsung AllShare Manager since it's very simple software that can't fulfill my requirements.
When I tried 1080p ac3 mkv file, it's played smoothly with no frame skip when connected thru ethernet link. (I guess this year, Samsung support more codec and file format but I dont know what's changed yet)
One problem that Samsung TV has in DLNA is they don't support FF/REW thus you can't use ff/rew buttons at the remote when playing videos thru DLNA. Instead, we can use left/right directional keys to move forward/back if DLNA server support it. It's still the same to D8000.
post #206 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:

안녕하세요.

Glad to see very familiar characters here.
Google is your best friends, too?
post #207 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Some bleeding from sides might be inevitable (proof of side edge LED) but in your case the bleeding is unsymmetric from left/right. Question is if this is due to bad factory tuning or it is a result of setting other parameters and not caring about bleeding (center is pretty uniform). If Samsung agreed for replacement it could be production glitch, interesting to see how the new set will do.

This time, Samsung was very quick and called me that they'll visit my home this afternoon. I may upload some more pics to compare both TV's backlight uniformity.
post #208 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

Yeah, you are correct. I had mine on clear, but the one thing it did fix was there was stutter on the clear setting before, but now since the 1029 update, it has been gone. I just put it on Standard, and it is still present under that setting.

I'm really hoping they recognized this as a big problem and used a different AMP processor this year. What I can't get over is that they had it right with the A models a few years ago and then screwed it up this year. The only thing I can think of is that they tried to go cheaper on it and it suffered because of that. It's a dealbreaker to me and it's a shame because I thought the picture on the C8000 blew everything else away. I'll jump on the D if it's fixed.
post #209 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:

I'm really hoping they recognized this as a big problem and used a different AMP processor this year. What I can't get over is that they had it right with the A models a few years ago and then screwed it up this year. The only thing I can think of is that they tried to go cheaper on it and it suffered because of that. It's a dealbreaker to me and it's a shame because I thought the picture on the C8000 blew everything else away. I'll jump on the D if it's fixed.

Hopefully it is fixed as they said that the processing on the D series is totally new from the C series.
post #210 of 8445 Old 03-08-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
well the 55D7000 and 55D8000 are on amazon for sale. Wonder how much longer until the 65 inch shows up.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un65d8000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page