Official Samsung UNXXD8000 Owners' Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't know what came over me. I was going to buy a Sony 55HX909 tonight on shop NBC as it might be the value of the day at midnight. But I was in a local big box store and loved the look. Granted, it was a semi crappy feed, overly bright and not D65. But when I looked at the picture, I thought the bezel disappeared. I just got it home and my son took over the Toshiba 65" DLP that I'm moving to the basement. Hopefully, I'll set it up tomorrow and give some impressions.

I got it with an HDMI 3D 1000HD Monster Cable, which claims that if the HDMI tech changes, they'll upgrade it for free. I won't hold my breath, but we'll see. I also bought a Samsung BD-D6500 and a Samsung starter kit with Shrek 1-3 and Megamind in 3D.

All I can tell you so far is that it's much lighter than last years models (Samsung C series and Sony's at least). The box is very thin, and has 4 round plastic plugs, 2 on either side of the front and back. You squeeze and pull them out to release the box from the base, and the whole box (other than the base) comes off. I inspected the screen before I left and it was fine. The outside of the box says, "free qwerty remote." It's supposed to be a bonus to the touch screen, which I have not yet seen. The touch screen remote is supposed to let you stream the TV program. I read that it fan stream a second input, but I don't know how that will work. It could require a second satellite/cable feed or a second source. Not sure if the second feed could be a DVR recording, a different channel or a BD. Will update this when I figure it all out. I know the B series had some issues sometimes detecting wireless networks. Hopefully, the D8000 will be seamless. The BD6500 that I also bought is also wireless n. I would normally set up everything right away, but my son's too young to help me move my DLP, and my wife had enough electronics and went to bed. Lol. If anyone is interested, I'll have to pick up one of the calibration DVDs. I don't have one, but if anyone knows the easiest one to use that's not too expensive, please tell me and I'll order one.

Jonathan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You know the drill...pics first. PQ impressions next. Try this disc it's free.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

Precision Video Calibrations
THX Certified Video Calibrator
Calibrating Florida and Georgia
post #3 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 06:59 PM

Liked: 13
Pretty sure those 3D glasses you bought will not work with the D8000. Samsung switched their 3D glasses to bluetooth this year. Those glasses are IR
post #4 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's right. I read that, but was so caught up in things that I forgot to look. The box also says 2 free pairs of glasses. Don't know if they're in the TV box, or if it's a voucher. I need to go check. Thanks for pointing it out though, before I opened everything!

Jonathan
post #5 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good news. The 3D Starter kit says on the back: "Glasses only compatible with LED D6400 and above, plasma D490 series and Plasma D550 series and above." It also says only compatible with new 2011 TV models only. I assume that means that they're all blue tooth rather than IR and should work fine.

Thanks for pointing that out. It certainly could have gone the other way.

Jonathan
post #6 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
It's just me, but I don't like the idea of using Bluetooth on these glasses... using more microwave signals closer to my head... I just don't like how it adds up with cellphones and headsets.
post #7 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 10:59 PM

As the first member who owns the 55D8000, you have a very large responsibility on your shoulders. Whether that turns out to be to you liking or not is another matter! We and other net users will be hanging on your every word... For people like me, our hopes for AV bliss are dependant on it!

When you get down to the picture quality, PLEASE tell us about its black levels and motion sharpness!!! In a fully dark room if possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

Don't know what came over me. I was going to buy a Sony 55HX909 tonight on shop NBC as it might be the value of the day at midnight. But I was in a local big box store and loved the look. Granted, it was a semi crappy feed, overly bright and not D65. But when I looked at the picture, I thought the bezel disappeared. I just got it home and my son took over the Toshiba 65" DLP that I'm moving to the basement. Hopefully, I'll set it up tomorrow and give some impressions.

I got it with an HDMI 3D 1000HD Monster Cable, which claims that if the HDMI tech changes, they'll upgrade it for free. I won't hold my breath, but we'll see. I also bought a Samsung BD-D6500 and a Samsung starter kit with Shrek 1-3 and Megamind in 3D.

All I can tell you so far is that it's much lighter than last years models (Samsung C series and Sony's at least). The box is very thin, and has 4 round plastic plugs, 2 on either side of the front and back. You squeeze and pull them out to release the box from the base, and the whole box (other than the base) comes off. I inspected the screen before I left and it was fine. The outside of the box says, "free qwerty remote." It's supposed to be a bonus to the touch screen, which I have not yet seen. The touch screen remote is supposed to let you stream the TV program. I read that it fan stream a second input, but I don't know how that will work. It could require a second satellite/cable feed or a second source. Not sure if the second feed could be a DVR recording, a different channel or a BD. Will update this when I figure it all out. I know the B series had some issues sometimes detecting wireless networks. Hopefully, the D8000 will be seamless. The BD6500 that I also bought is also wireless n. I would normally set up everything right away, but my son's too young to help me move my DLP, and my wife had enough electronics and went to bed. Lol. If anyone is interested, I'll have to pick up one of the calibration DVDs. I don't have one, but if anyone knows the easiest one to use that's not too expensive, please tell me and I'll order one.

post #8 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Liked: 11
Pics from the box, too please

What panel version you have?
post #9 of 8440 Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 PM

congratulation
please give us pics - we can't wait any longer to finally see this tv

thank you
post #10 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:28 AM

Liked: 12
I'll notify all major media outlets asap.

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #11 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I just went to my local BB they didn't have any of the 2011 Samsung tvs, had no clue when they would get them ether. On top of that I just bought a new car yesterday, so I took my old $400 Alpine out of my old car to give to my wife. Went and got a wiring harness and deck kit from BB, I've installed many stereos and know what I'm doing. They sold me the wrong wiring harness and fried my $400 Alpine, I'm not happy with BB. just wanted to vent that as this happened Saturday.
post #12 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 06:25 AM

Congrats!! I'll be honest though, I was hoping someone from the 2011 lineup thread would be the first so we could have a more meaty first post and he would answer all kinds of questions from the getgo. Where are the photos?? What exactly was included in the box?
post #13 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok. Update. I've taken lots of pics of the box, stand, docs, TV and plug and play screen, back of the TV, inputs, etc. I'll try to post today. I've never ted pics before, so please be kind. Sorry, Acronos Myth. I've followed the 2011 Samsung thread since it started and researched a lot, but I'm not expert. I'll try not to disappoint. If there's something specific wanted, please ask. I'm going through the P&P now. The wireless n worked flawlessly. About to run update. It's not asking if I have STD, HRC or IRC digital cable. I hate to admit ignorance, but I have to go look up what they are. If you know, don't hesitate.

Jonathan
post #14 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I need to apologize, I had just woken up and made that rude post without thinking. Looking forward to your updates and pics, please post every cool detail you notice! But no pressure.
post #15 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 08:24 AM

please post the pics in original size (hope you did them in high resolution).
post #16 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Another minor update. Still don't know whether Dish is SRD, HRC or IRC. I looked them and now know what they mean, but STD seems fine. It happened that Troy in HD is on, and is the first movie. WOW.

It definatley seems too bright to me, but the PQ is almost 3D looking without glasses. It's crystal clear. My wife, who often says she can't see any difference, for the first time ever, said, "wow, how does it look that good. It looks so clear, with really cool depth."

I have to check the motion settings.mi saw one very fast scene that looked video like. Again, this is right put of the box, so I need to figure out what th default setting a are.

A couple of interesting things (to me anyway).
  • The speakers are down firing and on either side of the stand. I've not played with the settings yet, but they seem slightly better than I thought, but the sound doesn't come towards your ears.

The first HDMI input is labeled "DVI" and the seconds labeled "ARC." 3 and 4 are just HDMI.

I do seem somewhat of a soap opera effect on motion. It may be set on 240HZ.

The TV itself is VERY light. Not surprising, I know, but it seems more fragile as a result.

The thin bezel disappears, and make it seem like one sheet of glass.

The bezel is silver, but is not distracting.

The stand is fairly heavy duty. I read one post that said it looked flimsy, but it isn't.

I foolishly ran the auto program mode, and forgot to simply change the input. Not everything in plug and play is necessary.

Maybe this is the case with all new TVs, but there's a plug and play option for "store display" or "home use." it's probably obvious to everyone but me, but it's perfect evidence of how store displays are overly bright and saturated in many cases.

I'm certain that black level can be improved, but it already looks promising.

Brad Pitt is not very good in this movie.

More soon. If you want to fire me from my first try at early adoption, I understand. I frankly have little idea of what the heck I'm doing.

Acronos Myth, apology accepted. If I were you, I'd want more of an expert the me too. Lol.

I will try to post pic soon and then mess with the settings.

Jonathan
post #17 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM

pretty cool.
did you see any clouding and flashlights so far? maybe you can take pics of a black screen with backlight = very high and backlight = 5 or 6 or something like that. thx
post #18 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are the first box pics. I'm not sure how many I can upload at once, so I'll have to make additional posts. Enjoy.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #19 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I wasn't supposed to do it upside down, but I was too excited to read the directions.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #20 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The D8000 came with a voucher for 2 free BR 3D glasses and a QWERTY tactile remote (not a touch screen).

1. The salesman sold me 2 extra pairs. At least now I can get money back.

2. For some reason, I thought the D8000 came with the touchscreen remote that would accept streaming video. I guess it's a separate option???

3. Someone in one of the ealry posts thought I bought the wrong glasses, and brough up a good caveat. If you get a D6500 or above, make sure the 3D starter kit and separate glasses state that they're for the D series LCDs (the boxes were clear once I read the at home - luckily, I have the BR versions).
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #21 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

D8000 connections...
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #22 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Was I not supposed to give everyone my S/N??? lol
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #23 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nahtanoj View Post

I wasn't supposed to do it upside down, but I was too excited to read the directions.

you are doing a good job with the pics keep up the good work cant wait to see pics with the tv on showing something its so exciting
post #24 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here are the first few steps of the P&P menus. I didn't want to bore everyone to death.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Jonathan
post #25 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM

awesome. please more pics. I feel like a crack addict here. more pics. Can u take a close up of the remote please.
post #26 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

This was a commercial for Animal Planet. Unadjusted, I thought the N showed that the D8000 has promising black levels. I'm not a calibrator, and I don't know if I can measure BLs without a meter. If someone wants to tell me how, I'm up for it. I have to download the free calibration that was posted eariler to this thread.

I need to run out for a bit, but plan on tweaking and looking for motion, clouding, and flashlights. I don't see anything obvious, so far, but am going to look much more carefully in a bit.

I took the pics on my Nikon D80 in RAW + fine jpeg. In jpeg, they were ~2.2gb each, so I resized them. If too small to use, I can resize them again. I thought the management attachments section had a max that I was close to. I'll have to check that again.
LL

Jonathan
post #27 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Shouldn't he remove the serial number from the picture for his safety?
post #28 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
yes remove your S/N
you pictures everything but the most important thing which is the Set to show the 0.2inch bezel
post #29 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewhale1 View Post

Shouldn't he remove the serial number from the picture for his safety?

What the heck is anyone going to know about the purchase from a serial number?
post #30 of 8440 Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM

The bezel (or lack thereof) looks awesome. I just am not a fan of the stand.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un65d8000 65 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un46d8000 46 Inch 1080p 240hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Led Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn59d550 59 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page