Two big problems with Samsung's C5000 series LED-TVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this TV specifically for its built-in media player and plug & play USB options - basically for the ability to play back files without the addition of an external media player. However, even though it is stated as supported, MP4 files encoded with H.264/MPEG-4 do not playback in their entirety if longer than 2h 03min (2:03:19 to be exact).

Second, the auto dimmer is a problem. I've read it's in place to keep blacks as absolute blacks but it's annoying as hell and makes dark scenes impossible to enjoy. I've seen on threads (on here and in the cnet forums - can't post links yet) that it's possible to disable this option (CE DIMMING) on other Samsung models, but the step involving pressing the numbers 0000 does not get me into any Advanced menu.

So, I'd like to know from other C5000 owners if they've been successful in turning off CE DIMMING on the C5000 model, and how to access this option in the service menu (how to get to advanced menu). Does anyone have a service manual for Samsung's C-series TVs? Also, do other owners have problems with MP4 files stopping at 2:03:19?

Hope to hear from lots of people!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVan View Post

I bought this TV specifically for its built-in media player and plug & play USB options - basically for the ability to play back files without the addition of an external media player. However, even though it is stated as supported, MP4 files encoded with H.264/MPEG-4 do not playback in their entirety if longer than 2h 03min (2:03:19 to be exact).

Second, the auto dimmer is a problem. I've read it's in place to keep blacks as absolute blacks but it's annoying as hell and makes dark scenes impossible to enjoy. I've seen on threads (on here and in the cnet forums - can't post links yet) that it's possible to disable this option (CE DIMMING) on other Samsung models, but the step involving pressing the numbers 0000 does not get me into any Advanced menu.

So, I'd like to know from other C5000 owners if they've been successful in turning off CE DIMMING on the C5000 model, and how to access this option in the service menu (how to get to advanced menu). Does anyone have a service manual for Samsung's C-series TVs? Also, do other owners have problems with MP4 files stopping at 2:03:19?

Hope to hear from lots of people!

Can't seem to download the manual for your set right now so this may not apply, but on some other Samsung LED sets the ambient light sensor and auto dimming settings are in the user menu under Eco solutions or power savings settings rather than in the picture adjustments.

Steve S.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 24
To me, built-in media playing capability of current TVs not acceptable. Like the limitation u just mentioned and u don't find out until the big hunk of plastic is sitting in your living room.

I shall continue with my original plan of pairing up a PC-base media player, that way I get max flexibility and minimal surprises.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Steve, I've looked through the menus and the manual - the ability to turn off the auto-dimming aren't in the Eco solutions, power savings settings, or any other user menu (although ambient light sensor is there).

MrBobb, I'm starting to see what you mean. I'm pretty pissed off as the TV is advertised as supporting the format and it clearly has issues. The majority of my library has been encoded with MP4, so I'm wondering if this is reason enough to return it to BestBuy and if it would be a valid reason. What are your thoughts on TVs paired with Google TV?
post #5 of 5 Old 03-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVan View Post

so I'm wondering if this is reason enough to return it to BestBuy and if it would be a valid reason.

If you are within 30 days of your purchase, it is definitely returnable at BB. You could tell them "it doesn't make toast", and they'll take it back. The main reason I like to do business there.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page