46” BRAVIA® EX620 Series HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Model Number: KDL46EX620

Features: Full HD 1080p, LED backlit, X-Reality Engine, Internet TV for streaming entertainment, Wi-Fi Ready, smooth motion with Motionflow 120Hz, USB input.

Hi, I got this TV this weekend as my replacement TV for my 42"GIII. I was orginally suppose to get the HX701. Can't complain getting the latest product LED instead of last years LCD. (yes I know it's LCD-LED).

Does any have an review links or configuration links? I'm looking to fine tune it and like to see what people are using.

Anything on this model would be appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM

Sorry I don't have any links to help you out, but I do have a question as you're the first person I've seen post they got an EX620.

Is the screen matte or semi-glossy? I saw some posted pics of the EX720 and it's screen was really reflective looking, way more than last year EX710. I was wondering how reflective the EX620's are. Thanks.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to get back to you. Reason I say that is that my room doesn't have much light coming in and I also sit straight on no side seating so I really don't see any glare. Now I understand why people like plasma sitting off to the side better than lcd or led. The picture does loose sharpness and color off to the side. However, since I sit straight away I don't have any concerns.
post #4 of 31 Old 03-20-2011, 04:43 AM

I just got my 55" EX620. Amazing tv. Does everything except 3D & 240hz, but I wasn't concerned. From what I could tell, it's the exact same panel as the 720.

OP, you should just edit the title to be the "Official EX620" thread, hopefully we can find some more owners
post #5 of 31 Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I've really enjoyed this TV. No complaints what so ever. I did disable the motionflow as I just couldn't get use to the extra frames. I don't notice any clouding or anything odd. 120Hz or 240Hz shouldn't make a difference considering I'm watching cable in HD most of the time and I believe the box is 1080i over 60hz. The 120hz would be enhanced via the bravia engine.
post #6 of 31 Old 04-13-2011, 01:32 PM

I picked one up this week and was hoping to find some good settings to use. So far I do like the TV!
post #7 of 31 Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 AM
CKS

I got a question, under which condition does PIP or PAP works?(picture in picture, picture and picture)

I got a 55EX620, under specification it mentioned this feature but i can't seem to activate it.
post #8 of 31 Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKS View Post

I got a question, under which condition does PIP or PAP works?(picture in picture, picture and picture)

I got a 55EX620, under specification it mentioned this feature but i can't seem to activate it.

If it's like my EX710 there's not much information in the paper manual that comes with it. A more detailed manual may be stored in the tv itself--look for a button on the remote that says "I-manual" near the top of the remote. Press that button and the I-manual should load, click on "index" and go to "twin picture display". The I-manual is also accessible at Sony's customer support on the website.

Steve S.
post #9 of 31 Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM

I also have recently purchased a 55EX620. Love the TV so far with no issues, just a slight bit of clouding; however it isn't noticeable unless on a no source black screen.

I am using CNETs calibration settings for the EX720 as I believe the sets are identical with the exception of 3D.
post #10 of 31 Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM
CKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

If it's like my EX710 there's not much information in the paper manual that comes with it. A more detailed manual may be stored in the tv itself--look for a button on the remote that says "I-manual" near the top of the remote. Press that button and the I-manual should load, click on "index" and go to "twin picture display". The I-manual is also accessible at Sony's customer support on the website.

I did read the i-manual, and followed the procedure, but it says "feature not available" everytime i try. could it be because it's a Canada model?
post #11 of 31 Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 PM
CKS

can anyone try this feature?
post #12 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 12:19 AM
CKS

if it works for everybody but me, i need to return this unit and get a new one~
post #13 of 31 Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 PM

What are you trying to do again? Also we should make a dedicated EX620 series owners thread....may not be many owners yet though as the set just came out not too long ago.
post #14 of 31 Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 AM
CKS

Quote:

This.
post #15 of 31 Old 04-23-2011, 05:26 AM

Quote:

This.

I will try this later today.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM

So this is basically the same tv as the 720 as far as I can tell. I'm debating if I should pickup this or LG's lv5500. Assuming this is the same panel as the 720 it seems from reviews that this tv does a better job with 2d PQ and is much better for gaming than LG's.

3d is something I would never use so that doesn't effect me at all. Does this TV have VUDU? I've heard VUDU provides excellent quality streaming services so I think thats definitely an app I'd like to try.
post #17 of 31 Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
CKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsiderwv View Post

I will try this later today.

and the result is......?
post #18 of 31 Old 05-11-2011, 06:43 PM

I'm eyeballing one of these. Tempted I will admit.

How are people finding them on a day to day level? Does it turn on quickly, is it responsive? Do you find yourself wishing it did anything better (on a practical level) or find it's better than most at some things? Realistically, I like my stuff no-nonsense for the core functions... does that make sense?
post #19 of 31 Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM

I bought the KDL46ex620 partially for the P&P feature- here's my steps as noted to sony's help line-I couldn't get the VCR & a tuner signal at the same time->

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Thank you for your reply. .....Please bear with me (as follows) -> Here are my steps:
1) With the TV tuner cable signal on the screen (direct cable in to Tv's coaxe jack), & the VCR feeding to another analog channel (not on screen), I then select the P&P item from the "options" menu.

2) P&P comes up with the TV signal in the left box & a blank HDMI screen in the right where the blank says "no signal detected". The HDMI blue ray device was and is powered down throughout this sequence (but plugged into the TV's HDMI 1 port).

3) I then use the right hand side of the 4 choice buttons on the remote to enable the selection of the blank (currently HDMI)) box. That boarder now turns green to show that the selection is made.

4) On screen, the TV instructions shown indicate pressing the input button will select which source to feed to that selected window. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE ! All choices for different sources are *locked out* at that condition: they are shown but greyed out so as to indicate that the only choice is the HDMI source. When trying to select another source for that enabled window, it beeps and stays selected on the HDMI choice. Thus no TV/VCR pair.

5) I noticed a disclaimer in the notes in the "I-manual" stating "Available combination of two pictures varies depending on your region/country." Is it that my TV is blocked out due to the region I'm in ? (Northwest, USA).

6) Another possibility might be that the info your service folks have is not in alignment with the operating firmware that is actually installed in the field. Hence my though on enabling an update of sorts (in the prior original Email). Prior to all this, I had plugged in my internet cable & performed an update. I believe the TV is current as to that aspect.

Please help me with a resolution to this issue ......

Something else I noted was that when I unhooked the HDMI cable from the TV (goes to my Blu-ray player), The PIP & P&P would not work.

My experience with it has shown that of the 2 on-screen choices in the PIP/P&P mode, one ALWAYS had to be from the HDMI channel. After a long conversation with a service rep (Nice guy), we wrote up a query to sony on the blocked out functionality. Not sure how it plays out, but it seems like a simple firmware update to allow the expanded choices in the P&P/PIP input menu.

Otherwise, with limited useage time, this set has great capabilities, solid, consistant picture, flexible controls, low power consumption, pretty good audio considering the speakers are not able to do low freq., the surround sound is a good improvement as is the other picture enhancement controls- I could go on where there are lots of control selections.

So far, a noticable bad issue is the plastic somewere in the set out gasses (smells) when it gets warmed up. It may or may not go away with burn in use. Time will tell. Also, I'd like to see a pair of audio out analog RCA connections instead of being required to tie up the headphone jack. I'm sure there will be others as time goes on.

I would like to:
1) know some settings for the screen controls where (if possible) someone used a decent calibration method to arrive at the settings;

2) How to get into the service mode (like Samsung's back door)

3) More technical details on the different video enhancements running in the chipset &/or firmware.
post #20 of 31 Old 07-25-2011, 11:47 AM

How come there is no official thread for the EX620?
post #21 of 31 Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post

How come there is no official thread for the EX620?

Because nobody started one. The moderators don't start them, the members do. It would be nice if one of the moderators would just change the title of this thread.

If not, one of the EX620 owners should start one using the generally accepted format.
post #22 of 31 Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Couldn't this be considered an EX620 thread?
If the word "official" in the title is important, send a PM to one of mods to edit.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM

FYI ---- I purchased a 46EX620 in mid May. This weekend it developed a serious problem. It has a vertical green stripe in the center of the screen, on all inputs. Since I had the set < 90 days, I returned it to WallyWorld for a refund. I came home with a Samsung 46D6000. I hope this one passes the 90 day test.
post #24 of 31 Old 07-25-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronic160 View Post

Model Number: KDL46EX620

Features: Full HD 1080p, LED backlit, X-Reality Engine, Internet TV for streaming entertainment, Wi-Fi Ready, smooth motion with Motionflow 120Hz, USB input.

Hi, I got this TV this weekend as my replacement TV for my 42"GIII. I was orginally suppose to get the HX701. Can't complain getting the latest product LED instead of last years LCD. (yes I know it's LCD-LED).

Does any have an review links or configuration links? I'm looking to fine tune it and like to see what people are using.

Anything on this model would be appreciated! Thanks.

All it takes is a simple Google search to come up with all kinds of articles and videos about this tv:

Sony Bravia KDL-46EX620
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-34504761.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoFfbYBIpfE

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...dl46ex620.html
post #25 of 31 Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

Because nobody started one. The moderators don't start them, the members do. It would be nice if one of the moderators would just change the title of this thread.

If not, one of the EX620 owners should start one using the generally accepted format.

It looks like this set is not famous then? I think people are just paying the $200 difference and getting the EX720 even though they don't care about the 3D.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-26-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post

It looks like this set is not famous then? I think people are just paying the $200 difference and getting the EX720 even though they don't care about the 3D.

Define famous.
post #27 of 31 Old 08-27-2011, 11:02 PM

At the local TV store, they have the 55HX701 and 55EX620 on sale for the same price (EX620 for $100 more). After reading on this forum for hours (became more confused as I received more info), I still cannot decide which one to commit to. Can somebody provide some advice?

It seems the HX701 (2010's higher end model) is a lot more popular. The EX620 (2011 mid range) is the new kid on the block.

I love to watch movies. Some PS3, some regular cable, some HD channels. TV will be placed on the main floor (how bad is the glare on the HX701?) Picture quality wise, my untrained eyes couldn't tell the diff between the two sets at the store. Audio is not an issue (I have 7.1 surround). When turned off, the HX701 looks nicer, but this is not critical since nobody can enjoy movies with the TV off.

Thanks!
post #28 of 31 Old 09-18-2011, 11:50 AM

I just bought a 40" EX620 an I'm overall majorly impressed with everything about it. Not a huge TV-ophile, so obviously a lot of things about the TV are new to me. Loving the PiP and PaP!
One thing I haven't been able to get to work is the PC audio. I have the PC connected via a DVI-to-HDMI cable and the video transmits perfectly. As for the audio, though... I get nothing. I've tried a 3.5" minijack from several sources (PC, phone, laptop) to no avail. The cable is definitely working (tried it out in the car AUX). The TV supposedly only uses the minijack audio in when on HDMI4, and that's what I've been trying it on. No idea what could be the problem, besides maybe a faulty audio port on the TV? Which seems somewhat unlikely to me. The port on the back does look different from most 3.5" audiojacks I've been before, though...
Even tried using a 3.5" audiojack to RCA cable (just plugged the L side in, so if it had worked it would have been mono), but nothing. Not 100% sure if that cable functions right, though.

EDIT: Ah, found the place to make it work. Home>Settings>Sound>HDMI/DVI Audio Source.
post #29 of 31 Old 10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I just received word that the EX620 and the EX500 are both being discontinued. The EX500 is a carry over LCD from last year.

I assume it will be a refresh like last years EX700--->EX710 at approximately this time of the year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
post #30 of 31 Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Do the EX620 TVs have an "antiglare/matte" screen? I want to purchase the 40EX620 but, I need the matte screen.

Thanks,

-ftlee
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page