I bought the KDL46ex620 partially for the P&P feature- here's my steps as noted to sony's help line-I couldn't get the VCR & a tuner signal at the same time->
Original Message Follows:
Thank you for your reply. .....Please bear with me (as follows) -> Here are my steps:
1) With the TV tuner cable signal on the screen (direct cable in to Tv's coaxe jack), & the VCR feeding to another analog channel (not on screen), I then select the P&P item from the "options" menu.
2) P&P comes up with the TV signal in the left box & a blank HDMI screen in the right where the blank says "no signal detected". The HDMI blue ray device was and is powered down throughout this sequence (but plugged into the TV's HDMI 1 port).
3) I then use the right hand side of the 4 choice buttons on the remote to enable the selection of the blank (currently HDMI)) box. That boarder now turns green to show that the selection is made.
4) On screen, the TV instructions shown indicate pressing the input button will select which source to feed to that selected window. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE ! All choices for different sources are *locked out* at that condition: they are shown but greyed out so as to indicate that the only choice is the HDMI source. When trying to select another source for that enabled window, it beeps and stays selected on the HDMI choice. Thus no TV/VCR pair.
5) I noticed a disclaimer in the notes in the "I-manual" stating "Available combination of two pictures varies depending on your region/country." Is it that my TV is blocked out due to the region I'm in ? (Northwest, USA).
6) Another possibility might be that the info your service folks have is not in alignment with the operating firmware that is actually installed in the field. Hence my though on enabling an update of sorts (in the prior original Email). Prior to all this, I had plugged in my internet cable & performed an update. I believe the TV is current as to that aspect.
Please help me with a resolution to this issue ......
Something else I noted was that when I unhooked the HDMI cable from the TV (goes to my Blu-ray player), The PIP & P&P would not work.
My experience with it has shown that of the 2 on-screen choices in the PIP/P&P mode, one ALWAYS had to be from the HDMI channel. After a long conversation with a service rep (Nice guy), we wrote up a query to sony on the blocked out functionality. Not sure how it plays out, but it seems like a simple firmware update to allow the expanded choices in the P&P/PIP input menu.
Otherwise, with limited useage time, this set has great capabilities, solid, consistant picture, flexible controls, low power consumption, pretty good audio considering the speakers are not able to do low freq., the surround sound is a good improvement as is the other picture enhancement controls- I could go on where there are lots of control selections.
So far, a noticable bad issue is the plastic somewere in the set out gasses (smells) when it gets warmed up. It may or may not go away with burn in use. Time will tell. Also, I'd like to see a pair of audio out analog RCA connections instead of being required to tie up the headphone jack. I'm sure there will be others as time goes on.
I would like to:
1) know some settings for the screen controls where (if possible) someone used a decent calibration method to arrive at the settings;
2) How to get into the service mode (like Samsung's back door)
3) More technical details on the different video enhancements running in the chipset &/or firmware.