Help! Sony KDL46EX520 or Samsung UN46C6300SF - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to decide between a 46 inch Sony LED-LCD KDL46EX520 and a 46 inch Samsung LED-LCD UN46C6300SF television. Can someone please point out if there is something obviously better in one television over the other? I'm leaning right now towards the Sony because it's a new 2011 model + I own a PS3, but I'm open to your suggestions of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 07:47 PM

well the sammy is 120 .. the sony is 60 hz i believe ..samsung will always have really bright vibrant colors... sony wont.. tend to get a lil bit more natural out of sonys... but most people love the colors in samsungs as fake as they may be!

....if every customer would visit AVS my job would be soo much easier :)

Magnolia Pro!
post #3 of 13 Old 03-18-2011, 07:52 PM

I have the 46EX520 (2 days now) and it has great colors, with multiple settings (including vivid) it can have really popping colors if you desire it.

I got mine only because of price, and I didn't care about 120 interpolation. The internet apps and built in guide and working bravia sync with the PS3 is pretty awesome.

If you have any specific questions about it, I would be more than happy to answer them ( there is very little owner info about the EX520 that I found in my searches).
post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
sony will be better to hook up your ps3 and cheaper!
http://tv-compare.blogspot.com/2011/...un46c6300.html
post #5 of 13 Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutters View Post

I have the 46EX520 (2 days now) and it has great colors, with multiple settings (including vivid) it can have really popping colors if you desire it.

I got mine only because of price, and I didn't care about 120 interpolation. The internet apps and built in guide and working bravia sync with the PS3 is pretty awesome.

If you have any specific questions about it, I would be more than happy to answer them ( there is very little owner info about the EX520 that I found in my searches).

Hi,

I'm considering the 46" EX520, but I'm a bit unclear as to how it actually looks. There seems to be some inconsistency in the marketing images that I've come across though web searches. In some images, the EX520 looks like the EX720 (which has a smaller bezel) while other images show a much thicker bottom bezel.

For instance, here are a few images of the EX520 with a thinner bezel (maybe it's a mistake and these are actually EX720?):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonyaustralia/5507747148/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonyaus...n/photostream/

Here's a different image of the ex520 with what seems like a thicker/bigger bezel (or maybe it's just the 32" or 40" version?):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._AA1000_.jpg

I know it's difficult to answer since you can only compare your set to the images, but I am wondering if the overall look and the bezel of your EX520 is comparable to the first two images or is it indeed a bit bigger?

Additionally, how reflective is the screen? Is there a lot of light bleeding at the edges during dark scenes? Is the bottom bezel grey like most of the marketing photos or is it darker like this EX720: http://img88.imageshack.us/f/ex720shine03.jpg/

I'll be connecting this tv to a pc and don't need the 120hz or 3d, so if the bezel isn't too big I'd rather go with the EX520. Anyway, I'd be greatful for any reply.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-20-2011, 10:12 PM

I believe those pictures all show the same bezel, but it looks bigger on the smaller screen sizes as they probably all share roughly the same size bezel. On my 46" the bezel is quite small, and looks like the first pictures. On the 46" its 1" on top left and right and 2" on the bottom. If it stays the same size on all models you would naturally expect it to look bigger on the 40" and even bigger on the 32".

The screen is matte so its is not very reflective at all, but you will still see bright light sources in it.

As for light bleeding, I don't notice it anywhere near as bad as some pictures I've seen of light bleeding, but since its lacks any dimming its also comparable to a CCFL, so don't expect pure blacks or anything.

The bottom panel of the bezel is just like the picture of the EX720 on the Sony style site, its a dark gray, not black, but also not light gray like last years models.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

I believe those pictures all show the same bezel, but it looks bigger on the smaller screen sizes as they probably all share roughly the same size bezel. On my 46" the bezel is quite small, and looks like the first pictures. On the 46" its 1" on top left and right and 2" on the bottom. If it stays the same size on all models you would naturally expect it to look bigger on the 40" and even bigger on the 32".

The screen is matte so its is not very reflective at all, but you will still see bright light sources in it.

As for light bleeding, I don't notice it anywhere near as bad as some pictures I've seen of light bleeding, but since its lacks any dimming its also comparable to a CCFL, so don't expect pure blacks or anything.

The bottom panel of the bezel is just like the picture of the EX720 on the Sony style site, its a dark gray, not black, but also not light gray like last years models.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, did you purchase online or from a brick/mortar store? I want to buy online from amazon, but I'm a bit hesitant since I'm not sure how well it'll be handled during shipping.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 PM

I purchased it directly from Sony, they used a freight company.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 09:21 PM

Hi Saj4u,

I suggest buy Sony EX520, its new model, and it has new graphics engine "X-relaity pro" which has got very good review comments...
post #10 of 13 Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the helpful comments above, especially for the comparison page link! I've actually been reading some of the 100+ page threads on AVS(about halfway there). The only thing that kind of bothers me is that Samsungs are rated as having better picture quality. I looked up Consumer Reports, and most of the top models are Samsung UN/LN series, with better HD/SD picture quality.

The thing that I like about Sony is the fact that it's a new model and USB recording. FYI I'm getting both these TVs for a similar price.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-24-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phy88 View Post

I'll be connecting this tv to a pc and don't need the 120hz or 3d, so if the bezel isn't too big I'd rather go with the EX520. Anyway, I'd be greatful for any reply.

Hey bud, I'm the owner of the EX720 picture you posted. If you are going to use it with a PC (which was my primary usage as well), the refresh rate IS important.

Unless you are just using it to read the interwebs, you will appreciate the refresh rate increase. I highly recommend getting at the very least, something with 120hz, if not 240hz.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataDay View Post

Hey bud, I'm the owner of the EX720 picture you posted. If you are going to use it with a PC (which was my primary usage as well), the refresh rate IS important.

Unless you are just using it to read the interwebs, you will appreciate the refresh rate increase. I highly recommend getting at the very least, something with 120hz, if not 240hz.

Hey DataDay,

Yes, I'll be setting up a few of these with pcs, but I'm not going to use them, these are for my parents. They'll mostly use these for skype and and light browsing.

That said, I'm assuming we're talking about true 120hz and not interpolation? You actually have 120hz as an option in the gpu control panel settings? Where do you find the 120hz noticeably better when compared to 60hz? I'm assuming there's no difference when watching regular web video content?
post #13 of 13 Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

i have planned to buy sony 46EX520 by considering the price,screen size and all the other features...but still i have some doubts..its screen refresh rate is 60hz so did u see any noticeable screen tearing or bluring effects when u play some fast moving scenes and bluray videos?...and also since its has a big screen when you play videos particularly low quality video sources such as satelite dishtv dvd quality TV channels(not the hd TVchannels)..and normal youtube videos in full screen did u see any cracking on the screen? because i need to make sure how X-Reality engine works for the low quality video sources.except that how is the look of the tv is look very stylish ? me...and do you feel that 46" is huge enough..bcos currently i have 32" samsung lcd so i am going to replace it ....pls help me for these questions..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl46ex520 46 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page