Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3074 Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas Schaal View Post

Yeah...The AVS Forums are now officially WORTHLESS!

The sharpness setting is adding artificial edge enhancement to the image, thus resulting in a non-accurate picture. I can't believe I actually have to explain how edge enhancement is bad!

I think I'll just throw in my copy of DVE and do it myself. All of you probably watch it on vivid/dynamic mode. Thanks for nothing!

yeah I think you should calibrate yourself and while you are at it you can go **** yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:

Yeah...The AVS Forums are now officially WORTHLESS!

The sharpness setting is adding artificial edge enhancement to the image, thus resulting in a non-accurate picture. I can't believe I actually have to explain how edge enhancement is bad!

I think I'll just throw in my copy of DVE and do it myself. All of you probably watch it on vivid/dynamic mode. Thanks for nothing!

I bought a calibration dvd and calibrated my set (new to HDTV, first time ever doing this). I got to the part where you adjust the sharpness and sure enough the test pattern looked best when sharpness was at Zero. I started to watch the set and the picture seemed too soft to my (and my wife's) eyes. So I adjusted the sharpness up to 50% and we both agreed that the picture looked good. Now what is more important... having a set that the calibration tool says is perfectly calibrated or having a set that you and your eyes are happy with. With experience I've come full circle on this. My eyes now win over the calibration tool.

Also remember, our eyes are all different, our preferences are all different and the sets are all different. One person might like the backlight at 8 and another likes it at 16... they are both right.
post #543 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFamily View Post

Brand new to the forums here, I have been reading avidly the last few days. We purchased a new UN46D6420 from BB, which I've learned is the same as 6400 with a few apps. My husband is setting it up now, and I would like to see if anyone would share their calibrations. I had purchased the calibration plan to have someone come out and calibrate it, but have learned here that it is very possible to save that 200 dollars and do it ourselves.

I'm aware of the clouding and flashlighting, but hoping for the best. Will exchange if too bad.

Any other tricks or tips on calibration, 3D, bluray (will be using Playstation)?

Thanks!

I have the same TV (from BB) and use the cnet settings here:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_10...l?tag=mncol;5f

You can try starting with this....let me know what you think.
post #544 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampar View Post

yeah I think you should calibrate yourself and while you are at it you can go **** yourself.

What you said is the equivalent of asking if you can get a 1080p signal from a yellow composite video cable. Way beyond moronic.

Sharpness, dynamic contrast, edge enhancement, digital noise filters, auto motion modes, all of that **** should be set to zero or off on every HDTV. We're talking basics here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

I bought a calibration dvd and calibrated my set (new to HDTV, first time ever doing this). I got to the part where you adjust the sharpness and sure enough the test pattern looked best when sharpness was at Zero. I started to watch the set and the picture seemed too soft to my (and my wife's) eyes. So I adjusted the sharpness up to 50% and we both agreed that the picture looked good. Now what is more important... having a set that the calibration tool says is perfectly calibrated or having a set that you and your eyes are happy with. With experience I've come full circle on this. My eyes now win over the calibration tool.

Also remember, our eyes are all different, our preferences are all different and the sets are all different. One person might like the backlight at 8 and another likes it at 16... they are both right.

Unfortunately, you couldn't be more wrong. The main objective when designing a display is accurate black levels and a picture that is reference quality. That's impossible when you have the TV overwriting the source signal with programs made to appeal to mouth breathers at Best Buy. Having your display calibrated properly with the conditions of your room (which should be nearly black at all times) will ensure that the image shown is accurate and the best you can get. It has nothing to do with preference. Some people prefer to put mayonnaise on a pastrami sandwich, doesn't mean you should.
post #545 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 10:04 AM

So if you already know everything why are you asking people and then berating the whole of AVS? Sheesh.

Besides you could've just looked at other peoples' settings on here and simply turned the sharpness down to 0 on your own set; so you hate sharpness, but many of the settings listed here have accurate backlight/contrast/brightness.
post #546 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM

I like the Sharpness turned on, about to 45. Makes the on-screen Guide look clearer. Dammit it's my choice!
post #547 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

So if you already know everything why are you asking people and then berating the whole of AVS? Sheesh.

Besides you could've just looked at other peoples' settings on here and simply turned the sharpness down to 0 on your own set; so you hate sharpness, but many of the settings listed here have accurate backlight/contrast/brightness.

Chances are, if they recommend sharpness and other features synonymous with low level cognitive skills, they can't be trusted at all.

The integrity of the AVS Forums is at question when users start recommending artificial edge enhancement. What's next? Pan and scan is better because it gets rid of those pesky black bars?

The point of calibrating your display is for the accurate presentation of your source components. Once you have the set alter the signal, it becomes worthless.
post #548 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 11:21 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoFamily View Post

Brand new to the forums here, I have been reading avidly the last few days. We purchased a new UN46D6420 from BB, which I've learned is the same as 6400 with a few apps. My husband is setting it up now, and I would like to see if anyone would share their calibrations. I had purchased the calibration plan to have someone come out and calibrate it, but have learned here that it is very possible to save that 200 dollars and do it ourselves.

I'm aware of the clouding and flashlighting, but hoping for the best. Will exchange if too bad.

Any other tricks or tips on calibration, 3D, bluray (will be using Playstation)?

Thanks!

The fact that there are few posts in this thread means most folks are probably satisfied with their sets. You might be too.

Set it to Movie Mode for evening viewing and see how you like it. If it's too bright, set the Backlight to 50% of the maximum, which will probably be around 10 on these sets. Watch it for an evening and adjust. Write down the settings you change. Next, you might adjust Brightness which sets the black level. Set it as low as you can without losing detail in dark scenes. Next, set Contrast to adjust white level. Turn off Edge Enhancement, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, Dynamic Contrast, and other processing features that usually do more harm than good. You're done.

Another poster pointed you to CNET's settings. If you notice, the suggestions above have all been implemented in those settings.

You certainly could save the $200 and do a "general calibration" by renting a blu ray that has the THX calibration feature with test patterns. I believe Pearl Harbor has it. Or buy one of the calibration blu rays. Or download the AVS calibration blu ray. A "Full calibration" would have to be done by a pro with special equipment and would cost much more. It would allow him to adjust the Color Management System, tinkering with the R, G, and B settings, etc.

Let us know how it goes.
post #549 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:

Chances are, if they recommend sharpness and other features synonymous with low level cognitive skills, they can't be trusted at all.

The integrity of the AVS Forums is at question when users start recommending artificial edge enhancement. What's next? Pan and scan is better because it gets rid of those pesky black bars?

The point of calibrating your display is for the accurate presentation of your source components. Once you have the set alter the signal, it becomes worthless.

Are you actually telling us that Video Processors from Anchor Bay Tech, Lumagen and others are inferior to what you suggest and that they have no place in tweaking edge's, picture noise, compression artifacts or refining PQ and that all those Videophiles/Professionals that pay in the thousands for these products are wasting their money and your settings to ZERO are the target?

Go tell it to the real AV Mensa Pro's in the Video Processor threads and see what they have to say back - setting these to zero is hardly a calibration and insulting people for setting towards their OWN preference leads most to think your arrogant as all hell - personal preference has earned and paid for by that owner and I say screw everyone else that interferes with personal preference and how they spend their money or set their damn TV.

Now as to this D6000. I own last years C6400 55" and it's a secondary TV for the wife and she loves it and I have repeatedly viewed this D6000 for weeks on a wall of all budget panels along with Panny Plasma's, Vizio's, Sony lower end and the D6000 owns the wall providing a day/night better PQ versus all it's budget competition at Target and so for it's budget audience that is the lower cost version it reigns supreme for alot less money than the D8000 but I must admit the Panny plasma made a great mirror as I stood below it that I could comb my hair in but the Samsung destroyed it with the bright lights of Target Video displays and while the Samsung can present some reflections the damn Plasma was a non-stop mirror. Were I in the market for a budget model with higher end PQ I would consider the D6000 easily but for now my market is the 65" HX929 and the High end Sharp 70" when it debuts in a few months.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #550 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 11:53 AM

I just found the AVS forum this weekend and was so excited to start learning about these things. I knew pretty much nothing, I had relied on my husband on all tvs before this one. I didn't even know the difference between LED, LCD and Plasma. Did this make me a moron, mean that I have low cognitive skills or can't be trusted at all? Of course not, it means I am here to learn and thought the experts around here are great resources and willing to share. I also liked the train of thought of many of the people on here that there are general calibration rules, but it really all comes down to the eye of the beholder.

Maybe it does make me a moron though replying to comments made by Nikolas? Come on Nikolas, I am sure you are a smart guy with lots to share, why berate someone like Rampar when he is obviously new here (like me) and just wants to learn.

Thanks dfp and willjay for the information on my question about my new 6420. I will let you know how it goes and really appreciate your help.
Thanks!
Lynn
post #551 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Hi Westa6969, This set is actually for the grandkids. We are putting it in a room that has a lot of light. I really didn't want to spend very much for that room, as it is only used as a playroom most of the time. I have a much bigger tv in our bedroom and for my husband's viewing pleasure he has a Pioneer Elite Plasma.

We hooked the new one up last night just to cable, and it looks great! I can see no problems with flashlighting or clouding. We have not done any setup for the internet, playstation, or looked at calibration. So far I am in love with it!
Lynn
post #552 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Are you actually telling us that Video Processors from Anchor Bay Tech, Lumagen and others are inferior to what you suggest and that they have no place in tweaking edge's, picture noise, compression artifacts or refining PQ and that all those Videophiles/Professionals that pay in the thousands for these products are wasting their money and your settings to ZERO are the target?

Go tell it to the real AV Mensa Pro's in the Video Processor threads and see what they have to say back - setting these to zero is hardly a calibration and insulting people for setting towards their OWN preference leads most to think your arrogant as all hell - personal preference has earned and paid for by that owner and I say screw everyone else that interferes with personal preference and how they spend their money or set their damn TV.

Now as to this D6000. I own last years C6400 55" and it's a secondary TV for the wife and she loves it and I have repeatedly viewed this D6000 for weeks on a wall of all budget panels along with Panny Plasma's, Vizio's, Sony lower end and the D6000 owns the wall providing a day/night better PQ versus all it's budget competition at Target and so for it's budget audience that is the lower cost version it reigns supreme for alot less money than the D8000 but I must admit the Panny plasma made a great mirror as I stood below it that I could comb my hair in but the Samsung destroyed it with the bright lights of Target Video displays and while the Samsung can present some reflections the damn Plasma was a non-stop mirror. Were I in the market for a budget model with higher end PQ I would consider the D6000 easily but for now my market is the 65" HX929 and the High end Sharp 70" when it debuts in a few months.

If you're having problems with picture noise and compression artifacts, you aren't doing any good adding more artificial noise to the image with the sharpness setting. The setting is adding artificial artifacts and contouring to the original signal. Your display should be optimally set with the entire original bandwidth of the signal in mind. If the signal is bad, perhaps you need better components. The minimal sharpness setting is almost always better, and on the Samsung that is zero. Personal preference shouldn't interfere with true image quality.

You don't go to Katz's Deli and order a pastrami sandwich on wonder bread with extra mayo. That may be someone's personal preference, but that preference is just plain wrong.

I purchased a 32 inch D6000 for a kitchen in my home and the ONLY reason why I got it was because of how slim it was. If you ask me, LED backlit technology sucks. Black levels are horrible compared to plasmas. I have a Panasonic TH-65PF20U Pro-Plasma display as my main television and a Runco projector in my basement. You are talking to a true videophile. All I wanted were the calibration settings for a ****** LED TV in my kitchen, but I guess even that is too much to ask for. If you are using a Samsung LED TV for your main display, perhaps you should be more concerned with earning more than minimum wage.
post #553 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:

You are talking to a true videophile.

haha. Seriously, who is going to help someone with your attitude. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Best you bugger off to the videophile forum and leave the rest of us to discuss our crap LED tv's.

Thats enough out of me regarding this matter.
post #554 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampar View Post

haha. Seriously, who is going to help someone with your attitude. I wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Best you bugger off to the videophile forum and leave the rest of us to discuss our crap led tv's.

rofl
post #555 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 04:48 PM

Please anyone, I know to the wise here this may be a stupid question but nobody replied to it so i'll ask it again. Same TV at two different stores here in my area are advertising the Samsung LED 55" 6000 with two different part numbers: UN55D6000SFXZC and UN55D6000SFXZA. What is the difference in the two or is there a difference at all in the two TV's ?
post #556 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:

If you're having problems with picture noise and compression artifacts, you aren't doing any good adding more artificial noise to the image with the sharpness setting. The setting is adding artificial artifacts and contouring to the original signal. Your display should be optimally set with the entire original bandwidth of the signal in mind. If the signal is bad, perhaps you need better components. The minimal sharpness setting is almost always better, and on the Samsung that is zero. Personal preference shouldn't interfere with true image quality.

You don't go to Katz's Deli and order a pastrami sandwich on wonder bread with extra mayo. That may be someone's personal preference, but that preference is just plain wrong.

I purchased a 32 inch D6000 for a kitchen in my home and the ONLY reason why I got it was because of how slim it was. If you ask me, LED backlit technology sucks. Black levels are horrible compared to plasmas. I have a Panasonic TH-65PF20U Pro-Plasma display as my main television and a Runco projector in my basement. You are talking to a true videophile. All I wanted were the calibration settings for a ****** LED TV in my kitchen, but I guess even that is too much to ask for. If you are using a Samsung LED TV for your main display, perhaps you should be more concerned with earning more than minimum wage.

I don't post much, but after seeing this kind of BS I just couldn't stop.
1) A true videophile wouldn't buy a crappy Samsung even for his kitchen. So why don't you return it and just STFU.
2) A true videophile wouldn't ask for settings, he would pay somebody to calibrate it or do it himself.
3) A true videophile wouldn't buy a television based on thickness, it's like buying a smaller car just because it fits in your garage.

Seriously though, I hope you are just trolling, because if you are not, you are just a stuck up idiot with a big mouth.
post #557 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 06:58 PM

I would have gladly paid more for a plasma in my kitchen, unfortunately only a slim 32 inch LED would fit where I wanted the display mounted. I currently have the display on a lift inside my countertop. A thicker plasma would require me to get the countertop re-cut. Not an easy thing to do with granite. These contractors are below human filth. But that's another story.

I find it completely disgusting that users are defending using the sharpness setting when it has been universally agreed upon that you should have it set to zero. I guess people like Joe Kane has little to no clout with Walmart/blue light special shoppers. A real race to the bottom if you ask me. Hell, the AVS forums still have an HD-DVD thread! Is there a place where I can talk about my laserdiscs as well?

AVS used to be a convenient resource for videophiles and audiophiles. Now it's filled with people satisfied with mediocrity. Oh and guess what, audiophiles and videophiles are stuck up @ssholes, get used to it. It's just the way of the universe.
post #558 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM

well this forum has been no help. Cheers!!
post #559 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nikolas, you appear to be one arrogant POS!!! Now bugger off.
post #560 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Cool it guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #561 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palotz View Post

Please anyone, I know to the wise here this may be a stupid question but nobody replied to it so i'll ask it again. Same TV at two different stores here in my area are advertising the Samsung LED 55" 6000 with two different part numbers: UN55D6000SFXZC and UN55D6000SFXZA. What is the difference in the two or is there a difference at all in the two TV's ?

From what I can tell, the SFXZ(C or A) is just the model number, not the model type. There is only one UN55D6000 series set. Samsung must differentiate the model type for some reason unknown to me. I do know that they sell the UN55D6000 in a bundle with a Blu-ray player and Linkstick.

The differences between the UN55D6000 and the UN55B6000 are quite different (5,000,000:1 vs 3,000,000:1 contrast, Smart TV, red bezel).
post #562 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 09:10 PM

I feel the thread is being to hard on mr schaal he obviously was beaten and abused as a child for colouring out side of the lines in his colouring books and to his credit has become obsessed with the"rules and the way thlngs are "suppose to be.ever since. Its obvious with his. Constant reference to pastrami and mayo he knows of what he speaks. And l would suggest we temper our collective knowledge with humility thereby gaing wisdom.in understanding his unique if not pathetic sense of superior humor. Perhaps for/in respect we should give him his sig heil.. and his patterns and rules are very very important to him to teach the rest of us video Nirvana? Benifit of the doubt community? ?
post #563 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21grams View Post

I feel the thread is being to hard on mr schaal he obviously was beaten and abused as a child for colouring out side of the lines in his colouring books and to his credit has become obsessed with the"rules and the way thlngs are "suppose to be.ever since. Its obvious with his. Constant reference to pastrami and mayo he knows of what he speaks. And l would suggest we temper our collective knowledge with humility thereby gaing wisdom.in understanding his unique if not pathetic sense of superior humor. Perhaps for/in respect we should give him his sig heil.. and his patterns and rules are very very important to him to teach the rest of us video Nirvana? Benifit of the doubt community? ?

Considering my grandfather was a survivor, I find that highly offensive.
post #564 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Considering my grandfather was a survivor, I find that highly offensive.

How about the fact that we find you highly offensive, huh?
post #565 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandaroy View Post

How about the fact that we find you highly offensive, huh?

If I'm not mistaken, this is a thread about the UNXXD6000 series of Samsung LED backlit LCD TV's.
post #566 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM

God bless your grandfather and what he endured.. I bow in respect ..truley .. as for. you.. if l caused you anguish I'm also sorry. You ..were poking.. people poke back ..mirrors are often ugly..perhaps your words only ...don't hurt others? Again not for others reading this but for your grandfather i am saddened and to be honest a little sickened that you would use this in this context ..as I to could reference personal sorrows too.. such is leverage l suppose .everyone knows what I should say now in honor and respect to your Grandfather but I wont. I suspect you already know too?
post #567 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj21grams View Post

God bless your grandfather and what he endured.. I bow in respect ..truley .. as for. you.. if l caused you anguish I'm also sorry. You ..were poking.. people poke back ..mirrors are often ugly..perhaps your words only ...don't hurt others? Again not for others reading this but for your grandfather i am saddened and to be honest a little sickened that you would use this in this context ..as I to could reference personal sorrows too.. such is leverage l suppose .everyone knows what I should say now in honor and respect to your Grandfather but I wont. I suspect you already know too?

This is just a thread for a flat screen TV, I think we can all agree that things quickly got out of hand. The topic of the holocaust is a very personal one and is something my family and I live with on a daily basis. There isn't a day that goes by that I forget what my grandfather had to endure. I think you can understand how I can be sensitive to references to Nazi Germany.

If I offended anyone, I apologize. But sometimes humor on the internet can be lost in digital translation. My harshness was simply to show how strongly I feel about proper display calibration, that's all. I think it would be best if we simply discuss the Samsung UNXXD6000 instead of opting for personal attacks and racially sensitive areas. Thanks.
post #568 of 3074 Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 PM

..L'Chaim..
post #569 of 3074 Old 06-16-2011, 12:38 AM

I don't no why you would turn all those features ur tv comes with off. Mite not be a 100 percent accurate picture but the features make the view way more vibrant and appealing to watch, not like real life dull and plain your watching a tv ppl you want to look at it and so Wow!!!!! And were all the settings being posted for the 6000 Sammy everyone's just arguing
post #570 of 3074 Old 06-16-2011, 01:50 AM

1+ ... choice is visual preference sometimes the vibrant, colorful, pop of contrast against that deep lnky black ..you can almost feel the picture at least l do..and sometimes for me it draws me right into the film like when I was growing up you'd be a character in the story you were reading. I feel the samsung 6000 series I have adjusted and viewed has this pop and quality to draw you into the drama( if you.squint real hard lol)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page