Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3071 Old 07-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for some advice around the clouding I am seeing. I can only see this in a dark room and with certain dark scenes. The first picture is my HTPC using a black background and the clouding is clearly visible (but this scenario may not reflect real world viewing). The second picture is a movie with RED credits and the clouding is still there but less visible. Finally, the last image is with WHITE credits and there is absolutely no clouding. I've tried lowering the backlight and while it helps a little, the clouding is still there and I'm not willing to deal with the picture quality using the lower backlight levels. While most of my viewing does not see any clouding (really only at night with dark scenes), would you swap out this TV for another knowing that you might end up with one that has worse clouding. This is a 60" D6400. Thoughts.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3071 Old 07-02-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post

I'm looking for some advice around the clouding I am seeing. I can only see this in a dark room and with certain dark scenes. The first picture is my HTPC using a black background and the clouding is clearly visible (but this scenario may not reflect real world viewing). The second picture is a movie with RED credits and the clouding is still there but less visible. Finally, the last image is with WHITE credits and there is absolutely no clouding. I've tried lowering the backlight and while it helps a little, the clouding is still there and I'm not willing to deal with the picture quality using the lower backlight levels. While most of my viewing does not see any clouding (really only at night with dark scenes), would you swap out this TV for another knowing that you might end up with one that has worse clouding. This is a 60" D6400. Thoughts.

I have the 55 D6400 and also have clouding (on the right side). What is your backlight set to? Unfortunately I think they all have some clouding. I swapped mine out several times and they all had it. It seems to be the nature of LED. My old Samsung with CCFL backlighting never had clouding.
post #633 of 3071 Old 07-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtiner View Post

I've just moved here from the LNXXC650 thread..... got a UN46D6000.
I bought the C650 last March and was disappointed by horizontal and vertical banding. /SNIP/
Anyway, Samsung sent a replacement for the replacement, and I lucked out. No clouding, and no banding or corner flashlights.

Boy, did I speak too soon. I based my comments on a quick check of off air material.
I watched Star Trek with the kids last night (4:3) and there were severe clouding issues on three areas of the screen.
I checked a brand new 46D6300 that just arrived at work, and it's
got clouding as severe as mine and in the same spots. I give up.
post #634 of 3071 Old 07-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insimbi View Post

I have the 55 D6400 and also have clouding (on the right side). What is your backlight set to? Unfortunately I think they all have some clouding. I swapped mine out several times and they all had it. It seems to be the nature of LED. My old Samsung with CCFL backlighting never had clouding.

I have my backlight set to 15 (yes, I have torch eyes) but even when I brought it down to 5, the clouding was still visible (see the picture below). While it got better, watching anything with the backlight at 5 is just not acceptable and that was the only point I was able to see a drastic difference in the clouding. Seems like it's just in the nature of LED. Any other comments?
LL
post #635 of 3071 Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostile View Post

Picked up a 6450 from BJs on Saturday.
As for other sources- it was freaky when we first fired it up, blu-rays and OTA HD all had the soap opera effect. I finally found the settings to disable and everything is back to "normal" and the picture is still great.

I just hooked up the same set for my Father in Law yesterday and with playing with it a little - I noticed the same weird effect - you say you found some settings to make this go away - would you mind if you shared those settings so I can fix his ?

Thanks in advance >?

BTW - for the brief time I watched the set - I thought the picture was amazing.
post #636 of 3071 Old 07-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
just got the 6400@ Fry's. yes, out of the box, i see the 'SOE' too, i would also like to know what tweak u did to get rid of it.

also, is there anyway to adjust 3d picture when viewing 3d? i pulled up 'VUDU' & was viewing various 3d demos, but picture is too bright. i know on LG u can hit the q. menu. does samsung have something comparable?
post #637 of 3071 Old 07-03-2011, 03:26 PM

Hi all,

I'm new here. I am planning to buy the UN55D6300 and I want to know if the web browser function lets me to browse any internet website as I would be able to like a computer, or is it limited to certain websites by Samsung?

Thanks in advance,

dtwlam
post #638 of 3071 Old 07-03-2011, 05:26 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhraracing View Post

I just hooked up the same set for my Father in Law yesterday and with playing with it a little - I noticed the same weird effect - you say you found some settings to make this go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

just got the 6400@ Fry's. yes, out of the box, i see the 'SOE' too, i would also like to know what tweak u did to get rid of it. ...

Go into Auto Motion Plus, find the "custom" setting and set Judder to 0 and Blur to 10.
post #639 of 3071 Old 07-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Go into Auto Motion Plus, find the "custom" setting and set Judder to 0 and Blur to 10.

I have a reference pan scene, from the movie RED(time stamp=4:05-4:28), and when i try your settings it fails the test. It's all judder and makes you want to FF through the scene. Only standard or smooth works on this particular panning scene.
post #640 of 3071 Old 07-04-2011, 10:01 AM

Seems like the same old story, a lot of unhappy customers with edge lit LEDs

Nice to see that Samy just ignores all the problems from previous models.

I will not buy a LED edge lit tv till it's resolved.

Since they don't make a 55" model with CCFL back light, Goodbye Samsung!
post #641 of 3071 Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

I have a reference pan scene, from the movie RED(time stamp=4:05-4:28), and when i try your settings it fails the test. It's all judder and makes you want to FF through the scene. Only standard or smooth works on this particular panning scene.

Those settings are the general recommendation on the Forum for SOE on these new models. My 52A860 is 3 years old and doesn't separate Blur and Judder in the AMP setting. Since Standard and Smooth work on this scene, possibly tinkering with different blur and judder numbers, keeping one constant, might yield a better combination for general viewing. How about some owners jumping in.
post #642 of 3071 Old 07-04-2011, 09:56 PM

New firmware 1015 out for the 64xx series.

Samsung UN55D6400, Comcast HD DVR, Infinity TSS-1200 speakers, Pioneer VSX-1120k
post #643 of 3071 Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 AM

That's great, but does anyone know what's in the update? Is there somewhere on the Samsung web site where they list what's fixed in the updates they send out?
post #644 of 3071 Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 AM

As I was looking at the clear bezel on my 6400 the other day, I noticed beneath that there was some material that looks to be folder over and sticking out. It's only on the right side top corner. It's as if during the manufacturing the bezel caused the gray material to fold over. From what I can tell, the LCD screen is "wrapped" in a gray material of some sort, then the clear bezel is around it.
My question is this... is there a way to remove the clear bezel and just fold this material back like it was intended? I know this probably sounds OCD, but it's annoying to look at now that I've noticed it. Anyone have any idea? Has anyone disassembled the 6400?
post #645 of 3071 Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Guys, I have just finished reading this entire thread, and there a few points of concern I'm hoping some of you can address for me.

I just purchased a UN46D6420UF, which is a Best Buy exclusive version of the 6400. There are a few things I am wondering:

1) I have read conflicting facts about the optical audio output. If I feed a source with 5.1 surround via HDMI into the tv, and I have an optical cable connecting the tv to my receiver's optical input, will the tv output 5.1 surround through the optical cable or only 2.0? And does this apply to AC3 only or DTS also? I saw somebody quote a Samsung rep that said it will output 5.1 and then in the manual it seems to say that it will only output 2.0 (which would be very lame imo).

2) This is related to the above question - can I expect audio sync issues if I have video processing options on and have the audio going directly from the source (like a Blu-ray player) to my receiver?

3) One other thing - I would like to do some pc gaming on this set using my wireless keyboard and mouse. I understand that there is a game mode that should improve lag, but at the cost of picture quality. If I leave processing on like Auto Motion Plus while gaming with game mode off, is the lag unplayable? And how bad can I expect the game mode to be?

My first feelings on this set - I am going from an old crappy Sansui CRT to this set, so it looks pretty amazing to me. However, I was very disappointed when I started to notice choppiness and studdering almost immediately on some cable channels (I have Fios). Other channels looked far better but some HD channels were unwatchable due to the studder. I then started messing with the Auto Motion Plus which introduced the "soap opera effect". Which I cannot stand for film sources. It's fine for sports. After setting it to "smooth" I think I might be able to live with it - I'll be watching some stuff tonight so I'll see how different channels look.
post #646 of 3071 Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prawn_sandwich View Post

New firmware 1015 out for the 64xx series.

just my $.02

i only use my 46D6050 via HDMI input 1 from receiver from HTPC.

In the PICTURE OPTIONS set the HDMI Black Level to "Low"

Using firmware 1015, this had alleviated all my flashlighting and all my clouding. Its actually a beautiful picture now.

try it and let me know how it turns out for you folks.
post #647 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

does the 6400 support Skype?
post #648 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, after watching some various channels with the Auto Motion Plus set to smooth, as suggested, I gotta say that I still can't find this "artificial" motion tolerable. This is very frustrating because I'm about ready at this point to give up completely. I never had any of these frustrating issues with my old CRT, and even though it was a piece of crap, low-end CRT, it had no motion issues whatsoever. Sure, it was only standard definition, and it had all the drawbacks you would expect of a crappy low-end CRT, but I ENJOYED watching it. I don't know that I can do that with these LED sets.

I just can't stand the horrible "soap opera effect" - and I can't understand how anybody thinks it is actually an "improvement" to the look of film. It is driving me nuts, even set to smooth, and my only other option is to turn it off completely and then it is still unwatchable because many HD channels are unacceptably choppy without it enabled. My crappy CRT always had smooth film-like motion, without any drawbacks. I know that NTSC had it's problems, but I'll take the motion of my CRT any day over what this Samsung is giving me.

So at this point I'm very depressed about these sets. Is it bright? Sure, in fact way way brighter than necessary. Does it have nice color and razor-sharp HD images? Sure, it looks great when I watch sports channels. Except - I don't watch sports. I watch movies and tv shows, most of which are totally ruined by the "soap opera effect" or the studdering or any combination of the two. If this set was a couple hundred dollars, I could understand making sacrifices. But not for a thousand dollar tv. I can't afford this to begin with and neither can my girlfriend - we had to do the 36-month payment thing to even consider it. But I figured, why spend $500 or $600 and not like the set, might as well spend a bit more and get a tv we will love. I am simply amazed that even on a $1,200+ tv people are expected to put up with intolerable motion issues that we never had to deal with before, just to enjoy a sharper picture. TBS HD is completely unwatchable the studdering and skipping is so bad. It's like the image is having a seizure. TNT HD is just as bad. And many others also.

I will say I was impressed with the 3D - I only tested one quick .ts file from a USB stick so far, but it looked amazing in 3D. But I just don't know if I can put up with the motion issues of these sets. I'm really trying to like this tv, but it just ain't working. Plus there's clouding and flashlighting also. Can I ignore it? Probably, but just how many different image flaws are we expected to "deal with" just to have a nice big sharp picture? And I haven't even begun to set up my surround yet. I can't imagine how much fun that will be with getting the sound to sync up.

As a side note, current plasma sets aren't even an option either since they are toally, completely ruined by the auto brightness limiters that are in all the current sets. I watched some in various stores and I would go with a plasma in a second if it wasn't for the fact that anytime there's white on the screen it dims by 70%.
post #649 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 12:34 PM

I purchased the 6420 model from Best Buy about 2 weeks ago. I understand your frustration with the skipping, but mine is only on the ESPN channels, not the TBS, TNT channels, or any other that I've noticed thus far.

I'm wondering if it is your cable/dish provider and not the television. I use directv.

I don't think this is an excuse for the Samsung television as during football season the slight skip every 5 or so seconds may send me over the edge.

Do other manufacturers experience this? I'd rather not continue swapping out for the same results.
post #650 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I now have gone through two units of the 55D6300 and both are plagued with horizontal and vertical banding. It is not egregious but definitely noticeable. Most noticeable while watching sports where the camera pans across the green field. Also noticed from time to time in other programs whenever there is a gray or light background.

Anyone bothered by this? Why is it so tough to find a decent set?
post #651 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 01:09 PM

WOW I dont understand how this tv is in the top ranked on CNET. This tv was my front runner untill I came to this thread. This is the most brutal thread on this site when it comes to any tv. I selected and read random pages out of the 22 and I came across not 1 single positive review. Its just negative problems one after another. Usually you find ppl bragging about there new tv and how great it is but not in this case. Now I have no idea what to do. Is there not a single happy owner?
post #652 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Please keep in mind also that I'm not by any means an "expert" or authority on judging these tvs. But I have always been very picky when it comes to picture quality, and I know what looks good to me. there's nothing worse than when i visit my girlfriend's relative's house because I see their HDTV in vivid mode with color saturation cranked up close to max and the aspect ration incorrect and I have to bite my tongue not to go nuts.

I am also wondering like RedStick if my Fios tv may be contributing to the the juddering on some channels. Maybe the Fios set top box is doing something wonky with the signals. But still, the tv should be able to handle what's fed to it I would think. That certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

I am trying to experiment with the auto motion plus some more. Right now I have it set to "clear", not "smooth", and I swear it seems to be doing a better job than "smooth" as far as helping to eliminate judder while not keeping the "soap opera effect" to a minimum. I'll be doing some more experimenting to see if I can come up with something I can tolerate. I do want to like this set, but it's a challenge. The thing is, I'm not sure any other manufacturers offer anything better. This motion issue seems to be a problem with all LED/LCD tvs from what I understand. Maybe another manufacturer has better ways of compensating for it though, I don't know. I love the feature set with the 6420 but it seems like so many hurdles to overcome.

Has anybody noticed how the lag is for the 6420 while gaming? I did a very brief run with an old-style vertical shooter using both my wireless controller and also the mouse, and I noticed virtually no lag. I tried it in game and regular modes. The instant I fired my weapons it fired, no lag that I could see. Maybe it would be more pronounced playing first person shooters?

The flashlighting in the corners is another thing that's eating away at me. I haven't had a chance yet to view it at night in the dark, but I can already see that it's certainly there to some degree.
post #653 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastinc View Post

WOW I dont understand how this tv is in the top ranked on CNET. This tv was my front runner untill I came to this thread. This is the most brutal thread on this site when it comes to any tv. I selected and read random pages out of the 22 and I came across not 1 single positive review. Its just negative problems one after another. Usually you find ppl bragging about there new tv and how great it is but not in this case. Now I have no idea what to do. Is there not a single happy owner?

I'm extremely happy with mine after further tweaking and breaking it in, I'm one of the unhappy previous posters as well. It did however take returning a couple sets as with just about all displays it's your luck of the draw on how bad clouding and/or flashlighting is. I think the tv overall is great. The blacks are very nice and crisp, colors are vibrant and pop after further calibrating. There isnt any banding on my set noticed it slightly maybe one time though could have been source. Also using clear or smooth on AMP forget which one there's no longer any juddder or blurring.

I also game on the set and while there's others like Sharp that may be slightly better as far as response time this set is actually pretty good IMO. I play a lot of COD and NBA 2k and as with my old tv you'd be able to notice lag right away as when shooting and shot stick timing shooting free throws etc it passes the test I've been kicking butt... it's worth noting though you do need Game Mode enabled or there is noticeable lag.

Overall very happy after owning more than a few months: 8/10
post #654 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

All of my comments have been regarding viewing Fios tv content. Well I decided to play some blu-Ray and DVD material to see how well it did.

Right now I do not have a DVD player as my Pioneer has proven that it cannot upscale DVD through HDMI without flipping out. Also, I don't have a blu-ray player yet, since this is my first HDTV and I had no reason to own one before now. However, I do have a blu-ray drive on my pc which is connected to the tv via HDMI 1.4, so this is what I used to play some discs.

I only had a short amount of time to play a few things. First I popped in my Close Encounters blu-ray, and I was instantly amazed. The image was spectacular, and the motion had no issues that I could see. The auto motion plus was completely off the whole time. The motion was very film-like. No complaints.

Then I popped in my Space:1999 blu-ray. Again, just incredible. Very smooth motion, not a hiccup to be found, and no "soap opera effect". Again, auto motion plus was off.

Then I tried my Buck Rogers DVD (yeah I know, I'm a 70's sci-fi geek). I was expecting lots of juddering, but to my surprise, it looked amazing for a DVD. I really didn't think DVD would look so good on a 46" screen, but it really did. And no motion issues! Very film-like motion. Once again, I had the auto motion plus turned completely off, and there was no stuttering effect at all. The motion was beautiful and consistent. No "soap opera effect" because I didn't need to engage the auto motion plus.

I turned it back to regular tv, and instantly, yuck! Stuttering channels, "soap opera", just as bad as I've been seeing. So it seems that maybe dvd and blu-ray sources are handled much better with motion than HDTV. Which is too bad. On the one hand, the discs all looked amazing. On the other hand, I find watching Fios very annoying. I also don't know how a stand-alone player would handle things, but I can definitely say the software I used to play the discs, which does DVD up-conversion, looked awesome.

Also, I'm really noticing the flashlighting, especially in the bottom-left corner. And I'm seeing some clouding around that same area. I really hate to have to pack it back up and do an exchange, especially if I'm not even sure that I want to keep it anyways. But if I could get rid of some of this flashlighting it would certainly be a plus.
post #655 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Has anyone tried to upgrade their firmware on a 46UN6000D to version 1015 from 1012 via wireless connection. The Samsung website has the new version available but when I go to the support menu and try to upgrade, the message displays no new software to upgrade to.

Any comment?
post #656 of 3071 Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplain View Post

Has anyone tried to upgrade their firmware on a 46UN6000D to version 1015 from 1012 via wireless connection. The Samsung website has the new version available but when I go to the support menu and try to upgrade, the message displays no new software to upgrade to.

Any comment?

I saw that too. I actually downloaded it to my usb flash drive to do the upgrade and it worked flawlessly.
post #657 of 3071 Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 AM

I just purchased...

The Samsung 466240 it came with a Samsung 3d Blu Ray, 2 Battery Powered Glass, Shrek 1,2,3,4. I bought a PVR and a stand. The total was 2,252 after taxes. This is Canada so everything costs more.

Im going to start setting it all up now its 1:30am.
post #658 of 3071 Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 AM

I set it up and watched for 2 hours. I havent checked out the settings thread all I did was change the backlight down to 10. Its alright. I dont know if it would be considered a bad thing that I see no difference between this and my Samsung 46a650 but im so bias cause I love that tv its a beast.

3d was cool. It was my first 3d viewing experience. I watched Shrek 1 for 20 minutes and enjoyed it. When I decided to turn the lights off and watch in the dark I thought the pic wasnt as good so I turned the lights on again. But donkey was flying right out of the tv at me lol

I dont getting hitting the 3d button on reg viewing. The side by side and picture above one another can someone explain why someone would want to watch this? I watched sportscenter on side by side and it was brutal why do i wanna see the same pitcher in double screen.

When I watched 2d-3d sportscenter I wasnt even sure what I was lookin for since its not broadcast in 3d but it was nothing like shrek. I thought the baseballs would be flying out of the tv at me or something but I didnt notice much of a change at all.
post #659 of 3071 Old 07-08-2011, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Westcoast inc, the side by side and under/over modes are for 3d tv broadcast and media file playback. The common method of 3D broadcasting is side-by-side, where the laeft image and right image are broadcast literally next to each other. It is also common to find downloadable 3D videos from the internet in either side-by-side or sometimes over/under formats. If you just watch a 3D channel in 2D, or view a 3D video file in a 2D media player, you will see the left and right images side-by-side. By selecting the correct viewing method (side-by-side or under/over), the tv combines the 2 images and displays them correctly.

So it's actually a very useful feature which gives you many options for 3D viewing. When watching 3D tv broadcasts you would normally select the side-by-side method. You can also download 3D videos from the internet and play them directly from your USB stick or USB hard drive, again selecting the proper 3D format from the menu.

Also keep in mind that many 3D broadcasts can seem a bit underwhelming if you're used to 3D blu-rays. Especially sports. When you're live at a sporting event, you don't see baseballs flying at you while you're watching (at least not usually). So you won't see that in a 3D broadcast either. The point is to make you feel like you're there watching the game live, so the 3D is very subtle. It isn't like watching a movie where the 3D is effects are created specifically to leap out at you.

That being said, I have seen some excellent 3D broadcasts that really are very impressive with great 3D. Many 3D channels now air lots of shorts that are a lot of fun to watch in 3D.
post #660 of 3071 Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Westcoast inc, the side by side and under/over modes are for 3d tv broadcast and media file playback. The common method of 3D broadcasting is side-by-side, where the laeft image and right image are broadcast literally next to each other. It is also common to find downloadable 3D videos from the internet in either side-by-side or sometimes over/under formats. If you just watch a 3D channel in 2D, or view a 3D video file in a 2D media player, you will see the left and right images side-by-side. By selecting the correct viewing method (side-by-side or under/over), the tv combines the 2 images and displays them correctly.

So it's actually a very useful feature which gives you many options for 3D viewing. When watching 3D tv broadcasts you would normally select the side-by-side method. You can also download 3D videos from the internet and play them directly from your USB stick or USB hard drive, again selecting the proper 3D format from the menu.

Also keep in mind that many 3D broadcasts can seem a bit underwhelming if you're used to 3D blu-rays. Especially sports. When you're live at a sporting event, you don't see baseballs flying at you while you're watching (at least not usually). So you won't see that in a 3D broadcast either. The point is to make you feel like you're there watching the game live, so the 3D is very subtle. It isn't like watching a movie where the 3D is effects are created specifically to leap out at you.

That being said, I have seen some excellent 3D broadcasts that really are very impressive with great 3D. Many 3D channels now air lots of shorts that are a lot of fun to watch in 3D.

thank you so much, I was watching regular hd broadcasts in those modes lol, i was like what the hell is this, trying to watch CNN HD in those modes. Theres really nothing broadcast in 3d on tv right now.

I was under the belief with this tv you can turn any broadcast into 3D by hitting the 3d button on the remote control, thats the way the sales guy made it seem.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page