Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 3068 Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont know if pricing info is allowed in this thread, but if so, what prices are you guys finding the D6000 6300 or 6400 tvs for? I'm in the market for a 40-46" tv and think (at least aesthetically), these tv's look great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3068 Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

I dont know if pricing info is allowed in this thread, but if so, what prices are you guys finding the D6000 6300 or 6400 tvs for? I'm in the market for a 40-46" tv and think (at least aesthetically), these tv's look great!

I'm waiting for Costco to bring in the UN40D6050. I'm guessing it will be $799-$850 with Costco's extended warranty.
post #63 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 09:39 AM

I will be seriously looking for the clouding on the new unit once I get it up and running tonight. I swap out the 46C6400 for 55D6050. I do have a 55C6400 in another room and it is a 9.5 out of 10. I was extremely lucky to get a cloud free C6400 with extremely uniform backlighting and zero bleeding except for some tiny one around the lower left corner.
post #64 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post

I will be seriously looking for the clouding on the new unit once I get it up and running tonight. I swap out the 46C6400 for 55D6050. I do have a 55C6400 in another room and it is a 9.5 out of 10. I was extremely lucky to get a cloud free C6400 with extremely uniform backlighting and zero bleeding except for some tiny one around the lower left corner.

I look forward to your results and patiently await them....looking to get the same or similar set 55D6000 most likely by this weekend. So far from this thread clouding doesn't seem to be a issue but some did encounter flashlighting. If you look at the D7000 thread some there experienced flashlighting as well so it's not like it's specific to this model.

I wouldn't mind some minor flashlighting but on the other hand clouding not sure I'd be happy with the set then.
post #65 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 12:05 PM

Flashlighting is almost a given with these edge lit LED set. But it is not noticeable in the daytime and at night time, this TV is very bright in dark room. With any kind of ambient light, it is very hard to see the flashlighting. With a backlight level of 6-8 in pitch black room, the flashlighting should be negligible with letterbox movie and non existent with 16x9 materials. The flashlighting truly does not bother me because I can barely see it with proper setting. If you like your TV in torch mode in a dark room, then yes, it stands out like a sore thumb.

BTW, you might want to go online and check sam's club website. They have the best price so far and the 6050 comes with a free linkstick too.

4 more hours before I get home!!
post #66 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Flashlighting is almost a given with these edge lit LED set. But it is not noticeable in the daytime and at night time, this TV is very bright in dark room. With any kind of ambient light, it is very hard to see the flashlighting. With a backlight level of 6-8 in pitch black room, the flashlighting should be negligible with letterbox movie and non existent with 16x9 materials. The flashlighting truly does not bother me because I can barely see it with proper setting. If you like your TV in torch mode in a dark room, then yes, it stands out like a sore thumb.

BTW, you might want to go online and check sam's club website. They have the best price so far and the 6050 comes with a free linkstick too.

Very true I am not one of the Dynamic torch mode types on top of that I'll have my Ikea lights behind my wall mount for ambient lighting, it shouldn't bother me much. The clouding is another story so hopefully that's bearable.

Thanks for the heads up on the price will definitely have a look.
post #67 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Will you post your settings after you get it all setup?
post #68 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

Will you post your settings after you get it all setup?

Yes, I am going to leave the TV on broadcast for a couple of hours before I turn the light off and look for flaws. I want to see if clouding starts to appear after the TV warms up.

I generally leave it at the factory default "Movie" mode and turn the back light down to 6-8 when I am watching blu ray at night. I don't think my brightness ever exceed 45 and contrast is about 85. I don't like the soap opera effect so I turn off automotion. I play around with the black level and dynamic contrast but too black and you lose all details in the dark.

With the lights on or normal viewing during the daytime, I like "Natural" mode with back light level of 8-10.

Actually most of my setting are pretty close to:

Quote:

Hearrean's Calibrated Settings:

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 8
Contrast: 93
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 4
Color: 49
Tint: G50/50

Eco Solution:*
Energy Savings: Off
ECO Saver: On (Depend's upon your room's ambient light; might need to set to Off)
Min Backlight: 4
No Signal Power: Off (Your preference)*

Advanced Settings:
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Low to Medium (Your preference)
Shadow Detail: -1
Gamma: -1

Color Space: Auto

White Balance:
R-offs 28
G-offs 26
B-offs 27
R-gain 26
G-gain 20
B-gain 26

10p White Balance: Off
LED MP: On

Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Warm 2
Size: 16:9
Digital Noise Filter: Auto
Film Mode: Auto 1 (passes 3:2 cadence in 1080i sources)

post #69 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am going to leave the TV on broadcast for a couple of hours before I turn the light off and look for flaws. I want to see if clouding starts to appear after the TV warms up.

I generally leave it at the factory default "Movie" mode and turn the back light down to 6-8 when I am watching blu ray at night. I don't think my brightness ever exceed 45 and contrast is about 85. I don't like the soap opera effect so I turn off automotion. I play around with the black level and dynamic contrast but too black and you lose all details in the dark.

With the lights on or normal viewing during the daytime, I like "Natural" mode with back light level of 8-10.

Actually most of my setting are pretty close to:

Man I don't see have you have your backlight so low.To each his own but I have mine at 15 and any lower looks bad.You should not have to turn any setting anywhere to accommodate defects tho ! I can see my flash lighting in the daytime pretty easy not the clouding so much but corner bleed is right there.
post #70 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post

Man I don't see have you have your backlight so low.To each his own but I have mine at 15 and any lower looks bad.You should not have to turn any setting anywhere to accommodate defects tho ! I can see my flash lighting in the daytime pretty easy not the clouding so much but corner bleed is right there.

Actually I am not lowering the backlight to compensate for defect. A backlight level of 8 is a bit bright for me in a pitch black room! I used to like natural mode but I now find movie mode's color more "natural" and faithful. I used to like black tone at it's darkest but now I just leave it off. The TV still has plenty of pop.

Now the 2011 D series might not be as bright as the 2010 so I will have to see what backlight level looks good. Now for daytime viewing, backlight level of 10-12 and "natural" mode looks fine.

The more I view the C6400 series at night, the more my eyes adjust to the lower backlight level and if it is above 8, the bright scene is just glaringly bright.
post #71 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see this thread alive. I have mostly been watching Netflix, sigh, through the LG bluray so I cannot really comment on what this puppy can really do. I am certainly enjoying it. I did connect it to the computer but without any tweaking so I cannot comment on that. 46" is a great size in a great package. The black bars on SD material are oily black. Flashlighting is very rare and I have the backlight on high.
post #72 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post

Glad to see this thread alive. I have mostly been watching Netflix, sigh, through the LG bluray so I cannot really comment on what this puppy can really do. I am certainly enjoying it. I did connect it to the computer but without any tweaking so I cannot comment on that. 46" is a great size in a great package. The black bars on SD material are oily black. Flashlighting is very rare and I have the backlight on high.

How does Internet work on it, if you buy an adapter is it possible to go online to say google? I know you would need maybe a samsung qwerty remote.

I mention that because I saw a video of the D7000 surfing in a browser maybe it is specific to that and the 8000.
post #73 of 3068 Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

How does Internet work on it, if you buy an adapter is it possible to go online to say google? I know you would need maybe a samsung qwerty remote.

I mention that because I saw a video of the D7000 surfing in a browser maybe it is specific to that and the 8000.

It looks like a regular 2011 Samsung Smart Hub. No Internet. The search feature is useless.
post #74 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

I see^^

BTW just ordered the 55D6000 should be here right around April 7 hopefully
post #75 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 AM

I just watched my new UN55D6050 last night. Flashlighting was absolutely horrible in all 4 corners. I measured it and the bottom left extend 5 inches and the bottom right was 7 inches!!!! How in the world did Samsung let this set pass their QC is beyond me. This just tell me that it is an absolute crapshoot whether you will get a good panel or not. All the local Sams and Costco has the H301 panel.

There is absolutely no need to post the setting because no amount of fine tuning will make those monstrous flashlighting go away. I even loosen the back screws and saw no improvement. There was a bit of round clouding on the right side, about 1-2 inches in diameter. I could live with those if not for the horrible 4 corners of stagelight constantly pointing at the screen!!

My UN55C6400 was 1000 times better when I went into the living room to compare. As far as PQ, they seem to be about the same once the setting matches but I would say the UN55C6400 is more refined. It has better depth and contrast.

The only good is that the built in media player is better. It now plays everything but ISO image. It will even play .m2ts now without renaming to .ts. Subtitles support still has not changed, only .srt is supported, i.e it still can't pull subtitles from VOB files.

Blu Ray rip was handled flawlessly no matter if it was .mkv or .m2ts in the stream folder. No stutter even with remuxed uncompressed 25 gb mkv rip. Will update later. Typing from iPhone right now.
post #76 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:

I just watched my new UN55D6050 last night. Flashlighting was absolutely horrible in all 4 corners. I measured it and the bottom left extend 5 inches and the bottom right was 7 inches!!!! How in the world did Samsung let this set pass their QC is beyond me. This just tell me that it is an absolute crapshoot whether you will get a good panel or not. All the local Sams and Costco has the H301 panel.

There is absolutely no need to post the setting because no amount of fine tuning will make those monstrous flashlighting go away. I even loosen the back screws and saw no improvement. There was a bit of round clouding on the right side, about 1-2 inches in diameter. I could live with those if not for the horrible 4 corners of stagelight constantly pointing at the screen!!

My UN55C6400 was 1000 times better when I went into the living room to compare. As far as PQ, they seem to be about the same once the setting matches but I would say the UN55C6400 is more refined. It has better depth and contrast.

The only good is that the built in media player is better. It now plays everything but ISO image. It will even play .m2ts now without renaming to .ts. Subtitles support still has not changed, only .srt is supported, i.e it still can't pull subtitles from VOB files.

Blu Ray rip was handled flawlessly no matter if it was .mkv or .m2ts in the stream folder. No stutter even with remuxed uncompressed 25 gb mkv rip. Will update later. Typing from iPhone right now.

This is disappointing to hear obvi. Guess your returning it?
post #77 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My set is on the truck for delivery today. Will post impressions tonight or tomorrow. Is replacing a Panasonic 50gt25 that buzzed so I'm kinda nervous but we'll see.

gamertag: xxx shiv xxx
PSN: xx_shiv_xx
post #78 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, there will be scenes that will give you heartache. It's not a bad panel. I think you're supposed to pony up for a D8000 in order to get precise dimming. The Panasonics are lovely. The buzzing is not. Or the weight.
post #79 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by er3_unc View Post

This is disappointing to hear obvi. Guess your returning it?

I am going to keep it for a week and see if it get any better. If not I will do an exchange and if it is still not acceptable, I am going to keep it until the 90 days return period is just about to expire or until they get a UN55D7000(probably UN55D7050 since that's how Samsung designate them for those membership wherehouse).

I am going to wait and see more review on the D6000 and D7000 series.

There is no way I am buying any Samsung TV from a retailer without liberal return policy. That pretty much rule out mail order since I hate the hassle of even returning the TV to my local stores. Best Buy is out of the question since their extended warranty is too expensive and their return window is only 14 days. I imagine they would put me on the "do not sell" list if I start buying and returning Samsung LED TV from them.
post #80 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post

Your post gives me hope. Well there is no way I can get a set that is worst than my current one anyway. I agree with you on the 46'' size. SD still looks good at that size and blue ray looks like moving high res photo. I made some 1080i slideshow out of 5 megapixel still using Sony Vegas and they look amazing on the Samsung LEDs.
post #81 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well not the best news I wanted to hear, I am curious though if the panels are different from Sam's/Amazon and the D6050 to D6000 while I doubt it and they are most likely the same you never know. I will post what panel I receive on the D6000 ordered via amazon. Also from what I understand flashlighting even on the C series is always a hit or miss, meaning some sets may be worse than others right?

One other question how did you playback mkv or m2ts files I thought this tv only did things like Netflix and pre filled apps?
post #82 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

Also from what I understand flashlighting even on the C series is always a hit or miss, meaning some sets may be worse than others right?

One other question how did you playback mkv or m2ts files I thought this tv only did things like Netflix and pre filled apps?

Yes it is hit or miss. I thought QC would be better on 2011 model but I am wrong or extremely unlucky.

Samsung TV always had a built in media player for a while now. It even supports NTFS drive unlike the PS3. All you do is connect your HD to the USB port and select the file. It is the best built in media player out of all the TVs out there today. It really does play every format except for .iso. Actually that was the reason that got me interested in Samsung LED to begin with. There is no other device to boot up or connect.

It even passes dolby digital or DTS out via the optical audio out. And even high bit rate 20-25Mbps uncompressed blue ray rip will play just fine without stuttering. Some mkv with bit rate greater than 25 Mbps will stutter but if you rip it to a stream folder and keep the bit rate under 22 Mbps, you should not notice any stuttering. Play your blue ray and blue rip side by side and you will not notice any difference in picture quality.
post #83 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM

I have a H301 version .I just don`t see the same problems as others while watching the set .I can`t see any flashing that people talk of .There is a bit of bleeding in the corner on a completly black screen. But there is not that I see while watching TV.

Family room 40C6300
The Bunker 55D6000
post #84 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post

I have a H301 version .I just don`t see the same problems as others while watching the set .I can`t see any flashing that people talk of .There is a bit of bleeding in the corner on a completly black screen. But there is not that I see while watching TV.

Quit this forum now and enjoy the TV. If you don't see it and it is so faint that you don't notice, count your blessing. I'll wait for a couple more review before returning mine.
post #85 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM

im just about to order my D6400 , if anybody has one can they please post some pic thanks.
post #86 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes it is hit or miss. I thought QC would be better on 2011 model but I am wrong or extremely unlucky.

Samsung TV always had a built in media player for a while now. It even supports NTFS drive unlike the PS3. All you do is connect your HD to the USB port and select the file. It is the best built in media player out of all the TVs out there today. It really does play every format except for .iso. Actually that was the reason that got me interested in Samsung LED to begin with. There is no other device to boot up or connect.

It even passes dolby digital or DTS out via the optical audio out. And even high bit rate 20-25Mbps uncompressed blue ray rip will play just fine without stuttering. Some mkv with bit rate greater than 25 Mbps will stutter but if you rip it to a stream folder and keep the bit rate under 22 Mbps, you should not notice any stuttering. Play your blue ray and blue rip side by side and you will not notice any difference in picture quality.

Sweet I've got tons of mkv rips, so say I hook up a USB hard drive to the tv it would play video but where does the optical cord come into play? It goes from where to where? I've got my tv hooked up via 7.1 Hdmi to my Onkyo receiver.
post #87 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Your TV has optical audio out. Use a toslink cable and connect that to any unused digital optical input on the back of your receiver. This way, you can play 5.1 broadcast thru your home theater sound system. The built in media player is smart enough to send the AC-3 or DTS signal thru that optical out. Pretty soon, Netflix will offer 5.1. They might have already done that with the PS3.

Back in the old days, we had to shell out over a grand for those DTS and AC-3 receiver and an optical cable was used to connect the DVD player to the receiver. Now you have one HDMI cable doing everything.
post #88 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 02:08 PM

One problem I`m having is the picture appears not to fit the screen .

For example I`m watching lets say Speed channel .The logo for channel on the top right corner is partially cut off .A couple of letters .I reset all setting to factory settings .The commercials appear to be fine .The amount of cut off off appears different on different channels .

I`m with Shaw satellite I have the receiver set at 720p .

Is this a TV problem or the satellite receiver ?

Family room 40C6300
The Bunker 55D6000
post #89 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 02:39 PM

I just purchased a 46D6420 from Best Buy. Initial unit had prominent spotlighting and a huge cloud in the middle. Exchanged for a second unit which was a little better.

One thing that is driving me crazy is that I cannot seem to get NetFlix to work (says I'm not connected to the internet when, indeed, I am and all other apps are working fine). NetFlix support says it's Samsung's fault and Samsung support says it's NetFlix's fault. A Google search seems to reveal that this a known issue, but a hard reset of the TV, router and modem does not fix it. Interestingly, the first unit connected to NetFlix just fine. Anyone experience this? Any solutions?
post #90 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM

I have owned the UN55D6000FXZC for about a week now. It is a H301 Panel . I do not have the flashlighting in the corners...yet. However the display model - same size - that they had in Future Shop had serious corner flashlighting.

I posted my settings on the Samsung un55d6000 settings forum. My backlighting is at 13 and while I commented that I was having some clouding when the TV is black I did not notice it while I watching any movies or TV shows. The off angle viewing seems to be on par with our older 52" Samsung, an A 550 with the S panel.

I am not sure how well I did with the calibration, but I feel that the picture does look better than when I purchased the TV.

I have 30 days to decide on this panel and I think I will be using most of that time to assess my options. At the same time, hopefully there will be a few more reviews and comments on the TV on this forum that will help me make my final decision.

As a final comment it does not seem that this panel has the serious issues described in the forum on the 2010 models, but as I said I have only had it for a week.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page