post #991 of 3068 Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post

Hey Guys. So I recently bought a UN55D6050. I love the TV, Sony receiver and Polk audio surround system. I've got a ton of content on my PC, so using All Share and the network, I've got the ability to stream the content on the TV, but only the smaller files. Any higher quality content is plagued with loading pauses.

Initially I thought the WiFi was the weak link, so I hardwired my TV into the router using RJ45. But the loading lag is still there. So now I'm looking for another route that will allow me to play all that content seemlessly on the TV. My brother uses a Western Digital media streaming device, but I'd like to avoid yet another interface and controller if I can help it.

Is it possible to connect a harddrive or NAS directly to the TV using a USB port? Would this allow faster streaming of content? Then I could load content onto the NAS rather then trying to run it all off my PC.

What has been everyone else's experience?

I have connected a HDD to the usb1 port of my UN55D6000 and have been able to play all my video files. These include 1080p movies with dd5.1/DTS sound tracks. They all worked great with the sound outputs to my receiver via the optical link of the set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3068 Old 09-04-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

Hi Everyone,
I had to return the UN40D6000, had bad pixels. Anyway, i haven't bought another one yet, but before i do, which panel version has the best viewing angle and less flashlighting? Thanks in advance.

What are bad pixels? DO you mean burnt out or were they doing something else? The reason I ask is because every once in a while, when I'm watching something like the local news, I see a pixel glowing white. It stays in the same exact spot and always comes back when the TV is showing a certain scene. I don't see it 95% of the time but maybe I should mention this to the tech coming here on Tuesday.
post #993 of 3068 Old 09-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

What are bad pixels? DO you mean burnt out or were they doing something else? The reason I ask is because every once in a while, when I'm watching something like the local news, I see a pixel glowing white. It stays in the same exact spot and always comes back when the TV is showing a certain scene. I don't see it 95% of the time but maybe I should mention this to the tech coming here on Tuesday.

They were like white and in color. They didn't go away, so i just returned it.
post #994 of 3068 Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1000 View Post

Hi Everyone,
I had to return the UN40D6000, had bad pixels. Anyway, i haven't bought another one yet, but before i do, which panel version has the best viewing angle and less flashlighting? Thanks in advance.

Anyone? I will be buying tomorrow.
post #995 of 3068 Old 09-04-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspun View Post

I have connected a HDD to the usb1 port of my UN55D6000 and have been able to play all my video files. These include 1080p movies with dd5.1/DTS sound tracks. They all worked great with the sound outputs to my receiver via the optical link of the set.

Thanks for the feedback. That's great, I've got a 1.5TB Iomega NAS. My intention is to plug it directly into the TV via USB, and then connect the NAS to the network via it's ethernet port. Then I can simply move files to and from the NAS via the network, and play them on the TV. So I'll just need to get an optical cable. Thanks a ton.
post #996 of 3068 Old 09-05-2011, 05:17 AM

What does F301 for my panel version represent?

Is there a true Sammy version that would start with an "S" ?

Like S301??
post #997 of 3068 Old 09-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengy View Post

Thanks for the feedback. That's great, I've got a 1.5TB Iomega NAS. My intention is to plug it directly into the TV via USB, and then connect the NAS to the network via it's ethernet port. Then I can simply move files to and from the NAS via the network, and play them on the TV. So I'll just need to get an optical cable. Thanks a ton.

One thing I forgot to mention, I attached a portable drive to usb1 and it didn't work. You will need to plug in a self-powered drive for it to work. My plug-in drive is a 2T drive, and it works beautifully!
post #998 of 3068 Old 09-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Thank you for explaining this. Of course it occurred to me that the "Version" designation was what people were referring to as the "Panel Number," or type, but as to how this interpretation came about, I'm not sure. In any case, my 55D6000 bears a version designation of H302, which I take it is a good thing from your later postings. My 55C6500 bears a version designation of CN02. Any thoughts on that particular version for 2010 model?

More about panel versions. I posted that I have an "F" panel. I've seen some mention an "S" (not for Superman) but Samsung. Is there such an animal? Or are we just talking about a letter that represents what month the TV was manufactured in the year 2011 starting with "A"?

BTW, I have flashlighting with will flucuate with how values are set, and I see "clouding" on a momentary dark scene. I have not yet tried to access and calibrate all the settings many have talked about on AVS. I watched "9" last night and the whole picture looks like it has a grey "hue" over it, but I'm sure settings can make that better. I have received a warranty replacement TV for my old DLP. So I can ask for an exchange. I'm interested in the panel version if it makes a difference. Like anything else manufactured, sometimes later versions have issues that are addressed in house without the public probably knowing............
post #999 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM

Just wondering if anyone has/is using any type of Bias lighting with your tv?

Last night I noticed that while watching movies in a dark room, I had a headache after a couple of hours. Never had this with the plasma or the projector, and I'm willing to bet that bias lighting will help.

I have been through the other threads on the topic, but wasn't sure if any Samsung D6000 series owners are using any bias lighting and what they think of it with these tv's. (im concerned about how the light will look with a clear edge around the TV)
post #1000 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

I get this only when I have it on Directv. I think it's the source of material or maybe the slow transmission of the program through the satellite. This never happens on Bluray(PS3) or Xbox. The picture is perfect on my 60"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zork52 View Post

BTW, I have flashlighting with will flucuate with how values are set, and I see "clouding" on a momentary dark scene. I have not yet tried to access and calibrate all the settings many have talked about on AVS. I watched "9" last night and the whole picture looks like it has a grey "hue" over it, but I'm sure settings can make that better. I have received a warranty replacement TV for my old DLP. So I can ask for an exchange. I'm interested in the panel version if it makes a difference. Like anything else manufactured, sometimes later versions have issues that are addressed in house without the public probably knowing............

On directv I notice the "grey" hue more on at different angles. Meaning left to right seating areas. Center seat is perfect. Oh, no clouding or grey hue on bluray or xbox. I've been trying different setting tho. I will post them later tonight.
post #1001 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 View Post

Last night I noticed that while watching movies in a dark room, I had a headache after a couple of hours. Never had this with the plasma or the projector, and I'm willing to bet that bias lighting will help.

I have been through the other threads on the topic, but wasn't sure if any Samsung D6000 series owners are using any bias lighting and what they think of it with these tv's. (im concerned about how the light will look with a clear edge around the TV)

I noticed LED's are set extremely bright out of the box. I had to adjust the setting way down to suit my needs. I had the same problem when I was playing xbox in the dark and it cause me to have a headache. I adjusted the setting and it's better now.
post #1002 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Also, check on Samsung's website and see if you have the current firmware or software. I updated mine to 1019. Might be different for other sets.
post #1003 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Just got my UN46D6000 last week, although last night was only the 2nd evening I had to play around with it.

With lights off I immediatly picked up on the flashlighting/clouding when the screen was all black for a second while loading a video from youtube or something, but I don't watch a lot of movies at night with all the lights out so I hope/don't think it'll be a problem for me if I don't think about it/sweat it.

MLB.TV app works great, I linked up my account, pulled up a game and of course there is some blocking at times, but for internet video feed the video quality is great, since baseball isn't really a fast action sport like hockey or basketball I think that helps. Also it's a big help the router for my house is right behind the TV so I'm able to use ethernet/wired over wifi. Youtube videos seemed to play much smoother(almost TV broadcast smooth), not sure if that's the app or the AMP working.

Tried a few video files on my WD 1TB external HDD and it works great, it played just about every video file format I threw at it, most importantly my .TS HD files(MPEG4/H.264) and .mpg(MPEG2 HD). I know it handled the .avi as well, can't remember if the .WMVs worked or not.

Picture quality is great, I love it. Cannot wait to get a Bluray player(any suggestions for a non 3D one?) and really see the difference with 1080P over plain compressed cable HD.
post #1004 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleh19 View Post

I have bias lighting for my D6000. It does wonders for making the black bars look black. It really improves the picture, I can't recommend it enough.
post #1005 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Picture quality is great, I love it. Cannot wait to get a Bluray player(any suggestions for a non 3D one?) and really see the difference with 1080P over plain compressed cable HD.

I watched Wall-E, Sucker Punch and a few clips from Transformer 2. Wall-E looks amazing. I think it's a must have to show off any TV.
post #1006 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak3883 View Post

Just got my UN46D6000 last week, although last night was only the 2nd evening I had to play around with it.

With lights off I immediatly picked up on the flashlighting/clouding when the screen was all black for a second while loading a video from youtube or something, but I don't watch a lot of movies at night with all the lights out so I hope/don't think it'll be a problem for me if I don't think about it/sweat it.

MLB.TV app works great, I linked up my account, pulled up a game and of course there is some blocking at times, but for internet video feed the video quality is great, since baseball isn't really a fast action sport like hockey or basketball I think that helps. Also it's a big help the router for my house is right behind the TV so I'm able to use ethernet/wired over wifi. Youtube videos seemed to play much smoother(almost TV broadcast smooth), not sure if that's the app or the AMP working.

Tried a few video files on my WD 1TB external HDD and it works great, it played just about every video file format I threw at it, most importantly my .TS HD files(MPEG4/H.264) and .mpg(MPEG2 HD). I know it handled the .avi as well, can't remember if the .WMVs worked or not.

I bought a Sony BDP-S570. I was all set to buy the non-3d version (S370 i beleive), but this was on sale for only $10 more than the S370. It has been great.
post #1007 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 02:10 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucid_one View Post

I have bias lighting for my D6000. It does wonders for making the black bars look black. It really improves the picture, I can't recommend it enough.

How, what and where is the lighting?
got a photo?
I've been trying to figure out the best method to put the light.
TIA
post #1008 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri in Mtl View Post

How, what and where is the lighting?
got a photo?
I've been trying to figure out the best method to put the light.
TIA

I have mine in a stand, so the setup is pretty basic. I just got small 6500K (correct color temp) compact florescent bulb. I put it in a desk lamp behind the TV and aimed directly towards the wall behind the TV. Lightens up the room with no reflections on the TV.
post #1009 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

I get this only when I have it on Directv. I think it's the source of material or maybe the slow transmission of the program through the satellite. This never happens on Bluray(PS3) or Xbox. The picture is perfect on my 60"

On directv I notice the "grey" hue more on at different angles. Meaning left to right seating areas. Center seat is perfect. Oh, no clouding or grey hue on bluray or xbox. I've been trying different setting tho. I will post them later tonight.

Thanks. I have a straight up outdoor rooftop antenna, so I expect I'm in the minority here for signal source.
post #1010 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Just hooked up my new UN46D6300. So far so good! No clouding or banding!

However, I am trying to program my Harmony 300 remote. I have a Cablevision 8300HD DVR Box, Samsung HW/D450 Soundbar and Sony PS3. Everything works except the soundbar.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to program the volume controls for the Harmony. The soundbar has optical in from Cable box AND PS3. The cable box is then connected to TV via HDMI.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
post #1011 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Directv viewing in a low lite room. UN60D6000
Pic mode - Movie mode
Backlight - 14
Contrast - 76
Brightness - 60
Sharpness - 60
Color - 51
Black Tone - Darker
Dynamic Contrast - Low
Gamma - -2
Color Tone - Warm1
Auto Motion - Clear
post #1012 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 PM

UN55D6000
Okay I tweaked my gamma up one notch and upped my min backlight

Pic mode - Movie mode
Backlight - 7 to 20 (eco mode with min backlight set to 7)
Contrast - 87
Brightness - 44
Sharpness - 0
Color - 48
Black Tone - off
Shadow detail - 0 (setting this to anything other than 2 actual does some dynamic setting of the backlight).
Dynamic Contrast - off
Gamma - +1
Color Tone - Warm2 (I liked the whites better with warm1, but it created a slight blue/green cast in some scenes)
Auto Motion - Clear
LED motion On

I have a 6500K bias light behind my TV and it everying is now dialed into perfection. The blacks look black and uniform. Colors look very natural yet still have good pop.
post #1013 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Hi All.. I just got my 46" 6900 home from Best Buy. It will not let my remote pair, any ideas.. I don't know why. I have it all hooked up, everything else is working.. Denon receiver, Tivo, etc.. thank you.. It has the remote with the qwerty keyboard on back.. thanks again
post #1014 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyh View Post

Hi All.. I just got my 46" 6900 home from Best Buy. It will not let my remote pair, any ideas.. I don't know why. I have it all hooked up, everything else is working.. Denon receiver, Tivo, etc.. thank you.. It has the remote with the qwerty keyboard on back.. thanks again

I had the same problem with my qwerty remote not pairing until I got the remote close -- very close -- to the TV during the pairing process. If you haven't already, try that (like, eight inches away). I'm not sure it matters but I held the remote near the lower right corner of the TV.

-Dan
post #1015 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 PM

will try that.. I have been calibrating per JPCarls settings on page 8, i do not understand.. this set looked SO good in the store.. I am replacing a Sony 4100.. I must say *so far* the Sony i took out of the stand, a plain old LCD, had a better picture than this Samsung.. I am hoping i can get some hep here.. seems so dull, not vibrant or clear at all.. Also, when i changed it to fit the screen, it has a thin white band at the top of the screen? It is on every channel.. would drive me nuts.. ANY help would be appreciated, i need to figure this out while i am in the return window.. thanks all..
post #1016 of 3068 Old 09-06-2011, 11:38 PM

Just got my UN55D6000 a couple of days ago, and have been spending quite a bit of time trying to dial the settings to perfection.

I would like to point out that my model is H302 and it came preloaded with firmware 1017. I have not upgraded to 1019.2 due to complaints from this thread about it. I have noticeable flashlighting in the corners as well as pretty large clouding on the left and right sides of the picture. As long as my backlight is proportionate to my room's lighting I can mask it, but it is irritating knowing it's there. I don't think there's a specific panel lottery when it comes to clouding/flashlighting.

I would like to point out a few things regarding motion control. While I did not notice any real benefit from enabling LED Motion Plus, I noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of motion control if you DO NOT feed the television a 24p signal AND AMP at the same time. If you want to use 24p input, please refrain from using AMP because it'll cause irregularities and motion skips with 24p content. HOWEVER if you feed the TV a 60p signal (and let the player do 3:2 pulldown), using it with AMP on Clear will give you some amazing motion blur reduction and smoothing, while keeping frame interpolation to a minimum. For the most part, you're still retaining a great movie look!

After much research, I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY at the settings listed by this site over here. I highly recommend applying these and giving them a run. I have amazing whites and very deep blacks, along with great color accuracy.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-hdtv-settings

*Note: these settings are for the UN46D6000 but seem to work perfectly with the UN55D6000. They are for a medium-dim lit room.

Picture Menu
Picture Mode: Movie
*Backlight: 8 I use 5 for dark room with a bias light, 7-8 for sunlight.
*Contrast: 100 Does not clip whites through PS3. If you experience clipping then bring it down to 92.
*Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 0
*Color: 45
*Tint: G50/R50
Screen Adjustment
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Advanced Settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
*Gamma:
+1 This change seems to work better than using Shadow Detail at +2, because black scenes will keep their dark look while raising the gamma up to +1 will increase the detail in black. I like this change a lot.
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
White Balance

**R-Offset: 25
**G-Offset: 25
**B-Offset: 26
**R-Gain: 25
**G-Gain: 25
**B-Gain: 21
10p White Balance: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off
Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto1
Auto Motion Plus: Custom I am using Clear but the site recommends this Custom setting, use at your own discretion.
Blur Reduction: 4
Judder Reduction: 0
post #1017 of 3068 Old 09-07-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucid_one View Post

I have mine in a stand, so the setup is pretty basic. I just got small 6500K (correct color temp) compact florescent bulb. I put it in a desk lamp behind the TV and aimed directly towards the wall behind the TV. Lightens up the room with no reflections on the TV.

So how do you turn on the light?
Gotta be some way to automagically turn the light on when you use (in my case) the PVR and TV.
post #1018 of 3068 Old 09-07-2011, 05:57 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyh View Post

... Also, when i changed it to fit the screen, it has a thin white band at the top of the screen? It is on every channel.. would drive me nuts.. ANY help would be appreciated, i need to figure this out while i am in the return window.. thanks all..

This is normal, the white line is television closed captioning data. Switch the aspect ratio to "16x9" when watching TV. Switch it to "fit screen" for blu ray and non TV sources.
post #1019 of 3068 Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri in Mtl View Post
So how do you turn on the light?
Gotta be some way to automagically turn the light on when you use (in my case) the PVR and TV.
I think the best way would be if you have an outlet controlled by a wall switch, or if you turn your power strip on and off for your TV and devices, have it plugged into that? Other than that buy a lamp that has a switch on the cord so it's easy to access or install the clapper?

I would guess there are plugs that can be operated by remote, but I don't know anything about that.

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #1020 of 3068 Old 09-07-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan_0003
Just got my UN55D6000 a couple of days ago, and have been spending quite a bit of time trying to dial the settings to perfection.

I would like to point out that my model is H302 and it came preloaded with firmware 1017. I have not upgraded to 1019.2 due to complaints from this thread about it. I have noticeable flashlighting in the corners as well as pretty large clouding on the left and right sides of the picture. As long as my backlight is proportionate to my room's lighting I can mask it, but it is irritating knowing it's there. I don't think there's a specific panel lottery when it comes to clouding/flashlighting.

I would like to point out a few things regarding motion control. While I did not notice any real benefit from enabling LED Motion Plus, I noticed a HUGE difference in the quality of motion control if you DO NOT feed the television a 24p signal AND AMP at the same time. If you want to use 24p input, please refrain from using AMP because it'll cause irregularities and motion skips with 24p content. HOWEVER if you feed the TV a 60p signal (and let the player do 3:2 pulldown), using it with AMP on Clear will give you some amazing motion blur reduction and smoothing, while keeping frame interpolation to a minimum. For the most part, you're still retaining a great movie look!

After much research, I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY at the settings listed by this site over here. I highly recommend applying these and giving them a run. I have amazing whites and very deep blacks, along with great color accuracy.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-hdtv-settings

*Note: these settings are for the UN46D6000 but seem to work perfectly with the UN55D6000. They are for a medium-dim lit room.

Picture Menu
Picture Mode: Movie
*Backlight: 8 I use 5 for dark room with a bias light, 7-8 for sunlight.
*Contrast: 100 Does not clip whites through PS3. If you experience clipping then bring it down to 92.
*Brightness: 44
Sharpness: 0
*Color: 45
*Tint: G50/R50
Screen Adjustment
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Advanced Settings
Black Tone: Off
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: 0
*Gamma: +1 This change seems to work better than using Shadow Detail at +2, because black scenes will keep their dark look while raising the gamma up to +1 will increase the detail in black. I like this change a lot.
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
White Balance

**R-Offset: 25
**G-Offset: 25
**B-Offset: 26
**R-Gain: 25
**G-Gain: 25
**B-Gain: 21
10p White Balance: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
Edge Enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off
Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Auto1
Auto Motion Plus: Custom I am using Clear but the site recommends this Custom setting, use at your own discretion.
Blur Reduction: 4
Judder Reduction: 0
Yeah these are pretty great. I wouldn't even bother with the grayscale adjustments....as that review mentioned...its nearly perfect.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page