Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I need to completely revised my other response. I do not know how it could happen but I came home today at 8:30 and checked the flashlighting again. It was surprisingly very dim. I turn the lights off and boost backlight to 15 and expected to see a torch. Nope it brighten a bit but no where near what I saw last night.

I let my kids watched tv for 2 hours while I watch the C6400 downstairs. I came back upstairs just now and tried it again. The TV has warm up but it did not get any worst. In fact, it is pretty darn good. There is some minor clouding but it is very faint.

I drop backlight down to 8, movie mode, and black tone to darkest and dynamic contrast to high. That almost wiped out any corner flashlights and the black letterbox is now very black. But of course I lose the details in the dark scene but at least I know I can tune out the flashlighting.

It was as if I just swapped out that TV. Again, the only thing I did was loosen the back panel. That did not help last night but tonight, whatever flaw I saw on that TV was reduced by 80%. It is pretty damn good right now and actually exceeds my expectation of an edge lit LED.

So maybe it needs a break in period and I was too quick to criticize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3068 Old 04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Now that some more owners chimed in, are any of you gamers and can comment on the Game Input lag?
post #93 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 AM

Just ordered the UN55D6000 yesterday. BB expects to have it delivered by next saturday. I saw this set side by side with the UN55D7000. There were very little differences. The only obvious difference I noticed was the colors. They seemed to pop more on the 7000 but by no means does that mean this set looked bad. I know both sets were on torch mode so I am positive that after some tweeking the 6000 will look great. It seems that the flashlighting and clouding is nothing more than a crap shoot. If current owners don't mind, could you post your panel numbers? Maybe then we can tell if there are any differences amongst panels.
post #94 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post

I think I need to completely revised my other response. I do not know how it could happen but I came home today at 8:30 and checked the flashlighting again. It was surprisingly very dim. I turn the lights off and boost backlight to 15 and expected to see a torch. Nope it brighten a bit but no where near what I saw last night.

I let my kids watched tv for 2 hours while I watch the C6400 downstairs. I came back upstairs just now and tried it again. The TV has warm up but it did not get any worst. In fact, it is pretty darn good. There is some minor clouding but it is very faint.

I drop backlight down to 8, movie mode, and black tone to darkest and dynamic contrast to high. That almost wiped out any corner flashlights and the black letterbox is now very black. But of course I lose the details in the dark scene but at least I know I can tune out the flashlighting.

It was as if I just swapped out that TV. Again, the only thing I did was loosen the back panel. That did not help last night but tonight, whatever flaw I saw on that TV was reduced by 80%. It is pretty damn good right now and actually exceeds my expectation of an edge lit LED.

So maybe it needs a break in period and I was too quick to criticize.

Thanks for the update! Was on the verge of ordering this when your evaluation gave me pause. Just to be clear, on my C6400 back panel, I observe screws all around the perimeter, 4 in the depressions where the wall mount threaded holes are, and 2 above the mount for the swivel base. Which of these screws, if any, is anyone loosening? Am I correct that relief is achieved by just quarter-turning some or all of these EXTERNAL screws, or does one have to remove something to get the screws being referred to?
Thanks
post #95 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCarl View Post

Just ordered the UN55D6000 yesterday. BB expects to have it delivered by next saturday. I saw this set side by side with the UN55D7000. There were very little differences. The only obvious difference I noticed was the colors. They seemed to pop more on the 7000 but by no means does that mean this set looked bad. I know both sets were on torch mode so I am positive that after some tweeking the 6000 will look great. It seems that the flashlighting and clouding is nothing more than a crap shoot. If current owners don't mind, could you post your panel numbers? Maybe then we can tell if there are any differences amongst panels.

I would like to know if Samsung has opted for IPS panels or kept their S-PVAs...
post #96 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Thanks for the update! Was on the verge of ordering this when your evaluation gave me pause. Just to be clear, on my C6400 back panel, I observe screws all around the perimeter, 4 in the depressions where the wall mount threaded holes are, and 2 above the mount for the swivel base. Which of these screws, if any, is anyone loosening? Am I correct that relief is achieved by just quarter-turning some or all of these EXTERNAL screws, or does one have to remove something to get the screws being referred to?
Thanks

My 55C6400 is nearly perfect so I did not loosen any screws. On the 46C6400 that I returned, I loosen every back panel screws about a half turn. I did the same with the 55D6050.
post #97 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfbmgd View Post

One problem I`m having is the picture appears not to fit the screen .

For example I`m watching lets say Speed channel .The logo for channel on the top right corner is partially cut off .A couple of letters .I reset all setting to factory settings .The commercials appear to be fine .The amount of cut off off appears different on different channels .

I`m with Shaw satellite I have the receiver set at 720p .

Is this a TV problem or the satellite receiver ?

Try the P.SIZE button on the remote.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #98 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Try the P.SIZE button on the remote.

Thanks for the idea .My daughter played with the remote and pressed the aspect ratio button .All is well again .

Family room 40C6300
The Bunker 55D6000
post #99 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 09:43 AM

Well after getting two 46D6420's with unacceptable clouding/spotlighting (at least for me), I went ahead and tried the 46D6900. Not sure if it's the micro-dimming or if I just got a lucky, but the clouding and spotlighting isn't as bad on this unit. Still definitely there if you're looking for it in a dark room with the credits playing, but I can live with it. The qwerty keyboard and web browser was a nice surprise too.
post #100 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic758 View Post
Well after getting two 46D6420's with unacceptable clouding/spotlighting (at least for me), I went ahead and tried the 46D6900. Not sure if it's the micro-dimming or if I just got a lucky, but the clouding and spotlighting isn't as bad on this unit. Still definitely there if you're looking for it in a dark room with the credits playing, but I can live with it. The qwerty keyboard and web browser was a nice surprise too.
Really considering getting the D6900. What's your overall impression? I love the way it looks(no duck feet like D7000, D8000) and the price is right.
post #101 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just watched my new UN55D6050 last night. Flashlighting was absolutely horrible in all 4 corners. I measured it and the bottom left extend 5 inches and the bottom right was 7 inches!!!! How in the world did Samsung let this set pass their QC is beyond me. This just tell me that it is an absolute crapshoot whether you will get a good panel or not. All the local Sams and Costco has the H301 panel.

There is absolutely no need to post the setting because no amount of fine tuning will make those monstrous flashlighting go away. I even loosen the back screws and saw no improvement. There was a bit of round clouding on the right side, about 1-2 inches in diameter. I could live with those if not for the horrible 4 corners of stagelight constantly pointing at the screen!!

My UN55C6400 was 1000 times better when I went into the living room to compare. As far as PQ, they seem to be about the same once the setting matches but I would say the UN55C6400 is more refined. It has better depth and contrast.

The only good is that the built in media player is better. It now plays everything but ISO image. It will even play .m2ts now without renaming to .ts. Subtitles support still has not changed, only .srt is supported, i.e it still can't pull subtitles from VOB files.

Blu Ray rip was handled flawlessly no matter if it was .mkv or .m2ts in the stream folder. No stutter even with remuxed uncompressed 25 gb mkv rip. Will update later. Typing from iPhone right now.
We dont need your whole settings but having your backlight set high is the main cause of that.
post #102 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASKOAA View Post
We dont need your whole settings but having your backlight set high is the main cause of that.
It doesn't matter now because of my amended report. But my horrible initial impression was in "movie" mode, backlight 6-8, brightness 45, contrast 85, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, automotion off. The TV just need a small break in time because the next day, it looks like a completely different set. Flashlighting was in the same area but the intensity went down by 80%. I even boosted the back light level to 15 and it did not increase it very much. This is my 4th Samsung LED in a year and I know pretty much where to look for the flaws.

As I said before, this set is now a keeper because the flashlighting is now very dim and there is some very small faint clouding that is not visible with any source playing. This is a bedroom set so 90% of the viewing is done with no lights on.
post #103 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It doesn't matter now because of my amended report. But my horrible initial impression was in "movie" mode, backlight 6-8, brightness 45, contrast 85, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, automotion off. The TV just need a small break in time because the next day, it looks like a completely different set. Flashlighting was in the same area but the intensity went down by 80%. I even boosted the back light level to 15 and it did not increase it very much. This is my 4th Samsung LED in a year and I know pretty much where to look for the flaws.

As I said before, this set is now a keeper because the flashlighting is now very dim and there is some very small faint clouding that is not visible with any source playing. This is a bedroom set so 90% of the viewing is done with no lights on.
Nice of you to see stand corrected, instead of not ever coming back to thread leading to misinformation. I was thinking as well Backlight at 15 seems really high. I know on my old 07' A650 there was never no need to even go above 10 and most people who shared there calibration settings were usually between 5-8 maybe these new sets arent as bright.
post #104 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

Nice of you to see stand corrected, instead of not ever coming back to thread leading to misinformation. I was thinking as well Backlight at 15 seems really high. I know on my old 07' A650 there was never no need to even go above 10 and most people who shared there calibration settings were usually between 5-8 maybe these new sets arent as bright.

They are just as bright. Daytime viewing, 10-12 is plenty. Night time, 6-8 is optimal. Actually 6 gives it a very film like view without the extra glare. I am going to update my post the more I watch this TV. One good thing is that during the movie itself, the TV does a good job of dimming any corner flashlighting. Only when you stop or change input does the corner flashlight gets a little bright but that is only momentary and not while you are actually watching anything.
post #105 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtran513 View Post

Really considering getting the D6900. What's your overall impression? I love the way it looks(no duck feet like D7000, D8000) and the price is right.

It's only been a few days but, so far, I'm really liking this set. I'm a bit of a tech geek, so it's kinda fun to mess around with the different features (i.e. web-browsing, Google chatting, AllShare, etc.). The qwerty remote is cool too.

Perhaps it's all in my head, but I can also notice the effects of micro-dimming (slightly more contrast). Not sure if the 6420 had this feature, but that's the main difference I noticed between the two sets.
post #106 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Having your back light set high is not the cause of anything except a bright picture.If people want to set it at 20 they should be able to set it at 20 period.
post #107 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightwing View Post

Having your back light set high is not the cause of anything except a bright picture.If people want to set it at 20 they should be able to set it at 20 period.

I'm not gonna tell you why your wrong b/c your already posting ignorant replies. No TV is perfect. This TV on alot of panels has clouding which dissapears when you turn the backlight down to a reasonable level. Watching the TV on backlight level 20 will literally burn your retina's after a while I promise you that.
post #108 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 PM

I took a took at the 46D6000 in BB and Sears tonight. Even in the stores with the display on ultra-burn-your-retina bright, I didn't see flashlighting that seemed too noticeable during normal watching (don't know what it would've looked like with a letterboxed movie or something though).

I was wrestling with the plasma vs LCD thing, but with daytime viewing in a fairly well lit room, i feel like I'm leaning toward this set.
post #109 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How critical is calibrating your TV, do most of you do it? And do you pay someone or just do it yourself?

The GeekSquad arm of Best Buy here in Canada want $299 to do it.
post #110 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 09:17 PM

Question about the non-builtin WiFi models: Do you have to buy the specific Samsung wifi adapter? Or will any (or some other specific) USB WiFi dongles work as well?
post #111 of 3068 Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drocpsu View Post

I took a took at the 46D6000 in BB and Sears tonight. Even in the stores with the display on ultra-burn-your-retina bright, I didn't see flashlighting that seemed too noticeable during normal watching (don't know what it would've looked like with a letterboxed movie or something though).

I was wrestling with the plasma vs LCD thing, but with daytime viewing in a fairly well lit room, i feel like I'm leaning toward this set.

You are not going to see any flashlighting or clouding during the daytime at the store. But you can easily see it at night. With the proper setting, it will not bother 90% of the people out there.

No need for professional calibration IMHO. Just tweak it toward your taste. After a while, you will find that you hardly need backlight more than 10 and 8 is plenty at night. Why pay for someone to tell you that the professional calibration is what you should like. Sure after the calibration, flesh tone, black level, bla, bla is the way it should be. What if it doesn't suit your taste?

I mean if you like a punchy oversaturated picture, then the professional calibration will definitely look flat to you.

Some people like more bass in their music, some like brilliant high, and some prefer a more pronounce vocal. Just adjust the picture to your taste and who cares if it ain't technically accurate.

You may find later that the pros are correct or you may never change your taste. Who cares, it's your tv and your preferences.
post #112 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:

I'm not gonna tell you why your wrong b/c your already posting ignorant replies. No TV is perfect. This TV on alot of panels has clouding which dissapears when you turn the backlight down to a reasonable level. Watching the TV on backlight level 20 will literally burn your retina's after a while I promise you that.

I am gonna tell you why your wrong and posting ignorant comments.It doesn't matter if you think 20 burns your retinas if the TV setting will go to 20 then as a consumer you have every right to put it at 20.

It will not burn your retinas I like mine at 17 for a lot of content I promise you that.

To tell someone that their setting is to bright and that is why you can see defects real easy is the ignorant statement.
post #113 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Well, you say "literally" here, so I take it that your assertion is that Samsung has produced a dangerous product which threatens permanent damage to one's eyesight? Furthermore, since I have never encountered any warnings in bold red lettering on the box, manual, or even onscreen during the "plug and play" set-up, or even in fine print anywhere, this claim would seem to suggest that Samsung is criminally negligent by not informing the public that something any ordinary person may erroneously deem to be quite safe, and merely in the pursuit of entertainment, can in fact cause irreparable harm? It also seems as if governmental agencies can be held accountable as well, for allowing such a hazard.

Seems kindof unlikely to me. I think it much more reasonable to conclude that a backlight setting of "20" on the Samsung sets is well within tolerable guidelines, especially condsidering that this is a product intended to be stared at for untold hours.
post #114 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Well, you say "literally" here, so I take it that your assertion is that Samsung has produced a dangerous product which threatens permanent damage to one's eyesight? Furthermore, since I have never encountered any warnings in bold red lettering on the box, manual, or even onscreen during the "plug and play" set-up, or even in fine print anywhere, this claim would seem to suggest that Samsung is criminally negligent by not informing the public that something any ordinary person may erroneously deem to be quite safe, and merely in the pursuit of entertainment, can in fact cause irreparable harm? It also seems as if governmental agencies can be held accountable as well, for allowing such a hazard.

Seems kindof unlikely to me. I think it much more reasonable to conclude that a backlight setting of "20" on the Samsung sets is well within tolerable guidelines, especially condsidering that this is a product intended to be stared at for untold hours.

Why is it optometrist dont recommend sitting in front of a computer screen in a dark room for long periods of time then? Of course using backlight 20 in the daytime in a well lite room won't effect your eyes but if your in a darker room at night you better believe slowly it will effect your eyes over time theres no doubt about that.
post #115 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You are not going to see any flashlighting or clouding during the daytime at the store. But you can easily see it at night. With the proper setting, it will not bother 90% of the people out there.

No need for professional calibration IMHO. Just tweak it toward your taste. After a while, you will find that you hardly need backlight more than 10 and 8 is plenty at night. Why pay for someone to tell you that the professional calibration is what you should like. Sure after the calibration, flesh tone, black level, bla, bla is the way it should be. What if it doesn't suit your taste?

I mean if you like a punchy oversaturated picture, then the professional calibration will definitely look flat to you.

Some people like more bass in their music, some like brilliant high, and some prefer a more pronounce vocal. Just adjust the picture to your taste and who cares if it ain't technically accurate.

You may find later that the pros are correct or you may never change your taste. Who cares, it's your tv and your preferences.
Thanks for the info. I'm not one for an ultra-bright screen. I have a Samsung DLP right now and self-calibrated it using some basic THX screen tests. Colors look natural to me.

One more question about this tv (or any tv in this line): Does Samsung consider the 120hz refresh to be the "motion plus" feature? Or Is motion plus an additional motion smoothing filter that can be disabled? My neighbor has an LG 120hz tv and while watching movies, the motion looks fake to me. It's too smooth. I'm just wondering if this is inherent with 120hz screens or if it's due to additional processing. I don't want motion blur, but don't want fake looking motion either. It's a conundrum, I suppose.
post #116 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Just got a UN46D6000 series and it has no WebBrowser or Yahoo widget, searched about the place and can't find how to download these - Surely they are Smart TV related and not related to the series you buy? I mean i've no problem paying a few dollars for the app if thats all thats needed....many thanks for any help with this..
post #117 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeade View Post
Just got a UN46D6000 series and it has no WebBrowser or Yahoo widget, searched about the place and can't find how to download these - Surely they are Smart TV related and not related to the series you buy? I mean i've no problem paying a few dollars for the app if thats all thats needed....many thanks for any help with this..
Yeah, to the owners out there could you guys list all the apps that come bundled with this set? I just saw the Smart TV commercial and was curious if Pandora comes with it.
post #118 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Pandora is one of the apps. They can apparently offer anything, too bad most apps are trash.
post #119 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeade View Post

if you look at the table on page 1 of this thread, it shows that the 6000 series does not have a web browser. Only the 6300 series has a full browser. I don't think you can add one either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much to differentiate the 6000 from the 6300 lines. Not sure about the Yahoo widget though.
post #120 of 3068 Old 04-03-2011, 04:25 PM

So I went back to Best Buy tonight to take a second look at this tv. The only thing that is putting me off is that the screen looks like it reflects a LOT. This makes me nervous because although I don't have a super brightly lit room (no direct sunlight), I do have a double window behind my couch, which is facing the tv (its all indirect/reflected light). Although 90% of my tv watching is at night, I'm nervous that watching tv during might be tough due to a big window reflection in the glass. During the day, I usually close the shades for tv watching (it also causes glare on my matte screen DLP with them open), but I'd be afraid that even with them closed, I'd still see a lot of reflections. Anyone with ANY of the 2010 or 2011 samsungs with the ultra-clear screens have this problem?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page