post #1441 of 3068 Old 11-17-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Eko View Post

What settings did you use, the first or the second ones?

Hello. I applied and am using both settings. I seem to prefer the standard setting recommendation.

LB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3068 Old 11-17-2011, 06:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Hello. I applied and am using both settings. I seem to prefer the standard setting recommendation.

Thank you!

BTW, what are you using those settings for? Movies, gaming and SD television?
post #1443 of 3068 Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you!

BTW, what are you using those settings for? Movies, gaming and SD television?

I use Redwolf's standard setting for most of my viewing on this TV. I'll use the movie setting for bluray movies. I try to avoid SD viewing as much as possible because I think SD looks pretty bad on any of these new LED TVs no matter the manufacturer. Luckily most of the content I view is available in HD via Directv.

I haven't tried any gaming on this TV yet.

LB
post #1444 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:

I use Redwolf's standard setting for most of my viewing on this TV. I'll use the movie setting for bluray movies. I try to avoid SD viewing as much as possible because I think SD looks pretty bad on any of these new LED TVs no matter the manufacturer. Luckily most of the content I view is available in HD via Directv.

I haven't tried any gaming on this TV yet.

Thank you.

Another question: does anyone play MKV files via USB HDD and output's DTS 5.1 sound via optical out of the TV to the receiver? Does it works ok?
post #1445 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just received my new UN46D6000SF TV yesterday as a replacement to my old Samsung 46" A850 bedroom TV.

My first impressions:
  • Nice slim form-factor. ( October 2011 Build)
  • Out-of-the-box Standard setting was a visual assault ( quickly solved by Redwolf4k's settings recommendations in this forum)
  • Thank you Redwolf4k. Your settings are excellent for this TV !
  • I am very impressed with the Samsung Smart Hub--I think this is the future and Samsung is leading the pack. To me there is no need to buy any other streaming devices or something like Google TV for streaming services. I also really like the ability to down load additional apps
  • My TV has significant flash-lighting on the bottom left/right corners ( the worst I have seen on any TV). I tried loosening the screws on each corner but that didn't help at all. Flashlights disappear of course as soon as I get some content on the screen--however, watching anything with the top/bottom black bars is pretty distracting. I'll continue to scan this forum for recommendations to limit the flash-lighting.

I am still very much enjoying the Samsung Smart Hub on this TV. I can't believe how much better the Smart Hub and apps are compared to "widgets" on my other MUCH more expensive TV. Today I downloaded all my favorite video apps like Vudu ( the very best streaming video/sound technology IMO), Cinemanow, and Netflix along with a few others like USA Today and Time. My other very expensive TV provides Video streaming apps however, I can't pick and chose which apps I want on my other TV like I can on the Samsung. I did find a few problems with some of the other Samsung apps like "Aquarium" ( the app froze when I tried to add fish and I had to restart the TV) but other than that this Smart Hub is really pretty good. I also downloaded the Samsung Remote app on my iPhone 4S which is much more convenient to use particularly when entering text on the Samsung Smart Hub and TV.

In case anyone is interested, I purchase a power line network adapter to use with my TV. ( allows me to run the internet through my electric outlets/plugs so I don't have to run an Ethernet cable) I wanted to be sure to get maximum network bandwidth to this TV as opposed to my wireless signal which is not very strong in the area I have the Samsung TV. I bought this on Amazon.com for $85 and works really well--all you do is plug it in to the router on one end and then plug the second unit into an outlet near your TV and like magic you have a fast internet coming through your outlet!
Western Digital WD Livewire Powerline AV Network Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...1621677&sr=8-1

LB
post #1446 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:

Thank you.

Another question: does anyone play MKV files via USB HDD and output's DTS 5.1 sound via optical out of the TV to the receiver? Does it works ok?

I have my entire movie library in mkv and ts files. The Sammy has no problem passing DD or DTS to a receiver.
post #1447 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Does anyone know if there is a quick "one button" way to select between Standard and Movie modes? I like to watch TV using Standard, and movies using Movie mode.

My setup is as follows: Samsung blu-ray and Motorola PVR connect to a Denon 1712 receiver via their respective HDMI inputs. Then one HDMI output from the receiver to the TV. Since both the blu-ray and PVR end up connecting to the same HDMI input on the TV, the TV just stays at the previously set mode.

I use a Harmony One remote control. It would be nice if I could just program the remote to select Movie mode when I switch to my blu-ray player, and to Standard when I switch back to PVR.
post #1448 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimbamboom View Post

Does anyone know if there is a quick "one button" way to select between Standard and Movie modes? I like to watch TV using Standard, and movies using Movie mode.

My setup is as follows: Samsung blu-ray and Motorola PVR connect to a Denon 1712 receiver via their respective HDMI inputs. Then one HDMI output from the receiver to the TV. Since both the blu-ray and PVR end up connecting to the same HDMI input on the TV, the TV just stays at the previously set mode.

I use a Harmony One remote control. It would be nice if I could just program the remote to select Movie mode when I switch to my blu-ray player, and to Standard when I switch back to PVR.

Great question bimbamboom...As a new UN46D6000SF TV owner myself, I too was looking for a way to quickly toggle between "standard" and "movie" mode settings without having to go several steps into the TV menu. Oddly, I don't see this function on the remote either. Did I miss something?

LB
post #1449 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Great question bimbamboom...As a new UN46D6000SF TV owner myself, I too was looking for a way to quickly toggle between "standard" and "movie" mode settings without having to go several steps into the TV menu. Oddly, I don't see this function on the remote either. Did I miss something?

I don't think so. The TV's list of commands on the Harmony remote doesn't seem to include a "Mode Select" choice.
post #1450 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 PM

The Tools button takes me straight to the option to toggle between modes, not a one button solution though.
post #1451 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Agreed. You can't expect 75 ft-l out of a set and expect to see inky blacks on a technology that is driven by a backlight. (when viewing in the dark) You CAN however get good blacks in the realm of 35ft-l or less on any of these samsung sets. Some sets seem less uniform then others. Mine has nearly perfect uniformity outside of the flashlighting corners. I guess some sets can be much worse.

I have owned and calibrated 3 Panasonic plasmas, and have setup several other plasma sets for family members, and I assure you the short comings of this set do not outweigh its overall performance.

The color gamut, grayscale, and image processing can all be made near perfect by the user. A fool would pay a calibrator to adjust this set. Everything can be done with a test disc, because the grayscale warm 2 preset, and "auto" color decoding are about as perfect as you will ever see.

For dark room critical viewing you have to cut down the light ouput by lowering the backlight dramatically to improve contrast ratio related to the appearance of black. This is the trickiest part for this set. For daytime viewing, the Samsung screen filter on these sets is outstanding, and you can crank the backlight and the filter will keep the blacks inky and dark.

Redwolf4K: I have applied your settings recommendations to my new ( this week) Samsung UN46D6000SFwith excellent results. Any thoughts on how I can tame the horrific flash-lighting coming from both bottom corners of my screen without sacrificing the very positive results I get from your settings overall? (Flash-lighting only becomes a pest in my case when I view something that has the Top and Bottom black bars). I've noticed your Standard settings produce less flash-lighting then your movie settings---but I haven't been able to identify which setting exactly is the flash-lighting culprit. Thanks in advance for any advice

LB
post #1452 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakjim View Post

The Tools button takes me straight to the option to toggle between modes, not a one button solution though.

FreakJim: Thank you. That's what I was looking for. The Tools button does it for me. ( much easier way to select the viewing mode)

bimbamboom: I have the Harmony One remote for this TV. I see the "Tools" button ( mentioned by freakjim) for the TV listed under "TV" Devices. In my case its on the last screen--but i think I can move it up in the menu

LB
post #1453 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:

FreakJim: Thank you. That's what I was looking for. The Tools button does it for me. ( much easier way to select the viewing mode)

bimbamboom: I have the Harmony One remote for this TV. I see the "Tools" button ( mentioned by freakjim) for the TV listed under "TV" Devices. In my case its on the last screen--but i think I can move it up in the menu

I guess tools is the way to go.
post #1454 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
new software update available today version 1023
post #1455 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post

new software update available today version 1023

Hello. Any idea where I can get the details of this update?

LB
post #1456 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hello. Any idea where I can get the details of this update?

This.

Hell I don't think I even updated the last firmware I'm curious what this new one is about
post #1457 of 3068 Old 11-18-2011, 09:18 PM

From the Samsung web site:

1. Title
Firmware for LED TV D60** / D64** / D6500 series
2. Applicable Model
D6000SF / D6050TF / D6400UF / D6420UF / D6450UF / D6500VF
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer
all customers
4. Description
- Enhance firmware security
- This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model)
- Change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode
- Change the type of information of Info banner
- Prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu, etc)
- Support Remote Service
- For netflix 3.1 service.
post #1458 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Redwolf4K: I have applied your settings recommendations to my new ( this week) Samsung UN46D6000SFwith excellent results. Any thoughts on how I can tame the horrific flash-lighting coming from both bottom corners of my screen without sacrificing the very positive results I get from your settings overall? (Flash-lighting only becomes a pest in my case when I view something that has the Top and Bottom black bars). I've noticed your Standard settings produce less flash-lighting then your movie settings---but I haven't been able to identify which setting exactly is the flash-lighting culprit. Thanks in advance for any advice

Unfortunately there is not too much that can be done about the flash lighting. I am sure everyone notices them when watching blu-rays that have a wider aspect ratio then the TV itself....

The tv then has the difficult job of keeping the black bars inky while keeping the actual film bright. It's not possible. The "Shadow Detail" control becomes useless in that case.

The only way to make the blacks inkier and the flash lighting less noticeable is to increase the ambient light in the room itself, and let the screen filter hide it. I used to view plasmas in total darkness. With this set I have my ceiling light dimmer set to around 30%.
post #1459 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I am glad to hear everyone is enjoying the "Standard" settings I posted.

They clear up the majority of the problems: overly blue grayscale, overly sharp image, overly aggressive auto motion.
post #1460 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unfortunately there is not too much that can be done about the flash lighting. I am sure everyone notices them when watching blu-rays that have a wider aspect ratio then the TV itself....

The tv then has the difficult job of keeping the black bars inky while keeping the actual film bright. It's not possible. The "Shadow Detail" control becomes useless in that case.

The only way to make the blacks inkier and the flash lighting less noticeable is to increase the ambient light in the room itself, and let the screen filter hide it. I used to view plasmas in total darkness. With this set I have my ceiling light dimmer set to around 30%.

Thank you. I was doing the opposite--trying to keep the room as dark as possible ( not hard for me to do since I have the TV in my bedroom). I'll try the ambient light in the room to see if this helps.

LB
post #1461 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by code4code5 View Post

From the Samsung web site:

1. Title
Firmware for LED TV D60** / D64** / D6500 series
2. Applicable Model
D6000SF / D6050TF / D6400UF / D6420UF / D6450UF / D6500VF
3. Carrier or Corporate Customer
all customers
4. Description
- Enhance firmware security
- This firmware will decrease flickering problem on 3D mode. (only 3D model)
- Change the way to get out of Store Demo Mode
- Change the type of information of Info banner
- Prevent escaping issue when pressing volume button on video apps(Netflix, Vudu, etc)
- Support Remote Service
- For netflix 3.1 service.

code4code5: Thank you. I noticed that this new update was listed on my menu in the "alternate software" section when I first installed this TV earlier this week. I didn't update it because I didn't really know what they meant by "alternate software"(with this menu title it didn't seem like it would be a firmware upgrade to me at the time) However, last night I got the message to update the TV and noticed it was to the same version that was in the "alternate software" menu. Now that I have upgraded the alternate software button is grayed-out. Was this a one-time menu option then associated with initial setup? Or does Samsung generally load the new firmware in the alternate software menu first? Just curious.

LB
post #1462 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

General question to the forum: Which Bluray player do you recommend for use with this TV. (I currently have the old Samsung BD-P2500 that I bought back in 2008 connected. Other than the very slow disk and movie load times the 2500 PQ seems to be okay) Do any of the new Samsung players offer better PQ than the 2500?

LB
post #1463 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 AM

Liked: 13
I know to change the names of your inputs you go to Source-Tools-Edit Name and it worked for my TV input but it won't work for changing the name of my BD player.
I just get a choice of 'Information' or 'Refresh'
Any way around this?
post #1464 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Redwolf4k: You do know this TV well! I just turned up the lights in the room and that helped minimize the flash-lighting on my TV. Merci

LB
post #1465 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Redwolf4k: You do know this TV well! I just turned up the lights in the room and that helped minimize the flash-lighting on my TV. Merci

He is correct I've got 4 LED light strips velcroed across the back of my set it looks amazing no flashlights period while the room is mainly a dark setting still. Lots of people have done it here mayb I'll post pics later
post #1466 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

He is correct I've got 4 LED light strips velcroed across the back of my set it looks amazing no flashlights period while the room is mainly a dark setting still. Lots of people have done it here mayb I'll post pics later

Interesting. I would like to see what you are talking about and know where I can buy. These light strips help alleviate the flash-lighting ?

Edit:
jbdawson, is this what you are talking about? ( I found this on Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/LED-Backlight-...owViewpoints=1

LB
post #1467 of 3068 Old 11-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Does anyone know if it is worth paying extra for a 7050 over a 6050 series? The reason I ask is that Costco is having an early black friday sale tomorrow:

55" 7050 will be $1000 off ($2699 now $1699)
55" 6050 will be $800 off ($1899 now $1099)

I can't decide if it is worth the extra $600. I'm going to be upgrading from a Samsung LNT-5271f. That TV has given me troubles in the past, and I am hoping these newer sets have better QC.
post #1468 of 3068 Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcee View Post

Does anyone know if it is worth paying extra for a 7050 over a 6050 series? The reason I ask is that Costco is having an early black friday sale tomorrow:

55" 7050 will be $1000 off ($2699 now $1699)
55" 6050 will be $800 off ($1899 now $1099)

I can't decide if it is worth the extra $600. I'm going to be upgrading from a Samsung LNT-5271f. That TV has given me troubles in the past, and I am hoping these newer sets have better QC.

How do you know about this deal at Costco? I've been waiting to find some info from them. Is it in-store only? On-line only? Raincheck on the TV? I always prefer buying my TVs there.
post #1469 of 3068 Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting. I would like to see what you are talking about and know where I can buy. These light strips help alleviate the flash-lighting ?

Edit:
jbdawson, is this what you are talking about? ( I found this on Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/LED-Backlight-...owViewpoints=1

Any light in the room will hide the flash lighting and make the blacks look inky because of the screen filter built onto the tv's panel. The more light in the room, the better the blacks look.

Of course not everyone wants to watch a movie with the lights on, but I urge people to find a medium that they can deal with, perhaps dimming the lights to 50%.

Play around with the ambient light in the room until you see the inky black effect disappear, and then turn the lights back up until it returns.
post #1470 of 3068 Old 11-20-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:

Beside the flash lighting issue. Is there any major issue for this set? I want to get one, BB has it on sale for a very good price.

Westinghouse 47w1 Samsung 55C650
Cox HD Multi Rooms DVR
Sony BD
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page