Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1501 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Greetings... I thought I'd jump in as I picked up a 55" 6050 at BJ's yesterday on their Black Friday price. It is replacing a 50" Samsung HLP series (2004) DLP set.

I'm not sure I have a ton of new insights to contribute other than to consolidate a bunch of noob facts for any other new people that come along the thread and skip to the end, rather than wading through all 50 pages.

This thing is incredibly easy to put together and looks great in place. I'm really thrilled with the overall look, but the power cord could be longer.

The biggest watch out on setup is that I plugged my HD TiVo into HDMI 1. Reading this post, I later discovered that's a mistake, and moving it to HDMI 3 later in the evening produced a marked improvement in PQ. Could someone expand on the difference between HDMI ports 1 (DVI), 2 (ARC), and 3/4? I can't find any explanation in Samsung's documentation.

The screen is a little glossier than what I had hoped (especially coming off the DLP). My room is semi-bright. If you don't have any light control in the room, and want to watch during the day, this likely isn't the set for you.

Initial PQ is shockingly bad. I found the settings suggested in this thread by redwolf4k are simply spectacular. I was originally thinking of them as a starting point, but they're so good, that I plan on simply enjoying the set a while before starting to get antsy about additional calibration/tweaking.

For a < $1100 TV, I'm thrilled!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutdotnet View Post

Ok I did a full calibration, will be posting the graphs and settings tomorrow. A few quick notes though.

"Movie" mode is pretty decent out of the box. Grayscale didn't need a bunch of adjustment. Color on the other hand wasn't to good. Even though "Auto" fell into the CIE chart for rec 709, there was some pretty serious errors. Was able to fix all of it for the most part, the color blue being the worst offender, but not bad at all.

I also calibrated game mode (going to do input lag tests tomorrow). Have to live with the color on this one, as the "custom" color space is shared (i.e. I cannot make a custom color space just for game mode).

Also if you have your contrast in movie mode set to anything higher than 85, make sure you are not introducing colors in a contrast test pattern. Can still get PLENTY of light output out of these sets. If I remember right, on the stock movie settings, I was reading dang hear 90ftL (i.e. give you a headache type bright).

Anyways, will be posting full settings/charts etc.... tomorrow.

I appreciate your time, can never have enough info on this set I patiently await your results.
post #1503 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 01:21 PM

Hello everyone. Been lurking around the forum for a while now. My old Samsung DLP finally bit the dust. With BF right around the corner I've been in heavy research mode for a new set. After doing quite a bit of reading I'm really exhausted. There are so many opinions that I'm really having a hard time digesting it all. So I come to you all for advice. This set will be for the basement/man cave/rec area. Recessed lighting throughout not very bright. The size of the room and placement of the TV would be so that you're 12ft away from the screen. On to the decision.

The two sets I am torn between are the Samsung U55/60D6000 and the LG LW5600.

Things that are important to me in the new set:

- Image Quality ***
- Build Quality **
- Longevity *

After reading about the flashlighting/clouding. I start to lean towards the LG with local dimming. I don't really care for 3D. Since they're both priced the same, the 3D seems like an added bonus, which in turn makes the LG seem even more attractive.

Are these my best two options this BF for an LED based set in the $1099-1400 range?

Looking forward to any response to help me along in any which direction.

Thanking you all in advance,

Disgruntled, yet excited man with no sleep
post #1504 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I did a full calibration, will be posting the graphs and settings tomorrow. A few quick notes though.

"Movie" mode is pretty decent out of the box. Grayscale didn't need a bunch of adjustment. Color on the other hand wasn't to good. Even though "Auto" fell into the CIE chart for rec 709, there was some pretty serious errors. Was able to fix all of it for the most part, the color blue being the worst offender, but not bad at all.

I also calibrated game mode (going to do input lag tests tomorrow). Have to live with the color on this one, as the "custom" color space is shared (i.e. I cannot make a custom color space just for game mode).

Also if you have your contrast in movie mode set to anything higher than 85, make sure you are not introducing colors in a contrast test pattern. Can still get PLENTY of light output out of these sets. If I remember right, on the stock movie settings, I was reading dang hear 90ftL (i.e. give you a headache type bright).

Anyways, will be posting full settings/charts etc.... tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the results, especially related to the CMS.
post #1505 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Can't wait to see the results, especially related to the CMS.

redwolf4K: as you know I am a fan of your settings recommendations for this TV. Your settings saved me from the shock I received from the out-of-the-box Standard setting...

Just curious did you use a calibration process to come up with your settings, or just eye-balled it. Either way they look pretty good to me.

LB
post #1506 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_9k View Post

Hello everyone. Been lurking around the forum for a while now. My old Samsung DLP finally bit the dust. With BF right around the corner I've been in heavy research mode for a new set. After doing quite a bit of reading I'm really exhausted. There are so many opinions that I'm really having a hard time digesting it all. So I come to you all for advice. This set will be for the basement/man cave/rec area. Recessed lighting throughout not very bright. The size of the room and placement of the TV would be so that you're 12ft away from the screen. On to the decision.

The two sets I am torn between are the Samsung U55/60D6000 and the LG LW5600.

Things that are important to me in the new set:

- Image Quality ***
- Build Quality **
- Longevity *

After reading about the flashlighting/clouding. I start to lean towards the LG with local dimming. I don't really care for 3D. Since they're both priced the same, the 3D seems like an added bonus, which in turn makes the LG seem even more attractive.

Are these my best two options this BF for an LED based set in the $1099-1400 range?

Looking forward to any response to help me along in any which direction.

Thanking you all in advance,

Disgruntled, yet excited man with no sleep

IMO the decision might be more about LCD/LED vs Plasma. I personally chose LED because I prefer the LED "pop" or vibrant colors to the darker ( movie screen like) plasmas.

However, choosing LED/LCD TVs ( no matter LG, Sony $$$, Samsung, Sharp) means you accept some issues like flash-lighting, clouding, or ghosting in 3D. Flash-lighting or clouding generally disappear when you get some content on the screen unless of course you are viewing material with the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen ( then you see the flashlights in the black bars but not the content) Some LED TVs suffer more than others (regardless of the manufacturer or brand)

Check out this article:
"Nearly every LCD TV on the market has a problem: uniformity. Certain areas of the screen are going to be brighter than other areas. On dark scenes, this can be visible and sometimes distracting."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

Plasmas also have their issues like "floating or popping blacks", screen burn-in ( older models), or low humming or buzzing while powered on. Like LEDs some plasma TVs regardless of manufacture suffer more from these issues than others.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7.../?tag=mncol;1n

Check out the TVs you are interested in:
www.flatpanelshd.com
www.cnet.com
www.pcworld.com/reviews
www.televisioninfo.com
www.hometheater.com/

Likewise do check www.amazon.com to see what customers are saying about your favorite TVs Samsung U55/60D6000 currently 4 stars on Amazon and the LG LW5600 currently 4.5 Stars on Amazon.

P.S. Not sure what your thoughts are on internet TV--however, I can tell you that the Samsung SmartHub rocks. So much so that you really don't need IMO to purchase a bluray or DVD player. Samsung Smart Hubs enables you to download Vudu ( 1080P video with Dolby Digital + sound) , Cinemax, Netflix etc. along with several other apps that you can chose to download on the Samsung SmartHub like "Wealth TV" and from what I read their library of apps will continue to grow. Does LG offer this kind of service on their TVs ?

LB
post #1507 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbbransc View Post

The D6000 is WiFi capable, but you have to buy the separate USB dongle. If that's your goal, you are better served to buy the D6050 from Costco/Sams/etc. They are the EXACT same TV and are the same price but the D6050 includes the USB dongle. Also at Costco you get 30-day price match, 90-day return, and 2-yr warranty free.

This is true. The 6003 is missing 2 HDMI inputs, the contract ratio is 3M:1 instead of 5M:1, and it is missing some auto-formating PC setting. All that, and it's only $100 cheaper than the D6000.

Thx for doing this!! I've been trying to do some calibrations since Sunday and haven't been happy with anything yet. To date, I've been using the Cinema mode for regular TV and movies and Natural mode for sports (with AMP turned to clear).

You mentioned Game mode. My D6050 only has (4) modes: Dynamic, Standard, Natural, and Cinema. Dynamic is completely unwatchable. Standard is so bright everything feels washed out. I've already mentioned Natural and Cinema.

Yeah for whatever reason, game mode is not under picture options. I think it is general options (will check when I get home).

It turns off some features, and locks you into using "standard" picture mode. But you can change the color temp, and do a two point white balance adjustment (locks you out of the 10-point). But for my calibration even on movie mode I didn't do the 10-point, as there wasn't really a need. Sure I could have used it to tweak the image to make it even better, but this isn't my critical viewing TV.
post #1508 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have had the 55" 6000 for a few days now and with redwolf4k's settings I am pleased with what i see. When i first got the set I was using HDMI 1. I changed to HDMI 3 and re-applied the settings with a good result. However whenever i turn on the set now it defaults back to HDMI1 even tho there isnt anything plugged in there. Anyone know how to make it default to HDMI3?

thanks

Sharp LC-60SQ15U
post #1509 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 PM

i Just picked up a UN40D6000, can someone show me some calibration settings that will work for me. Thanks
post #1510 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Ok here are the settings and graphs. May spend more time in "Game Mode", but honestly it is what it is.

I also did an input lag test. Seems movie mode (with everything turned off) shows about 70ms of lag, with game mode showing 40ms.

If any settings are not listed, it means they should be turned off. I supposed set AMP to a setting you like. But things like noise reduction, auto ANYTHING turn off.

Movie Mode

Pic Mode : Movie
Backlight : 12
Contrast : 80
Brightness : 43
Sharpness : 10
Color : 50
Tint : 50
Gamma : 0

Shadow Detail : 0 (it is an Auto setting, personally I fear anything automatic lol)

Color Space : Custom
Red
R : 45
Green
R: 7
G : 60
B: 3
Blue
R : 3
B : 52
Yellow
R : 51
G : 55
Cyan
G : 57
B : 60
Magenta
R : 44
B : 46

White Balance
R-Offset : 25
G-Offset : 25
B-Offset : 25
R-Gain : 28
G-Gain : 25
B-Gain : 30

Color Temp : Warm 2

Game Mode
Backlight : 11
Contrast : 75 (I noticed anything above 80 red was starting to be introduced).
Brightness : 43
Sharpness : 10
Color : 47
Tint : 50

Color Space : Auto

White Balance
R-Offset : 25
G-Offset : 25
B-Offset : 26
R-Gain : 32
G-Gain : 24
B-Gain : 28

Color Temp : Warm 2

Both settings output appx. 55 ftL. Which is PLENTY bright. For me it is borderline to bright, but I am normally a plasma guy. And this TV will be watched in a lit room. FYI, if more or less light output is wanted, adjust the backlight. If you adjust the contrast throw all the settings out of the window.

This is not a substitute for a real calibration. I am not a professional calibrator (I have done about 15-20 TV's). My settings may or may not work for you. If you really enjoy your TV and plan on owning it for years to come, seriously think about hiring a professional (like one listed on here!).

Feel free to ask me any questions.

*First two pictures are Movie Mode, last pic is Game (I forgot to save the color gamut of Game Mode).
LL
LL
LL
post #1511 of 3071 Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post

I have had the 55" 6000 for a few days now and with redwolf4k's settings I am pleased with what i see. When i first got the set I was using HDMI 1. I changed to HDMI 3 and re-applied the settings with a good result. However whenever i turn on the set now it defaults back to HDMI1 even tho there isnt anything plugged in there. Anyone know how to make it default to HDMI3?

thanks

Turn HDMI CEC (Anynet) off, your input should now stick. Hope this helps.
post #1512 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 12:23 AM

Is there a difference in picture cualaty if a use hdmi 3 o 4
post #1513 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

IMO the decision might be more about LCD/LED vs Plasma. I personally chose LED because I prefer the LED "pop" or vibrant colors to the darker ( movie screen like) plasmas.

However, choosing LED/LCD TVs ( no matter LG, Sony $$$, Samsung, Sharp) means you accept some issues like flash-lighting, clouding, or ghosting in 3D. Flash-lighting or clouding generally disappear when you get some content on the screen unless of course you are viewing material with the black bars on the top and bottom of the screen ( then you see the flashlights in the black bars but not the content) Some LED TVs suffer more than others (regardless of the manufacturer or brand)

Check out this article:
"Nearly every LCD TV on the market has a problem: uniformity. Certain areas of the screen are going to be brighter than other areas. On dark scenes, this can be visible and sometimes distracting."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

Plasmas also have their issues like "floating or popping blacks", screen burn-in ( older models), or low humming or buzzing while powered on. Like LEDs some plasma TVs regardless of manufacture suffer more from these issues than others.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7.../?tag=mncol;1n

Check out the TVs you are interested in:
www.flatpanelshd.com
www.cnet.com
www.pcworld.com/reviews
www.televisioninfo.com
www.hometheater.com/

Likewise do check www.amazon.com to see what customers are saying about your favorite TVs Samsung U55/60D6000 currently 4 stars on Amazon and the LG LW5600 currently 4.5 Stars on Amazon.

P.S. Not sure what your thoughts are on internet TV--however, I can tell you that the Samsung SmartHub rocks. So much so that you really don't need IMO to purchase a bluray or DVD player. Samsung Smart Hubs enables you to download Vudu ( 1080P video with Dolby Digital + sound) , Cinemax, Netflix etc. along with several other apps that you can chose to download on the Samsung SmartHub like "Wealth TV" and from what I read their library of apps will continue to grow. Does LG offer this kind of service on their TVs ?

Thanks for the response LBJ2!

Went again and looked at the D6000. The picture is pretty awesome even with whatever what was done to it.
post #1514 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 03:59 AM

Nutdotnet -

I plan on giving your settings a try this evening. Can you offer some advice on the 'Natural' setting? I have been using that for my sports watching as I like for it to be very bright and 'pop'.

I noticed your sharpness is VERY low. Are you more of a naturalist in this regard? If I were to raise that to say, 25, would it affect any of the other settings?

Thx for your work on this! Can't wait to give them a try.
post #1515 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_ss View Post

i Just picked up a UN40D6000, can someone show me some calibration settings that will work for me. Thanks

Suggest you look through some of the pages in this thread -more than a few are posted.
post #1516 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 AM

Thought I'd throw in the influence that Bias lighting makes on whatever settings you have/change.
For me it makes a fairly noticeable difference and most visitors that see my UN46D6040 concur when I switch back and forth between having the bias lighting on and off. Well worth the $20 investment for me.
post #1517 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmd1 View Post

new software update available today version 1023

So anyone notice any differences?
post #1518 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri in Mtl View Post

So anyone notice any differences?

I had to download my Netflix apps again after I loaded the new TV firmware version 1023. Since the 1023 update also updated the Netflix app my old Netflix app wouldn't play any longer--I would have thought this was automatic with the TV update but I guess not. Or am I missing something?

LB
post #1519 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 06:53 AM

Anyone notice how washed out the screen becomes when you are not viewing the TV directly head-on? I watch TV while in the kitchen as well and the PQ is abysmal. I keep walking back into the living room area to make sure it still looks good.
post #1520 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone notice how washed out the screen becomes when you are not viewing the TV directly head-on? I watch TV while in the kitchen as well and the PQ is abysmal. I keep walking back into the living room area to make sure it still looks good.

Today's LED TVs are notorious for their poor viewing angles. Most start to lose resolution at about 30% +\\- off angle.

LB
post #1521 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 AM

I ask because I'm currently comparing the D6050 against the LG 55LV4400. The LG slightly darkens as I increase my viewing angle where the Sammy brightens. Any setting to help account for this?

This has my wife wanting to keep the LG versus the Sammy, although in every other comparison, I favor the Sammy.
post #1522 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I ask because I'm currently comparing the D6050 against the LG 55LV4400. The LG slightly darkens as I increase my viewing angle where the Sammy brightens. Any setting to help account for this?

This has my wife wanting to keep the LG versus the Sammy, although in every other comparison, I favor the Sammy.

How does the Samsung Smart Hub compare to the equivalent on the LG? Compared to IMO my Sony ( with Yahoo widgets) the Samsung Smart hub is much better.

LB
post #1523 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:

How does the Samsung Smart Hub compare to the equivalent on the LG? Compared to IMO my Sony ( with Yahoo widgets) the Samsung Smart hub is much better.

The Smart Hub doesn't really interest me. I have a HTPC hooked up to my home theater so I can stream all I want with relative ease (connected, not WiFi).

That said, the LG 55LV4400 is not internet capable.
post #1524 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Color Space : Custom
Red
R : 45
Green
R: 7
G : 60
B: 3
Blue
R : 3
B : 52
Yellow
R : 51
G : 55
Cyan
G : 57
B : 60
Magenta
R : 44
B : 46

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Thanks for all of your hard work on the calibration. What do you think of the visual result of the CMS adjustments you made? They look green and washed out on my end. Outside of these color adjustments everything seems to fall in line with test discs. I still cannot get used to the color adjustment. You stated the "Auto" color mode falls in the CIE chart, which many other professional website reviews do confirm, yet you said something was still not right.

Was this Luminance? Or?

There seems to be some sort of green issue with these panels, when it lines up with the CIE chart, the colors are a tad tinged green. The Samsung created "Native" color gamut actually shrinks the green point in comparison to the REC 709 point, which fixes the problem, and brings skin tones and sand/tan colored things back to a realistic level.
post #1525 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_9k View Post

Thanks for the response LBJ2!

Went again and looked at the D6000. The picture is pretty awesome even with whatever what was done to it.

Even with the significant flash-lighting on the bottom corners of my 6000 which goes away as soon as I get content on the screen--I am happy with the PQ of this set ( with Redwolf's recommended settings in this forum). Likewise, the Samsung SmartHUB for me was an unexpected bonus.

LB
post #1526 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 AM

I plan on running an ethernet cord from my airport extreme to my UN40d6000, what do i use to stream my content from my iMac?
post #1527 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I plan on running an ethernet cord from my airport extreme to my UN40d6000, what do i use to stream my content from my iMac?

For streaming the Apple TV @$99 is pretty good and allows for iOS streaming too.

If you can mange an Apple mini HDMi cable from your iMac to the Tv depending upon the year your iMac was built you can also get full web browser with flash support on your Tv too.

There is another free app you can use to stream iOS devices if you are interested.

LB
post #1528 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:

For streaming the Apple TV @$99 is pretty good and allows for iOS streaming too.

If you can mange an Apple mini HDMi cable from your iMac to the Tv depending upon the year your iMac was built you can also get full web browser with flash support on your Tv too.

There is another free app you can use to stream iOS devices if you are interested.

I though you could stream without having to buy a 3rd party device?
post #1529 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I though you could stream without having to buy a 3rd party device?

I haven't been able to stream anything MAC to my Sony or Samsung TVs without an "airplay" enabled device or AppleTV. I also use a free app called iMediaShare for iOS devices. (If you figure out a way to do this directly with the Sammy 6000 please let me know.)

I have however been able to stream PC content directly to the Sony and Sammy TV pretty easily for example via DNLA without issue so far.

LB
post #1530 of 3071 Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

I haven't been able to stream anything MAC to my Sony or Samsung TVs without an "airplay" enabled device or AppleTV. I also use a free app called iMediaShare for iOS devices. (If you figure out a way to do this directly with the Sammy 6000 please let me know.)

I have however been able to stream PC content directly to the Sony and Sammy TV pretty easily for example via DNLA without issue so far.

I found this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...6#post13898106
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page