Official Samsung UNXXD6000 Owners' Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new 46D6000 has flashlights on all 4 corners and some clouding on vaious parts of the screen. You can especially notice the flashlights in dark/black scenes. I think I'm going to take it back to store. The question is, should I try my luck on another D6000? This is disouraging. I have a 46" quattron in my room which I like but I went through 2 of those sets with similar problems until the third one was acceptable. What are your thoughts? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 05:41 AM

Did you loosen the screws on the back of the panel? Also, what do you have your backlight set at? My set is being delivered today. I bought the UN55D6000. I will post pictures and settings later on this evening.
post #153 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anybody know if Samsung's pathetic (and craptacular) CE Dimming is capable of being disabled in the 2011 models? CE Dimming is where the LEDs shut off completely during a very dark/black scene, making for a very unnatural transition to "black" from a lit background. The 2009 models could disable it via the service menu, but I'm interested in finding out if the 2011 models can have that "feature" disabled in any way. The 2010 models, like the one I have, do not allow for disabling of CE Dimming, and thus one loses a very great amount of fine tuning control because of the necessary sacrifices to PQ in order to bypass the "always on" functionality of the CE Dimming feature.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #154 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
Does anybody know if Samsung's pathetic (and craptacular) CE Dimming is capable of being disabled in the 2011 models? CE Dimming is where the LEDs shut off completely during a very dark/black scene, making for a very unnatural transition to "black" from a lit background. The 2009 models could disable it via the service menu, but I'm interested in finding out if the 2011 models can have that "feature" disabled in any way. The 2010 models, like the one I have, do not allow for disabling of CE Dimming, and thus one loses a very great amount of fine tuning control because of the necessary sacrifices to PQ in order to bypass the "always on" functionality of the CE Dimming feature.
I pulled this from the CNET forums:

Put the tv in standby mode, then press on the remote: INFO then MENU then MUTE and then POWER to put the TV on again. The TV will now start up and the service menu will apear on the left.

Scroll down to Advanced then press the numerals 0000 on the remote.
You will see a box with CE DIMMING in the second or third column along (there are lots of boxes), scroll (you cannot jump to it) to it then click ENTER (on the remote).
Then click on Standard or Movie then go left or right to select on or off.

Then power off the tv. When you start it up again, the picture settings will revert to default, so youll need to record your settings before attempting this.

And there you have it, no auto-dimming. Beware messing around in the service menu though; unless you know what youre doing just jump in and out following the instructions

If you try this out, let me know if it works.
post #155 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCarl View Post
Did you loosen the screws on the back of the panel? Also, what do you have your backlight set at? My set is being delivered today. I bought the UN55D6000. I will post pictures and settings later on this evening.
I've tried varying levels of backlight and brightness but the flashlighting in the corners is pretty strong especially when watching a widescreen movie with the black bars at the top and bottom. I will try to loosen the screws to help with the clouding. Does loosening screws generally help this situation?

I hate that we have to fix our own problems right out of the box. Do you think it's worth trying to get another set?
post #156 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM

I've had my 6050 for about five days now and I enjoy it overall. I did see the flash-lighting effect in the corners last night and turned down the back light to 10 and it helped a lot. I still haven't loosened any screws, I am not sure which ones to losen and how much.

Anyway, the point of my post: Does anyone know how to rename the inputs on this model? I have spent 45-60 minutes trying to find out how and can't figure it out. There are dashes to the right of the current names (HDMI1, HDMI2, etc) which makes me think you should be able to rename them, but I can't find it anywhere.

TIA!
post #157 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Put the tv in standby mode, then press on the remote: INFO then MENU then MUTE and then POWER to put the TV on again. The TV will now start up and the service menu will apear on the left.

You will see a box with CE DIMMING in the second or third column along (there are lots of boxes), scroll (you cannot jump to it) to it then click ENTER (on the remote).

Then power off the tv. When you start it up again, the picture settings will revert to default, so youll need to record your settings before attempting this.

And there you have it, no auto-dimming. Beware messing around in the service menu though; unless you know what youre doing just jump in and out following the instructions

Not sure this works for 2011 models O thought these were the steps for the 2009 models?
post #158 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 AM

JUst Bought the UN55D6000 Yesterday at futurshop in canada... My panel model : H301... do you know if the SQ panel still there for the 2011 model??? I got the flashlighting problem in the 4 corners.. For the people with the same problem.. Could you post the panel Version of your tv please.. I don't know what to do....bring it back or not...
post #159 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 AM

I too have a 55' with the H301 panel. I have only read comments on this forum and there is some consensus that the panels are Samsungs, but frankly I have not been able to discern where that source of that information is. I have now had the panel for two weeks and I have not had the flashlighting issue as of yet.

I did notice it was very prominent in the store display model when I bought the TV. However, when I went back early this week, the serious flashlighting was gone. I asked one of the managers if they did anything to it, and he said no. So it may be that the panel flashlighting diminishes a bit after it been on for a while - but I am not sure. I think someone made that comment in this forum.
post #160 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder357 View Post

I too have a 55' with the H301 panel. I have only read comments on this forum and there is some consensus that the panels are Samsungs, but frankly I have not been able to discern where that source of that information is. I have now had the panel for two weeks and I have not had the flashlighting issue as of yet.

I did notice it was very prominent in the store display model when I bought the TV. However, when I went back early this week, the serious flashlighting was gone. I asked one of the managers if they did anything to it, and he said no. So it may be that the panel flashlighting diminishes a bit after it been on for a while - but I am not sure. I think someone made that comment in this forum.

What is the best way to check for Flashlighting on my new set? It will be here Monday and want to be sure am not plagued by it
post #161 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatbugs View Post

My new 46D6000 has flashlights on all 4 corners and some clouding on vaious parts of the screen. You can especially notice the flashlights in dark/black scenes. I think I'm going to take it back to store. The question is, should I try my luck on another D6000? This is disouraging. I have a 46" quattron in my room which I like but I went through 2 of those sets with similar problems until the third one was acceptable. What are your thoughts? thanks.

Give it a few days. My corner flashlightings are pretty dim now after loosening the back panel screws. It was a very noticeable improvement after 24 hours. I am keeping it because it is actually acceptable now and my chance of getting a better one is less than 50/50 judging from what I've been reading.
post #162 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post

Give it a few days. My corner flashlightings are pretty dim now after loosening the back panel screws. It was a very noticeable improvement after 24 hours. I am keeping it because it is actually acceptable now and my chance of getting a better one is less than 50/50 judging from what I've been reading.

thanks, perhaps I will give it till the weekend.
post #163 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatbugs View Post

thanks, perhaps I will give it till the weekend.

If you have a costco, try the UN46D6050, i just purchased one with very minimal flashlighting and no clouding whatsoever. More money for me, but i love the picture and the PC Streaming capabilities.

This of course is after trying out 3 sony LCD's, namely two 46EX710 that was so bad, even my little boy said, "why is pikachu (pokemon) yellow and light yellow now" and my wife says "why is there a light on four corners of the TV"

Now wifey thinks i know nothing about TV's since she told me to try the Samsung from Costco's
post #164 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 05:58 PM

Just arrived home from work to find my new UN55D6000 setting in my entertainment center. My wife does not bother with changing any settings because she knows how anal I am about my home audio and video products. Here is my initial impression:

The picture is excellent even when viewing standard broadcasts. I am currently watching Law and Order: SVU and it is definitely a large step up from my old set (LN52A630). The black level is amazing. In extremely dark scenes the blacks begin to crush out the details but not to an excessive point.

The color is decent for out of the box settings but a bit saturated. Definitely needs a bit of tweeking. I have yet to adjust blur reduction settings or the auto motion settings but although I like the camera on rails look, it seems to be causing artifacts and a bit of smearing. It is not noticeable to the untrained eye but I picked it up right away. It definitely needs to be turned off.

There is minor flashlighting in the 4 corners but nothing like what has been described in earlier posts. At most it extends a half inch to an inch from the corners. There are no dead pixels and there has been no skipping or jumping when watching cable tv.

I can not comment on the audio quality because I have my set connected to an A/V receiver and 7.1 surround sound system. I feel that if you have the money to buy a set at this price, you should invest in external sound as well.

So far I am very pleased with my purchase. It seems as though the issues identified in previous posts are nothing more than the luck of the draw. I am going to spend the next few hours adjusting my settings as well as experimenting with some of the Samsung Apps. I will post additional thoughts, settings, and panel number in a few. So far, I am very happy and believe Samsung's 2011 models are a vast improvment over all.
post #165 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 07:52 PM

Here our my current settings. Try them out and let me know what you think. If you make any tweeks or suggestions let me know.

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 12
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 48
Tint: G50/R50

Screen adjustment submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment and Screen submenus: [Grayed out]

Advanced settings submenu
Black tone: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Shadow Detail: +2
Gamma: +1
Expert Pattern: Off
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
Motion Lighting: Off
xvYCC: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off

Color Space submenu:
Red: Red 59, Green 5, Blue 0
Green: Red 20, Green 55, Blue 3
Blue: Red 0, Green 5, Blue 100
Yellow: Red 57, Green 50, Blue 0
Cyan: Red 14, Green 51, Blue 55
Magenta: Red 50, Green 5, Blue 59

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 24
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 26
R-Gain: 31
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 25

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red 5, Green 4, Blue 4
Interval 2: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 3: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 2
Interval 4: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 5: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 1
Interval 6: Red 0, Green 1, Blue 0
Interval 7: Red 1, Green 1, Blue 1
Interval 8: Red 2, Green 2, Blue 3
Interval 9: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 1
Interval 10: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 3

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm1
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal
Film mode: Off [grayed out]
Auto motion plus: Custom
-- Custom settings:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
post #166 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 PM

I also set up the network. So far the apps seem to run smoothly. For some reason I can not get netflix to work. Whenever I choose netflix it says that there is no internet connection yet when I check my network status it says that I am connected. Is anyone else having this issue?
post #167 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

^Not sure but just curious which Wifi dongle are you using? as the D6000 doesn't come with one
post #168 of 3071 Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post
^Not sure but just curious which Wifi dongle are you using? as the D6000 doesn't come with one
I use a powerline network so I am directly connected via ether net cable. My xbox connects just fine as well as my tv. I have tried other apps and they work such as the ESPN sports tracker and vudu. Netflix runs great on my xbox just not the tv.
post #169 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Those are the steps for the 2009 models. The 2010 models have a different access method for the SM, with no option to disable CE Dimming. I'm hoping somebody here with a model knows whether or not you can disable this feature. If you can, even if it's via the SM, I'd be more than happy to go buy one to replace my 2010 model. You can't believe the sacrifices one has to make in order to bypass CE Dimming on 2010 models (Brightness at >45, HDMI Black Level: Normal, Black Tone: Off, Gamma: ≥0).

post #170 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
You've gotta be kidding me. The panel lottery AND flashlighting are back again this year??

WTB engineers that actually learn from their mistakes...

post #171 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 04:48 AM

Last night i start the T.V again after work.. and at my suprise the flashlighting was not there anymore..I don't know if it's me.. or my eyes that night.. But I was very amaze by that.. What the hell .. LOOL
post #172 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
You've gotta be kidding me. The panel lottery AND flashlighting are back again this year??

WTB engineers that actually learn from their mistakes...
Read the D7000 and D8000 thread and you will find that corner flashlighting and clouding is also there. Those higher end sets are not immune. The good news is, those strong corner flashlightings are only momentary noticeable during apps startup or input change. While you are actually watching something, the set does a very good job of dimming those corner flashlightings. My set do not have noticeable clouding and it does not get worst as the set heats up. So far anyway.
post #173 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I looked at the panel on the 40" D6000 model in the store and its seems to be the top 3 panels in the Samsung Section here.

The D7000 and D8000 were both the latest generation last panels in the Samsung Section.

Just a FYI, last years C530s were the 4th pic in the Samsung Section, and the C630s and C650s were the latest generation last panels in the Samsung Section.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #174 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM

Change to my settings. The color seemed a bit washed out so I boosted the color setting to 55. Noticeably better but expect some more changes in the future.

Oh, I also played some Call of Duty: Black Ops this morning. It looked amazing. I did not notice any type of smearing or motion blur what so ever. If it is there, it is not discernable to my eyes. Still working on the netflix issue.
post #175 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I use a powerline network so I am directly connected via ether net cable. My xbox connects just fine as well as my tv. I have tried other apps and they work such as the ESPN sports tracker and vudu. Netflix runs great on my xbox just not the tv.

Quote:

Change to my settings. The color seemed a bit washed out so I boosted the color setting to 55. Noticeably better but expect some more changes in the future.

Oh, I also played some Call of Duty: Black Ops this morning. It looked amazing. I did not notice any type of smearing or motion blur what so ever. If it is there, it is not discernable to my eyes. Still working on the netflix issue.

I see thanks for the response JPCarl, as far as Black Ops and online lag was that to a minimum?
post #176 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

I see thanks for the response JPCarl, as far as Black Ops and online lag was that to a minimum?

I will have to run an actual lag test but from what I could tell, lag was not noticeable enough to affect gameplay. It was definitely at a minimum. In fact, I couldn't notice any at all but I am sure it is there.

Update to flashlighting. The flashlighting that was in the four corners has diminished significantly. It is barely there.

Netflix is also now up and running. I figured I would try to open it up again and this time it connected quickly. First, it asked if I was a Netflix user. After selecting yes, I was provided with a code. I then logged on to my netflix account on my laptop, input the code and after about 30 seconds or so my tv connected to my account. My son is currently watching Leap Frog cartoons and there is not skipping, jumping, or pausing. It seems that any movie or show you choose streams in HD when using the Smart Hub. I only have one complaint. You are unable to access your tv settings when viewing netflix. Right now my son is stuck with the black bars on the sides. You can not even change the picture size. Other than that, it is not too bad at all.

*Edit*
When viewing Netflix you can press the Tools button on the remote to access a few basic settings. You can change the picture mode to dynamic, standard, natural, or movie. You can also adjust the sound mode and sleep timer. Those are the only settings you can change while viewing netflix.
post #177 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

I will have to run an actual lag test but from what I could tell, lag was not noticeable enough to affect gameplay. It was definitely at a minimum. In fact, I couldn't notice any at all but I am sure it is there.

Update to flashlighting. The flashlighting that was in the four corners has diminished significantly. It is barely there.

Netflix is also now up and running. I figured I would try to open it up again and this time it connected quickly. First, it asked if I was a Netflix user. After selecting yes, I was provided with a code. I then logged on to my netflix account on my laptop, input the code and after about 30 seconds or so my tv connected to my account. My son is currently watching Leap Frog cartoons and there is not skipping, jumping, or pausing. It seems that any movie or show you choose streams in HD when using the Smart Hub. I only have one complaint. You are unable to access your tv settings when viewing netflix. Right now my son is stuck with the black bars on the sides. You can not even change the picture size. Other than that, it is not too bad at all.

*Edit*
When viewing Netflix you can press the Tools button on the remote to access a few basic settings. You can change the picture mode to dynamic, standard, natural, or movie. You can also adjust the sound mode and sleep timer. Those are the only settings you can change while viewing netflix.

Glad to hear that you got Netflix up and running. I was experiencing the same "not connected to the internet" problem and repeated phone calls to both Samsung and Netflix could not resolve the issue. Interestingly enough, this was only a problem on one set. Two other Samsung sets did not have this problem. A Google search reveals that this is apparently a known issue among Samsung/Netflix.
post #178 of 3071 Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 PM

I just purchased the UN46D6000 tonight replacing my LN46A550 and I'm blown away by the picture. My only problem is that when it's hooked up to my DVR I get very bad flickering. I don't get flickering through my blu ray or USB drive. I tried my DVR on my LN32A450 and no flickering at all. Does anyone have any ideas before I take the tv back? I might upgrade to the 55" also. The smaller frame makes the tv look smaller than my old one but I don't know if i want to spend another $500 to upgrade. But the flickering sucks! Please help.
post #179 of 3071 Old 04-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Nevermind What i said earlier.. The flashlighting still there.... BOUH!!!
post #180 of 3071 Old 04-09-2011, 09:04 AM

this flashlighting is unacceptable especially for a 2011 model. I loosened the screws at the back and gave it 24hrs before i decided to return in. I was thinking about exchanging it for the same model but decided not to because of so many people having the same problem. The Samsung had some nice features but I decided on getting a 2011 Sharp Quattron 830u instead. I must say the picture quality is better overall IMO and there is no flashlighting. Now I can enjoy my tv instead of being disctracted by spot lights in each of the four corners while watching a movie.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page