Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 3068 Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCarl View Post

Here is on pic from an angle. I am using my droid x with the exposure setting set to -1. The only light in the house is a light in the back of the living room about 12 feet away. It is on an HD channel from Time Warner Cable. A trailer for thor is playing and there are black bars on the top, bottom, left, and right.

Yeah... you do have flashing and clouding,, it is just that you are not that picky... and is ok to your eyes, but for me that is unacceptable, I'm going to Bestbuy today for the third time to exchange my D6400 due to flashing and clouding, this time I will test the TV right in the store...and by the way your backlight settings seems to be pretty high.

Last year when I bought my b6000 I got lucky and got a perfect set the first time.

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
- ARRX18G Remote w/ RF extender
- WDTV Live+ (5TB and growing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 3068 Old 04-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinetic758 View Post

Generally, the Samsung panels are supposed to be better than the other sourced panels, so you did good! The main difference with the Samsung panels is that they're supposed to have better off-angle viewing. Try this: sit dead center. Then move to the left or right a few feet. Do you notice a drop in contrast and do you see the blacks turning a slight blue? The PVA panel used by Samsung is supposed to reduce this effect. My MVA panel (produced by CMO, i.e. non-Samsung) exhibits this pretty easily.

Also good to hear that you sorted out the banding/halos.

Ahh ok I see what you are saying and have seen that before you move to the side and the pic becomes entirely washed out, your right that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. The banding is there but like I said only on a certain menu on that specific game I'm thinking maybe I could live with it. Does anybody own NBA 2k11 and a PS3 that can maybe test it for me (see if theirs has it)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCarl View Post

Here is on pic from an angle. I am using my droid x with the exposure setting set to -1. The only light in the house is a light in the back of the living room about 12 feet away. It is on an HD channel from Time Warner Cable. A trailer for thor is playing and there are black bars on the top, bottom, left, and right.

Thanks for posting JP but unless I'm mistaken I don't think you would be able to see flashlighting with any type of lighting on. You would have to take a pic with no flash and all the lights shut off.
post #243 of 3068 Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 PM

Yeap.. the only way to see clouding and flashing is with the room in complete darkness, otherwise is very difficult to detect...

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
post #244 of 3068 Old 04-14-2011, 05:05 PM

The picture that was taken from an angle makes it appear there is horrible flashlighting and clouding but it most certainly does not appear that way when actually seeing it in person. I will work more with the camera settings on my phone as well as throw a bluray on and take a few pics in complete darkness.
post #245 of 3068 Old 04-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Alright. Here is a much better picture. All lights are off. I am playing Wall E on bluray and I have it paused during the classic disney opening. Backlight is currently set at 12. Black bars run at the top and the bottom. There is a slight bluish glow at the top but that is from the backlight and the blue sky behind the disney castle.

post #246 of 3068 Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM

People please,

There are way too many misconceptions on this thread. The whole "H panels have less clouding" or whatever else we read around here is simply false.
Let me rephrase; Maybe if we take a large sample and crunch the numbers MAYBE we would see a lower % of light bleeding issues but who cares!? It's still a complete crap shoot. You can have an H panel with horrible light bleed (both clouding and flashlight) or you could have an H without any bleeding at all. Same can be said about the C panels.

It is true that the viewing angle is quite different and the C panels do washout more. But don't think your S panel won't washout at all! Angle will be better than C but don't expect the results you get from a plasma

I see some people complaining about barely a hint of bleed and thinking they will return it. DON'T! Google some images of earlier Samsung LEDs and you will see HORRIBLE light bleed that is truly unacceptable. Don't think you simply need to exchange it 2-3 times and finally get a PERFECT set. This technology is flawed, putting form way before function (ooooh, sexy slim), and only a very lucky few have no bleed at all. And then someone else looks at it and turns out they actually have a bit of bleed. Some have a better eye at this than others.

So bottom line is, if you see slight bleeding and have no other problems, just enjoy the TV. I know we spend our hard earned cash on electronics and wish it was perfect. Truth is, these are mass produced, use cheap components and are sold at a pretty low price when you compare to years ago. Sadly, that is the reality we live in.
post #247 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiburd View Post
don't think you're being a jerk at all.. wish more people would comment about their settings...i'll give your suggestions a try.

I did get the 10p settings from another post.. then just messed around with it till i thought it looked right. i think it looks great.. hell even the factory settings look great.. just trying to optimize it.

can you please post your settings?
I would post my settings but i am in Afghanistan and TV is thousands of kilometers away. I don't remember all of my settings and I doubt it will be relevant in a month from now.
post #248 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post
People please,

There are way too many misconceptions on this thread. The whole "H panels have less clouding" or whatever else we read around here is simply false.
Let me rephrase; Maybe if we take a large sample and crunch the numbers MAYBE we would see a lower % of light bleeding issues but who cares!? It's still a complete crap shoot. You can have an H panel with horrible light bleed (both clouding and flashlight) or you could have an H without any bleeding at all. Same can be said about the C panels.

It is true that the viewing angle is quite different and the C panels do washout more. But don't think your S panel won't washout at all! Angle will be better than C but don't expect the results you get from a plasma

I see some people complaining about barely a hint of bleed and thinking they will return it. DON'T! Google some images of earlier Samsung LEDs and you will see HORRIBLE light bleed that is truly unacceptable. Don't think you simply need to exchange it 2-3 times and finally get a PERFECT set. This technology is flawed, putting form way before function (ooooh, sexy slim), and only a very lucky few have no bleed at all. And then someone else looks at it and turns out they actually have a bit of bleed. Some have a better eye at this than others.

So bottom line is, if you see slight bleeding and have no other problems, just enjoy the TV. I know we spend our hard earned cash on electronics and wish it was perfect. Truth is, these are mass produced, use cheap components and are sold at a pretty low price when you compare to years ago. Sadly, that is the reality we live in.
Thanks for this post.
I was anxious of getting this TV, but like you mentioned, not a TV is 100% perfect in every way ...
post #249 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Take a look at the back of your set. Where the model number is displayed, you should also see a version number. In my case, I have version CN01. Yours could begin with an "H", "A", "S" and so on. As far as I know, the model I have (46D6900W - Best Buy exclusive) seems to come only with CMO panels.

Thank you for explaining this. Of course it occurred to me that the "Version" designation was what people were referring to as the "Panel Number," or type, but as to how this interpretation came about, I'm not sure. In any case, my 55D6000 bears a version designation of H302, which I take it is a good thing from your later postings. My 55C6500 bears a version designation of CN02. Any thoughts on that particular version for 2010 model?
post #250 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 06:55 AM

Well, I exchanged my UN40D6400 yesterday (for the second time) and got another with same model (CN01). But this one is perfect. No flashing or clouding what so ever. The first 6300 had some bad clouding but no flashing, the second D6420 was horrible, lots of clouding and bleeding and flashing,,, the third one (6420) in one word... Perfect. Now I can enjoy it.

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
post #251 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 11:17 AM

While the clouding/spotlighting of my D6900 is simply a product of the technology inside of it, I've decided to take this back and go the plasma route. It was just something that I, personally, couldn't see myself living with in the long run. Granted, plasma's have their own set of faults, but I believe these faults are things that I can live with.
post #252 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

While the clouding/spotlighting of my D6900 is simply a product of the technology inside of it, I've decided to take this back and go the plasma route. It was just something that I, personally, couldn't see myself living with in the long run. Granted, plasma's have their own set of faults, but I believe these faults are things that I can live with.

Yeah thinking of this but am going to give it another shot at a replacement and see what happens. The flashlighting mainly is still bothering me it doesnt so much when I've got ambient lighting and backlight down to 6 or 7 - but don't feel like I should need to do that to enjoy it at night.
post #253 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Like what ?? I'm still debating between LED and Plasma ...
post #254 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

Yeah thinking of this but am going to give it another shot at a replacement and see what happens. The flashlighting mainly is still bothering me it doesnt so much when I've got ambient lighting and backlight down to 6 or 7 - but don't feel like I should need to do that to enjoy it at night.

I agree. I actually had 3 different sets. The first 2 (46D6420) were equally bad (for my tastes) and the 46D6900 was a little better at first but has seemed to get a little worse (this could all be in my head -- of course, once you notice it, it's kind of difficult to not look out for it. I'm a little OCD).

There will be a point where I have both the Plasma (Panny GT30) and D6900 at the same time, so I'll let you know how I get on.
post #255 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrooms911 View Post

Like what ?? I'm still debating between LED and Plasma ...

Googling this will turn up more info, but I was initially attracted to LED for it's thinness, lightness, energy efficiency and lack of image retention. I'm also a tech geek and so having the "latest" and "greatest" tech (LED) played a part.

Plasmas generally have better blacks and do not suffer from cloudiness and spotlighting. Of course, they're also heavier, get a little warmer when in use and can also emit a slight buzzing sound.
post #256 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 12:27 PM

I had to call up SAMSUNG for my browser working & not the applications. They helped me to fix it. While talking with some tech there, he told me D6300 panels are different from D6000, 6050 etc. He told me it is not just the browser difference. That doesn't mean 6300 panels will not have clouding/flashlighting problem but just different than 6000 whatever that is! Also he asked me if I had any & I told him no. He told me if I get any then buy a good microfiber cloth at an eye-glass store (not crappy walmart thing) and just clean gentle. Then it will reduce it by over 50% May be try that & it might reduce the effect if not get rid of it.
post #257 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 01:45 PM

On my new 40D6500, I got no clouding but 10 beautiful circles in the left part of the screen. I guess i will have to ask for a new one... It's really disturbing with traveling on a green background like football or golf.

I also got some white light on each corner but despite the photo it's really not visible with the good setings even with dark scene.
post #258 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Generally, the Samsung panels are supposed to be better than the other sourced panels, so you did good! The main difference with the Samsung panels is that they're supposed to have better off-angle viewing. Try this: sit dead center. Then move to the left or right a few feet. Do you notice a drop in contrast and do you see the blacks turning a slight blue? The PVA panel used by Samsung is supposed to reduce this effect. My MVA panel (produced by CMO, i.e. non-Samsung) exhibits this pretty easily.

Also good to hear that you sorted out the banding/halos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienbossard View Post

On my new 40D6500, I got no clouding but 10 beautiful circles in the left part of the screen. I guess i will have to ask for a new one... It's really disturbing with traveling on a green background like football or golf.

I also got some white light on each corner but despite the photo it's really not visible with the good setings even with dark scene.

Yikes that's really bad, what panel version do you have? Is it H302 or one of the C panels?
post #259 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 PM

How do you check & know which panel it is? Where does it say?
post #260 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilla60 View Post

How do you check & know which panel it is? Where does it say?

It should say on the UPC label right on the side of your box as you see mine H302
LL
post #261 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jilla60 View Post

I had to call up SAMSUNG for my browser working & not the applications. They helped me to fix it. While talking with some tech there, he told me D6300 panels are different from D6000, 6050 etc. He told me it is not just the browser difference. That doesn't mean 6300 panels will not have clouding/flashlighting problem but just different than 6000 whatever that is! Also he asked me if I had any & I told him no. He told me if I get any then buy a good microfiber cloth at an eye-glass store (not crappy walmart thing) and just clean gentle. Then it will reduce it by over 50% May be try that & it might reduce the effect if not get rid of it.

Point of clarification: you are saying that a Samsung tech suggested that cleaning the surface gently with a good microfiber cloth will result in reduced clouding/flashlighting by a factor of 50%? Also, I believe the D6300 units are 3D versus D6000, so that would seem to indicate a panel difference there. Any reason you did not pursue the specifics of what exactly was supposed to be different?
Thanks
post #262 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Point of clarification: you are saying that a Samsung tech suggested that cleaning the surface gently with a good microfiber cloth will result in reduced clouding/flashlighting by a factor of 50%? Also, I believe the D6300 units are 3D versus D6000, so that would seem to indicate a panel difference there. Any reason you did not pursue the specifics of what exactly was supposed to be different?
Thanks

First 6300 is not 3D model. 6400 is. I asked him numerous times but he said, the panels are different & he doesn't have details but knows for sure.

Yes. The tech said to clean gently with a good micro-fiber cloth. He was kind (unusual!!)

Thanks Dawson. My version is H301 (I don't know if this is good or bad )
post #263 of 3068 Old 04-15-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

Yikes that's really bad, what panel version do you have? Is it H302 or one of the C panels?

Again, what does that matter?

This panel is obviously messed up and it could be any of the panel versions. You guys don't seem to get that no problem is specific or exclusif to one panel version.

And even if we try to get statistics out of defects like this, it's still useless. Let's pretend that 60% of the panels with problem "X" are H panels. So? you still have a 40% chance that your C or S or whatever has the same problem.

You could exchange it 5 times, be unlucky and have the same problem on all 5 sets.

Granted this particlular example, with the circles, is not a "normal" flaw. This set has to go back.

The ONLY thing that could justify wanting a particular panel version is viewing angle. There, the difference is real and quite noticeable. But if you watch a C panel dead center, it is in NO WAY worst than S or H.
post #264 of 3068 Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just sent back my H302 55D6000 yesterday that had such bad flashlighting that side bars would look grey even at a backlight setting of 6 and terrible clouding. I had a Panasonic 50gt25 that I exchanged for this because 80% of what I use it for is gaming and sports and I would occasionally get IR that would quickly go away but I was nervous of burn in. I got this set thinking atleast it would give me piece of mind, but after getting one with such a terrible panel I'm strongly considering a 55ST30 or a 59D550. Before the Panasonic I returned a sony 55EX710 for 8" long flashlights with backlight on 2. This is getting frustrating.

gamertag: xxx shiv xxx
PSN: xx_shiv_xx
post #265 of 3068 Old 04-16-2011, 06:42 AM

I got My second set.. 55D6000 Yesterday.. H301 Again.. And I still got the flashlighting.. I think it look the same ... So I don't know what to do.. Thinking about the LG LW5600 or the Sammy PND6900 Plasma one..
post #266 of 3068 Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 AM

I have an off tiopic question. I see that some have purchased thier tvs at Best Buy. I have always heard bad things about store warranties, so I did not get the black tie protection. I went in yesterday and they were trying to get me to still get it saying if anything happpens in 4 years I can get a new tv even if it is a newer model. It is $400 for the protection. Anyone know if it is worth it or is it like they used to be all a waste?
post #267 of 3068 Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Are there any wireless adapters other than the Samsung brand out there that would work with the 2011 non-wireless D-series TVs? Namely the 6400, 6300, 6000.

Thanks.
post #268 of 3068 Old 04-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonioso View Post

Are there any wireless adapters other than the Samsung brand out there that would work with the 2011 non-wireless D-series TVs? Namely the 6400, 6300, 6000.

Thanks.

I think Rosewill RNX-N1 use to work with 2010 Samsung models. I don't know about 2011 models. I beleive it should work. You can get that from Newegg or Amazon for $24.
post #269 of 3068 Old 04-16-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakattk View Post

I have an off tiopic question. I see that some have purchased thier tvs at Best Buy. I have always heard bad things about store warranties, so I did not get the black tie protection. I went in yesterday and they were trying to get me to still get it saying if anything happpens in 4 years I can get a new tv even if it is a newer model. It is $400 for the protection. Anyone know if it is worth it or is it like they used to be all a waste?

It is definitely worthy, for example I bought a Samsung UN40B6000 on 2009 and a week ago, I called Geek Squad and complained about flashing, The tech came and since you can only see flashing in a really dark room, he just said that the panel had to be changed, and since is a 2 years old set, they do not have those part in stock, so the next thing was getting it to the store and get new set the same original value,, so I ended up with a UN40D6400.

- Panasonic TC-P50ST30
- Yamaha RX-V667
- Polk RM75
- Polk PSW10
post #270 of 3068 Old 04-17-2011, 05:13 AM

I need to exchange my second time TV un55d6000.. flashlighting.. and banding issue.. No more Samsung for me.. PIece of Crap!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page