Forum Jump: 

post #2791 of 3068 Old 03-20-2012, 10:59 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You initialy said everthing else was looking great and only ESPN was terrible so experience still would lead me to suspect the source first.

HTPC With OTA only, HD with Surround is so AWESOME!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 3068 Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM

Liked: 10
Starting to lean toward this being a "source" issue....
I turned on the the motion plus and set the other to clear then watched a wakeboard video that was shot in full 1080p and NO ISSUES with shuttering. I attempted to turn the "Native" off on the DirecTv box and it did not resolve the shuttering on ESPN. I just wish I could track down some true "live" HD Football to get a good feel for it.
post #2793 of 3068 Old 03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey all. Well, dad's CRT Sony died and he asked me to take him tv shopping. Being elderly and not into gadgetry (calls me when "video 5" is stuck on tv screen [again]) and because he has always liked the looks of my vizio xvt2, the field was narrowed to three sets. He chose the 6400(20) and it arrives Thursday. I must admit I was a bit proud when I was showing him the 46 and he pointed to the 55 and said he liked it better. I'll be helping with the 55 Thursday after delivery-his first flat screen (at 79).

Going through all the pages but he is more a torch mode guy and it's his set. However, I do want him to get the most out of the set set that he can.

What oob mode/setting would you recommend given this somewhat unusual situation.

Thanks.
post #2794 of 3068 Old 03-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepreston03 View Post

I turned on the the motion plus and set the other to clear then watched a wakeboard video that was shot in full 1080p and NO ISSUES with shuttering. I attempted to turn the "Native" off on the DirecTv box and it did not resolve the shuttering on ESPN. I just wish I could track down some true "live" HD Football to get a good feel for it.

That's why I suggested trying 720p. 1080i is interlaced and 720p & 1080p are progressive scan. While 1080i has more lines of resolution 720p can result in a smoother picture which is better for watching fast motion like sports. You mentioned comcast. On my former comcast box there is a button on the front of the box that toggles between 1080i, 720p, 480p. You don't even need to change any of the settings on the TV to give it a quick try.
post #2795 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 AM

Just set up my 55 D6000 and so far I am very pleased. I haven't changed the settings yet. I was going to give redwolf a try.

I wanted to know if anyone can adivse me on a wireless LAN adapter for the TV. Do I need to get the $60+ Samsung one or is there an inexpensive alternative?
post #2796 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Quote:

ESPN is not the only source of sports. The major networks are mostly all sports on Saturday and Sunday afternoons. Also as I mentioned depending on your location you can hook up a $10 set of rabbit ears and get local OTA which BTW is the best pic possible after BluRay.

post #2797 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtrydr View Post

Just set up my 55 D6000 and so far I am very pleased. I haven't changed the settings yet. I was going to give redwolf a try.

I wanted to know if anyone can adivse me on a wireless LAN adapter for the TV. Do I need to get the $60+ Samsung one or is there an inexpensive alternative?

This works well and routinely goes on sale for $19.99 at Newegg.

I can't post links yet (3 post minimum), but just Google 'Rosewill RNX-N1'
post #2798 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlii View Post

That's why I suggested trying 720p. 1080i is interlaced and 720p & 1080p are progressive scan. While 1080i has more lines of resolution 720p can result in a smoother picture which is better for watching fast motion like sports. You mentioned comcast. On my former comcast box there is a button on the front of the box that toggles between 1080i, 720p, 480p. You don't even need to change any of the settings on the TV to give it a quick try.

So dumb question..... To achieve this all I would need to do is go into the DirecTv receiver and turn off the 1080i resolution?
post #2799 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:

So dumb question..... To achieve this all I would need to do is go into the DirecTv receiver and turn off the 1080i resolution?

What I did was use google search to find the user manual for my Verizon cable box. That told me how to set it up to output 720p, 1080i, etc. If you find the user manual for your DirectTv receiver it will tell you just about everything you can change on it.
post #2800 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 04:47 PM

Hi guys,

I just bought my UN40D6000 and I'm so pleased with it. I've jumped from a Samsung LNB530, imagine how I feel with this piece of machine.

My version has Full 3D, you say the D6000 doesn't but it does. It's stated in the box and in the system itself. And it also has 240 Hz!

My first impressions were:

Out of the box = elegant design. A little fragile though but fine.

I gave up finding the perfect TV, among the whole LCD-LED range I always have preferred Samsung. They may have some flaws but you have a crisp, awesome picture in exchange.

For what I've read so far I think mine isn't that bad. My older Samsung used to have banding, clouding and a not so perfect black level. Here I've gotten a little of flashlighting in the upper left and right corner, very mild anyway, I noticed it like half n hour after. I'll try loosening the crews and decreasing the panel brightness, let's see if there's some improvement. A bit of clouding in the middle-top which doesn't bother me at all unless there's a black presentation screen like in any videogame. Some people say this goes away with the time, others it can be lowered by decreasing brightness, I'll see.

Honestly I'm not a videophile, this TV is GORGEOUS the 99% of the time, even if I have a small lamp on when playing dark I don't notice any of those flaws (and I like to use it like this at night). I'm not gonna pack this and try another one while the next one can be the same or even worse. I'll keep it,

I'm really in love with the picture quality, games have never looked so fantastic to me, colours, contrast, black levels... perfect. What I find outstanding is the black level. Do you guys like the darkness in horror videogames to be black or gray? This is the first time a TV allows me to have a excellent contrast between what's lit and what's dark, I love when dark looks the darkest just like in real life.

I must be the only one who's pleased with the auto motion, I like the soap opera effect or whatever is called, it gives a great realism which I never experienced in a TV set.

I can't find what versiĆ³n is my panel. It only says UN40D6000SG. That's all.

I bought this in Chile, where I live. English is my second language, sorry for any mistake.
post #2801 of 3068 Old 03-21-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Welcome hotelero! English may be your second language, but it doesn't show. I love my 6420 too.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #2802 of 3068 Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Hi there. Just picked up a UN55D6000 from Sears. I was wondering what the best wall mount is for this TV. I would like to mount it with a tilt mount, I would like it to be as close to the wall as possible, and I would like to use extender screws so I dont need to find wall studs. Any reccomnedations?
post #2803 of 3068 Old 03-22-2012, 04:45 PM

Oh and Id like to get a fairly inexpensive one. Mounts on eBay start at $30 while Best buys are $199 lol
post #2804 of 3068 Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar7674 View Post

Hi there. Just picked up a UN55D6000 from Sears. I was wondering what the best wall mount is for this TV. I would like to mount it with a tilt mount, I would like it to be as close to the wall as possible, and I would like to use extender screws so I dont need to find wall studs. Any reccomnedations?

all wall mounts have a maximum of 15degree tilt. The most (affordable & professional) one is the "Sanus" brand I use it and you can pull it out 3 feet outwards or you can have it sitting low profile againts the wall, its super thin. I can also tilt it, slide it, or even swivel it left or right. It holds my samsung 46" led 6500series no problem! with finger pushing tilt or movements.

model number
#VLF-311 I paid 150.00 on boxing day

http://www.sanus.com/ca/en/products/...-motion-mount/
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...bf8fe6761den02

ImageShack.us
post #2805 of 3068 Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 AM

[quote=Heaty;21815604]all wall mounts have a maximum of 15degree tilt. The most (affordable & professional) one is the "Sanus" brand I use it and you can pull it out 3 feet outwards or you can have it sitting low profile againts the wall, its super thin. I can also tilt it, slide it, or even swivel it left or right. It holds my samsung 46" led 6500series no problem! with finger pushing tilt or movements.

model number

Good stuff thanks Heaty. 15 degree tilt?? isnt 18 degrees the standard tilt you would need for optimum viewing. I read somewhere that 82 degrees is the ideal angle. Also, can i use extended screws instead of drilling into studs?
post #2806 of 3068 Old 03-23-2012, 11:17 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

"Also, can i use extended screws instead of drilling into studs?:

Did you ever hear the story of "The Three Little Pigs"?

post #2807 of 3068 Old 03-24-2012, 12:52 AM

[quote=Guitar7674;21817667]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaty View Post

all wall mounts have a maximum of 15degree tilt. The most (affordable & professional) one is the "Sanus" brand I use it and you can pull it out 3 feet outwards or you can have it sitting low profile againts the wall, its super thin. I can also tilt it, slide it, or even swivel it left or right. It holds my samsung 46" led 6500series no problem! with finger pushing tilt or movements.

model number

Good stuff thanks Heaty. 15 degree tilt?? isnt 18 degrees the standard tilt you would need for optimum viewing. I read somewhere that 82 degrees is the ideal angle. Also, can i use extended screws instead of drilling into studs?

You'd have to do a little more research on the ideal tilt degree. it all consist of where your seating is from your tv, and the height at which you mount the tv. Everyone's is different. I sit about 10-15 feet away from my tv and I have it at a 15 degree tilt which is great. I use to have it facing directly at my eye level when i sit but its so downwards that i find it looking funny.
It does come with drilling studs as well as a variety of bolts/washers for all tv makes and models. You can also use extended screws for the mount. I skipped finding a stud and decided to use those drilling studs, still sturdy as a rock. If you decide to get the sanus, I recommend the VLF 311 as its the only superslim one with with a variety of multiple movements. Hands down 5/5 stars and Ive tried a lot of wall mounts. Best Buy has it on Sale if your in Canada. P.S. dont get the cheap wall mounts, I found out as you tilt the TV overtime the cheapo wall mounts wont be able to hold its tilt position due to the weight of the tv and it will always want to slide back to verticle upright position. The cheap ones wont be able to hide the bolts you use, or the cables you run unless your hiding it in your drywall. just my .02cent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekho45JRk5o <--- Preview of VLF 311
post #2808 of 3068 Old 03-25-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1 View Post

"Also, can i use extended screws instead of drilling into studs?:

Did you ever hear the story of "The Three Little Pigs"?

Yes I know the story of the 3 little pigs. But someone told me that by using "extenders" I would not need to find a stud.
post #2809 of 3068 Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 AM

[quote=Heaty;21820674]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar7674 View Post

You'd have to do a little more research on the ideal tilt degree. it all consist of where your seating is from your tv, and the height at which you mount the tv. Everyone's is different. I sit about 10-15 feet away from my tv and I have it at a 15 degree tilt which is great. I use to have it facing directly at my eye level when i sit but its so downwards that i find it looking funny.
It does come with drilling studs as well as a variety of bolts/washers for all tv makes and models. You can also use extended screws for the mount. I skipped finding a stud and decided to use those drilling studs, still sturdy as a rock. If you decide to get the sanus, I recommend the VLF 311 as its the only superslim one with with a variety of multiple movements. Hands down 5/5 stars and Ive tried a lot of wall mounts. Best Buy has it on Sale if your in Canada. P.S. dont get the cheap wall mounts, I found out as you tilt the TV overtime the cheapo wall mounts wont be able to hold its tilt position due to the weight of the tv and it will always want to slide back to verticle upright position. The cheap ones wont be able to hide the bolts you use, or the cables you run unless your hiding it in your drywall. just my .02cent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekho45JRk5o <--- Preview of VLF 311

Thanks heaty. I checked out Sanus. I really like the LL 11. It mounts the TV a half inch from the wall!!!!!!!!!!!
post #2810 of 3068 Old 03-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Good day everybody,

I bough in 2010 a LG LCD TV (not LED) 55LD650. I'm looking to replace it by the Samsung UN55D6000 from BestBuy for 1300$. I read a lot in this thread; very good stuff by the way.

Is it a good product? what about all the flashlighting and clouding stuff...???

I have an opportunity to change my TV by a brand new one...I was looking also for a Panasonic 50GT30 but I change my mind because of the Brightness problem of 2011 series and here in Canada people seems to have big trouble with Panasonic for help.

What I do: Gaming, movie, computer plug to TV, PS3, XBOX; Is it good for all that stuff?

THANK YOU all very much !
post #2811 of 3068 Old 03-26-2012, 06:40 AM

The cables that came with my UN60D6000 allow me to hook up one set of composite wires, and one set of component. I have more input devices than that will handle that do not have HDMI output. If I purchase a cable that has an HDMI connector at one end and component cables at the other (I see that on Ebay) can I use this to connect these devices through the HDMI ports?
post #2812 of 3068 Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM
tc1
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kg4u View Post

The cables that came with my UN60D6000 allow me to hook up one set of composite wires, and one set of component. I have more input devices than that will handle that do not have HDMI output. If I purchase a cable that has an HDMI connector at one end and component cables at the other (I see that on Ebay) can I use this to connect these devices through the HDMI ports?

I would Think yes, BUT what about the sound? Do those converter cables include audio connectors? I would suggest that you look at AVRs/speakers. TV speakers sound are fine for watching the news but suck for anything else in comparison to even the cheapest home theater system. The AVR will give you switching capability for a single video HDMI out to TV in addition to sound that has a huge positive impact on the AV experience. You would need to carefully investigate the input output ports of any AVR as I am assuming you have mostly older analog equipment. The AVR would also allow you to more easily step up in increments to more current technology in the future.

EDIT: Simple switching devices are inconvenient but available also.

post #2813 of 3068 Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM

sounds like playing from a tin can also we have wifi and want to conect to the web we have a netgear wireless-g usb adapter will this work with our tv or do we need to go and get the samsung adapter? Had the tvsince last friday and love it!
post #2814 of 3068 Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave084 View Post

Good day everybody,

I bough in 2010 a LG LCD TV (not LED) 55LD650. I'm looking to replace it by the Samsung UN55D6000 from BestBuy for 1300$. I read a lot in this thread; very good stuff by the way.

I have an opportunity to change my TV by a brand new one...I was looking also for a Panasonic 50GT30 but I change my mind because of the Brightness problem of 2011 series and here in Canada people seems to have big trouble with Panasonic for help.

What I do: Gaming, movie, computer plug to TV, PS3, XBOX; Is it good for all that stuff?

I currently have the UN55D6000. It did have some corner flash lighting after I first bought it in November but now it is hardly noticeable. The flash lighting has lessened over time. My panel is the H-302 built in September 2011. I love this TV, had a Panasonic Plasma before. Better picture than the Panny. The colors really are bright, giving you the "wow" factor. This model does not allow you to browse the internet, but that wasn't a feature that I was interested in. I am highly satisfied with my purchase! Shop & compare and I think that you will be impressed.
post #2815 of 3068 Old 03-27-2012, 11:22 AM

Could anyone tell me if there is a difference in PQ between the 6000, 6400 & 6600?
post #2816 of 3068 Old 03-27-2012, 01:16 PM

I'm sorry to say but these stats that I see for generic models that are posted here don't give the depth of what you MUST do here they don't explain which actual MODEL # of the TV's in question they're using. You have to really do som searching on the web for there's many different model #'s of that perticular size even. I have a UN40D6000(SFXZA) model and there's actually 2 other models of that same size. There's a SF and SG model too. You have to dig and dig really deep to compare each TV. It sucks I know but that's just the way it is.
post #2817 of 3068 Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Good day everybody,

First find the size you can go really with then look to see if there's actually different series of such model # for each has different options that you'll get. Be picky too cause you're spending a jag of money on something that may or may not last you too long unless you get an extended warrenty on the side. Trust me those do help if you read into them with enough time given.
post #2818 of 3068 Old 03-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Good day everybody,

I would suggest you to wait since you all ready have a TV that works completely fine. If your looking to upgrade maybe do so during black friday/boxing day. I picked up a 46" 6000 series in 2011 boxing day for 799.99. and the 55" were going for 999.99. Its all up to you but if you have deep pockets take the leap early its worth it.
post #2819 of 3068 Old 03-28-2012, 12:18 PM

46" D7000 or 55" D6000?

Is the D7000 that much better than the D6000? is it worth losing 9 inches of TV screen space?
post #2820 of 3068 Old 03-29-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

The most important part of all this is ensuring Dynamic contrast is off, color tone is set to Warm 2, and color space is set to "Native",the wider color gamut then rec 709. This is unlike the default Movie mode color setting of auto which follows Rec. 709. That would look overly green for video games.

Redwolf4k,

always enjoy reading your posts. After a year with my Panasonic G25 I'm back to LCD. I just picked up a Sammy D630. I read how you helped a family member set one up. Did you happen to note which settings you used? It would be of great help.

If not, I'm pretty sure I can't just copy your settings(?) but considering how accurate the preset colors are on our sets perhaps I could use cnet's recommended brightness/contrast with the rest of your settings? Would that work? Sorry I'm a bit of a calibration newb.

- In your early videogame settings, you mention how it's important that Dynamic contrast be off but now you advocate it? Why is that? Is it just personal preference or is it perhaps because you thought that that dark details were being clipped?

- According to Cnet, the recommended backlight for the D630 is 7 while the D6000 is 12. Why is that? If anything I thought it would be the opposite because LEDs are supposed to be brighter no?

- Which HDMi ports do you connect your PS3 and Xbox to and does it make a difference?

-What settings do you use on your PS3? RGB limited, Super whites off and Bluray YCbCr? Is that about the gist of it? What about your Xbox settings?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46d6000 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un60d6000 60 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black 2011 Model , Samsung Un55d6000 , Samsung Un55d6000 55 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page