Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 3326 Old 04-13-2011, 04:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post
Hi guys did the clouding go away in the 2 week period (or did you end up returning)?

Also is your clouding somewhat black/blueish from off angle viewing?

My very minor clouding does not go away ever since I bought the TV on March 27th. I don't think it turns into black/blueish color from off angle.

I think that almost all LED TV will have some sort clouding if you look for it in great detail. Sometimes it can be very bad. In my case its very small, and only visible if you watch movies in pitch black room, which I don't recommend since it's bad for your eyes.

I don't think that I will be returning my set unless the clouding gets worst.

You should only return TV if the clouding is bad enough to cause a distraction in normal viewing conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 3326 Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granzon View Post

My very minor clouding does not go away ever since I bought the TV on March 27th. I don't think it turns into black/blueish color from off angle.

I think that almost all LED TV will have some sort clouding if you look for it in great detail. Sometimes it can be very bad. In my case its very small, and only visible if you watch movies in pitch black room, which I don't recommend since it's bad for your eyes.

I don't think that I will be returning my set unless the clouding gets worst.

You should only return TV if the clouding is bad enough to cause a distraction in normal viewing conditions.

yea i'm only getting flashlighting left and right bottom corners in extreme pitch black dark and on letterbox or widescreen material. i am wondering if ambient lighting would help/eliminate the flashlighting? since during daylight i cant see it so should
post #303 of 3326 Old 04-13-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

yea i'm only getting flashlighting left and right bottom corners in extreme pitch black dark and on letterbox or widescreen material. i am wondering if ambient lighting would help/eliminate the flashlighting? since during daylight i cant see it so should

Any small lighting should be enough. Just not in pitch black room.
post #304 of 3326 Old 04-13-2011, 05:49 PM

I have it too, But during the day it's like it's gone.
I only see it at night.
post #305 of 3326 Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM

I think that LED TV are meant to be viewed with some ambient lighting. If you plan to watch movie in pitch dark room, then I would consider plasma.
post #306 of 3326 Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM

finally got my SSG-3700GR glasses today.
LL
LL
post #307 of 3326 Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtim View Post

Hey smo, what's your "Version No:" from the sticker on the box/back of the TV?

Yo - sorry for the late response mrtim.

Version H302

I've been toying with settings a lot on "standard" and seem to have found a nice balance. What I am wondering now is that most of my 1080p content is grainy. I think it's just me nit picking.

Anyone found settings they want to post that they are happy with? I would love to compare once i write all mine down!
post #308 of 3326 Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 AM

I'm not familiar with what settings the D7000 has available, but if you've got "noise reduction", I'd try that for the graininess.

I know people slam noise reduction as something the purists will never use, but these are also the same folks that drop the sharpness down so sharp edges are all softened for the sake of a more natural PQ. Well, when I look at the world around me I don't see grain, so why not use NR if it's available?

My example was watching "Pawn Stars" and noticing that the black shirts those guys all wear were a little noisy with NR off, so I turned it on & it got rid of 90% of the grain. (nice). Sure it softens everything else just a tiny amount too, but I think the fix is worth it.
post #309 of 3326 Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM

I am going to have to check. I don't remember seeing an option for that anywhere. I'll play with turning the sharpness down a bit. I have to check a few different 1080p sources to see what the deal is (could be the rip), I only noticed it on transformers 1(22gig 1080p rip) last night real quick. Normal 1080i Fios broadcast TV seems fine.

Setup:
I am running an acer revo(xbmc) into my onkyo reciever(TX-SR508), and a 25 foot monoprice hdmi 1.4a cable to my TV.

After comparing "movie" and "standard" movie is way too warm for me even after tweaking the settings. I think it's a more balanced picture on standard with changing some of the settings. I'll get a list together tonight / this weekend of my settings.
post #310 of 3326 Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM

Originally Droozy started this thread in order to discuss this new TV. In it he told us of his "unofficial" settings for early calibration of these TV's. I started watching this thread in hopes that he and more people participating in this thread could post their Calibration Settings so they might share their more knowledgeable choices.

Since then there have been few mentions of these actual settings. I know there's been a lot of discussions about clouding/banding/bleeding, etc.

There are those of us other however, who would like to know what settings you all eventually used to set up the best picture available regardless of these possible defects.

I myself, have had only slight issues, but still would like to calibrate my tv with your guidance, so I am asking if there is anyone out there who has set up their TV's yet, with settings they think might be good so that people like me, might use them to tweak the sets so that I/we will not use settings which might harm the TV's.

Thank you for your responses in advance!
post #311 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 09:08 AM

so whats the general consensus of these tvs? I was planning on picking up the UN55D7000 today but a lot of these posts are scaring me off. I'm not a videophile, never heard of flashlighting or clouding. I plan to have this in a room with no windows with the lighting on. If this flashlighting and clouding problem a really serious issue?
post #312 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runback22 View Post

so whats the general consensus of these tvs? I was planning on picking up the UN55D7000 today but a lot of these posts are scaring me off. I'm not a videophile, never heard of flashlighting or clouding. I plan to have this in a room with no windows with the lighting on. If this flashlighting and clouding problem a really serious issue?

I have the D7000. I'm not sure what "Clouding" is. I don't have that problem. And the flashlighting "problem" is not really a problem. You only notice a slight lighting in the corners during scenes such as the start of a movie when it's pitch black, there's no ambient light in the room, etc.

The upside is a brilliant bright deep color tv.

If you are worried about it, go check one out at the store. If it really bothers you, get the PN51D8000. That was my other choice.
post #313 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Are you just loosening the outside cover screwes? Or taking the cover off and loosening the panel screws?
post #314 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 AM

Also. For those who wall mounted, did you use the 4 spacers supplied to attach a non-samsung wall mount? I did NOT as I did not see them until it was on the wall.
post #315 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboob View Post

Also. For those who wall mounted, did you use the 4 spacers supplied to attach a non-samsung wall mount? I did NOT as I did not see them until it was on the wall.

You should use them to keeo pressure off the TV's rear enclosure. Using them allows the mount to cone in contact with the set only at the bolt points. You could be causing flex or twist by mounting it the way you have it.

I Like Digital!
post #316 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

You should use them to keeo pressure off the TV's rear enclosure. Using them allows the mount to cone in contact with the set only at the bolt points. You could be causing flex or twist by mounting it the way you have it.

Kind of thought that was the answer I'd get. I'll have to pull it off and add them in. Yikes. My mount is a low profile mount. What a pain. TOO LOW. 3/8" from the wall (if that). Basically an HDMI cable width.

I might just add a few extra washers in to get just a smidge more clearance.
post #317 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Kind of thought that was the answer I'd get. I'll have to pull it off and add them in. Yikes. My mount is a low profile mount. What a pain. TOO LOW. 3/8" from the wall (if that). Basically an HDMI cable width.

I might just add a few extra washers in to get just a smidge more clearance.

I have the same wall mount 3/8" clearance and didn't use the spacers either whoops I'll have to add them

The question I'm more concerned with is how did you get all the Hdmi cables behind the tv without extremely bending them downward? I see on monoprice there are Hdmi port/adapters but am clueless which ones I should get - any tips?
post #318 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 01:20 PM

Bending them downwards? Not sure what you mean. I just patiently looped them from the HDMI ports down and around the bottom. They are all ZIP tied together flat. Meaning stacked 4 vertically along the bottom.

I thought of using spark plug wire separators...but never did.

Sort of like this (ascii art):

These are all looping around from above.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - HDMI 1
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - HDMI 2
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - HDMI 3
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - USB
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - Optical
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - CAT5

There's actually more than 4 across the bottom. Cat5, optical, usb as well.
post #319 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Here is how close it is to the wall. If you look carefully, you can see the zip ties holding the HDMI cables as they loop around. I'm going to add an additional washer (or 2) between the spacer and the vertical mount bars to give it just a bit more room. If I have to get new bolts, then I will.

What a pain in the _ss running those wires down the inside of an outside wall beside the fireplace! I ended up using a 2" vacuflo pipe to feed them down (inside the wall). That way I now have a permanent way to pull new wires once I close up all the access holes I added to get the wires in. But I think I pulled enough wire to raise the price of copper!

LL
post #320 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 01:44 PM

One the wall. Notice the glimpse of the relic Sony KV35V35 (300lb beast) to the right!

And the rats nest still in play!

LL
LL
post #321 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

That is a nice setup theboob, right on for sharing. I have not gone inwall maybe once I got my full surround sound I'm happy with I will. In my case the wires I was saying being bent downward are because I have to get them all the way from how they face right - back to the left and center of the tv into a wire-mold. It puts a lot of strain on them since they all sit side by side.
post #322 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 02:22 PM

Oh I see. Mine is actually similiar. My access "hole" (lets call it) is on the LEFT BOTTOM/MIDDLE of the TV. So I just curl them all around and run along the bottom. Then into the recessed double gang hole. It wasn't that difficult with the wire ties and an hours time.

When I was hanging it, I actually put it on the stand on a dresser in front of the fireplace (at the right height). Then connected everything. Whipped the stand off and threw it on the wall. Thats the only way I could figure out to do it. Still took 3 to mount it. 2 to hang it and me fiddling with the wires a bit.
post #323 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 07:59 PM

I have been researching the UNXXDX000 series of flat screens for a week. If I don't get a replacment for my dead 15 year old Sony KV32 soon, the family is going to string me up. Anyway, I looked at the UN55D7000 at Best Buy. They have it locally for typical price with Shrek 3D starter pack. I see online its for less w/o pack. I am ready to pull the trigger based on what I am reading here. But I am nervous. The big question was trying to decide between the 46" or the 55". Family plays Wii, I plan on a PS3 with Call Of Duty and GT5. I am a big movie buff, family watches a lot of broadcast TV. My viewing distance will be about 13'. Is the 55" worth the extra money over the 46"? For what I want, I think yes. But will the Wii look horrible at that size? Some one help convince me I am not crazy for spending a grand more than a regular 120Hz Sony or LG.
post #324 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 08:10 PM

At that distance, I'd definitely go 55" over 46".

About the only injustice I think you'd be doing the Samsung is simply the appreciation for the beauty of the bezel by sitting 13' away from it. Aside from that, it's whether you want to spend the extra money.

I think that at that size & distance you'll do just fine with any other set too. (LG, Sony, etc.)

Your Wii will look fine at any size. It's animation....it looks better than 'real life' video any day.
post #325 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjroadrunner View Post

I have been researching the UNXXDX000 series of flat screens for a week. If I don't get a replacment for my dead 15 year old Sony KV32 soon, the family is going to string me up. Anyway, I looked at the UN55D7000 at Best Buy. They have it locally for $2699 with Shrek 3D starter pack. I see online its $2199 w/o pack. I am ready to pull the trigger based on what I am reading here. But I am nervous. The big question was trying to decide between the 46" or the 55". Family plays Wii, I plan on a PS3 with Call Of Duty and GT5. I am a big movie buff, family watches a lot of broadcast TV. My viewing distance will be about 13'. Is the 55" worth the extra money over the 46"? For what I want, I think yes. But will the Wii look horrible at that size? Some one help convince me I am not crazy for spending a grand more than a regular 120Hz Sony or LG.

If you get a good one their the best PQ for the money imo.The wii looks fine on a 55" you will not have a problem with that.
post #326 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 11:33 PM

I just did the whole 55/46 thing. I went 55" and I'm glad. It's above the fireplace (see above). The 55" is the same size as the 51" plasma (overall dimensions).
post #327 of 3326 Old 04-16-2011, 11:36 PM

So...Whats with this useless Querty remote people???? It works with some apps and not others. Does NOT work with youtube! That's insane. I'm a bit pissed at the Samsung Apps developers. I sure hope they get better.

Up here in Canada, the apps...SUCK to say the least. The only thing useful is Netflix (oh the crappy Canadian version), youtube and well thats about it.

How about a simple SPORTS app for NHL scores???? Nothing.
post #328 of 3326 Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh I see. Mine is actually similiar. My access "hole" (lets call it) is on the LEFT BOTTOM/MIDDLE of the TV. So I just curl them all around and run along the bottom. Then into the recessed double gang hole. It wasn't that difficult with the wire ties and an hours time.

When I was hanging it, I actually put it on the stand on a dresser in front of the fireplace (at the right height). Then connected everything. Whipped the stand off and threw it on the wall. Thats the only way I could figure out to do it. Still took 3 to mount it. 2 to hang it and me fiddling with the wires a bit.

Yea going to tie the wires together it should help a bit, I might get some swivel adapters hopefully they'll work.
post #329 of 3326 Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM

Well decided to join in on the settings for the D7000. I am an owner of the 55inch European version, but as I understand it the D7000 in the states and europe are the same, the only differences are between the D8000 versions.
So here goes my first rundown (UE-55D7000)

Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 8 (3D: 12)
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Sharpness 10 (SD: 20)
Color 50
Tint 50/50

Black Tone Off
Dynamic Contrast Off
Shadow Detail 0
Gamma 0
Color Space Auto
Flesh Tone 0
Edge Enhancement Off
Motion Lighting Off
xvYCC Off
Led Motion Plus Off

Colour Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Off
Mpeg Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black level Low
Film Mode n/a
Motion Plus Clear
post #330 of 3326 Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM

Fellow UNxxD7000 owners:

See my new thread post here. Anyone know of any known bugs/issues with HDMI pass-through from a receiver? Maybe I am a firmware version behind or something?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20321394

Thanks.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d7000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page