Yeah . . and investment is NOT a word used in the AV world! eek.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3317 Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When its only 2 and 1/2 years old. It still counts as investment... After 3 years the investment is then allowed to exhibit investment decline.

I never in the history of TVs had anything break or last shorter than about 10 years, unless I threw a brick at it during a irritating presidential election commercial, of course smile.gif
post #3303 of 3317 Old 05-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Liked: 11
I was watching my UN60D7000V LED TV today for about 1.5 hours when I noticed a thin horizontal black line suddenly appear on the screen from the right side. It doesn't extend the entire length of the panel and fades away as it reaches about 6 inches from the left side of the panel. Any ideas what is wrong, what to do to fix it, and about how much it will cost? I bought the unit on November 26, 2011, so it is no longer under warranty. Here is an example of the black line:

post #3304 of 3317 Old 05-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Have a look at the pictures I posted a few posts up. If this is similar to what you're seeing, then Samsung says 99% its a panel problem and the panel would need to be replaced, for the 55 inch around $900.
post #3305 of 3317 Old 05-10-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrichardson View Post

Have a look at the pictures I posted a few posts up. If this is similar to what you're seeing, then Samsung says 99% its a panel problem and the panel would need to be replaced, for the 55 inch around $900.
That looks to be the same issue, except you have multiple lines. Ugh. I agree completely with you on all the above. Now it looks like I'm about to be shopping for a new set. At least I will save a little money and not get 3D this time around. Perhaps it is time to look at another brand other than Samsung. frown.gif
post #3306 of 3317 Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post

That looks to be the same issue, except you have multiple lines. Ugh. I agree completely with you on all the above. Now it looks like I'm about to be shopping for a new set. At least I will save a little money and not get 3D this time around. Perhaps it is time to look at another brand other than Samsung. frown.gif

I had the same issue you guys were having about 3 months out of warranty. I called Samsung and tore them a new one. I got a 1 time extension to the warranty and the panel replaced. You guys are a bit further out, but it's worth a try.
post #3307 of 3317 Old 05-13-2014, 05:51 PM

Sorry

post #3308 of 3317 Old 05-18-2014, 09:17 PM

I've been in the market for a new TV and managed to find a pretty good deal on a new 65" H6350 (after a price match guarantee). Perhaps the line was just an internal excuse to buy a new TV. Anyhow, it is being delivered tomorrow. I seriously contemplated switching to Sony with the Roku, but I played with one and I'm not a fan of the Plex client on there (compared to the Samsung client) ... night and day (and they charge for that crap).

Ironically enough, the line has completely disappeared as of this afternoon. This was a few hours after I received confirmation about the price match refund being processed. The line was on there this morning, but I turned the set off to take a nap earlier in the afternoon and I heard a pop after I almost had dozed off. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I haven't seen the line on the TV since I turned it back on this evening. I've turned it off and on multiple times, switched inputs, etc. No lines at all. Also, nothing has changed in my set up. No new devices, no changed cables, no power adjustments, nothing. The only thing changed now is my wife's opinion of me for buying yet another new television. But hey, at least our 52" in the bedroom is now being upgraded to a 60" LED, right? smile.gif
Mattyo1612 likes this.
post #3309 of 3317 Old 05-25-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad to hear the line on your television has disappeared! It's interesting you mention that you heard a pop coming from your d7000. I have a 55D7000 and it has made the "popping" or "cracking" sound ever since I bought the set(11/11). It usually always occurs when I turn the set on or off and it rarely pops just once. Usually it pops 3 or 4 times each time it happens.

I have always been curious as to why my television makes this popping sound. Never really concerned me too much because the set has always worked flawlessly in the 2.5 years I have had it. Only issue I had was the television speakers needed to be replaced under warranty.

Anyone have any idea what could or is causing the popping sound??
post #3310 of 3317 Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander842 View Post

Anyone have any idea what could or is causing the popping sound??
A colleague said that this was likely some capacitors or connections expanding and contracting with heat. He suggested that I could have likely took the panel apart and played with the connectors a bit to see if that helped. I know nothing about the internals of a TV (give me a computer or server and that's a different story), so I have no clue. I wish I could be of more help as to what was done (aside from the inevitable correction after buying a new TV ... that seems to always happen to me).
post #3311 of 3317 Old 05-29-2014, 09:18 AM

Liked: 21
I have only just discovered that there's a firmware update version 1029.0 available, looks like it's been available for a few weeks now... I have downloaded onto a usb and have uploaded to my UA55D7000 I can't say that I've noticed anything different as far as features or picture quality goes...
Does anybody know what this update contains?

post #3312 of 3317 Old 05-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

I have only just discovered that there's a firmware update version 1029.0 available, looks like it's been available for a few weeks now... I have downloaded onto a usb and have uploaded to my UA55D7000 I can't say that I've noticed anything different as far as features or picture quality goes...

My 60" says there isn't an update for 1027.

Robert
post #3313 of 3317 Old 05-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWy View Post

My 60" says there isn't an update for 1027.
Most of the time updates are available via USB for weeks to months before they are put on the server for the TV's to download from. This is common practice to find if there are any bugs and reduce impact if there are any.
post #3314 of 3317 Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM

Liked: 0
3D Crosstalk

I have a UN60D7050, and with 3D in dark scenes there is enough crosstalk to make it very uncomfortable to watch. If I pause somewhere with a black background and a few white objects, there is a ghost image from each of the left and right images. This is a very accurate example of what I'm seeing IF I CLOSE ONE EYE:

http://3dvision-blog.com/wp-content/...d-ghosting.jpg

It is a moderately dark scene, and the bright objects in the scene are ghosting.

With both eyes open there is a faint image on both sides, one from the bleed through of the other, so it's a triple image(two ghosts on each side). I have also used the TV's built in 2d->3D fakery, which also exhibits the issue, just to rule out the possibility that it is the 3D signal from my source. Additionally, a TV technician on behalf of a Samsung tech support request was on site, and plugged in a PS3 to test the 3D through it, and it exhibited the same issue.

In bright movies like Brave, it is not a problem(you can still see the crosstalk if you really look for it, but it is not enough to be a bother). Any moderately dark scene(which there are alot of in many movies and games) is too hard to watch to be enjoyable from all the crosstalk. The crosstalk causes my eyes to converge on the wrong ghost images and overall it looks terrible and uncomfortable to watch. Trying to play Skyrim is impossible.

The tech replaced the mainboard because apparently the shutter glasses are driven by bluetooth, not IR, and so he wanted to rule that out as a possibility. Also did a factory reset.

We tried various settings including turning of Clear Motion, game mode both off and on.

I have replaced the batteries in the glasses. I have four pairs of glasses and they all exhibit the same issue.

Last week I updated to the newest firmware.

I'm wondering if the crosstalk is caused by the time it takes a white pixel to turn black, and thus it isn't completely blocked out or darkened fully as it flips between left and right image. Isn't there some specification/benchmark for TVs that quantifies this? How does the 7000 series measure up in this regard?

I've heard some glasses are engineered with a period of blackout for both eyes during frame transition, to minimize crosstalk. However, I would bet Samsung has opted not to do this, as to maximize brightness since that is probably has more impact from a marketing/sales standpoint. It is capable of being extremely bright and so I would be willing to sacrifice some brightness to improve the crosstalk, but there is no setting I no of to eliminate this.

The tech was sent out not at my request, but it was the phone tech's idea. I felt a little silly having him here just for my 3D, but the whole point of this very expensive upgrade was to get 3D that was bright enough that it'd be enjoyable. This was a pretty expensive LED compared to some lower refresh rate models I could have gotten, so kind of disappointed to have shelled out and not accomplished what I hoped. The tech went away baffled, and said he'd do some research. I think because he tested it with Brave and there weren't any scenes early on exhibiting the issue, he wasn't convinced it was a significant issue.

I used to have a Samsung DLP supporting the old 3D standard, and it also used active shutter glasses, for which I never had crosstalk problems. However, I replaced it because it was overall too dark in 3D and I didn't like the checkboard 3D. If they made DLPs with the newer 3D standard and better brightness, I would have stuck with DLP, but of course they aren't as easy to wall mount and probably harder to market/sale in Samsung's opinion. The image quality and refresh rate was so much better IMO. They were only about a foot deep, and were actually lighter than most LCD/LED's. Anyway that's neither here nor there.

Any ideas as to how I might improve the situation? Are there any compatible after-market shutter glasses that might have adjustable blackout between frames to improve the crosstalk situation?

Are there any settings the tech might have access to to adjust this? He was unfamiliar with the concept of crosstalk, but he did have access to some sort of special manufacturer settings menu, and I'm wondering if anyone might be knowledgeable of a setting that he'd be able to adjust that wouldn't be in my own menus.

I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the driving of the glasses from my computer(connected to TV via HDMI), maybe a timing offset or something in case there is a sync issue with the glasses I could adjust for. I reallize this is unlikely as the TV controls the glasses, but perhaps the HDMI signal drives this timing somehow?

Is this just the nature of LED TV's, or is it possible I would have a better experience if Samsung replaced this unit, or if I tried a different model?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited by AaronLS; 06-12-2014 at 05:21 PM.
post #3315 of 3317 Old 06-13-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the 55" D 7000 and also enjoy playing 3dvison. I notice the crosstalk as well. I have had the set for almost 3 years now and have come to the conclusion that unfortunately crosstalk is the nature of the beast with these sets. It definitely bugs me as well but I usually end up finding a compromise by lowering the depth setting just enough to minimize crosstalk while still maintaining an eye popping 3d picture.Adjusting convergence on games that allow you to do so seems to also help. Some games look awesome in 3dvision others I can't play because of the crosstalk.
The first TV I had for 3d vision was the 55" C 7000. This 3d tv had double the crosstalk of the d 7000, even though it was only a year older. 6 weeks ago I purchased a new 2014 Samsung 65"h7150 set and I was hoping that crosstalk would be eliminated since the 14's are the fifth generation of Samsung 3d tvs. Unfortunately my new set seems to almost have the same crosstalk issues as my d7000. The picture does appear to have more depth and crispness though.
AaronLS likes this.
post #3316 of 3317 Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander842 View Post
I have the 55" D 7000 and also enjoy playing 3dvison. I notice the crosstalk as well. I have had the set for almost 3 years now and have come to the conclusion that unfortunately crosstalk is the nature of the beast with these sets. It definitely bugs me as well but I usually end up finding a compromise by lowering the depth setting just enough to minimize crosstalk while still maintaining an eye popping 3d picture.Adjusting convergence on games that allow you to do so seems to also help. Some games look awesome in 3dvision others I can't play because of the crosstalk.
The first TV I had for 3d vision was the 55" C 7000. This 3d tv had double the crosstalk of the d 7000, even though it was only a year older. 6 weeks ago I purchased a new 2014 Samsung 65"h7150 set and I was hoping that crosstalk would be eliminated since the 14's are the fifth generation of Samsung 3d tvs. Unfortunately my new set seems to almost have the same crosstalk issues as my d7000. The picture does appear to have more depth and crispness though.
Firmware version 1029 is the latest release for June 2014
post #3317 of 3317 Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyo1612 View Post

My question again is: Does anybody, anyone at all, know what this update contains???

Last edited by Mattyo1612; 06-27-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d7000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page