Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3325 Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoeGrizzly View Post

I just purchased this television earlier today, and I'm still fiddling around with the calibration settings from various samples. The main question I had was regarding the Micro Dimming feature. I've been going through tons of pages on this topic, and I figured it would just be easier to ask and hope someone gives me a suitable answer.

Is the Micro Dimming feature activated automatically, or is there a way to turn it OFF/ON? I know activating the Game mode disables all processing (motion and dimming), but I'm wondering if there is an option to regulate the dimming feature without going into Game mode? I have noticed clouding on my set, which made me question whether I had the Micro Dimming feature activated.

I don't believe the microdimming can be turned off in normal menu .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anismo View Post

I don't believe the microdimming can be turned off in normal menu .

That's unfortunate, because I have noticed some pretty serious clouding on my set. I know all edge-lit and even full-array sets have some degree of clouding/blooming, but for a TV that's suppose to be this advanced it seems rather unacceptable.
post #903 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 12:17 PM

@BigJoeGrizzly what size is your set?
post #904 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 12:40 PM

Has anyone had the un46d7000 for a few weeks and seen the clouding and bleeding go away. Mine has a few light spots noticable if you are in the dark at the bottom if the movie has black bars, also one in the corner a little. Samsung told me to put the backlight at 7 and use the standard or movie mode for two to three weeks and said it would go away. I exchanged the tv when I first saw this, then the second showed the same issue. Now that I came to this forum, I see that it's universal. Has anybodys clouding and bleeding disappeared at all. Thanks!!
post #905 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystical80 View Post

Has anyone had the un46d7000 for a few weeks and seen the clouding and bleeding go away. Mine has a few light spots noticable if you are in the dark at the bottom if the movie has black bars, also one in the corner a little. Samsung told me to put the backlight at 7 and use the standard or movie mode for two to three weeks and said it would go away. I exchanged the tv when I first saw this, then the second showed the same issue. Now that I came to this forum, I see that it's universal. Has anybodys clouding and bleeding disappeared at all. Thanks!!

My clouding was pretty bad during the first week of use but now it is barely noticeable after 1 month of use. I usually keep my back light at 10 and under. The only place where my TV still shows a little bit of clouding is the top right corner but you really have to look for it. A normal person would never notice it. When I watch TV with all of my light off, I turn the back light to 6 and the brightness and Gama down. At this point, there is absolutely NO clouding or flashlighting. I have still yet to see a side lit LED with no clouding or flashlighting when the backlight and brightness is cranked sky high. Usually the people complaining of such things seem the like a bright, color popping unnatural picture.
post #906 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks!!!
post #907 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 05:03 PM

I pretty much have decided to return it. I thought I would gamble despite the comments in this thread, but I ended up with the same problems as have been echoed.

I just don't have faith in trying to exchange it for a perfect unit (it seems to be like looking for a needle in a haystack).

I guess I'll be going back to my aging (but less cloudy) A850.

I will miss everything else about this tv though.
post #908 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 05:14 PM

what is difference between the 7000 and 8000? And is it worth the price difference?
post #909 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leobag View Post

@BigJoeGrizzly what size is your set?

I have the 46''.
post #910 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM

Liked: 11
Is the animation fluid on this TV ? I'm looking to get one, don't care about colors or black level, just want a perfect movement transition, my LG Plasma is horrible right now and i want to return it for a LED, tried the Sharp Le830 and there's was a small ghosting effect on it.

Is this TV worth buying ? Or not ?
post #911 of 3325 Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 PM

HI,

Just got the UN55D7000 a few days ago,
Freaken Sweet TV!!!
I have not seen any defects as mentioned in the posts above.

Have a few questions in regards to this TV (last TV was Old Sony 36 inc Trinitron Wega...) 400 Lbs ROFL.

1)What are the specs of the wireless adapter inside this TV?
Ex: Is wireless adapter in the TV set for dual band wireless routers (5 GHz) ?
and is that plentyof Bandwith to stream HD video?

2)I it worth the price to have a tech come and Calibrate the TV ?
Charging 100$ to have it Claibrated
Is it a rip off or does it really benifit.

Thanks

BTW great site
post #912 of 3325 Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko_450 View Post

HI,

Just got the UN55D7000 a few days ago,
Freaken Sweet TV!!!
I have not seen any defects as mentioned in the posts above.

Have a few questions in regards to this TV (last TV was Old Sony 36 inc Trinitron Wega...) 400 Lbs ROFL.

1)What are the specs of the wireless adapter inside this TV?
Ex: Is wireless adapter in the TV set for dual band wireless routers (5 GHz) ?
and is that plentyof Bandwith to stream HD video?

2)I it worth the price to have a tech come and Calibrate the TV ?
Charging 100$ to have it Claibrated
Is it a rip off or does it really benifit.

Thanks

BTW great site

After doing some brief research, it appears this set does not support the 5 GHz band signal. On the calibration front, I would recommend searching for calibration settings posted by fellow members of this forum, as well as seeing if there are any legitimate websites that have done reviews, and may have calibration settings posted. I personally do not consider giving final impressions on a television until it has been suitably calibrated, so if the settings you find are not acceptable, I recommend splurging a little extra for the professional calibration.
post #913 of 3325 Old 08-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Thanks for the reply Big Joe

When you say brief search
I searched for 2 days looking for the wireless specs for this TV.
were did you happen to find this information.

So I suppose just a regular N series router would suit just fine to stream HD movies from my home network.
post #914 of 3325 Old 08-26-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko_450 View Post

Thanks for the reply Big Joe

When you say brief search
I searched for 2 days looking for the wireless specs for this TV.
were did you happen to find this information.

So I suppose just a regular N series router would suit just fine to stream HD movies from my home network.

Jack, I've spent countless hours searching for calibration settings for the UND7000 and they are far and few between. The only ones I find are usually done by amateurs who like their TV bright with the Auto Motion enabled. I don't understand how anyone can watch TV with the Auto Motion enabled due to the picture looking fake. Even on clear mode which everyone seems to recomend. I am thinking about getting a calibration DVD so I can get the basic settings exact. Im having a hard time shelling $300 out for a professional calibration. I have noticed there's a fine line between looking good and looking artificial on this TV. Its so clear that characters on the TV tend to not blend in with the background of whatever your watching. In order to get the most realistic picture out of this set, you need to calibrate your settings in Game Mode or in Movie Mode. Just make sure, if you use movie mode, disable all the processing options such as, LED Motion Plus, Auto Motion Plus and Film Mode. If you read reviews, they will usually tell you to enable Film Mode 2 to optimize picture quality but after the new firmware update, enabling Film Mode is the culprit that was making my shows/movies look fake. It doesn't give tge Soap Opera effect like Auto Motion Plus but instead, it gives the green screen effect where all of the characters seem to pop out and make them look like their standing in front of a green screen.
post #915 of 3325 Old 08-27-2011, 04:55 PM

I am thinking about getting this TV tomorrow. Any recommendations on a good bluray player to match with it?
post #916 of 3325 Old 08-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ View Post
I am thinking about getting this TV tomorrow. Any recommendations on a good bluray player to match with it?
Not sure. When I bought mine it came with the Samsung BD-D6500 for free. The only thing I have to compare it to is my PS3.

*shrug*
post #917 of 3325 Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM

You like?
post #918 of 3325 Old 08-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankZ
You like?
The Samsung is just your barebones run of the mill player. I thought it was a bit slow to load, but since it was "free" I can't complain.

The connectivity is nice, but it doesn't have anything the tv doesn't already have (Smart Hub, etc) built in.

If it wasn't bundled in I'd still be using the PS3. Now I can at least give that a break.
post #919 of 3325 Old 08-27-2011, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 564
The PS3 is a fast player. Not sure why you want to give it a break. It also has an excellent Netflix and Vudu implementation. But anyway, to each their own.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #920 of 3325 Old 08-28-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Jack, I've spent countless hours searching for calibration settings for the UND7000 and they are far and few between. The only ones I find are usually done by amateurs who like their TV bright with the Auto Motion enabled. I don't understand how anyone can watch TV with the Auto Motion enabled due to the picture looking fake. Even on clear mode which everyone seems to recomend. I am thinking about getting a calibration DVD so I can get the basic settings exact. Im having a hard time shelling $300 out for a professional calibration. I have noticed there's a fine line between looking good and looking artificial on this TV. Its so clear that characters on the TV tend to not blend in with the background of whatever your watching. In order to get the most realistic picture out of this set, you need to calibrate your settings in Game Mode or in Movie Mode. Just make sure, if you use movie mode, disable all the processing options such as, LED Motion Plus, Auto Motion Plus and Film Mode. If you read reviews, they will usually tell you to enable Film Mode 2 to optimize picture quality but after the new firmware update, enabling Film Mode is the culprit that was making my shows/movies look fake. It doesn't give tge Soap Opera effect like Auto Motion Plus but instead, it gives the green screen effect where all of the characters seem to pop out and make them look like their standing in front of a green screen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #921 of 3325 Old 08-28-2011, 10:42 AM

Liked: 11
Just wondering if anyone else's TV (mine is the 55D7000) has a horizontal band at the top of the screen where its noticably darker on certain images (solid blues for example) but not noticable on 'busy' screens and white screens?

Thx
post #922 of 3325 Old 08-28-2011, 05:40 PM

Can use some help, with apologies in advance if I'm being dumb. Today I got by second UN60D7000 home. The first one had no clouding or banding or flashlighting issues to speak of, but the lip sync issue was driving me batty.

Followed Anismo's advice and direct connected another input source(3D Blueray) directly to another HDMI input, tried 3 different DirecTV HD receivers or PVRs, direct connected the DirecTV to HMDI source, changed HMDI cables. Finally took it back to BB rather than wait for service call.

I am using Droozy's initial post on Movie Mode (supplemented by Anismo). Still very happy with the picture except for a new development:

1. Today watching golf and baseball, I noticed for the first time with either set that there was a "trail" effect on the ball. This bugs. I decided LED tech was fine since I only watch golf, cycling, baseball and football, none of which are super "fast action" sports. Since I had Droozy's settings running, I had LED Motion set to OFF and Auto Motion Plus set to CLEAR. After I noticed this, I turned LED Motion ON. Frankly, I have no idea what either does. Is there a way to eliminate this? I ran the first UN60D7000 for over two weeks without noticing a "trail" so I know it can be done.

2. Lip Sync issue: it's the same with the replacement set, essentially confirming for me that it's not the TV (spent hours with Samsung Tech Support) and was told I was an idiot by the dude at BB since he connected the first one to a Blueray and told me it was fine. I forced the exchange anyway, telling him, I don't care whether you observe it or not. It's clearly happening with a lot of different cables, settings, DirecTV boxes, direct connect. I may owe him an apology, because the same issue on two tvs suggests the problem is elsewhere though his attitude sucked.

So, the culprit has to be my Denon AV-887. It's a few years old and I'm no audiophile, just want surround sound that sounds decent. I have HDMI (new cable 1.4 running from the DirecTV HR24-500 to the Denon and output from the Denon to HDMI 1/DVI on the D7000. Is there some setting on the Denon I need to change, maybe the way its processing sound? I don't think it can handle 3D anyway.

Do I need to investigate a newer AVR? If, so, any strong recommendations? Newer Denon, Onkyo?

Sorry for length.
post #923 of 3325 Old 08-28-2011, 09:23 PM

TV is packed up and ready to be returned.

I couldn't get over the fact that in many ways my 3yr old 120hz Samsung A850 CCFL backlit LCD looked better during day to day tv/movie watching. That's ignoring the fact that I could not completely eliminate the flashlighting and clouding on the D7000.

I am now in firm agreement that edge lit LED is not where its at, especially on the Samsung front. It's sad, because I really wanted to love this tv. The 3d is great, I love the Smart Hub aspects, etc.

post #924 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 12:45 AM

Just curious, with all of the problems I've read on this tv which have been posted since March why are people still purchasing it? Is the full array panel sets the answer, I was ready to purchase the 8000 but having second thoughts.
post #925 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 AM

those who accepted the tv did lots of calibration, probably could accept the flaws, reduced the clouding visibility with bias lighting installed etc.

it all boils down to personal preference, unless its really faulty (lines on screen etc)
post #926 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 AM

I had the 55D7000 for 2 months after my Sony showed a vertical line.

My set had clouding, banding and judder issue's. Got a replacement and there it was better but still not perfect.

Samsung came and replaced the lcd panel, clouding was better but i noticed more flashlighting and backlight bleeding on the bottom.

Also banding was quite bad in grey scene's.

I have my tv connected to my pc and the support was pretty lowsy, changing the HDMI name to PC disables 85% of the settings and gives a very colorless picture. When setting the HDMI port to normal, the text was just awfull to look at until i turned sharpness to 0..

Finally i gave up, i just wasn't happy with a 2500euro tv with this handicaps, i sold it and got myself a Sony 55HX920.

I really am blown away by the Sony, no clouding, no backlight bleeding, no banding, full pc support.

Only the 3D was a lil bit better with the Samsung but in the end when you buy a D7xxx/8xxxx series from Samsung, you pay for a thing edge tv with clouding/bleeding/banding and if you are lucky you have those issue in minimum form but you will have them.

Never again a Samsung for me....
post #927 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Just letting you all know, a lot of your problems can be eliminated by calibrating your set in Game Mode. I was about to give up on mine until I read about calibrating it in Game Mode. The picture is like night and day.
post #928 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsceneJesster View Post

Just letting you all know, a lot of your problems can be eliminated by calibrating your set in Game Mode. I was about to give up on mine until I read about calibrating it in Game Mode. The picture is like night and day.

Where did you read the information about calibrating in Game Mode?
post #929 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Great Price on 3D glasses today only....

http://www.emtcompany.com/todays-big...-day-sale.html

$29 bucks for the battery ones. 3100 samsungs

Great way to boost the number of people over to watch eye candy... lol

post #930 of 3325 Old 08-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droozy View Post

Great Price on 3D glasses today only....

http://www.emtcompany.com/todays-big...-day-sale.html

$29 bucks for the battery ones. 3100 samsungs

Great way to boost the number of people over to watch eye candy... lol

Droozy -

Great catch! I got my order in - do you get a commission?

Thanks,

Andre'
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d7000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page