Official Samsung UNXXD7000 Owners' Thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2521 of 3317 Old 03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightrope View Post

I bought mine from Amazon, and had no issue whatsoever, the TV being delivered in good condition. Based on my experience with Amazon, they have excellent return policies, had the TV been defective.

Same experience here. Just make sure it is at the very least "Fulfilled by Amazon" so you get Amazon's return policies that usually include return shipping costs on many TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

Can someone tell me why they went with a 7000 over a 6000 and why they didn't go with an 8000 over a 7000?

My main reason for choosing the 7000 is for the bezel. The 6000 series has a much wider bezel. The 8000 series is thin, but slightly different in color and has a bulge at the bottom center around the logo. Totally personal preference, of course. I know there are technical differences, too, but I would probably have been happy with the picture on any of them and focused on the style I wanted. Consumer Reports rated a few models in the series, so you might check out their comments if you trust their ratings. I couldn't find any other "pro" reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin1886 View Post

Is anyone else running their HDMI components through a Denon to their D7000? Any problems I should be aware of before hooking everything up? Thanks

I just got mine hooked up to a Denon 2112. Only issue is that if Samsung CEC is enabled on the TV, you will lose HDMI standby passthrough. That appears to be the case with most TVs that conform to the HDMI standard, best I can tell. If you don't need HDMI standby passthrough, no big deal. I wanted that feature so the kids can easily turn on the tv and cable box and watch without the receiver on, so I disabled CEC. I could care less about losing the various remote control functions. The Denon is nice so far, but the auto lip sync didn't quite correct the issues I was having with the D7000 from both my STB and BR. It needed almost 100ms additional delay to get then in sync, but seems to be working fine now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by quicsand View Post

Update: so I bought this bundle deal off of eBay from tiger direct on3-15-12 for $1499.99......This is why I only buy online from Amazon. They have never done me wrong. I somehow knew this deal from tiger direct was to good to be true. Sometimes I hate it when I am right.


I've had issues with Tiger Direct in the past as well for not honoring prices and selling open box items. They also have a lousy return policy, though if you get it on eBay you may be able to fight through ebay if you have an issue. I saw that deal and for a moment considered returning my set to Amazon since I'm still in the return period. Amazon's price was almost $200 higher and didn't include the bundle, but I decided it wasn't worth the potential hassle.


So far, I'm very happy with the D7000. Now that it's roughly calibrated and in a brighter room, I can't even detect the small amounts of backlight bleed at the edges and flashlighting at the corners. No dead pixels or other problems identified in the calibration. I think the blacks and shadow detail are definitely inferior to the Pioneer plasma that is now in the bedroom, but it's definitely brighter and a lot more vibrant, even on my "Movie" calibrated settings. During the day on "Standard" or "Dynamic" it looks like the sun compared to my 5-year old plasma.

I have the D7000 mounted on a very low profile mount (Peerless SUF-650P) and it's very close to the wall. The mount has minimal adjustments, so I'm glad I had a pro do the install and wiring. The shortest bolt was too short and the longest bolt was too long for the D7000, so we had to use the longer bolt with a couple washers to keep the bottom from tilting out. Overall, the front edge of the TV is a hair over 1.5 inches from the wall and closely matches the height and thickness of the Definitive Technologies XTR-50 speakers next to it. Looks great on the wall, almost as good from the side as from the front!
Darren_C is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2522 of 3317 Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
Member
 
quicsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

So far, I'm very happy with the D7000. Now that it's roughly calibrated and in a brighter room, I can't even detect the small amounts of backlight bleed at the edges and flashlighting at the corners. No dead pixels or other problems identified in the calibration. I think the blacks and shadow detail are definitely inferior to the Pioneer plasma that is now in the bedroom, but it's definitely brighter and a lot more vibrant, even on my "Movie" calibrated settings. During the day on "Standard" or "Dynamic" it looks like the sun compared to my 5-year old plasma.

That is another concern for me with this tv is the potential for the clouds and flashlighting. All throughout this thread and the D8000 thread it is the same thing as well as on Amazon reviews. Every other post/review seems to have these problems. It just amazes me that Samsung can charge so much more for their tv's when it is a coin flip that will determine whether or not you will have any combination of banding, clouding or flashlighting. With some of the pictures I have seen posted it is hard to believe some of these units ever left the factory. The worst part is that the "one design" Samsungs are possibly the best looking sets physically with the very small bezel. In the end of course, it is all about the picture.
quicsand is offline  
post #2523 of 3317 Old 03-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicsand View Post

That is another concern for me with this tv is the potential for the clouds and flashlighting. All throughout this thread and the D8000 thread it is the same thing as well as on Amazon reviews. Every other post/review seems to have these problems. It just amazes me that Samsung can charge so much more for their tv's when it is a coin flip that will determine whether or not you will have any combination of banding, clouding or flashlighting. With some of the pictures I have seen posted it is hard to believe some of these units ever left the factory. The worst part is that the "one design" Samsungs are possibly the best looking sets physically with the very small bezel. In the end of course, it is all about the picture.

I think it comes down to what bothers you the most personally in regard to picture quality. If you need the backlight, brightness, shadow detail and other features cranked up and uneven backlight issues bother you, then another type of panel might be the best way to go. For example, the Sony LED that Magnolia had in their darker showroom also had some backlight bleed and flashlighting, though it likely was set to showroom blast mode which made it more apparent.

Plasmas don't usually have these types of black uniformity problems, but there are tradeoffs of course. They aren't as bright when calibrated and tend to be bulkier and heavier among other things. I also considered an LG 55" LED screen that uses another type of LED panel. My biggest issue with at least 3 of these at different stores was uneven brightness uniformity. The set was very splotchy with well lit and fairly even scenes, like snow, water, sky, etc. I had a high end Loewe CRT screen years back when it was king of the display world and it had similar issues and there was nothing at all you could do about it but notice it all the time, no matter how you adjusted the set.

For me, in the family room mostly used by the kids and for entertaining, I wanted a bright picture and sleek design. I also didn't want uneven bright uniformity because that catches my eye. The backlight issues I can minimize to where I'd only barely notice them on the darkest scenes at night. For others, it may be the other way around of course. If black levels and shadow detail are critical and you have a dark room, maybe a high end Panasonic plasma is the way to go. For me, I have my nice Pioneer plasma in the bedroom where we watch more often, especially at night when it looks awesome even after 5 years.
Darren_C is offline  
post #2524 of 3317 Old 03-19-2012, 10:57 PM
Member
 
jphuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by anismo View Post

I got my UN60D7000 replaced due to the clouding and flashlighting.. was hoping that the new one will have reduced clouding and flash lighting. but it seems slightly worser than my earlier panel. Wife really likes the TV because of its colors and brightness and I am in a bit of dilemma here.. Not sure what to do.

I dont think another D7000 is the answer (I might as well keep this one). Wondering If I should reconsider plasma or the Sony 929 (Which is smaller than I want it to be) .. I dont expect D8000 to be any better in this regard decisions decisions...

Ok, I'm curious. I posted earlier that I see absolutely nothing wrong with this TV. However, although I didn't see this at first, In a completely black room, and only when the display is "showing" an actual black screen in a movie, like between the end of a movie and when the credits start or something like that, I CAN see VERY FAINT patterns that look somewhat like some have posted here in photographs. I don't see them NEARLY as bright as the pictures though. Some VERY FAINT luminescence in the far upper corners as well.

Now, none of this is visible if even one line of credits is showing on the screen. I see no distortion or "clouding" of the image, whether faint and dark or a bright image.

Bottom line, this "flash lighting" doesn't seem to have any real world affect on the TV as it ONLY even shows up, and barely at that, when the screen is blank. So my normal reaction to this would tend to be "it's just the design of an LED/LCD display." If it doesn't affect the picture, doesn't seem to be a problem. And if it's only noticeable if I look carefully in a completely dark room with a completely dark picture, and not when there's the slightest anything being shown on the screen or with any ambient light about, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

I guess my question is, are those of you who have or have seen this problem seeing it much brighter than what I describe here? Or is what I'm describing the actual issue?

One other thing. So far, I've played Skyrim, and some quick twitch shooters on my PS3 and I haven't noticed any lag or issues. Same in 3D mode. I haven't had to switch the TV to "game mode." Oh, my panel says it's an F301, if that helps.

I'm really liking this TV. I just wonder if some amount of this flash lighting isn't just a "normal" part of the technology? Especially since so many seem to see it. I have seen this issue on display model TV's of various brands in the stores, but only in areas that have darker ambient lighting. Again, seems to me to be something endemic to LCD/LED TV's.

All you have to do is decide what to do with the time given to you....
jphuff is offline  
post #2525 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Member
 
Guitar7674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nitra,
So I finally fixed the greenish tint I was getting on my D7000. After weeks of trying different things without success, I finally tweaked the Green Offset (under White balance) from 25 down to 16. It totally corrected the issue. What I'd like to ask you is: Does having my Green offset at 16 keep it within properly calibrated numbers???
Thanks again
Guitar7674 is offline  
post #2526 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 03:06 AM
Newbie
 
srired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
reposting to get expert's attention..

Quote:
Originally Posted by srired View Post

My 46D7000 has a very bad off angle display problem. The blacks look like bluish-indigo color if I see the TV from any other angle other than dead straight. The TV is table mounted and the blacks appear as blacks only when I watch it while sitting on my couch which is quite opposite to the TV. The vertical viewing angle also quite limited. The moment I stand infront of the TV, the blacks turn bluish.. can you please suggest the settings to correct this problem? I dont see this problem for th TVs in the showroom though (not sure if it is due to the lighting in the showroom)

srired is offline  
post #2527 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphuff View Post

Ok, I guess my question is, are those of you who have or have seen this problem seeing it much brighter than what I describe here? Or is what I'm describing the actual issue?
...
I'm really liking this TV. I just wonder if some amount of this flash lighting isn't just a "normal" part of the technology? Especially since so many seem to see it. I have seen this issue on display model TV's of various brands in the stores, but only in areas that have darker ambient lighting. Again, seems to me to be something endemic to LCD/LED TV's.

Any LED with backlighting will have this issue. I have dual computer monitors and my Samsung monitor shows it quite clearly, but the other one is barely perceptible. There are certainly differences based on technology, construction and even set to set variations. So, in addition to having some sets that are better or worse than others, there are also the issues of perception, room lighting and type of viewing that make all the difference.

For a lot of people, especially videophiles, having deep, even blacks and excellent shadow detail for dark room viewing are a top priority. For that, you have to be really picky if you are buying an LED backlit set, less so with plasmas. Some still consider CRTs the best for this purpose. You know, the big behemoth in the basement next to the phonograph, cassette deck and typewriter;-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar7674 View Post

Nitra,
So I finally fixed the greenish tint I was getting on my D7000. After weeks of trying different things without success, I finally tweaked the Green Offset (under White balance) from 25 down to 16. It totally corrected the issue. What I'd like to ask you is: Does having my Green offset at 16 keep it within properly calibrated numbers???
Thanks again

I think whatever looks good to your eye is properly calibrated!

Keep in mind that there are panel-to-panel variations and even variations among models with the same panel. Even more important is your room lighting that will vary from anyone else's. So, if you use a pro calibration disc, you may also come up with somewhat different numbers than anyone else and still likely to be different from what an ISF calibration would do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srired View Post

reposting to get expert's attention..

Narrow viewing angles are inherent for this type of panel, it's one of their major drawbacks compared to other LCD panels and plasmas. I can't say if the issue you are seeing is typical or not, though, sorry!
Darren_C is offline  
post #2528 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Newbie
 
bsc2321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar7674 View Post

Nitra,
So I finally fixed the greenish tint I was getting on my D7000. After weeks of trying different things without success, I finally tweaked the Green Offset (under White balance) from 25 down to 16. It totally corrected the issue. What I'd like to ask you is: Does having my Green offset at 16 keep it within properly calibrated numbers???
Thanks again

I think "properly calibrated numbers" are whatever make your TV set look best. Numbers that work for someone else, may not work for you, so as long as your set looks good then you are within "properly calibrated numbers".
bsc2321 is offline  
post #2529 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by srired View Post

reposting to get expert's attention..

This is not normal, at least to that degree, I'll post some pictures later of my off viewing angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsc2321 View Post

I think "properly calibrated numbers" are whatever make your TV set look best. Numbers that work for someone else, may not work for you, so as long as your set looks good then you are within "properly calibrated numbers".

Calibration is inherent to the user, there are very many that cannot watch TV dialed into 6500k, it looks too off from what their viewing experience has been on older TV's.
If it looks good to you, go with it, at the end of the day, you are the one that needs to look at the screen, not anyone else.
nitra is offline  
post #2530 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Member
 
modthispny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So past few days I’ve noticed a faint glowing white line on the left/right edges of the tv. I switched between ‘screen fit’ and ‘16x9’ and still see it, and see it in blu ray as well.

If the scene is white, it doesn’t show, but anything there is a darker scene it becomes noticeable.

I feel as if the screen should be adjusted to either stretch out 1 setting or shift over one setting, unfortunately that setting is grayed out.

Is this a result of clouding?

thanks

modthispny is offline  
post #2531 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

So past few days I’ve noticed a faint glowing white line on the left/right edges of the tv. I switched between ‘screen fit’ and ‘16x9’ and still see it, and see it in blu ray as well.

If the scene is white, it doesn’t show, but anything there is a darker scene it becomes noticeable.

I feel as if the screen should be adjusted to either stretch out 1 setting or shift over one setting, unfortunately that setting is grayed out.

Is this a result of clouding?

thanks


That is normal, that's a result of edge lit and small bezel. Use the eco sensor, makes it better.
nitra is offline  
post #2532 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Member
 
modthispny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

That is normal, that's a result of edge lit and small bezel. Use the eco sensor, makes it better.

phew.

so with the eco sensor, i believe you said your setting is on 5?

also, once it's on, do i need to adjust backlight?
modthispny is offline  
post #2533 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

phew.

so with the eco sensor, i believe you said your setting is on 5?

also, once it's on, do i need to adjust backlight?

I have my backlight set at 10, and the eco at 5.
nitra is offline  
post #2534 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

Calibration is inherent to the user, there are very many that cannot watch TV dialed into 6500k, it looks too off from what their viewing experience has been on older TV's.
If it looks good to you, go with it, at the end of the day, you are the one that needs to look at the screen, not anyone else.

Well said.................
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #2535 of 3317 Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Member
 
modthispny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

I have my backlight set at 10, and the eco at 5.

so this definitely helped.

to understand what the eco sensor is, im guessing the minimum is the lowest the backlight will go to in a dark room. but what about a bright room? what is the maximum?
modthispny is offline  
post #2536 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

so this definitely helped.

to understand what the eco sensor is, im guessing the minimum is the lowest the backlight will go to in a dark room. but what about a bright room? what is the maximum?

The minimum will bottom out to the limits set in the eco sensor settings, the maximum will max to the backlight setting.
In the front right hand corner of the TV, near where the red LED is, there's a light sensor, as the room becomes brighter or darker, it will adjust the set automagically.
nitra is offline  
post #2537 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

I have the D7000 mounted on a very low profile mount (Peerless SUF-650P) and it's very close to the wall. The mount has minimal adjustments, so I'm glad I had a pro do the install and wiring. The shortest bolt was too short and the longest bolt was too long for the D7000, so we had to use the longer bolt with a couple washers to keep the bottom from tilting out. Overall, the front edge of the TV is a hair over 1.5 inches from the wall and closely matches the height and thickness of the Definitive Technologies XTR-50 speakers next to it. Looks great on the wall, almost as good from the side as from the front!

For anyone else interested in a flush wall mount, I put up a couple photos here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21808958

Peerless also has a 660P with the same 1/3" depth. I couldn't use it because it is has bolt patterns designed to be more closely centered on a stud with 3 stud mounting. I'm not sure if it would have allowed enough left/right shift to get it where I wanted it, but even if it did, it would have been all the way at one extreme. My TV happened to be centered almost right in between 16" studs and the 650P was needed due to the 2 stud mounting bolt hole patterns provided. This model does not provide tilt or any other adjustment, so it may not be a good option unless you desire an ultra low-profile flush tv mount.
Darren_C is offline  
post #2538 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Member
 
Bri in Mtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

For anyone else interested in a flush wall mount, I put up a couple photos here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21808958

Peerless also has a 660P with the same 1/3" depth. I couldn't use it because it is has bolt patterns designed to be more closely centered on a stud with 3 stud mounting. I'm not sure if it would have allowed enough left/right shift to get it where I wanted it, but even if it did, it would have been all the way at one extreme. My TV happened to be centered almost right in between 16" studs and the 650P was needed due to the 2 stud mounting bolt hole patterns provided. This model does not provide tilt or any other adjustment, so it may not be a good option unless you desire an ultra low-profile flush tv mount.


Very nice. Mind posting a photo from the front?
Bri in Mtl is offline  
post #2539 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
tightrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_C View Post

For anyone else interested in a flush wall mount, I put up a couple photos here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21808958

Peerless also has a 660P with the same 1/3" depth. I couldn't use it because it is has bolt patterns designed to be more closely centered on a stud with 3 stud mounting. I'm not sure if it would have allowed enough left/right shift to get it where I wanted it, but even if it did, it would have been all the way at one extreme. My TV happened to be centered almost right in between 16" studs and the 650P was needed due to the 2 stud mounting bolt hole patterns provided. This model does not provide tilt or any other adjustment, so it may not be a good option unless you desire an ultra low-profile flush tv mount.

Clean install. It looks great with your flat speakers.
tightrope is offline  
post #2540 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri in Mtl View Post

Very nice. Mind posting a photo from the front?

Not the greatest photo, but it gives you an idea. The Ikea furniture still has the plastic protector film on the doors and drawers and the right door needs to be adjusted too. My wife likes the hand made chess set from Greece there but I'm thinking maybe a clean look might be better. I wish I could take credit for hanging it, but if I had done it, it would be off center, holes in the wall, wires hanging out, tv tilted up, etc. One of my relatives does A/V installs for a living so I let him tackle it.

Edit: slightly better photo added.
LL
Darren_C is offline  
post #2541 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
These flush mounts are gr8 for lcd/led ips panels & pdps, but for our beloved 7000s not so much. What happens when u have guests over? not every1 can look straight on, some1 is going to deal with a less than adequate view of how killer this set looks. I suppose if it's just u & the mrs lookin str8 on then no prob.
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #2542 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Superfluous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

These flush mounts are gr8 for lcd/led ips panels & pdps, but for our beloved 7000s not so much. What happens when u have guests over? not every1 can look straight on, some1 is going to deal with a less than adequate view of how killer this set looks. I suppose if it's just u & the mrs lookin str8 on then no prob.

How does the mount change that? No matter where you direct it, there's only one area that has a direct view.
Superfluous is offline  
post #2543 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Darren_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Chicago Area
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

Flush mounts can't be directed once it's fixed into place was my point. if it's a swivel mount then no issue. Fixed-flush mounts are fine, as long as you're the only 1 viewing it. If you have all the boys over to watch the game, inevitably someone is not going to have an optimal view.

Right- like I said in my post, it may not be a good option unless you really want the low profile look. On the plus side, the Samsung is bright enough to where it looks pretty good from the angles of our main seating. My main concern about a fixed mount was not viewing angles, but reflections. Just being able to tilt down can help with that, but so far it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Some of the low profile tilt mounts only stick out another 0.5". Most of the tilt and swivel mounts take up an inch or more extra space behind the TV, though. It's all a tradeoff. Now that everything is run, it wouldn't be too hard for me to swap in a different mount if needed, but so far I think it works well enough and I like the look.

I also agree that if you have a wide viewing area, the mount swivel/tilt doesn't really help you. You need a different LCD panel type or plasma if that's a factor, IMO.
Darren_C is offline  
post #2544 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To all that watch NHL action, after all, playoffs are almost upon us, if u have 'Warm2' set, try taking it to 'Warm 1'. It really makes the ice pop! And after the game put it back to W2. Go KINGS go!
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #2545 of 3317 Old 03-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

How does the mount change that? No matter where you direct it, there's only one area that has a direct view.

you're right, my take was wack.
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #2546 of 3317 Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Member
 
modthispny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anybody notice that VUDU HD brightness is too high? have to lower it to around 36.

1080p looks amazing though =)
modthispny is offline  
post #2547 of 3317 Old 03-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by modthispny View Post

anybody notice that VUDU HD brightness is too high? have to lower it to around 36.

1080p looks amazing though =)

You need to adjust the calibration settings per source.
VUDU likely defaulted to the blowout mode, if you go to that source, pause it, hop into the settings and copy over your settings from another source it will likely resolve.
nitra is offline  
post #2548 of 3317 Old 03-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My Fios/DirecTV stbs have a way to set rez to 'native', which in turn will let my tv scale the various signals, whatever they may be: 480i/p,720p,1080i/p. With this approach u get various flashes & it takes time to sync up. i wonder how much better, if @ all, the Samsung components scale the signal, than the Motorola scaler does. If i just set my stbs to 1080i I don't get all the flashes/change/delay to resolve the signal.

what's your take?
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
post #2549 of 3317 Old 03-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member
 
nitra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

With this approach u get various flashes & it takes time to sync up.

This is normal, personally, I'd set it at 720p rather than 1080i.

If you had an AVR with processing, you could have it do it, at leas that would remove most of the delay.
nitra is offline  
post #2550 of 3317 Old 03-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
leftyguitar1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Texas
Posts: 871
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitra View Post

This is normal

It is normal, just some manufacturers have a better response time, than what's onboard the 6,7 series samsungs.
leftyguitar1963 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46d7000 46 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Un60d7000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver , Samsung Pn51d7000 51 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Plasma Hdtv With Pn51d7000 Bdd5500 3d Blu Ray Player 2 Ssg
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off