2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 818 Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did a recent update on 42LV5500 and it seems all the premium apps other than VUDU are now broken? When I click on them a window just pops up saying no update available. Any ideas or suggestions?

Hoyty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 818 Old 07-14-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooni View Post

... One observation is that the regular remote does not support the record function of current tv (you can't move the curser to the record button), however the wand works fine. I'm using the dvr with ota antenna, and it can pickup the tv programming for about one day and the dvr can setup the scheduling and recording (daily, weekly etc). Pretty sweet functionality. 1TB drive gives about 109hrs of HD recording.

I was trying to find a Harmony remote code for the Australian version of this tv so I could get the record button and whatever else might be different, but didn't have any luck. I just figured out the on-screen Record button also and set it to record a couple shows. I was impressed that the tv recorded the shows even with the power off (what else would it do, I know) but there's a lot of functionality built in to the tv. Especially when you consider years past required separate large dvr set-tops for recording and a separate pc for online video, web browsing etc.

Spooni, what kind of guide info is showing up in your on-screen program guide? I only get the info for the channel I'm on at the moment and it will fill up several hours worth, but all other channels say no info available. When I change to another channel it's the same thing and all info from the last channel is gone. Is your guide info accurate? Mine seems to be off by an hour on some channels.
post #273 of 818 Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post

I did a recent update on 42LV5500 and it seems all the premium apps other than VUDU are now broken? When I click on them a window just pops up saying no update available. Any ideas or suggestions?

There's an option in the Setup/Support menu for Initializing Premium. I think the fix is to go in there and update the apps your having problems with. This hasn't happened to me but I've heard of others with similar issues.
post #274 of 818 Old 07-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

I was trying to find a Harmony remote code for the Australian version of this tv so I could get the record button and whatever else might be different, but didn't have any luck. I just figured out the on-screen Record button also and set it to record a couple shows. I was impressed that the tv recorded the shows even with the power off (what else would it do, I know) but there's a lot of functionality built in to the tv. Especially when you consider years past required separate large dvr set-tops for recording and a separate pc for online video, web browsing etc.

Spooni, what kind of guide info is showing up in your on-screen program guide? I only get the info for the channel I'm on at the moment and it will fill up several hours worth, but all other channels say no info available. When I change to another channel it's the same thing and all info from the last channel is gone. Is your guide info accurate? Mine seems to be off by an hour on some channels.

The program guide acts similar to what you described with regard to the info only available for the channel your viewing, and sometimes for another at the same time. The program guide seems accurate to me (I;]'m using the the with OTA antenna). IF you flip to another channel the program guide will show the few hours with of programs (~12hrs).
post #275 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 PM

[quote=crkpot;20696531]I was trying to find a Harmony remote code for the Australian version of this tv so I could get the record button and whatever else might be different, but didn't have any luck. I just figured out the on-screen Record button also and set it to record a couple shows. I was impressed that the tv recorded the shows even with the power off (what else would it do, I know) but there's a lot of functionality built in to the tv. Especially when you consider years past required separate large dvr set-tops for recording and a separate pc for online video, web browsing etc.

I have been coming to AVS forum since 2001 but have just registered today. I will be receiving a USB 500GB Seagate harddrive tonight from Newegg. I really hope I do not run into any issues getting this drive formatted. I was really happy to hear that the recording functionality works with the TV turned off. Wish me luck.
post #276 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Well got home and found the 500GB delivered. Made sure the drive was working properly on my laptop. The drive works fine. I plugged it into my 47LV5500 TV and tried to format the drive for timeshifting. I get the disappointing message of "Initialization failed contact customer service". Has anyone else seen success in getting their drive formatted properly on their LG TV other than Crkpot? Any suggestion or help? Really disappointing.
post #277 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 08:22 PM

[quote=H_Y_L;20700839]
Sorry to hear that, but this is expected if you updated to the new firmware before setting up the dvr functionality. Crokpot had his dvr turned on and functional before the new firmware. If it is the firmware issue the potential solution could be if we revert back to the old version and turn on the dvr before updating the new version. I'm not sure we can go back to the old version!
post #278 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 PM

Plugged in an old seagate 300gig and worked right off the bat. Took forever to realize the dvr function was located on cards way to the right. Will see if it auto records OTA hd tomorrow morning.
Magic remote is kinda finicky, wish there was a way to calibrate it.
Also can't get the bottom channel viewer to work based on OTA hd.
Also I cant get my old dvd player to work, says the format is not recognized via component cables. Got cheap hdmi cables on order, but will take a few days to arrive.
Wish the browser was more useful, but nice tv for the price.
post #279 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

This is disappointing news but if it is firmware related here's a link to an older version V3.11.43 (under Drivers and Software, GP3.zip). It's a confirmed working version tested by myself and several others on the LW5600 thread (our tv's use the same firmware). Only thing is I'm not sure if you can flash backwards, someone would have to test that. It's US only AFAIK and I wouldn't try it if you're not a techie just in case.

Also, to reiterate, whitepointer is in Australia with a version that has this feature enabled from factory and he's having the same problem with drives not formatting. He got confirmation from LG AUS that they are aware of some sort of problem with these TV's and USB hard drives. They expect a fix within a couple weeks.
post #280 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 09:59 PM

[quote=bigscreentv;20701023]what firmware version were you using when you first activated the dvr function?
post #281 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi - tried the dvr hack with a 55LW5600, w/version 04.00.14 (US); had the same problem ("Initialization failed contact customer service") encountered by spooni, H_Y_L & others. Win7 admin tools show that the raw drive (I did a low-level reformat prior) did get repartitioned... any chance that one of the luckier souls hereabout could post compressed partition images (clonezilla might do the trick) from a successful pass? Might be able to build a working drive using gparted

Thnx
post #282 of 818 Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post

Hi - tried the dvr hack with a 55LW5600, w/version 04.00.14 (US); had the same problem ("Initialization failed contact customer service") encountered by spooni, H_Y_L & others. Win7 admin tools show that the raw drive (I did a low-level reformat prior) did get repartitioned... any chance that one of the luckier souls hereabout could post compressed partition images (clonezilla might do the trick) from a successful pass? Might be able to build a working drive using gparted

Thnx

Ooh good idea, I'll clone mine and post it in a few.
post #283 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know enough about clonezilla but somethings wrong. It keeps failing with partition errors. Something about sector 8204 missing.

It's going to give me a 300gb image but I'm making a full clone image with easeus and nothing on the drive but raw format from the tv. Hopefully it will zip up real small haha. Any ideas let me know.
post #284 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM

I got my tv on thursday and the first thing I did was turn on all the features in the ez menu. Then I connected to the network and upgraded the firmware to the latest 3.11.4

Disconnected everything and reconnected and now the dvd works fine via component.

DVR is not that useful for me, as it only records ota hd and it has to be the one I'm watching it seems (it's my only digital source, can't record analog cable). My first attempt to record ota while the tv was off failed. Not sure if it was because I turned my harddrive off (it glows in standby mode, so like to have it off), was thinking it might turn it on automatically. Will try again tonight. The recorded digital shows look great though.

Viewing analog cable tv is ok, not any worse than my last 60inch projection, but wish there was an easier way than having to switch back and forth between cable and ota via a/b switcher, my 8 year old tv had 2 rf type connectors. I know the solution is to upgrade to digital cable, but not wanting to do that just yet. Using THX brightview setting for most of my viewing, looks a tad yellow to start, but after 5minutes looks great.
post #285 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM

Well, I tried loading the older version of the software and it does not work. It says I have the newer version of the software so upgrade is not needed. Does not even give me an option to change the version of the software to the older. In desperation, I even tried initializing my tv by using the Initial Setting on the Option menu section hoping it would reset to the factory settings and older software version. I recommend not doing this. It does reset everything on the tv as was delivered to me in April except the software update version. The software version stayed as 04.00.14. It took me over an hour just to reset everything back on my tv as I have tweaked it over the months and I think I still haven't gotten back to the way I like.
post #286 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Y_L View Post

Well, I tried loading the older version of the software and it does not work. It says I have the newer version of the software so upgrade is not needed. Does not even give me an option to change the version of the software to the older. In desperation, I even tried initializing my tv by using the Initial Setting on the Option menu section hoping it would reset to the factory settings and older software version. I recommend not doing this. It does reset everything on the tv as was delivered to me in April except the software update version. The software version stayed as 04.00.14. It took me over an hour just to reset everything back on my tv as I have tweaked it over the months and I think I still haven't gotten back to the way I like.

Ok I tested and got more details.

With the firmware file in the LG_DTV folder on your usb stick plug it in. Tv should pop up the screen saying older version found. Exit that screen and go into the HOME screen, then Setup. In the setup menu highlight Option (briefcase with wrench) but don't click. Then press the FAV button on the remote 7 times. A new screen comes up with firmware update options and you can flash older versions from there.
post #287 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The owner's manual (page 113) warns of image retention of static images for periods of 2 hours or more for LCD TVs. (it's not covered by the warranty) This includes letter or pillar boxed content. This is not good if you plan on watching a cinemascope movie like Lawrence of Arabia and is well in excess of two hours long. Has anyone experienced this?

post #288 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 05:20 PM

I'm having severe buffering with 7+ GB 1080p MKV's and even some 720p ones. I've tried Plex, Windows 7 DLNA and Nero Mediahome DLNA and Plex by far works the best but it still buffers most HD video while I'm watching it every now and then. I use wifi to get the files off of a desktop (plenty of power in the desktop that's not the issue) and from what I understand a wireless LAN's bandwidth may not be enough to stream such high quality video without stuttering. I was just wondering from you guys, if you had the same problem because I have asked others either on this forum or on another and some have said they had no trouble with wireless streaming 1080p MKVs. Perhaps the MKVs that work are less in file size.

On the other hand, YouTube 1080p looks great and streams perfectly.

Another question I had - what version of USB does this TV have? Will I see any improvement with USB 3.0 external harddrives over 2.0? I only ask because I may go with a harddrive to watch MKV's instead of wireless over plex to see if the buffering goes away.

Apparently in non-LG versions of Plex you can set your own cache time, or buffer time but there are no advanced preferences to change in "MediaLink" LG version of Plex. Too bad, it might have helped.

Other than that, the YouTube app sucks! I can't even go to a channel's page, even on the Plex YouTube plugin. Sometimes YouTube channels have live streams, anyone know if I can watch them on this TV?

I just got the TV today... it's decent so far, no flashlighting or edge-bleeding but the fact that I can't stream my high quality Blu-Ray rips over wifi is ticking me off.
post #289 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I gave up un wifi and grabbed a patch cord from my brother and connected it to the empty slot on my gigabit switch. It works fine for video, I'm have a problem with streaming music with PLEX or EyeConnect. All my music is AAC. I have very few iTunes purchases. (Those I know won't stream)

post #290 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

FYI the usb hard drive I was using to test the dvr function was borrowed. The tv does time machine just fine with usb powered drives. I bought a usb powered and wall powered just in case and glad to say usb powered worked right off the bat. Back to the store with the wall powered one.
post #291 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Oh also another thing, you can ff and rw in Media Link but you have to use the arrow key instead of the ff/rewind keys and it's more of a skip forward skip backwards thing.
post #292 of 818 Old 07-16-2011, 11:19 PM

I have the 55LW9500 screen and had the same failure to initialize drive problem with a brand new 500GB seagate drive after updating to the latest firmware 04.01.08.01.
Tried a raw formatted drive, NTFS, even FAT32 as suggested here - no luck.

In the end, only option for me was to go back to retail shop and format with their display model and plug in again at home already initialized. Worked fine for me.
post #293 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Does on LG 42LV5500 works www/vimeo.com? Can someone try plz and report.

Coz i read somewhere that web browser support only Flash 8 and dont support Flash 10 or HTML 5.
post #294 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 02:24 PM

[quote=arkasi55;20704622]

[I have the 55LW9500 screen and had the same failure to initialize drive problem with a brand new 500GB seagate drive after updating to the latest firmware 04.01.08.01.
Tried a raw formatted drive, NTFS, even FAT32 as suggested here - no luck.

In the end, only option for me was to go back to retail shop and format with their display model and plug in again at home already initialized. Worked fine for me.]

Just switch to the older software version as crkpot has provided and shown how to. I am now able to format USB drive and using the DVR functions. Thanks crkpot.
post #295 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 02:52 PM

Just switch to the older software version as crkpot has provided and shown how to. I am now able to format USB drive and using the DVR functions. Thanks crkpot.[/quote]

This is awesome. I have yet try it. It confirms that the firmware is the issue. For all new owners. If you wish to use DVR function, please activate the dvr before connecting your tv to the network and update the version. For those of us who missed that, Crkpot found the solution on how we go back to the old version and do it.
post #296 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 09:11 PM

Hi guys,

I bought one of these tvs a couple of months ago but only just discovered the dvr functions. Very impressed!
I plugged an old (bus powered) usb hdd in and it works great - quick question though:

Can you record a program thats not on a channel you're watching?

I'm on software version 03.05.18

Cheers,
-tom
post #297 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 10:03 PM

Does this TV have USB 2.0 or 3.0?

I wanted to watch large HD MKV files and the wireless wasn't cutting it. I'm wondering if USB will...
post #298 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

The owner's manual (page 113) warns of image retention of static images for periods of 2 hours or more for LCD TVs. (it's not covered by the warranty) This includes letter or pillar boxed content. This is not good if you plan on watching a cinemascope movie like Lawrence of Arabia and is well in excess of two hours long. Has anyone experienced this?

You can research LCD Burn-in on the net, there's lots of info available but it's not going to happen from a few hours of black bars or even days. It would take very very bad viewing habits to cause this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankucon View Post

I'm having severe buffering with 7+ GB 1080p MKV's and even some 720p ones.
Another question I had - what version of USB does this TV have? Will I see any improvement with USB 3.0 external harddrives over 2.0?
I just got the TV today... it's decent so far, no flashlighting or edge-bleeding but the fact that I can't stream my high quality Blu-Ray rips over wifi is ticking me off.

I had stuttering and slow response times on wifi also and gave up after a day or 2. I run wire for a living so wiring cat5 wasn't a problem, but fyi it solved all the latency problems. If you have doubt and stringing a long cat5 line from your router to your tv even if just across the floor as a test is possible, you'll get your answer.

USB is 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundaboutmusic View Post

Hi guys,
Can you record a program thats not on a channel you're watching?

No, there's only 1 tuner in the tv. You will get a warning message if you try to change channels while recording.
post #299 of 818 Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscreentv View Post

DVR is not that useful for me, as it only records ota hd and it has to be the one I'm watching it seems (it's my only digital source, can't record analog cable).

I read your first sentence before in passing and assumed your setup was different. But today I tried to pause/rewind on an analog channel and I think you're right. The tv doesn't seem to record analog broadcasts for some reason. I try my best to watch everything in HD and it dawned on me that all of my testing with the dvr function was on HD channels. The dvr screen even shows remaining disk space for HD and SD recordings but maybe the SD recordings have to be digital. Bummer. Has anyone else confirmed this??

Quote:

My first attempt to record ota while the tv was off failed. Not sure if it was because I turned my harddrive off (it glows in standby mode, so like to have it off), was thinking it might turn it on automatically. Will try again tonight. The recorded digital shows look great though.

I think it's because you turned the drive off. If there's nothing scheduled to record and you turn off you tv, the hard drive should power all the way down by the request of the tv. It powers back up when you turn the tv back on. I had to put black tape of the light on my drive though, even with the tv on it was flashlighting the ceiling from behind the tv.

Quote:

Viewing analog cable tv is ok, not any worse than my last 60inch projection, but wish there was an easier way than having to switch back and forth between cable and ota via a/b switcher, my 8 year old tv had 2 rf type connectors. I know the solution is to upgrade to digital cable, but not wanting to do that just yet. Using THX brightview setting for most of my viewing, looks a tad yellow to start, but after 5minutes looks great.

With OTA all being digital now and your cable being analog still i don't see why you can't take a regular cable splitter and turn it backwards with antenna on one port, catv on the other, then the singe side line to the tv tuner. That will combine the frequencies and then the auto channel scan on the tv will sort them out between antenna and cable.
I was using THX Brightroom until I found the calibrated settings (posted a few pages back in this thread) and am REALLY happy with them. I can tell there's still a few minor tweaks that would make it perfect for my set, but I can't figure out exactly what those would be.
post #300 of 818 Old 07-18-2011, 06:48 AM

Crkpot,

Thanks for the help.
My streaming is set up such that my wifi desktop streams to my TV wirelessly through the router. So if I attached the router to the TV with cat5, the computer to router connection is still wireless and the bottleneck of wireless is still there right? I have ATT Uverse and their router is 802.11g, I will try and bridge an 802.11n router tonight and see if I can eliminate the buffering on my HD streams by using an N router instead of a G. In theory I should go from 54mbps internal network speeds to upwards of 150mbps.

Both my computer and TV have N wifi adapters. Is there a way for me to use Plex without a router. In other words, just have the TV-desktop communication be direct? That would eliminate my bottleneck...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page