2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2011, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Do you watch letterbox movies in a dark room on this tv and have no clouding/ flash-lighting in the corners at all?

I do watch letter box, in the dark and very dark sceens and scenes. I have never experienced any flashlighting or any issues. I find the screen to be very dark and no light banding issues at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatliner View Post

Well, I'm still concerned that most people that are not complaining about clouding/ flash-lighting on the LG edge lit displays are either not watching letter box movies in a dark room OR are simply not picky about it. Over at the LG xx5600 thread (I believe the tv is very similar to the 5500), some people are also complaining about the issue for instance. Even the review at Hometheatre for the 5600 mentions the issue:
"The monkey wrench in the gears is the set’s nonuniform back—or rather edge—lighting. It’s visible as patchy areas of lighter gray, most obvious near the sides and corners of the screen."
From here:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/l...cd-hdtv-page-3
The review goes on to call out the issue specifically with letterbox material.

So, at this point, I'm afraid even if I get a set that is a little better than what I have, it will still be bad enough that I will not be able to enjoy watching letterbox movies at night without obvious clouding issues. I'm not sure I could push my luck to do a second exchange. They may say it's just the nature of the tv and edge lighting.

Do you watch letterbox movies in a dark room on this tv and have no clouding/ flash-lighting in the corners at all?

On an all dark screen with no local dimming then I fully agree with the review, what should be uniform black is more of a blotchy dark grayish-purplish color. But it's the same across the whole screen, not more pronounced around the edges and local dimming fixes that. My viewing habits with this tv are 99.9% in a dark room because it's my bedroom tv. But when watching letterbox or 4:3 tv it's unnoticeable to me, even if I watch the edges to see it, it's very hard to see.
What you have is flashlighting that extends even beyond the dark area in to the picture and that's not good. You got a bad sample, I guarantee you would be seeing more complaints if that was the norm.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Y_L View Post

I do watch letter box, in the dark and very dark sceens and scenes. I have never experienced any flashlighting or any issues. I find the screen to be very dark and no light banding issues at all.

Well, perhaps I will try another one then as I really like everything else about the tv (except the lack of DTS for HD playback of ripped movies which I can work around).
Old 07-25-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

On an all dark screen with no local dimming then I fully agree with the review, what should be uniform black is more of a blotchy dark grayish-purplish color. But it's the same across the whole screen, not more pronounced around the edges and local dimming fixes that. My viewing habits with this tv are 99.9% in a dark room because it's my bedroom tv. But when watching letterbox or 4:3 tv it's unnoticeable to me, even if I watch the edges to see it, it's very hard to see.
What you have is flashlighting that extends even beyond the dark area in to the picture and that's not good. You got a bad sample, I guarantee you would be seeing more complaints if that was the norm.

Thanks for the reassurance. If that's the case, I will try another one.

Are both you and H_Y_L using the 55 inch version?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 PM

1. Was anyone else asked to confirm a new terms of service?

2. Can this attach to a wireless network that isn't broadcasting?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
For those interested in rolling back to the previous firmware:
From the PLEX users forum
Quote:

Dedicated Member

Group:LG Employee
Posted Yesterday, 07:59 AM
This is a problem they we have been working on. Elan has been talking to the programmers about it. It is an issue with Windows networking they are trying to find a work-around for.

I run a DLNA server on the same box as PMS and it seems to help. I still occasionally can't see it. But...it always works when I have my Macbook runnning (with PMS on it also)...which is a similar work-around you found.

You can roll-back the TV software to the previous version, but in this case I don't know if would help.

To roll back to the previous firmware...

Press Home
Choose Setup
Highlight the Option Menu...The tool kit icon should be highlighted
Press the 9 button 6 times
It will automatically rollback and reboot.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:

I watch letterbox movies in a VERY dark room (infact we just sewed room blackout material to the back of the curtains yesterday) and have zero flashlighting effect - and I am very picky so if there was even a hint of it - it would have gone back.

I have the LV5400 btw. pretty much identical just the Canadian version.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnski View Post
I watch letterbox movies in a VERY dark room (infact we just sewed room blackout material to the back of the curtains yesterday) and have zero flashlighting effect - and I am very picky so if there was even a hint of it - it would have gone back.

I have the LV5400 btw. pretty much identical just the Canadian version.
Thanks for the feedback. Is yours a 55" version? I'm just wondering if everyone that has chimed in are using smaller versions as the problem would likely show up more on larger screens.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Anyone try the firmware roll back?
Quote:

To roll back to the previous firmware...

Press Home
Choose Setup
Highlight the Option Menu...The tool kit icon should be highlighted
Press the 9 button 6 times
It will automatically rollback and reboot.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Anyone know the changes in the new firmware 4.00.18
Old 07-27-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeshy View Post

Anyone know the changes in the new firmware 4.00.18

USA 04.00.18 update.

- Network Connection Fail after downloading the June NSU.
- Browser locks-up when reloading some websites.
- When playing some support media from a URL, Play error happens.
- Update to LG app store account verification.
- Some MP4 videos don't download/play.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

USA 04.00.18 update.

- Network Connection Fail after downloading the June NSU.
- Browser locks-up when reloading some websites.
- When playing some support media from a URL, Play error happens.
- Update to LG app store account verification.
- Some MP4 videos don't download/play.

still no DTS support?
Old 07-28-2011, 05:32 AM

No m4a(AKA AAC) support.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Is yours a 55" version? I'm just wondering if everyone that has chimed in are using smaller versions as the problem would likely show up more on larger screens.
nope, 55"

Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM

I am a new owner of the LV5500 eagerly awaiting delivery from NewEgg. While I've taken some time to read through this forum, it would be a wonderful tool if someone knowledgeable could take the time to create a wiki about the TV. Include information about accessing the EZMenu, setting up the DVR, rolling back the FW, etc.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

I just got the 4.00.18 update today too.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Im a new owner of the 42LV5500..Im very much impressed with the quality of the TV.I updated the firmware to 4.0.18 immediately after the TV was delivered in the beginning of the week.Im having problems with the picture settings.At nights the picture is dark.can someone post the good calibration settings for both day and night?and also the network connectivity loses every now and then with the mediaplex. It buffers at times when streaming videos from the network.....These are the slight issues as of now ...
The TV is great in all aspects so far....
Old 07-28-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujili View Post

Im a new owner of the 42LV5500..Im very much impressed with the quality of the TV.I updated the firmware to 4.0.18 immediately after the TV was delivered in the beginning of the week.Im having problems with the picture settings.At nights the picture is dark.can someone post the good calibration settings for both day and night?and also the network connectivity loses every now and then with the mediaplex. It buffers at times when streaming videos from the network.....These are the slight issues as of now ...
The TV is great in all aspects so far....

The buffering could be an issue with your home network. What type of router are you using? How are the TV and the device running PMS connected to the network?

There is currently an issue with Plex software (on the Plex side) they are trying to fix this.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnski View Post

nope, 55"

Hey Burnski,

That's a nice looking set up you have there. Congrats! Question for you:
How did you hide the power cable? I went and bought a recessed plug and installed a new power jack high onto the wall - guess what... The stupid LG plug is still too long and it pushes out my TV an extra half an inch still.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kow613 View Post

The buffering could be an issue with your home network. What type of router are you using? How are the TV and the device running PMS connected to the network?

There is currently an issue with Plex software (on the Plex side) they are trying to fix this.

Running through the netgear .The TV is connected thru Ethernet from the router and my PC is thru wireless.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlguapo View Post

Hey Burnski,

That's a nice looking set up you have there. Congrats! Question for you:
How did you hide the power cable? I went and bought a recessed plug and installed a new power jack high onto the wall - guess what... The stupid LG plug is still too long and it pushes out my TV an extra half an inch still.

I found a really deep outlet at Home Depot that was made by Leviton and was made for wall clocks.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM

I apologize in advance for the total ignorance of my post. I bought the 55" LV5500 about 2 weeks ago when fry's had it on sale for under $1,000. I'm moving at the end of next month and my building charges $100 to move anything in or out, so the tv is 1/3 of the way through a 6 week vacation at my friend's place.

I have only had limited opportunity to play with the TV and have overall been very happy with the image. I did run into an issue watching Dark Knight (dvd, not blu-ray) which I'm hoping can be resolved with some of the changes to settings I've seen on this forum (I think it might be a TruMotion issue). In the scene where Bruce and Alfred are in the secret hideout under a shipping container, the two actors looked incredibly lifelike (it felt like they were in the room with us), but the background looked kind of fake, almost green-screeny.

My friend hasn't messed with the settings at all (since it is my tv), but has decided that this would be a dealbreaker if he had purchased the TV. (He has also been annoyed by the dimming effect based on ambient light as it kept switching back and forth at sunset, but I've already decided this setting is getting switched off for me). Is this the "soap opera" effect mentioned elsewhere and can it be avoided with proper setting adjustment, or something I need to be prepared to live with if I'm going to keep the tv past the return deadline?

Thanks for the advice.

Chris
Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 AM

Hi

I was wondering if anybody knows where to get one of the "cheap" universal remotes in order to get to the EZ menu. It seems that, other than the expensive Harmony remotes, all the cheap ones are discontinued. I tried to order one of the RCA remotes from Amazon but the one that came in was a different model (newer version) and they didn't have anymore of the old version. Radioshack doesn't carry the URC models listed on the list anymore either (tried to go to a few stores). Anyone?

PS.. I tried the Harmony 300 remote ($30) but that didn't work as you go to a different website than the one specified in the LG hack instructions.

Thanks
Old 07-30-2011, 08:22 AM

Old 07-30-2011, 12:02 PM

I just recently bought this TV and my first impressions are really positive. The picture is incredible and the TV is razor thin.

The sound leaves something to be desired, but that's to be expected.

I did notice some pretty heavy lag during gamplay with an Xbox 360, but switching the picture to "Game Mode" solved that problem.

I think the MediaLink feature is great, but it looks like I need to hardwire the TV in order to stream some of my bigger 1080P movie rips to avoid buffering.

I haven't really experimented with the apps yet, but the Netflix App works great.

I haven't really looked through the settings, but is there a way to shut off the "soap-opera" effect?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice2122 View Post

I just recently bought this TV and my first impressions are really positive. The picture is incredible and the TV is razor thin.

The sound leaves something to be desired, but that's to be expected.

I did notice some pretty heavy lag during gamplay with an Xbox 360, but switching the picture to "Game Mode" solved that problem.

I think the MediaLink feature is great, but it looks like I need to hardwire the TV in order to stream some of my bigger 1080P movie rips to avoid buffering.

I haven't really experimented with the apps yet, but the Netflix App works great.

I haven't really looked through the settings, but is there a way to shut off the "soap-opera" effect?

Turn "Trumotion" off

Old 08-01-2011, 10:50 AM

Ahh, that was a simple fix. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:59 PM

I tried turning off TruMotion setting and was very happy with the picture post-adjustment.

This question is a little more general as I've never wall-mounted before, but per the website it looks like this TV supports a 400x400 wall mount configuration. There are a lot of options at a lot of price points for wall mounts. Has anyone had any positive (or negative) experience with any specific models? (I have the 55" if that makes a difference).
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 AM

Has anyone tried the "3D menu" (in "EZ ADJUST") to turn on? This works?
Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 PM

Anyone tried to use a wireless headphone (analog input) with this TV, 55LV5500? I know I need to get a new digital wireless headphone with optical input but for now I am trying a cheaper route, my existing analog wireless headphone.

1. First, I use a 3.5mm to RCA cable with the 3.5mm head plug in the Tv's headphone jack and the RCA to my headphone's stransmitter RCA input. Turn off the TV's surround. It didn't work.

2. Tried a RK-G136 cable (3.5mm male/male). Plugged one end to the tv's headphone jack and the other to the headphone's stransmitter "Line in" 3.5 jack. Turn off the surround sound. It didn't work.

I know the TV's phonejack works because it works with a wired headphone. And the wireless headphone works because it works with my other TV which has an analog (RCA) fix output jacks.

I am thinking because the LG's phonejack is a high signal (amplified) and my wireless headphone requires low input signal. But the headphone's manual shows it should work.

If I decide to use the TV's optical output instead of the headphone jack for my analog wireless headphone, I need to buy a DAC. The cheaper one that only works with stereo signal, not 5.1. My question is, can I turn off the TV's 5.1 output and just use stereo (PCM).

It's strange that this TV has the headphone jack in the back of the tv. So if you don't want to use the headphone, you have to unplug it from the back, not convenience with a low profile wall mount on a daily basis.

Your advice is appreciated.