2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 818 Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys.. brand spankin' new to the site.. just picked up a 47LV5500 and loving it for the most part. I've had a few minor issues.. such as the box not coming with the hardware to attach the tv to the base.. but amazon fixed that with a $50 refund and I found the hardware at a local shop costing a few bucks (tv ended up costing me about $775) so I can live with that.

A bigger issue that I dealt with last night was that my controller and the tv were acting a bit wonky.. if I pressed the volume button.. it would act as if I were holding it down and it would send the volume all the way up or down.. and the white light on the bottom right of the tv would blink rapidly. I ended up using the magic remote which worked fine.. and this morning everything is working fine again. I have another 3 weeks to decide whether to return the tv or not.. any one else experience this? I'm contemplating exchanging the tv while I can. I should mention.. the issue wasnt the remote because I have an assigned universal cox cable remote and the issue was replicated with that remote as well.. but not with the magic remote. Weird.

I've got my pc connected via RGB-PC (VGA cable) and I'm getting a good amount of what I assume would be called ghosting. I'm heavily considering picking up a video card w/ HDMI out but I figured I'd ask If it's common or not for this to occur w/ a generic VGA cable or if the issue could be the RGB-PC input on the back of my tv. I'd test out another cable.. but I dont have one.

And lastly.. I've been using a portable usb hdd w/ mkv files to play 1080's and I've gotten past the DTS audio issue by encoding my sound to AC3.. but I'm having an issue with softcoded subtitles playing and I dont seem to see an option on how to turn them off. Anyone know of a way to turn off/on subtitles in usb playback? Otherwise I guess I'm gonna have to find a way to remove them from the file on my computer.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 818 Old 08-29-2011, 01:57 PM

Dang. Cool. This thread is pretty much dead. I guess that's a good thing. Nobody whining about the TV. Heh. Mine's working great so far. No issues at all.
-joe-

- Uh Huh, Geek pr0n! -
post #453 of 818 Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
From the PLEX forum. A post from Nick (LG Training)
Quote:

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

Group:LG Employee
Posted Today, 12:45 PM
timjonesjr, on Today, 07:42 AM, said:
Right now I have a cable box, blu ray and xbox directly going to the TV via HDMI for the picture and optical from each going to my receiver for the sound. I'm using an optical out of the tv to the receiver for sound for media link, but it's a pain because I have to change the imput on the receiver when I use it.

With this new update, will the tv passthrough dts/5.1 from the cable box, bluray and xbox? That way I can just leave the receiver on one input.

The TV is currently capable of this, but requires an option in the service menu to be changed. LG will do it for free (As long as you are in a service area). Or I can tell you how...if you know how to get into the service menu.

post #454 of 818 Old 08-31-2011, 10:32 AM

For those who want DTS/DD 5.1 passthrough:
Quote:
If you you can get into the EZ Adjust menu it is simple to change this setting.

You can get to the EZ Adjust menu with the ADJ button on the service remote. Although some of you are just downloading the code to your harmony.

Just go to the AC3 EDID option, right arrow, and choose start. Wait for it to say ok. Then turn the TV off and back on.

Some devices are still having DTS issues with this activated. I'm talking to factory about it.
It does not pass DTS from my HD-A2, but it is passing DD 5.1 from my HR20-700 and that good enough to have all my devices connect to my RX-V361!

post #455 of 818 Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM

I'm hoping someone who has more experience than me can help me out.I just purchased the 42lv5500 last week and so far I love the picture quality.The problem is that I actually like having the tru motion setting on when I watch, but I had an episode of NCIS Los Angeles on last night and when the actors ran through the woods the looked blurry and pixelated.Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I just stuck with the blurring?
Thanks in advance for any replies
post #456 of 818 Old 09-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Actually I am one of the few that probably likes to watch with the tru-motion turned on also. I have my settings set at eight. I think tru-motion makes the non-HD channels look more like HD and I also like the way the HD sporting picture quality looks with tru-motion. To me the pictures looks sharper.

cakendall, you can play around with noise reduction and picture sharpness settings those might help a little, but some HD channels and a few SD channels will look bad no matter what you do if tru-motion is turned on. But I find I like watching most of the channels with tru-motion on. I mainly watch HD sports and off the air free tv channel in SD in my area. When I watch Lord of the Rings or Avatar with and without tru-motion on I find the picture to be much more stunning with tru-motion on. Wish you luck cakendall.
post #457 of 818 Old 09-01-2011, 06:06 PM

H_Y_L I agree.The picture on this set is incredible and that tru motion just makes everything stand out.I contacted LG and they said about all you can do is turn off the tru motion for some programs.I guess there are trade offs we have to make sometimes.Thanks alot for the tips and happy watching!!
post #458 of 818 Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Excuse me but what does this "I have my settings set at eight." mean ?

Thanks
post #459 of 818 Old 09-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayax View Post

Excuse me but what does this "I have my settings set at eight." mean ?

Thanks

When you turn on tru-motion you can set it as low, medium or high and then there is user. I believe on the high the two settings are at 7. If you go into user setting you can manually chose the settings. The max can be set to 10. Sorry but I can't remember what the two settings are called. One of them is de-blur or something. Anyway, when I stated I set mine at eight I used the user setting and manually set it at 8.
post #460 of 818 Old 09-02-2011, 01:56 PM

de-blur and de-judder

post #461 of 818 Old 09-03-2011, 07:37 AM

I picked up one of these models a couple of weeks ago, and I've been having the strangest occasional problem. At random times, the TV will turn itself on, display the LG logo screen with the clock...then turn itself off again. This repeats indefinitely, though as I type this it's doing it right now and I'm timing how long it will go.

Typically I can stop this cycle by unplugging it, waiting a few seconds, then plugging it back in. One time as my wife and I were trying to watch something I was convinced it was a remote sending a rogue signal so I pulled the batteries from all the remotes to no avail.

So I'm totally mystified by this. Has anyone else seen a problem like this with their LV5500, or any other TV? I'm running the latest firmware and connected via wifi, if that matters, but I'm about to go disable networking to see if that changes anything.
post #462 of 818 Old 09-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Y_L View Post

When you turn on tru-motion you can set it as low, medium or high and then there is user. I believe on the high the two settings are at 7. If you go into user setting you can manually chose the settings. The max can be set to 10. Sorry but I can't remember what the two settings are called. One of them is de-blur or something. Anyway, when I stated I set mine at eight I used the user setting and manually set it at 8.

Thank you for an explanation and great tip!!! I found De-Judder 8, De-Blur 3 best for almost all SD channels.
post #463 of 818 Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM

AGSHender, I believe that your TV is bad. Mine has never done anything remotely like that. If I were you, I'd return/exchange it.
-joe-

- Uh Huh, Geek pr0n! -
post #464 of 818 Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Hey guys....lifelong Samsung guy but I picked up the 47 inch 5500 and it seems pretty good so far. I miss my glossy screen but the one thing that has really blown me away is the wireless media box. That was the main feature that pushed me to this set and I have to say I am not disappointed. I was able to move my tv out on the patio for the football game without unplugging anything other than the tv and the picture looked fantastic. Being able to move this set to my garage and my patio without moving my directv boxes is such a huge asset.

I did not see much chatter in this thread about the wireless media box so I just wanted to throw it in here that it is a great bonus.
post #465 of 818 Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

LED lit sets have a 100,000 hour life span, plasma/CCFL LCD sets are 20,000 hours.

I love both my Panasonic plasma and my LG LED LCD, so let's not resort to outright balderdash when comparing one to the other - Not sure where the 20,000 number came from, but it ain't reality. All current technologies are averaging between 60,000 - 80,000 hours brightness halflife.

That's over 20 years at 8-10 hours per day. So it's kind of a moot point. Let's focus on why the LG is a great TV - pound for pound, has a lot of bells and whistles for the money, not to mention an entirely acceptable picture.
post #466 of 818 Old 09-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Oh god, there goes the thread. Possible troll.
-joe-

- Uh Huh, Geek pr0n! -
post #467 of 818 Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Has anyone found a way into the service menu with just the supplied remote? Does anyone know if this set has DTS capabilities and it is just disabled.?(I read somewhere where people were enabling dts on lg products).
post #468 of 818 Old 09-14-2011, 02:09 PM

You need a Harmony or other programmable remote (or a hacked PSP) to get to the EZ menu. http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.ph..._menus_/_modes
At the present time, the LV5500's have DD 5.1 but not DTS passthrough. (I have my HR20-700 connected via HDMI.) I did the easy connect for HDMI on my PS3 and it reports DD 5.1 and PCM as supported formats for my 47LV5500, so that is connected via toslink, as is my HD-A2(DTS only)

post #469 of 818 Old 09-14-2011, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think this set has gone the way of the panel lottery. I just got one and it has DLHR for the last 4 letters of the product code. Pixels don't look like IPS pixels.

I am going to have to start looking for defects.
post #470 of 818 Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

Sure, you can download the newest firmware from here. Instructions and download are under Drivers and Software. I'm not sure about going backwards.

I'm not 100% on your second question, are you asking what model laptop would stream video to the tv best?? If you plan to use the laptop to playback 1920x1080 video then you'll want a model that does graphics hardware acceleration. Anything with a newer nvidia, ati or intel i-series cpu/chipset will do that. Then you can just connect to the tv with an hdmi cable and be set. If you want to stream the same type of video to the tv over network with Plex then you'll need a cpu strong enough to transcode and I would think a laptop with at least an i5 would be required.

figured I would help with a link I received from LG chat support.

http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index....&CategoryID=14

Looks like 4.00.22 is the latest. Any known issues so far with it? Bought my TV last night and watched Bluray megamind. Can't wait to watch Avatar. Huge upgrade from my 55" HP MD5800 which finally decided to take a dump a few weeks back and posterize everything on the display.

When I get home I'll look at my product code to see what I have. Not sure what panel I have.

LG55LV5500
Sony Onkyo SR503 Receiver
Athena AS-B1/C1 Front/Center/Rear
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #471 of 818 Old 09-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_SnDvl View Post
I think this set has gone the way of the panel lottery. I just got one and it has DLHR for the last 4 letters of the product code. Pixels don't look like IPS pixels.

I am going to have to start looking for defects.
I looked at the pic I have of the code from my box. 47LV5500-UA.AUSYLJR YLJR are the last four letters of the box id as well. I bought in July.

post #472 of 818 Old 09-15-2011, 02:55 PM

Mine, with the non IPS panel, was made in August.
post #473 of 818 Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Crkpot or any others who have turned on the DVR functionality. How much HD space is used per 1 hour of recording?

LG55LV5500
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #474 of 818 Old 09-16-2011, 05:41 PM

my model # is UA.UASYLUR

LG55LV5500
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #475 of 818 Old 09-16-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabenn View Post

figured I would help with a link I received from LG chat support.

http://lgknowledgebase.com/kb/index....&CategoryID=14

Looks like 4.00.22 is the latest. Any known issues so far with it? Bought my TV last night and watched Bluray megamind. Can't wait to watch Avatar. Huge upgrade from my 55" HP MD5800 which finally decided to take a dump a few weeks back and posterize everything on the display.

When I get home I'll look at my product code to see what I have. Not sure what panel I have.

4.00.18 is what mine is on. Software update reports there is no newer firmware

post #476 of 818 Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Liked: 46
Thinking about picking up the 55LV5400 from Bestbuy. Can anyone tell me if these have an IPS panel like the 5500 ? I'd like to go to the store prepared to find one with the AUS markings.
post #477 of 818 Old 09-18-2011, 01:34 AM

Liked: 11
You should try Sears. I bought mine
a week ago for $200. cheaper than
Best Buy.
post #478 of 818 Old 09-18-2011, 10:32 AM

I've put the same message on LW5600 thread because I really do not know what model corresponds to Spanish LW5500:
Quote:

Hi, I was nearly going to buy this LED 3D TV model (32LW550o), I even went to a mall to buy it, but one aspect it worried to me was input lag.

I'm continouly hearing & reading that LG has one of the worst input lags in LEd TVs.

One of my purposes was to use it with videogames: Xbox 360/PS3 through VGA/HDMI, Wii through components and PC Through HDmi.

I've seen people say that there are even 130ms in gaming mode, that's a bit insane.

are there any firmware updates that improved this issue?

The model i want to buy is LG 32LW5500 3d+smart apps at 669.

But other of my choices are:

Samsung UE32D5500 20ms input lag (smart tv no 3D) at 549 or Panasonic TXL 32E30 with 20ms input lag or even only 10ms input lag on gaming (Smart TV and no 3D) at 629.รง

what do you think my choice should be?

I was even going to buy this TV because of good features, a good panel, real 100hz, 3D, apps, cheap Wifi dongle (only 30 in spain), 7 glasses, but input lag is a handicap of buying it.

Has it been improved?

thanks! (Sorry about my english)
post #479 of 818 Old 09-19-2011, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post
Thinking about picking up the 55LV5400 from Bestbuy. Can anyone tell me if these have an IPS panel like the 5500 ? I'd like to go to the store prepared to find one with the AUS markings.
My 47 inch from best buy purchased a few weeks ago was AUS (IPS). I thought the price was competitive with the free media box they are including right now. I ordered a 42 as well online and it was also AUS/IPS. My directv box outputs on multiple connections so it is pretty cool to have two rooms running from one satellite box. Granted, they have to be on the same channel but it is pretty handy on game days. I am running the game on the 47 in the living room and pushing to a 42 inch wirelessly in the garage at the same time. I am not able to tell any difference in picture quality between the two.
post #480 of 818 Old 09-19-2011, 05:08 PM

It is not the AUS that indicates that the panel is an IPS panel you need to look at the last 4 letters. The first of those should be a Y to indicate the panel is IPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

My 47 inch from best buy purchased a few weeks ago was AUS (IPS). I thought the price was competitive with the free media box they are including right now. I ordered a 42 as well online and it was also AUS/IPS. My directv box outputs on multiple connections so it is pretty cool to have two rooms running from one satellite box. Granted, they have to be on the same channel but it is pretty handy on game days. I am running the game on the 47 in the living room and pushing to a 42 inch wirelessly in the garage at the same time. I am not able to tell any difference in picture quality between the two.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page