2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 818 Old 09-24-2011, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmmm just after I posted I was happy with this set I noticed Best Buy has this version in stock for $728...

...If that is actually an IPS pannel and you guys are sure this one with the first letter starting with "D" is not maybe I should return this one back to Amazon???

Now ya got me thinking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 818 Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 PM

Edit: Disregard my now discarded comments about a Panasonic if you saw them in this space.

I was interested in televisioninfo.com's review of the LG 42LV5500, particularly as applies viewing angles.

Keep in mind their review was done in JULY, which almost guarantees they would have had an IPS panel.

Here's a snippet: "The LG 42LV5500 produced a decent viewing angle, for an LCD, though it still falls well short of what an average plasma TV can provide. Our tests showed that the TV lost a significant amount of contrast after 38 degrees from center on either side (making for a total viewing angle of 76 degrees).

Wow, really? 76 degrees with IPS? Does that sound right to you IPS-panel owners? It's a very in-depth review over there, so I'd have to take their results seriously.

Thoughts?
post #513 of 818 Old 09-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Ok I just got back from 3 different Best Buys and all 3 had the 42LV5500 with the AUSDLHR on the box (same as mine)

So as of now I am just sticking with mine unless I stumble across a different model number somewhere in the next week or two.
post #514 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand76 View Post

Ok I just got back from 3 different Best Buys and all 3 had the 42LV5500 with the AUSDLHR on the box (same as mine)

So as of now I am just sticking with mine unless I stumble across a different model number somewhere in the next week or two.

Your anecdotal comments in an earlier post about the viewing angle with this non-IPS panel seem to jibe with the televisioninfo.com review from July. Now I'm wondering if their test TV was non-IPS.

Anyway, I can live with 75 degrees on a non-IPS panel. For the most part, it will be my wife and I watching pretty much within 5-10 degrees tops from dead center. It's only when company comes that it might be an issue.

Pulling the trigger now with Amazon.
post #515 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Did the new firmware make any one else's Media Link stop working?
post #516 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozilla314 View Post

Does anyone know what the recent
update (04.01.30) added to the TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh76 View Post

twitter

Skype and FaceBook as well. You have to buy a special LG camera for Skype.

post #517 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Ya know this IPS thing is pissing me off. Plus when you have ocd it pisses you off even more.

First off I really do think the TV is great (even if I don't have an IPS panel) but thats not the point.

I just looked over some more material for the TV on LG's own website and if you follow and click this link:

http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/...G-42LV5500.jsp

And you click Specifications up top it clearly says (IPS - Advanced LED LCD Panel Yes) Now if my model is not an IPS model that is false advertisement.

I am waiting for a supervisor over at LG to call me back, if I don't get anywhere with them I am calling his boss at the corporate office tomorrow on Monday and raising hell. I want them to figure out a solution that does not inconvenience me.

BTW are we 100% sure that all the DLHR are non IPS panels? It's still hard for me to tell by looking and I just dont want to make an ass out of myself. lol
post #518 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:

Ya know this IPS thing is pissing me off. Plus when you have ocd it pisses you off even more.

First off I really do think the TV is great (even if I don't have an IPS panel) but thats not the point.

I just looked over some more material for the TV on LG's own website and if you follow and click this link:

http://www.lg.com/in/tv-audio-video/...G-42LV5500.jsp

And you click Specifications up top it clearly says (IPS - Advanced LED LCD Panel Yes) Now if my model is not an IPS model that is false advertisement.

I am waiting for a supervisor over at LG to call me back, if I don't get anywhere with them I am calling his boss at the corporate office tomorrow on Monday and raising hell. I want them to figure out a solution that does not inconvenience me.

BTW are we 100% sure that all the DLHR are non IPS panels? It's still hard for me to tell by looking and I just dont want to make an ass out of myself. lol

Are you in India? The US LG page does not say they are IPS panels, the Indian page does.

post #519 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 11:11 AM

THX media director was mentioned in an earlier post.
http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-tech...edia-director/

post #520 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Was that a link for LG in India? Haha

Just noticed that. Dont know how that happened when i just did a basic google search. Oh well there goes that argument. But I am still going to speak with them on the issue.
post #521 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Was that a link for LG in India? Haha

Just noticed that. Dont know how that happened when i just did a basic google search. Oh well there goes that argument. But I am still going to speak with them on the issue.

Just tell them to "Talk to the Hand!".
post #522 of 818 Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

Just tell them to "Talk to the Hand!".

Yes I will try that.

BTW this is just so stupid it's funny there is a blog on LG's site telling you the difference between VA and IPS...

http://whylgtv.lge.com/archives/3305

And this is the last line:

So when you go to buy your next TV, make sure you ask about the panel, and don't be afraid to knock on it and see what happens. Is it an IPS or VA? The winner is clear.

So I should ask what panel the TV has, yet LG themselves can not even tell you what panel the TV comes with.

I mean you can't make this stuff up.
post #523 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Yes I will try that.

BTW this is just so stupid it's funny there is a blog on LG's site telling you the difference between VA and IPS...

http://whylgtv.lge.com/archives/3305

And this is the last line:

So when you go to buy your next TV, make sure you ask about the panel, and don't be afraid to knock on it and see what happens. Is it an IPS or VA? The winner is clear.

So I should ask what panel the TV has, yet LG themselves can not even tell you what panel the TV comes with.

I mean you can't make this stuff up.

You know...that is very annoying to read. They don't come right out and say "At LG, we only use IPS", but they might as well.

But have you done a closeup with the pixels on your panel? Do you have a magnifying glass? I would think that you'd be able to see vertical vs. horizontal orientation. Plus, what about the finger-press test? Do you see any temporary residual change in the picture if you give a spot a press with your finger when the screen is on?

My panel is supposedly coming tomorrow via Amazon Prime. I'm going to just guess that it's most likely going to be one of those "D" panels since that seems to be what's out there -- we'll see.
post #524 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 09:27 AM

Called LG and they were no hope. May still try callignaround to a few other stores but after that thats it.
post #525 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Called LG and they were no hope. May still try callignaround to a few other stores but after that thats it.

After hearing of the LG panel lottery, I was thinking about getting a Panasonic LED that was cheaper and had an "IPS-Alpha" panel. The review site I visited, however, said that there was a huge trade-off with the wide-viewing angle of the IPS panel. They said that yes, you got much better horizontal viewing angles, but if you weren't positioned correctly VERTICALLY in front of the screen, you would lose a lot of contrast/color.

In other words, if you positioned it on a wall that was above your sight line, you'd be very disappointed, even by a few degrees! That scared me off from that. I don't know if that was an anomaly for that particular model or something inherent with IPS or IPS-Alpha panels. (Note: IPS-Alpha might be a brand name for IPS panels).

So, it's possible there's "no free lunch" where panels are concerned, meaning possible tradeoffs no matter what you get.

The panel was a TC-L42E30. Snippet of the review with the weird vertical IPS info:

Quote:

Here is where the testing for the Panasonic TC-L42E30 ran into some odd results. Because the Panasonic TC-L42E30 has a type of LCD screen that uses in-plane switching (IPS), the horizontal viewing angle is very wide for an LCD screen, but there are tradeoffs. Namely, the vertical viewing angle (how far away up and down from center you can view the TV) is quite poor, and you will notice a huge drop in contrast even 10 degrees above or below the center of the TV. This will frustrate Panasonic TC-L42E30 owners who elect to mount their screen on the wall to no end unless they are able to angle or level their screen to accommodate an extremely specific viewing height.

post #526 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Ok one more question I found a store in NYC (I live on Long Island about 45 minutes away)

They read me the code on the box and it said YLJR. So I guess the Y is good right? meaning IPS? BUT in the original post in this thread he said the code was YLUR. Is that the same or ok?
post #527 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Last week I bought a 47LK520 and was shocked to find this flaw which is detailed in the thread about that model:

"During playback, the movie/video will appear smooth. However, at seemingly random moments (mostly when there is not a lot of movement on the screen) the picture will slow down and stutter. It's a very obvious, unnatural and jarring effect. It's not a constant stutter, it's not a flicker. It's, as another poster said, very robotic. It will then go back to normal smoothness. It will consistently do this at random times though. Its very bizarre."

I am wondering if anyone has noticed this with the LV5500 series, as I am seriously considering returning the LK520 because of this flaw, but need an alternative that doesn't have the problem!
post #528 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Ok one more question I found a store in NYC (I live on Long Island about 45 minutes away)

They read me the code on the box and it said YLJR. So I guess the Y is good right? meaning IPS? BUT in the original post in this thread he said the code was YLUR. Is that the same or ok?

I took this from post #10 on Slickdeals:

Quote:

You are correct in the vast majority of cases. I have seen a few VA panels turn up in LG sets. This may happen if the manufacturer doesn't have enough panels to finish a production run. Since this deal is a store pick up, you can make absolutely sure you are getting an IPS panel by looking at the full model code sticker on the outside of the box.

To decode panel type for LG 2011 models, look at the fourth letter in the third group of characters:

47LV5500-UA.AUSYLJR
Y=IPS
D=VA

To decode panel type for LG 2010 models, look at the fourth letter in the second group of characters:

47LE5400-AUSWL
W=IPS
D=VA

Thanks robotopher for your input on the 2011 models.

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2944265

I bought this TV back in May, and confirmed the box code was AUSYLJR, which is indeed a IPS panel.
post #529 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hey guys new to this forum and just got the 42" version of this TV off Amazon about a week ago and overalll I am very happy.

But I think I have the same version as the poster (DC_SnDvl) above (DLHR) so my question is how do we know that the letter "D" means non IPS? There are several different model #'s floatign around (like Y, W, H) I also have a 22" IPS LG monitor (good but not TOP of the line) and the colors on the TV at about a 75 degree angle actually hold up better on the TV. In fact besides becoming just a little lighter the colors on the TV are mostly still true to form.

I don't know I am pretty happy with this set so I think I am going to stick with it.

If you got a good PVA panel I would seriously look at it closely and consider keeping it. At the most, get a TV that you know has IPS panel and set them up next to eachother to compare before sending the VA back to Amazon. I believe Samsung uses all VA for their panels so just because it's VA doesn't mean it's inferior. With LG outsourcing, it's possible even that LG bought some Samsung panels.
When I mentioned the bad VA panel I had in my first post, it was terrible in every way and you would spot it immediately. It had flashlighting on every corner and terrible off angle viewing. I couldn't actually believe it was a VA panel, it looked more like a TN panel that the cheap PC monitors use.
post #530 of 818 Old 09-26-2011, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

THX media director was mentioned in an earlier post.
http://www.thx.com/consumer/thx-tech...edia-director/

Nice find! I always wondered what that feature was.
post #531 of 818 Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by videojanitor View Post

Last week I bought a 47LK520 and was shocked to find this flaw which is detailed in the thread about that model:

"During playback, the movie/video will appear smooth. However, at seemingly random moments (mostly when there is not a lot of movement on the screen) the picture will slow down and stutter. It's a very obvious, unnatural and jarring effect. It's not a constant stutter, it's not a flicker. It's, as another poster said, very robotic. It will then go back to normal smoothness. It will consistently do this at random times though. Its very bizarre."

I am wondering if anyone has noticed this with the LV5500 series, as I am seriously considering returning the LK520 because of this flaw, but need an alternative that doesn't have the problem!

Interesting that you bring this up. I have noticed just this week that the espn scroller will randomly do this robotic "stutter" to the point it is unreadable, then resume being a smooth scroll. It seems completely random. I guess what I am saying is that I would guess this series has the same issue and I may consider returning it. I practically get a headache trying to read that scroller and as a big sports viewer this is actually important to me.
post #532 of 818 Old 09-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Interesting that you bring this up. I have noticed just this week that the espn scroller will randomly do this robotic "stutter" to the point it is unreadable, then resume being a smooth scroll. It seems completely random. I guess what I am saying is that I would guess this series has the same issue and I may consider returning it. I practically get a headache trying to read that scroller and as a big sports viewer this is actually important to me.

Unless you're bumping up against a return date deadline, why not just make them aware of the problem and see if a firmware update will fix it?
post #533 of 818 Old 09-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks crkpot and everyone else.

Ok what a day I just had. Not sure how many of you are familiar with Long Island, but woke up at 6AM drove to the middle of NYC with morning rush hour traffic, got there and parked at 8:45, store oppened at 9AM. Talked guy down from $879 to $799 for the 42LV5500 (made in April AUSY) had to walk that bad boy 1 city block to my car, and then had to drive with my face almost up against my windshield all the way home since the thing barely fit. LOL

Just boxed up and returned the old TV to Amazon through UPS and I am SPENT!

BTW I only got to test the new TV for like 10 minutes and could tell the difference with the viewing angles being better on this one. Also the old TV (with VA panel did have some black light bleeding in the upper left corner going across the top of the sreen. Tonight when I get home from work and it's dark out I will make sure this one doesn't (even though I am not about to take it back at this point)

Will post more later now I have to go to work dead ass tired.
post #534 of 818 Old 09-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unless you're bumping up against a return date deadline, why not just make them aware of the problem and see if a firmware update will fix it?

I do have only a week left on return date and I do want to check a few settings to see if i can fix it myself. I also need to decide if it is enough to return it because I do like the tv enough that I bought a smaller one for another room. I am keeping the smaller one either way but for my primary set this could be enough of an issue to make me return and regroup. I will post if I find settings that remedy the situation. I would guess it has to do with the AMP settings but I hate to turn those off as they really do improve the game visuals IMO.
post #535 of 818 Old 09-27-2011, 08:52 PM

Well, like Hand76's rushed "first impressions" post with his replacement IPS panel, here's my very brief first impressions post on my just-received NON-IPS (from Amazon) panel:

I don't have it in position in my entertainment center yet...just had time to put the base together and get it on its stand on the floor with an indoor antenna hooked up (NYC area).

Honestly (and this could be premature) -- I don't see the viewing angle problem that others say they have on the non-IPS panel (yet, anyway). And I'm coming from a plasma world where viewing angles are not a problem to begin with. Additionally, I work in network television. I went almost as far to the side as I could without seeing much if any loss of color/contrast. But again, it's not set in the position I'll be viewing it at. For now, though, I'm pleased with that.

The sound is much, much tinnier than I expected. I have to work on that! My Panasonic plasma from 2005 has much better sound, but then it has front-facing bottom-mounted speakers. That's going to be a work in progress. Yes, I do have a home theater setup, but I don't want to have to turn on the HT every time I watch TV!

The DTV tuner seems much more capable of picking up NY area DTV signals than my older plasma's DTV tuner. That's good to see.

OK, that's the nutshell. I'll give a more in-depth review when it's all set up and tweaked, etc. It's a DLHR coded-set, "Hecho en Mexico", as they say, in July of 11. 42" panel.
post #536 of 818 Old 09-27-2011, 10:32 PM

Hey Slikster glad you are enjoying yours. Yea seems like both panels are pretty good.

I just sat down with this IPS panel now for about 1 hour and here is my take on both TV's.

Viewing Angle:

VA:: Screen looked slightly brighter at an angle and colors slightly faded out the further you moved away from the TV. As you moved further away from the screen it looked like you were raising the brightness setting a little with each step.
IPS: Colors hold true even at a very wide viewing angle but the picture gets ever so slightly darker in the process. Almost the exact opposite of the VA pannel. Even my LG 22" IPS PC monitor does the same, colors stay true but screen looks darker at angles. Not a big deal or anything bad just something I noticed.

Backlight:

VA I don't know if this is the VA panels in general having an issue or just the specific TV I got the first time around but there was blacklight bleeding in the upper left hand corner of the screen that went across the top edge of the TV.
IPS None seen. Just pure black. Nice!

Couple of other little things I noticed:

The VA panel (at standard settings) looks a little more vibrant than the IPS panel at the same settings. One way I would describe the two would be VA: Brighter more vibrant colors. IPS: A Deeper more richer color tone.

Also the IPS panel (like mentioned earlier in this thread) has a lot of (not sure what you would call it) bloom? around certain things like white text on a black backround (example: movie credits) seems like the white would extend out from the words to the edge of the screen. Not a big deal but was there ever a solution for this?

Bottom line is both panels are great, overall I do think this IPS panel is slightly superior, but you can't really go wrong with either. And I certainly dont think trading in a a VA panel for another TV is needed. It's still an incredible picture either way.
post #537 of 818 Old 09-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The sound is much, much tinnier than I expected. I have to work on that! My Panasonic plasma from 2005 has much better sound, but then it has front-facing bottom-mounted speakers. That's going to be a work in progress. Yes, I do have a home theater setup, but I don't want to have to turn on the HT every time I watch TV!

Yeah, the sound is pretty bad on these sets for sure....much worse than my 2 old LCD sets. I did somewhat "help" the situation by cranking the bass nearly all the way up and the treble nearly all the way down. No, it is not ideal but I find that it does kill the "tinny" aspect and makes it acceptable for basic television viewing. I still use my home theater speakers 75% of the time but at least it is not mandatory for all situations.
post #538 of 818 Old 09-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Yeah, the sound is pretty bad on these sets for sure....much worse than my 2 old LCD sets. I did somewhat "help" the situation by cranking the bass nearly all the way up and the treble nearly all the way down. No, it is not ideal but I find that it does kill the "tinny" aspect and makes it acceptable for basic television viewing. I still use my home theater speakers 75% of the time but at least it is not mandatory for all situations.

So funny that you said that, because that's the first thing I did: Turn the treble all the way down and the bass nearly all the way up. I still can't stand it, though! But it does ameliorate the "cheap alarm clock radio" sound about it somewhat. My wife knows we have the home theater audio to fall back on, so we'll see how it goes.
post #539 of 818 Old 09-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Slikster how are you making out with your set? Curious does your tv display any blacklight bleed? On the old set I had some up top.

Also have you calibrated it yet? Use tru-motion? I know many hate tru-motion but I kinda like it. Have been trying de-judder at 3 and de-blur at 7.
post #540 of 818 Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM

I haven't had time yet to do any calibrating/tweaking. I spent most of the morning just getting it in place in my entertainment center, hooking up my other devices, cleaning out old wiring (a few component cables from my HDMI-starved Panasonic plasma from 2005), etc.

However, I just printed out the CNET 10-pt calibration settings for the 3D variant of this model, so I'm going to give those a shot, as I'm not completely happy with out of the box colors/tint, etc, no matter the "mode".

I'll work on those later on tonight, and look for backlight issues as well.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page