2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 818 Old 09-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
While I still haven't had enough time to really put this set through its paces, I have a couple of observations:

Viewing Angle for my Non-IPS set:

Yes, I concur with Hand76 in that the farther off center, the brighter the screen and less contrast. But iit's definitely fine for my viewing angles and most likely for anyone else who's visiting who might be watching from <40 degrees off center. I'm watching pretty much straight on.

Calibration/Adjustment settings:

Oh my god...I tried the "CNET 10-Point" calibration settings on this and it looked horrible! I was really starting to freak, as I'm thinking "If this is supposed to be calibrated, I'm sending this back!

My guess is that the proper settings differ greatly between IPS/Non-IPS panels, and the CNET reviewer probably had an IPS panel. Using those settings on my DLHR-coded panel made the vibrancy go way down, and the colors just "blah" -- nothing like what you would expect a 2011 LED/LCD to look like at all.

Actually, for now I'm finding the out-of-the-box "Standard" settings to be the best in my room. I haven't used any calibrations DVD's yet. But for now, everything jumps right out without looking like an in-store demo.

More later when I get more time in. (Note: I had the one and only Kevin Miller of ISF calibrate my 2005 Panasonic Plasma, so I have a good baseline for the type of color/vibrancy I would expect out of this thing.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 818 Old 09-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Yea Slikk I have been using settings close to the standard ones on both panels. I think they look great and colors really pop. Maybe they are are a little bit overboard but I like that wow factor.

I want to try that 10 point system but I don't want to use warm color temp (would rather normal) and not sure if that change would throw off the rest of the settings.
post #543 of 818 Old 09-29-2011, 03:27 PM

I bought the 612N and I followed the instructions here and couldn't get the thing to work. Reverted back to the old firmware and still nothing.

Do you have to have the TV off or in some kind of mode. The Guide button next to the light doesn't do anything at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Y_L View Post

Here's a listing of universal RCA remotes that should work:
RCR3273N, RCR3283N, RCR412SN, RCR412BN, RCR4383N, RCR4258N,
RCR4358N, RCR4373N, RCR4383N, RCR461, RCR612N, RCR473N, RCR812N,
RCR815N.

I purchased the model RCR412BN.
Procedure
1) Enter setup code 11265 to set up remote
(follow your remote direction set up)
2) Hit "Guide Button"
3) Input password code 0413
4) You are in the EZ menu of your LG tv

LG55LV5500
Sony Onkyo SR503 Receiver
Athena AS-B1/C1 Front/Center/Rear
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #544 of 818 Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Weird problem on my HDMI-1 port on my 42LV5500 panel: The audio on HDMI will drop out all of the sudden. I've replaced the HDMI audio cable and rebooted my cable box. It still drops off randomly. Video is fine.

I never had any issues with my cable box HDMI on my Panasonic plasma this one took the place of.

I'm pretty sure this is the "ARC" HDMI port, but I don't have anything set there. Do I need to?

Anyone else have this issue? This WILL be a deal breaker if it persists.
post #545 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
New US firmware. Still no AAC audio support.

post #546 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

Yea just got it what chages were there if any? These things should come with a change log.

BTW why does my clock (on auto) never set itself? I am connected through wifi. <---(Obviously since I got the update)
post #547 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 AM

I tune to an OTA channel and the clock sets itself

post #548 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

Weird problem on my HDMI-1 port on my 42LV5500 panel: The audio on HDMI will drop out all of the sudden. I've replaced the HDMI audio cable and rebooted my cable box. It still drops off randomly. Video is fine.

I never had any issues with my cable box HDMI on my Panasonic plasma this one took the place of.

I'm pretty sure this is the "ARC" HDMI port, but I don't have anything set there. Do I need to?

Anyone else have this issue? This WILL be a deal breaker if it persists.

Apologies for quoting my own post. I did a power-reset of the cable box (vs. a soft-reboot that I had done before) and so far, it seems like it has cured the HDMI sound problem. Time will tell.

I had changed to a different HDMI-input on the panel and it made no difference, hence the hard-reset of the cable box.
post #549 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:

I tune to an OTA channel and the clock sets itself

Im sorry I don't understand exactly how to do this?

BTW are there any reliable calibration settings that dont use the warm color temp? Im still having trouble finding the perfect (or as close to) picture.
post #550 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 01:33 PM

Connect an antenna and tune to any channel.

post #551 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Two updates in roughly 1 month....impressive.

I notice the picture presets under "normal" have been toned down. I hope they adjusted the colors.
post #552 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 06:26 PM

Sorry to get this specific but I just ordered one of the 42 inchers from Amazon, and I wondered if anyone with the PVA or IPS Panels could tell me where their's was sent from? Mine is coming from the warehouse in INDIANAPOLIS, IN. I really hope it is the IPS, Because Amazon is getting annoyed with my picky requirements! Thanks.
post #553 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabenn View Post

I bought the 612N and I followed the instructions here and couldn't get the thing to work. Reverted back to the old firmware and still nothing.

Do you have to have the TV off or in some kind of mode. The Guide button next to the light doesn't do anything at all.

I am assuming your RCR612N RCA remote direct code entry is the same as my RCR412BN RCA universal remote.

Direct Code Entry:
Press and hold the TV device key to program the ON-OFF key for the LG TV.
While holding down the TV device key, use your other hand and enter setup code 11265. (The ON-OFF key light should go off after the first digit input and then come back on after finish entering the five digit code. The programming is now complete). When you press the Guide button "Enter Password" menu should show up. Enter password 0413. You should now be in the EZ ADJUST menu of your LG TV.

H_Y_L
post #554 of 818 Old 09-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Yep exact steps I followed. May stop at best buy to pick up a harmony remote. Does the TV respond to the guide code by flashing the led? Mine doesn't even blink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Y_L View Post

I am assuming your RCR612N RCA remote direct code entry is the same as my RCR412BN RCA universal remote.

Direct Code Entry:
Press and hold the TV device key to program the ON-OFF key for the LG TV.
While holding down the TV device key, use your other hand and enter setup code 11265. (The ON-OFF key light should go off after the first digit input and then come back on after finish entering the five digit code. The programming is now complete). When you press the Guide button "Enter Password" menu should show up. Enter password 0413. You should now be in the EZ ADJUST menu of your LG TV.

H_Y_L

LG55LV5500
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #555 of 818 Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM

Currently downloading software update on 42lv5500: 04:00:18 to 04:01:36
post #556 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 02:06 AM

I see a lot of horizontal viewing angle talk on this thread but I didn't find much on the vertical viewing angles. I'm thinking of picking up a 42" for the bedroom and mounting it above the dresser which is about 4 feet above eye level. Does anyone have any input on how this can affect picture quality?
post #557 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustchillin View Post

I see a lot of horizontal viewing angle talk on this thread but I didn't find much on the vertical viewing angles. I'm thinking of picking up a 42" for the bedroom and mounting it above the dresser which is about 4 feet above eye level. Does anyone have any input on how this can affect picture quality?

My mother bought one today. 3 metres away horizontally, bottom of the frame 0.6 metres above eyesight. The viewing angles look very good. Alas, the black bars are quite bright. I don't think much more can be expected from an edge-lit. Matte. Very natural colours. BTW, if you are going to hang it on the wall, many brackets have 10-15 degrees tilt and swivel adjustment.
post #558 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubael View Post

Sorry to get this specific but I just ordered one of the 42 inchers from Amazon, and I wondered if anyone with the PVA or IPS Panels could tell me where their's was sent from? Mine is coming from the warehouse in INDIANAPOLIS, IN. I really hope it is the IPS, Because Amazon is getting annoyed with my picky requirements! Thanks.

My non-IPS came from Pennsylvania.
post #559 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 AM

So am I the only idiot not using the warm color tone?

I don't know, I tried to get used to it for a couple of days (and did) but it still seems kinda "blah" to me. I guess it may be slightly more realistic, but things just don't "pop" on the screen.
post #560 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherubael View Post

Follow the guide as posted earlier in this thread:

To decode panel type for LG 2011 models, look at the fourth letter in the third group of characters:

47LV5500-UA.AUSYLJR
Y=IPS
D=VA

To decode panel type for LG 2010 models, look at the fourth letter in the second group of characters:

47LE5400-AUSWL
W=IPS
D=VA
post #561 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 11:47 AM

These settings are for a non-IPS 42LV5500-UA.AUSDLHR model

I've gone through making some basic calibration with my Non-IPS set. To do that, I used the AVS-709 (free) calibration disc: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I downloaded the AVCHD version of the .exe file to burn to DVD, as my Blu-Ray player natively plays that format and I don't have a Blu-Ray burner...just a DVD burner, so that was the file for me.

Note: If you want to use the calibration disc, you absolutely need a "blue filter" so you can properly adjust color and tint. You can get blue filter glasses from THX: http://www.costore.com/THX/producten...=87&pid=930793

The very first thing you should do after creating the calibration disc is to load it in your Blu-Ray player and scroll to the menu item at the top labeled "HDTV Calibration". It's a great combined series of videos from the guys at HD Nation on how to do basic calibration on your set and they use this particular calibration disc. Very informative, and they tell you which screens to key in on and why. Watch the videos all the way through before starting on your own calibration!

Anyway, on my non-IPS panel, here are the basic settings that work well for me and are tuned using the calibration disc:

Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

Energy Saving: Off

Picture Mode: Standard (User)

Backlight: 50 (Just my preference)

Contrast: 81 (edit: Changed to 81 from 90 because one of the "Misc" maps on the calibration disc showed the red color slightly hot at the top end of the scale at 90).

Brightness: 50
Sharpness: 53
Color: 54
Tint: 0
Color Temp. : 0

Advanced Controls

Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Off
Clear White: Off
Skin Color: 0
Noise Reduction: Off
Super Resolution: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction Off
Gamma: Low
Black Level: Low
Eye Care: Off
Real Cinema: On
Color Gamut: Standard

TruMotion: Off

LED Local Dimming (requires access to the "EZ Adjust Menu"): Off

(I made basic calibration adjustments before accessing the Local Dimming options. I didn't find that local dimming affected basic color/tint/black level already adjusted.)

I also enabled the THX Modes in the EZ Adjust Menu but still like my own tweaks better so far.

Audio Note: The AC3 tweak in the EZ Adust Menu does pass Dolby audio from my cable box over the Optical Out of the TV. Couldn't get it to pass DTS over optical from my Blue Ray player. Also wasn't able to get my laptop's HDMI audio to pass Dolby (so far, anyway) over the TV's optical out.

Hope these settings are helpful.
post #562 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Hey guys just stumbled across this set of calibration numbers on another site.

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...p2.html#picset

Will try them out later tonight and see how they come out. If anyone else gives these a go please post on how you made out.

[Edit] Just tried these but didn't like em much. Picture almost seemed to have a green tint to it.
post #563 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 02:29 PM

How can i undo update?
Problem is, after update (4.04.10),
twitter dont work. Cant login to
account, cant delete and add new.
Facebook account was deleted after
update, but i add again and facebook
works. everything else seems to work
just fine.
Am i alone with this issue?

Sorry for my english.
post #564 of 818 Old 10-02-2011, 03:19 PM

For those in Australia, Harvey Norman has the 42LV5500 for $698. Also $100 Bigpond movies voucher by redemption.
post #565 of 818 Old 10-03-2011, 06:16 AM

It's mentioned earlier on a post from crkpot.

But go into the menu settings highlight over the options and then hit 9 7 times. That should revert back. Using the search option on the thread should find it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapsik View Post

How can i undo update?
Problem is, after update (4.04.10),
twitter dont work. Cant login to
account, cant delete and add new.
Facebook account was deleted after
update, but i add again and facebook
works. everything else seems to work
just fine.
Am i alone with this issue?

Sorry for my english.

LG55LV5500
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #566 of 818 Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Follow up on my audio reports from my calibration post above:

Cable Box: Dolby Digital passes through optical out on LG after EZ Menu AC-3 Adjust

Roku Box: Dolby Digital passes through optical out on LG after EZ Menu AC-3 Adjust

Sony Blu-Ray: Wants to use DTS-Master out -- does not pass through optical

HP Laptop w/HDMI: Still no joy on getting 5.1 audio, however -- this is on the laptop's end. I'm thinking now that its either getting or using an EDID (Extended display identification data ) file from the LG that's not correct OR it's using one that was in place BEFORE I did the AC-3 audio tweak in the EZ Menu.

What I plan to do is find/delete my "monitor.inf" file in my Windows 7 laptop that's associated with the LG panel. Then, restart the laptop and let it query the LG for a new set of EDID info. I'll see if that changes my HDMI output options.

Right now, I can only pass 2 channels of audio over HDMI, even though codecs like Dolby and DTS are supported on the laptop. It says right in the control panel that it has a "2 channel max" output over HDMI. That suggests that the EDID info it has stored is telling it so.

Again, the EDID info was stored on the laptop before I did the EZ Menu AC-3 thing, so hopefully just deleting it and letting it find the LG again will solve that. If not, I will use the "MonInfo" applet from EntechTaiwan to see what it says about supported audio and edit my current EDID data.

I'll report back.
post #567 of 818 Old 10-03-2011, 03:00 PM

You might try disabling DTS and see if that works. When I did the easy setup HDMI audio on my PS3, it showed that DD 5.1, and PCM 44/44.1 is supported. I have my HR20-700 connected to my Yamaha AVR through the TV since it's DD 5.1 only anyway. My PS3 and HD-A2 are connected by toslink

post #568 of 818 Old 10-03-2011, 03:13 PM

BTW Slikk in your calibration #'s up top what color tone did you use? I am on day 3 of trying to get used to warm...like I said previously I am getting used to it but certain things just don't "pop" anymore.

People say that on normal the screen has a blue tint to it (and while that is true) warm gives it a red/yellowish tint. So it's not like you are going from a blue tint to neutral by making the change, so I don't understand why everyone recommends it.
post #569 of 818 Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:

You might try disabling DTS and see if that works. When I did the easy setup HDMI audio on my PS3, it showed that DD 5.1, and PCM 44/44.1 is supported. I have my HR20-700 connected to my Yamaha AVR through the TV since it's DD 5.1 only anyway. My PS3 and HD-A2 are connected by toslink

Thanks for chiming in. I don't think that's going to help because before I updated the chipset drivers, Dolby 5.1 was the only surround format on the supported list, so there was no DTS to even disable.

But, I'll certainly give it a go if nothing else helps.
post #570 of 818 Old 10-03-2011, 03:17 PM

This should be interesting
Quote:

Adobe posting Flash 11 tonight, brings Flash to LG TVs

2 3
updated 03:50 pm EDT, Mon October 3, 2011

Adobe to release AIR 3, Flash Player 11 tonight

At its MAX tech conference, Adobe promised that it will release Flash Player 11 and AIR 3 at 9PM Pacific Time (midnight) on Monday. At the same time, LG and TiVo have become the latest partners to bring Flash-based apps using AIR to connected TVs and digital home devices. The latest code from Adobe will allow hardware-accelerated 2D and 3D graphics rendering using Stage 3D.

The new releases allow 1,000 times faster rendering performance over Flash Player 10 and AIR 2. This can result in 60FPS rendering and console-quality games, Adobe claims. A production release of AIR 3 will let users convert code to native apps for desktop platforms as well as Android, BlackBerry Tablet OS, and iOS.

Samsung Smart TVs already support Adobe Flash and will continue after the new update.

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles...#ixzz1Zl9pjOyw

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page