2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New firmware 04.02.24 has an all new Netflix interface.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

New firmware 04.02.24 Still no AAC support.

Firmware updates are usually for net apps only and not tv functionality.
post #633 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and finding it extremely helpful!

I have a 55LV5500 and since the new firmware (04.02.24) came out I can't connect to Netflix. Vudu works fine, but netflix keeps telling me I can't connect.
If anyone has any thoughts on how to solve this it would really help.

Alternatively, do you happen to know how I can roll back to the previous firmware? The system worked fine with it and I am happy to go back and never upgrade firmware again

Thanks a lot.
post #634 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Oh, and on another sound note I do find the "stand" sound far superior to the "wall mount" setting, or whatever it is called.

It's funny you mention that, because I don't discern any difference in those three options, either (stand/wall/user)! I'll check again, but I've been through this a couple of times already and I can't hear any change.
post #635 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgibbs View Post

I purchased the RCRN04GR ($9.95 WalMart) today and used the following:
1) Enter setup code 12358 to program remote
2) Hit "2" on the RCA remote which brought up the EZ menu upper left hand corner of my 55LV5500
3) No password req. Use LG remote to navigate through menu ts using left, right, up, down buttons around the "enter" button.

I made the "local dimming", "AC3" and "DVR ready" only with no issues. Turned TV off and back on, no issues.

What firmware were you using. Bought the same remote held down tv button pushed 12358 to program. Power light on remote goes off, then hit 2 and the channel selection list comes up. Trying this from the tv input. This is my third cheap remote. Harmony is my next buy. Really want that dvr functionality.

LG55LV5500
Sony Onkyo SR503 Receiver
Athena AS-B1/C1 Front/Center/Rear
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #636 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnr View Post

Hi Guys,

New to the forum and finding it extremely helpful!

I have a 55LV5500 and since the new firmware (04.02.24) came out I can't connect to Netflix. Vudu works fine, but netflix keeps telling me I can't connect.
If anyone has any thoughts on how to solve this it would really help.

Alternatively, do you happen to know how I can roll back to the previous firmware? The system worked fine with it and I am happy to go back and never upgrade firmware again

Thanks a lot.

Sometimes with the premium apps you have to reset them after updates. I think the option is in the Support? menu on the tv. Try that.
post #637 of 818 Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabenn View Post

What firmware were you using. Bought the same remote held down tv button pushed 12358 to program. Power light on remote goes off, then hit 2 and the channel selection list comes up. Trying this from the tv input. This is my third cheap remote. Harmony is my next buy. Really want that dvr functionality.

Well got it to work with both my remotes. I had to use code 10856 and use the 2 key.

LG55LV5500
Sony Onkyo SR503 Receiver
Athena AS-B1/C1 Front/Center/Rear
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #638 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 AM

I tried resetting the app with no success. Also found (on this thread) a way to roll back the firmware, but as soon as i try to access the premium services it asks for the firmware update and after reinstall - still not working.
post #639 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 37
Slikkster you are right yet again. The mounting type makes no difference either. I tell ya, I am either really losing my mind or something changed. I just swear all of these settings made a difference before and allowed this to sound less like a tin can and more like a small box. I know, nothing great, but at least tolerable. Right now clear voice is the only setting that even changes the sound characteristics. Maybe it was all in my head but wow, I sure remember hearing pretty noticeable changes previously.
post #640 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykeith View Post

Slikkster you are right yet again. The mounting type makes no difference either. I tell ya, I am either really losing my mind or something changed. I just swear all of these settings made a difference before and allowed this to sound less like a tin can and more like a small box. I know, nothing great, but at least tolerable. Right now clear voice is the only setting that even changes the sound characteristics. Maybe it was all in my head but wow, I sure remember hearing pretty noticeable changes previously.

Hey man, I believe you. Oddly enough, as you posted this I have been trying to report this with the LG "Send a message to support" page, and of course the page doesn't work -- tells you that you haven't filled in a name/email address/phone number when you have. Annoying!

And then worse, I've been doing an online "chat" now with some first-level hack probably from overseas somewhere who had me do the obvious "hard reset" of the TV and then sent me the boilerplate "Contact a technician in your area" nonsense.

I could use some help in reporting this so it's not just me. If I can figure out how to get an actual case number, can you report the same thing so they start to actually look at it?

Tks.
post #641 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Firmware updates are usually for net apps only and not tv functionality.

What does LG need to fix in order to correct the lack of AAC(.m4a) support? What good is it if PLEX/Media Link claim AAC support when the TV can't?

From the PLEX forum
page__view__findpost__p__166313
Quote:
Nick - LG Training
thanks, Scott

A quick overview of the support list:

File Extensions
.divx
.wmv
.avi
.mp4
.mkv
.ts

Video Codecs
H.264/AVC
DivX 4/5/6
VC-1
XViD
MPEG2
MPEG1

Audio Codecs
MP3
AAC
DD
PCM
WMA

In addition...

It will play m2ts and vob. But, limited support of vob.

I doubt we will ever support iso, bd, dvd structures on the TVs. There are technical issues, but i would think mainly because we make BD/DVD players. Could be some legal headaches involved with those also.

post #642 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 09:38 AM

been lurking this thread for quite some time now and i see people talking about IPS panels for this model.

what gives it away that it's an IPS panel?
post #643 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkforyou View Post

been lurking this thread for quite some time now and i see people talking about IPS panels for this model.

As far as the model number/codes go, if you get a set where the last four letter block starts with a "Y", you've got an IPS panel. If you get one that begins with a "D", you've got a VA panel (like me!).

As far as the difference otherwise, it's mostly a matter of viewing angles as you get off-center. With IPS panels, the color/contrast stays fairly constant. With VA, you begin to lose some color/contrast as you get farther off-center. I do have to say, though, that the loss is a helluva lot less than my folks' older Sharp non-IPS panel that really sucks as you get off-center! So, they seem to have made some progress in this regard.

There's also a difference with the pixels. The IPS pixels are more chevron-shaped, like >>>>>>.
post #644 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

Hey man, I believe you. Oddly enough, as you posted this I have been trying to report this with the LG "Send a message to support" page, and of course the page doesn't work -- tells you that you haven't filled in a name/email address/phone number when you have. Annoying!

And then worse, I've been doing an online "chat" now with some first-level hack probably from overseas somewhere who had me do the obvious "hard reset" of the TV and then sent me the boilerplate "Contact a technician in your area" nonsense.

I could use some help in reporting this so it's not just me. If I can figure out how to get an actual case number, can you report the same thing so they start to actually look at it?

Tks.

I will absolutely report the issue. I have a smaller version of this tv i use for other applications that I don't use an external speaker on so I would really like to tweak these settings.
post #645 of 818 Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkforyou View Post

The best way to check is to do what I call the "loupe test". Take a magnifying lens (jeweler's loupe or any 10x lens/glass) and look at the pixel shape. If the pixels look chevron-shaped (<<<<<) then it is an S-IPS panel. If the pixels are more horizontal shaped, then it's probably an H-IPS panels. Both have their pluses and minuses but most folks prefer the S-IPS (which are made by LG.Display) because of better response time and off-axis viewing, as well as color performance. However, not all models have the S-IPS nor are they offered in all sizes. Last year, if the fourth letter in the product code was a "W", then it probably was an S-IPS panel. This year the letter has changed to a "Y". Unfortunately, the panel lottery is still happening so unless you buy from a local B&M and can find one there, buying online is a crap shoot because you can't specifically ask for them. You get whatever they pull out of inventory.
post #646 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 08:53 AM

Need some workaround.
I try to connect my pc to lv5500 over HDMI. But my motherboard dont have SPDIF internal output. So i connect PC audio output and audio in (RBG/DVI).
But no sound. If i connect via VGA, then sound works. I think tv is understand, connecting HDMI-HDMI and try to play digital sound from HDMI.
If connection is DVI-HDMI (picture in manual), then played analog audio.

Is any workaround to play analog audio with HDMI-HDMI connection ?

Sorry for my english.
post #647 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krapsik View Post

Need some workaround.
I try to connect my pc to lv5500 over HDMI. But my motherboard dont have SPDIF internal output. So i connect PC audio output and audio in (RBG/DVI).
But no sound. If i connect via VGA, then sound works. I think tv is understand, connecting HDMI-HDMI and try to play digital sound from HDMI.
If connection is DVI-HDMI (picture in manual), then played analog audio.

Is any workaround to play analog audio with HDMI-HDMI connection ?

Sorry for my english.

Hi Krapsik,

Don't apologize for your English! I'm sure most English-speaking people can't speak a foreign language, so you are far ahead of the rest of us.

Now, what PC do you have? The whole idea of HDMI is to pass both audio and video on one cable, so I'm going to guess that you do have that capability but perhaps don't have something toggled or configured correctly on your computer.

What computer (brand and model) and motherboard?
post #648 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Video is GeForce 9800GT with HDMI output. Motherboard is GA-K8N-SLI.
This motherboard dont have SPDIF internal output. So i cant send digital audio via HDMI. But if i connect PC audio Out and TV audio IN(RGB/DVI), then
i hear only silence. I connect my laptop via VGA, and headphones out to TV audioIN (with same audio cable), sound works fine.
So i guess, if connection is DVI-HDMI, then TV automaticaly switch to analog audio. Maybe is a way to make it switch to analog with HDMI-HDMI ?
post #649 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

Tool Option 3
DVR Ready Set to 1 to enable Time Machine for dvr like functions on USB
This does enable Time Machine option when you put a usb drive on usb port 1 but my 4Gb stick didn't work. I'm not sure if it's because you have to use a USB Hard drive or this option doesn't work at all on the LV5500. Hopefully someone else can verify, I want this feature!

After enabling this, I plugged a 40Gig drive into my 55LV5500 and the only new option I've seen is "eject drive" from the "Quick Menu".

LG 55LV5500 - TV
Yamaha RX-V673 - Receiver
LG BP620 - Blu-Ray
Sony 300 Disc CD Changer
JBL Northridge Speakers
Cerwin Vega LW12 Sub
post #650 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:

After enabling this, I plugged a 40Gig drive into my 55LV5500 and the only new option I've seen is "eject drive" from the "Quick Menu".

Go to the home screen click on the right arrow. It takes you the media link/dlna page. the DVR screen is there and will allow you to format the drive for the DVR function. The drawback is it works with the OTA tuner only, and can't record and watch content over HDMI at the same time.

post #651 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

I can't believe I never realized the app had a qwerty keyboard.

More importantly, I can't believe it doesn't work in the apps (you tube). Come on LG...firmware that one please.
post #652 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post

What does LG need to fix in order to correct the lack of AAC(.m4a) support? What good is it if PLEX/Media Link claim AAC support when the TV can't?

From the PLEX forum

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I encode DVDs in Handbrake with x264 and AAC (faac) audio with a .m4v container and it works fine on my 42LV5500. Is this issue purely with playing audio an .m4a container?
post #653 of 818 Old 10-20-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipop43 View Post

Sorry if I'm missing something, but I encode DVDs in Handbrake with x264 and AAC (faac) audio with a .m4v container and it works fine on my 42LV5500. Is this issue purely with playing audio an .m4a container?

It appears so. I have all my music imported via iTunes AAC encoder and iTunes plus setting. My DirecTV HR20-700 has no problem streaming music. and it's over 5 years old.

post #654 of 818 Old 10-21-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Video is GeForce 9800GT with HDMI output. Motherboard is GA-K8N-SLI.
This motherboard dont have SPDIF internal output. So i cant send digital audio via HDMI. But if i connect PC audio Out and TV audio IN(RGB/DVI), then
i hear only silence. I connect my laptop via VGA, and headphones out to TV audioIN (with same audio cable), sound works fine.
So i guess, if connection is DVI-HDMI, then TV automaticaly switch to analog audio. Maybe is a way to make it switch to analog with HDMI-HDMI ?

OK, sorry to belabor this point, but I'm looking at your motherboard manual, and it DOES show SPDIF IN/OUT on the rear panel. Now granted, the manual covers three variations of your motherboard (basic/ultra/pro), but the manual specifically points out what features are/aren't available on each model. The manual does not exclude SPDIF from any/all of the models, so it should be there on your motherboard.

See here: http://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/m...a%29-sli_e.pdf

Go to page 22 of 88. It's a diagram of the back panel. You'll see the SPDIF IN/OUT connectors there.

However, that's only part of the answer. Your problem is that I don't see actual SPDIF pins on the motherboard; just the actual RCA-type jacks on the back. So, in order for you to use SPDIF through your video card, you would need an adapter cable.

Take a look at this "CA-1" cable here...it's RCA (male) on one end, and a 2-pin connector on the other end:

http://www.htomega.com/cables.html

This looks to me what you would need. You would connect the RCA male end to the SPDIF OUT on the back of your PC and then (carefully) thread the other end of the cable inside your computer case and connect the 2-pin connector to your video card's input.

Now, I can't tell if the 2-pin connector is exactly the same size as the connector you would need to fit the video card, but I'm going to assume you have the original SPDIF cable that came with the video card. You should be able to make a "Do it yourself" cable with the proper connector (connecting to the correct wires, of course) from the cable you already have. But who knows? Maybe the connector that comes with the CA-1 cable I linked to would fit the video card just fine.

Anyway, the bottom line is that your motherboard should already have SPDIF capability, if the manual I'm looking at is accurate.

Edit: After typing all of that, I saw that you did say you didn't have "internal" SPDIF, so I guess you already know about the external SPDIF. What I would do is write to the people who make the adapter cable (HT Omega) at sales@htomega.com. Explain to them that you have a 9800GT video card, and while this cable was made for their own products, maybe they could tell you before you bought it whether the 2-pin connector side would fit into your video card ok.
post #655 of 818 Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM

Slikkster, Thank You for answer. Yes i have external SPDIF. I try to follow your suggestions, cause changing motherboard/system is not possible for me right now.
post #656 of 818 Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:

Slikkster, Thank You for answer. Yes i have external SPDIF. I try to follow your suggestions, cause changing motherboard/system is not possible for me right now.

Glad to help. In the mean time, if you look at the manual pictures, have you tried outputting DVI to HDMI from your video card? You might have to use HDMI-1 on the TV. You have to had an DVI-HDMI cable, of course.

Here's how it would work:

9800GT Video Card DVI out to DVI-HDMI cable.

Connect DVI-HDMI cable to LG HDMI-1 input.

Connect analog audio (not SPDIF) out from your computer to the RGB/DVI input on the LG TV. Should be the green audio jack on the back.

This should work, and should at least let you get analog PCM audio (no Dolby) from the computer to the TV.

The SPDIF adapter cable is your best bet in the long run.
post #657 of 818 Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabenn View Post

Just discovered by accident, that the remote for my 32" Vizio will get access to the LG service menu screen. Just pushed the "-" button in lower right corner with the number keys.

LG 55LV5500 - TV
LG BP620 - Blu-Ray
Sony 300 Disc CD Changer
JBL Northridge Speakers
Cerwin Vega LW12 Sub
post #658 of 818 Old 10-23-2011, 11:59 AM

gkg ) kidding. ) ROFL. Maybe you could find a secret comb to activate DTS. ))
post #659 of 818 Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just discovered by accident, that the remote for my 32" Vizio will get access to the LG service menu screen. Just pushed the "-" button in lower right corner with the number keys.

Be very careful in the SM, very careful. Unless you know exactly what you're looking at and what it does, you can quickly turn a nice tv into a doorstop.
post #660 of 818 Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Geek Squad Black Tie coverage.. fix it no matter what happens.
Need to call them anyway, have tiling on HD digital ch's through cable connection only. Same ch's are tile free on my "over air" antenna. Also when I connect a 2-way splitter and feed another HD set of the same line I only have tiling on my LG.
Only happens when first turned on and lasts anywhere from 5 to 30 mins then stops. Analogs are fine.

LG 55LV5500 - TV
LG BP620 - Blu-Ray
Sony 300 Disc CD Changer
JBL Northridge Speakers
Cerwin Vega LW12 Sub
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page