Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 818 Old 11-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I think crude and backwards is a bit harsh but I do agree with your premise. It seems that more and more people want their tv to be all-in-one (IOW, a big-assed computer monitor) and I just don't think tv technology is quite there, yet. Hence the number of returns of perfectly good tvs other than their lag times for COD weren't acceptable.

I don't think it's harsh at all. It's a poorly implemented set of "features". Please don't think I am calling the people in this thread crude or backwards. They're simply trying to get the most out of their purchase. The ****** thing is, these manufacturers want people to buy a new TV every few years, so instead of doing firmware updates to current tv's to get things working or adding features, they ignore their userbase after a few months and introduce those new features as a new model.

Because of this, I don't think people will ever be happy with a "swiss army knife" TV in a closed source big corporation environment. The answer lies in open source community developed software and implementations such as home theatre PCs, and simplified units based on open source community projects such as the Boxee Box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 818 Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpom View Post

Don't care about any sort of gaming features but since TV manufacturers have entered this game of media Swiss knife devices why not get it right. Samsung is doing great in this department while everybody else is shooting themselves in the arm or leg. And adding another $99 device just because the TV is missing one feature is what crude and backwards after all.

In my view, it's similar to comparing a Blender to The Magic Bullet.

The Blender blends, and does a great job of it. (The TV does a great job of displaying moving images). The Magic bullet is advertised as being able to do everything from blending to making margaritas, Guacamole, slice dice chop purée etc etc.

When you mail order the thing, and get it into your kitchen, you realise that it doesn't blend well, and dooesn't really do anything else all that well either. You end up smacking the thing on the table more than blending to get it to mix properly. This is sort of like the current smart TVs. Great TV's, but good luck trying to get it to smoothly play all the current codecs and containers and music formats such as FLAC. And don't even get started on proper handling of subtitles.

There are specific products that do all the micromanagement of codecs and support, and browsers and youtube and netflix, and they do it with little to no trouble at all.
post #723 of 818 Old 11-30-2011, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnale View Post

If I am watching a dark scene that has a small section that is bright, the entire width of the screen that takes up the height of that small section is singificantly brighter.

I.e:
+ = dark
* = bright area
o = light band

++++++
++++++
oooooo**
oooooo**
++++++

For example, at the beginning of movies when the screen is sometimes black with actors' names in white text, the row that makes up the height of the text is lighter than the rest of the screen.

Is there any simple way to prevent this from happening? I notice this does not happen in Game Mode, but I wasn't sure if there was some setting that I can just turn off. I have a 47lv5500.

Game mode turns off local dimming. If you have an Harmony or RCA remote, you can program it to access the EZ menu and enable local dimming control. I turned it off and that took care of the issue you describe.

Here is the post on how to get to the EZ menu and what to change:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

For anyone interested there is a way to enable several missing features on this tv. I found a way to access the service menu's with a Harmony remote and checked it all out.

The only one normal users would be interested in is the EZ Adjust menu which this link shows how to manually add the code needed for a Harmony Remote. Access password is 0413.

Here's what I found most interesting:

Tool Option 2
Local Dim Menu set to 1 to enable Local Dimming Options in the TV Video setup menu
I have no idea why this option is disabled in the first place.

Tool Option 3

DVR Ready Set to 1 to enable Time Machine for dvr like functions on USB
This does enable Time Machine option when you put a usb drive on usb port 1 but my 4Gb stick didn't work. I'm not sure if it's because you have to use a USB Hard drive or this option doesn't work at all on the LV5500. Hopefully someone else can verify, I want this feature!

THX Set to 1 to enable THX video calibration options.
Adds the THX video mode like higher end models have. Not available on DLNA/MediaLink

THX Media Director Set to 1 to enable but not sure what it does.

Tool Option 5
Channel Browser Set to 1 to enable preview thumbnail grid of all channels.
I get thumbnail boxes for all channels but it's unable to load a preview from Cable, so it may not work on US cable. Also noticed when enabled a button with Korean words show up in the menu?

You can also enable 3D options in Tool Option 5 menu but I don't see anything new anywhere. The LW5600 is the same tv but with passive 3d, I don't know if the screen is different and/or it has a seperate processor for 3D but these options probably do nothing for LV5500.

There's also an option for CNET TV but enabling it I didn't see any new CNET features anywhere.

Also beware as everyone always says, there are settings that can brick your TV if you change the wrong thing, so be carefull. From what I could tell the EZ Adjust Menu is pretty safe but I didn't change the things I didn't know what they were.

Re THX Media Director. It allows AV devices to talk to each other. The Star wars Saga is the first media that is THX media director enabled.
http://www.thx.com/test-bench-blog/s...abled-blu-ray/

post #724 of 818 Old 12-01-2011, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know where I can find the change log for the new update? (LG TV 4.02.28)
post #725 of 818 Old 12-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys maybe you can help me with a General LG LED TV question. A friend just got a 55 inch LG LED from Walmart he knows nothing about the TV but I think the TV is the 4400 model. When he has a light on in the Room the TV has a Bright Vivid picture but when he turns the light Off and the area around the TV darkens the TV dims. Is this some normal function of this TV? He loves the "brighter" look but wants to keep the room darker and he doesn't like that the TV dims. Is there a setting or something that can be changed?

Thanks
post #726 of 818 Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Liked: 11
Your "friend" must have the energy saving mode turned on. I must say I don't understand why LG created this mode. Who wants to watch a TV that's constantly changing screen quality to save a coupla' bucks on electricity? Too distracting. Must everything be "green" these days?
Switch to Standard mode and adjust your Gamma and Backlight settings according to day or night and you should have a great picture. I spent months tweaking Expert 1 and 2 and I ended up going back to Standard with a few minor tweaks.
post #727 of 818 Old 12-01-2011, 09:23 PM

I have to add to my previous post. If the dimming effect is bothering you (ghosting around bright objects against a black background) I suggest copying the Standard settings to Game mode. Game mode doesn't use the dimming feature.
You lose a bit of black level but you can use backlight and gamma to make up for it.
post #728 of 818 Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozilla314 View Post

Your "friend" must have the energy saving mode turned on. I must say I don't understand why LG created this mode. Who wants to watch a TV that's constantly changing screen quality to save a coupla' bucks on electricity? Too distracting. Must everything be "green" these days?
Switch to Standard mode and adjust your Gamma and Backlight settings according to day or night and you should have a great picture. I spent months tweaking Expert 1 and 2 and I ended up going back to Standard with a few minor tweaks.

Thanks for the info. I have the LG 55LW6500 on order and it will be here next week so I may have the same situation. I had went to his house tonight to see his LG though I knew it wasn't the same model I told him I would come and check his out. I am the techno geek of the group of guys I run around with so they know that when they have problems I know where to go online to find the answers and then fix what problems they have. So there is setting somewhere in the Menu to turn the Engery Saving Mode ON and Off?

Thanks again
post #729 of 818 Old 12-02-2011, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoe View Post

I have the Vizio VSB200 soundbar connected, and it sounds great. May want to give that one a shot.

How are you dealing with the TV passing through Dolby Digital/AC3? The soundbar can only handle PCM and I can't seem to find a setting to tell the TV to ouput PCM. I can set the audio output on all of my external devices to PCM so the TV passes through the PCM. But, when using DLNA or MediaLink the TV outputs Dolby Digital on files encoded as such. The soundbar just flashes an error at me.

I have configured my Harmony remote to access the service menu and I am curious what the PCM EDID D/L vs AC3 EDID D/L is.

I am also wondering if there are any devices I can put between the TV and soundbar that would downmix AC3 to PCM whilst staying on TOSLINK? I have found DACs that will downmix AC3 but ouput to analog component.
post #730 of 818 Old 12-02-2011, 05:32 AM

Yeah RonH54, there is even a button on
the remote to access "energy saving". It's
the green button on the top left of the remote. It's also in the "picture" menu, just above "picture mode". You want to turn that to "off". When it's enabled it causes the TV to react to ambient lighting in the room.
post #731 of 818 Old 12-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozilla314 View Post

Yeah RonH54, there is even a button on
the remote to access "energy saving". It's
the green button on the top left of the remote. It's also in the "picture" menu, just above "picture mode". You want to turn that to "off". When it's enabled it causes the TV to react to ambient lighting in the room.

Thank you so much. I told my buddy to call me this morning and I would tell him what he had to do.

Thanks again
post #732 of 818 Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewallgeek View Post

How are you dealing with the TV passing through Dolby Digital/AC3? The soundbar can only handle PCM and I can't seem to find a setting to tell the TV to ouput PCM. I can set the audio output on all of my external devices to PCM so the TV passes through the PCM. But, when using DLNA or MediaLink the TV outputs Dolby Digital on files encoded as such. The soundbar just flashes an error at me.

I have configured my Harmony remote to access the service menu and I am curious what the PCM EDID D/L vs AC3 EDID D/L is.

I am also wondering if there are any devices I can put between the TV and soundbar that would downmix AC3 to PCM whilst staying on TOSLINK? I have found DACs that will downmix AC3 but ouput to analog component.

Activating AC3 EDID enables DD 5.1 pass through. I enabled it so I could run my HR20 through my 47LV5500. My AVR has 3 digital inputs and I have 4 devices, including the TV. If LG ever decides to enable DTS pass through I'll run everything through the TV.

post #733 of 818 Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Got a 42LV5500 the other day. Been working on the setup for awhile. One thing I've noticed several times is a weird jittery effect when watching Netflix Streaming. I used the Netflix app and the Truemotion only gives me options of OFF, Low, or High. When I select Low it's okay enough, but some movies like BLACK DEATH that use handheld cinematography make the movie very hard to watch with a lot of judder. Turn the the function on High and it creates lots of artifacts. Turn the function OFF and the movie gets really really jittery. Even on other movies from Netflix the jittery effect remains when truemotion is turned off. So, I try to leave it on low but then there is lots of judder when handheld cameras are used...like on Destination Truth. So, anyone have a fix?

I also have first generation Roku that ouputs 720P. I have more control over the Truemotion when using HDMI and the Roku, but it's still never really as smooth as OTA or Blu-ray movies. And with the Truemotion set on off, it's still jittery. Also, the 720P Roku output is slightly less detailed than the LG Netflix App...so I'm thinking the Netflix App is a 1080P signal. Plus, the LG Netflic App has subtitles - something my old Roku doesn't support and I am a little hard of hearing. I'm still going to use my Roku as several other channels like Newscaster, Crunchyroll, Babble Music, and Vimeo are nice. Might use the LG App for Netflix if I can get the jittery/juddery image to smooth out.

Any advice on the Netflix App is appreciated.
post #734 of 818 Old 12-05-2011, 01:38 AM

Hello,
I have been reading the forum for quite some time and recently I decided to pick up a 42LV5500 from a local store. Out of the box the picture looks really nice although there is a problem I am experiencing and would like to hear your opinion on it.
While watching movies from a 3rd party multimedia center I had to pause if for a little bit and go do some work. When I got back I noticed that the player had a screensaver on and that was a little white figure on black screen moving around the screen. While the figure was in the middle of the screen everything was ok, when it moved to the left there was little to none flashlight from the panel but when it moved to the right I observed terrible flashlightings. The entire area around the figure was turned brighter and there was a considerably noticeable light coming from the right side. When the image moved away from the right side it started looking good again. Seeing that I imidiatly switched to the end of the movie to see the credits. While the credits were moving everything was ok but at the end of the movie there was just a little white text at the bottom of the tv that made the tv display the effect that jonnale has described earlier:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnale
If I am watching a dark scene that has a small section that is bright, the entire width of the screen that takes up the height of that small section is singificantly brighter.

I.e:
+ = dark
* = bright area
o = light band

++++++
++++++
oooooo**
oooooo**
++++++

After careful examination I can tell that while there are flashlights from both sides the ones from the left side are next to none and those from the right side are noticable but then again the TV might have been rotated to the right a little bit.
Is that a faulty TV or is that expected from a Led TV?
post #735 of 818 Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM

I've had the 42LV5400 for almost 2 weeks now and have a question for the community.

I know most people have said they turn off TruMotion for all viewing but sports. While watching regular TV I have found that setting it to User with both de-judder and be-blur at 1 helps just enough to make the difference with motion but not over do it to create a noticeable soap opera effect.

I know settings ultimately come down to personal preference but I'm wondering what others think of this setting?
post #736 of 818 Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 AM

Quote:

I've had the 42LV5400 for almost 2 weeks now and have a question for the community.

I know most people have said they turn off TruMotion for all viewing but sports. While watching regular TV I have found that setting it to User with both de-judder and be-blur at 1 helps just enough to make the difference with motion but not over do it to create a noticeable soap opera effect.

I know settings ultimately come down to personal preference but I'm wondering what others think of this setting?

I like it at 1/1 as well.

post #737 of 818 Old 12-09-2011, 12:46 PM

Hey guys I got a question on my LG 42 LV5500.

I am getting something weird from time to time. It almost looks like a static line that comes across the screen (upper right corner) for a split second every once in a while. It's always in the same spot and not sure why it's happening, almost looks like screen tearing for a moment.

Any ideas? I am going to turn off tru motion off for a little bit see if that's causing it, otherwise I guess I could try playing with the hdmi cables.
post #738 of 818 Old 12-09-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

I haven't really noticed a whole lot of difference playing around with the TruMotion settings on my 47LD520. I do leave it off for BD movies and switch it around from time to time for OTA tv viewing, or just forget about it and leave it where ever I left it at last time.
post #739 of 818 Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hand76 View Post

Hey guys I got a question on my LG 42 LV5500.

I am getting something weird from time to time. It almost looks like a static line that comes across the screen (upper right corner) for a split second every once in a while. It's always in the same spot and not sure why it's happening, almost looks like screen tearing for a moment.

Any ideas? I am going to turn off tru motion off for a little bit see if that's causing it, otherwise I guess I could try playing with the hdmi cables.

Have you tested to see if it is tied to input, HDMI Blu-ray v.s. internal tuner, or resolution 1080/720/SD?
post #740 of 818 Old 12-13-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I haven't really noticed a whole lot of difference playing around with the TruMotion settings on my 47LD520. I do leave it off for BD movies and switch it around from time to time for OTA tv viewing, or just forget about it and leave it where ever I left it at last time.

Re: TruMotion -- Talk about nailing the nickname for this effect...I had it toggled on on my 42LV5500 and my wife said it looked like 3D, but added "it looks like what daytime TV shows look like".

What's weird to me is that this effect probably more closely looks like what the actual real-life set looked like, but we're so used to film look that it doesn't look "natural", ironically.

I had it on when "A Few Good Men" was airing a few days ago, and it really gave it a live feel.
post #741 of 818 Old 12-13-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikkster View Post

Re: TruMotion -- Talk about nailing the nickname for this effect...I had it toggled on on my 42LV5500 and my wife said it looked like 3D, but added "it looks like what daytime TV shows look like".

What's weird to me is that this effect probably more closely looks like what the actual real-life set looked like, but we're so used to film look that it doesn't look "natural", ironically.

I had it on when "A Few Good Men" was airing a few days ago, and it really gave it a live feel.

A lot of people really don't like TruMotion and the rest just don't admit it. Personally, I like the SOE because I like the "live" look it gives. Others just hate it with a passion. I don't really see that much of a difference in sports (including Hockey). For movies though it is definitely off because I want to "feel" the movie as the director intended without any artificial processing. But, ultimately, it's whatever looks best to you not what others say.
post #742 of 818 Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:

If I understand you right, you want to plug in a hard drive to your tv and see it from your pc? No you can't do that. But you can plug in a hard drive to your pc and share it across the network to your tv.

I just got this TV, and I like it a lot; but I've been struggling with getting the network sharing to work. Is there any insight you can share?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #743 of 818 Old 12-31-2011, 12:06 PM

firmware 4.02.62 is up on the LG website. I tried an update via the TV but it says no update available. downloading now, will post the results.
http://www.lg.com/us/support/product...oduct-profile#

post #744 of 818 Old 12-31-2011, 04:34 PM

.m4a files now play via DLNA, but not Media Link/PLEX. They play for≈30 seconds then get weird.

post #745 of 818 Old 01-01-2012, 07:45 AM

when you update the firmware do you have to re-enable the DVR Functionality?

LG55LV5500
Sony Onkyo SR503 Receiver
Athena AS-B1/C1 Front/Center/Rear
Dayton 12" Sub
Sony NS70H DVD player
post #746 of 818 Old 01-01-2012, 10:17 AM

No. It is still available. I don't use it because it is OTA only and will not run while watching anything over HDMI.

post #747 of 818 Old 01-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Any word on gaming lag?

Do you have to play the panel lottery on these aswell?
post #748 of 818 Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk777th View Post

Any word on gaming lag?

Do you have to play the panel lottery on these aswell?

According to guitar hero the lag is somewhere between 45 and 80ms.

This is using the "strum when the button crosses the line" method.
post #749 of 818 Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:

For anyone interested there is a way to enable several missing features on this tv. I found a way to access the service menu's with a Harmony remote and checked it all out.

The only one normal users would be interested in is the EZ Adjust menu which this link shows how to manually add the code needed for a Harmony Remote. Access password is 0413.

Here's what I found most interesting:

Tool Option 2
Local Dim Menu set to 1 to enable Local Dimming Options in the TV Video setup menu
I have no idea why this option is disabled in the first place.

Greetings,

I recently purchased a 42LV5500 so thanks for this great tip. I did indeed get the THX picture modes to come up (it is hardcoded though so you cannot "tweak" the settings but it gives you a starting point).

However, even though I changed the menu item for "local dimming", that does not appear on the video setup menu. I looked through all the menus and did not see it. I was really interested in having the option for local dimming.

I made the setting the same way as I did the THX one which was make the change, then turn the TV off so nothing else got messed up (could not figure out how to go back in the tool menu). And since the THX change "took" not sure why local dimming is not showing up.

Any thoughts?

Hope it is not something they disabled in a new firmware version....

BJBBJB
post #750 of 818 Old 01-06-2012, 10:20 AM

I believe this is edge dimming in action. Since the screen cannot dim from the rear, it eemploys banks of LED's on the edge to dim quadrants of the panel... left and right banks light up as the credits scroll up follow it up the screen.

backlight LED could, presumably, lite just the center quadrant and follow it up from there, edge hits the length of the screen.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page