2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't been able to get it to work. I kind of like how the layout of the phone is though.

So far I am very happy with the tv though. HD using medialink and plex is so much nicer and easier to use than the ps3 media server I have been using before.

I don't like though that you have to change the screen format to original everytimeyou go into medialink. I tried fiddling around with trumotion settings. I can't really tell the difference. Not like when you turn this stuff on, on a Sony or Samsung and everything looks messed up or soap opera like.

I need to get some more HDMI cables as I don't have this working with my Onkyo receiver and U-Verse cable. But I am very excited to watch some basketball playoffs this week if I get a chance to pick some cables up tomorrow. And saving up some Formula 1 HD recording that I got and will be the first time I view them on a tv and not my PC.

Can't wait to get some more time to play around with the TV. So far I can't figure out why this is so cheap at Fry's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

How do you like that feature? I don't have a compatible phone to try it on but I'm real curious. Is it good enough that you would actually use your phone as a remote more then the tv remotes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What happens when you pair the phone? Do you get the remote screen but it's not actually controlling the tv?

I agree with having to change settings every time you use MediaLink, it's a minor pain but a pain still. I've been watching a lot of tv series on the tv and for every episode not only do you have to manually start the next one, you have to change any options before watching them. It would be nice if there was an option to auto-play tv episodes continuously in medialink.

This tv handles motion really really well for an LCD in my opinion. I really don't even notice motion blur or judder on camera pans although I don't look for it either, but blur I do. Anyways, I keep Tru-motion turned off for these reasons, but set even at low I do notice the soap opera effect and set higher it's even more obvious. It's there.

I don't know how Fry's can sell them so cheap myself, there was lots of news about flat panels dropping big time in price this year because of the market, but I didn't expect it on brand new models and especially as much as they have on sale prices.
post #93 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 AM

When the phone pairs, the screen has 3 tabs, basically the remote control is broken into 3 sections on the phone. I click the screen and nothing happens on the tv. I haven't had a chance to play around with this more, but that whole not updating to the newest firmware on the first time I tried updating bothers me and makes me wonder if I might need to reset the tv or something.

Is there a service menu or any more info on calibrating this set??
post #94 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM

The remote finally started working. Not sure what I did though as the remote was already paired properly. So to get it working, you put the tv into whatever mode it is in when you push exit on the normal remote. You then click the app which then pops the pairing key on screen. On the android phone the screen starts with Vol, Channel, and Home buttons. At the top tab it has Basic - NUM 0-9 - My CH. Bottom tab has VOL/CH - Touchpad - Button.

My CH is cool as it has options to Add Current CH and Import TV Fav. Will play around with this once I get my STB working.

Touchpad tab is pretty cool as its like a track pad for any of the menus systems on the TV. I haven't tried the Wii remote thing yet, but using the touchpad on the phone is very easy and click the middle to click a button on screen.

The botom Button tab has the Home/Qmenu/Return/Exit, Arrows, and Red-Green-Yellow-Blue buttons. I will find an Android screen shot program and post screenshots of each menu tonight.

All in all this TV is pretty awesome. And the more I am playing around with it the more impressed I am that this is a budget TV in 2011.

Now I am watching Collateral in HD (MKV in 720p) using Medialink-Plex in AV-off mode with trumotion on Low and the soap opera effect is awful. But then I turn Cinema mode on with trumotion on low and I don't see the soap opera effect anymore. I am thinking trumotion doesn't come on in Cinema mode in Medialink?

Also .MKV files that I converted for the PS3, before I had heard of PS3 Media Player, a while back into .VOB files have issues running in medialink, so HD .VOB does not work right. I at first thought the movies were freezing because I was using the wireless, so I hooked up the TV through the ethernet. But the pausing still happened. So I went back to wireless and MKV files play fine through that connection without freezing or slowing down.

I will be back with more of what I see pretty frequently as this is taking my mind off some rush projects I have to do for my business.
post #95 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM

1/2 Screenshots of LG Remote.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #96 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 02:14 PM

2/2 Screenshots of LG Remote on Android Phone.
LL
post #97 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post

Having had nothing but glossy screen plasmas for the last 6 years, I am really digging the matte screen. No going back to glossy screens for me!

Now just need somebody to post some good calibration settings

Just download the AVS HD709 disc (it's free) and calibrate it yourself. Even if you don't have a meter, you can still calibrate the basics (brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc) and the CMS settings. What I've seen is that someone else's cals maybe a good starting point, but you're best off to calibrate your set to your own viewing conditions (room size, lighting, ambient back light). Besides, calibrations, even within the same model, don't always translate well from set to set because of set to set differences.
post #98 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the screen shots and info, that looks nice, I wish I had a phone I could use that on. Is there a qwerty keyboard input screen also? There's a company that makes a full entertainment center remote out of an android device but it cost more than $400 I think. I'm going to have to look on ebay for a cheap used droid and install this and just use it for a remote. The backlit screen in the dark would be the awesome!
post #99 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 04:34 PM

I assume using one of those Android Tablet things from Fry's that advertise for $139 would be interesting as a remote.

I have a Harmony One remote already, but just wanted to fiddle with everything that seemed interesting with this TV.

Burning the AVS HD 709 ISO right now to see what calibrating this TV does. I will post whatever settings I end up with.
post #100 of 818 Old 05-10-2011, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by travanx View Post

Burning the AVS HD 709 ISO right now to see what calibrating this TV does. I will post whatever settings I end up with.

Did you get the docs as well? I had to go back and get them because I forgot and they really do help.
post #101 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Liked: 10
I have the 47LV5500 with LG remote & Magic Motion wand. Although they work OK for the premium program content (Netflix, etc.) those devices leave a lot to be desired as a way to surf/navigate the web. So my question: Is there an alternate way to browse the internet that's on the LG Smart TV from my easy chair with some kind of wireless hardware other than the LG remote/wand or a costly Android phone?

I'm thinking of some thing like an Android internet tablet, laptop PC or other device with a keyboard or touch pad type user interface. Samsung offers a dedicated keyboard, Harmony & Sony offer those tiny qwerty keyboard remotes, but LG has none. As some one pointed out earlier, an Android internet tablet may be a candidate, but they require a HDMI wire link to the TV which isn't very practical when you're viewing from across a 15' room. Ideally, this would be a two way (receive cable/send remote signal to TV) wireless Android internet tablet.

Your ideas will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Richard

Best regards, Richard
post #102 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckowal View Post

I have the 47LV5500 with LG remote & Magic Motion wand. Although they work OK for the premium program content (Netflix, etc.) those devices leave a lot to be desired as a way to surf/navigate the web. So my question: Is there an alternate way to browse the internet that's on the LG Smart TV from my easy chair with some kind of wireless hardware other than the LG remote/wand or a costly Android phone?

I'm thinking of some thing like an Android internet tablet, laptop PC or other device with a keyboard or touch pad type user interface. Samsung offers a dedicated keyboard, Harmony & Sony offer those tiny qwerty keyboard remotes, but LG has none. As some one pointed out earlier, an Android internet tablet may be a candidate, but they require a HDMI wire link to the TV which isn't very practical when you're viewing from across a 15' room. Ideally, this would be a two way (receive cable/send remote signal to TV) wireless Android internet tablet.

Your ideas will be much appreciated.

Best regards, Richard

Couldn't you pickup a used droid1 in working condition?
post #103 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyb View Post
Couldn't you pickup a used droid1 in working condition?
How do apps on android work? If you have a droid without active cell service can you still use the appstore or get apps somehow?
post #104 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Why would an Android Tablet need an HDMI to the TV?

I am hoping to have some free time tonight to calibrate the TV. And yes the .PDF instruction came with the ISO I burned. Also just got some more HDMI cables from Monoprice. $35 shipped and CA tax for 3 silver tinned High Speed 6ft cables. Can't wait to watch some NBA playoffs tonight.
post #105 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Why would an Android Tablet need an HDMI to the TV?

I am hoping to have some free time tonight to calibrate the TV. And yes the .PDF instruction came with the ISO I burned. Also just got some more HDMI cables from Monoprice. $35 shipped and CA tax for 3 silver tinned High Speed 6ft cables. Can't wait to watch some NBA playoffs tonight.

I don't know why it isn't done wireless but as I understand it, the output of the tablet sends the data to the TV by cable. Maybe I'm missing some thing but so far, I haven't found an Android tablet yet that doesn't use the cable link. If there is a tablet device that is wireless (doesn't require HDMI), by all means tell me what it is.

Best regards, Richard
post #106 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 07:48 PM

That seems so strange that the HDMI could even have a remote control signal sent through it.

So something simple, small and cheap like this wouldn't work? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-057-_-Product

This doesn't even have an HDMI port.

My Android phone forces the wireless connection to be used to send the signal through the router.
post #107 of 818 Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 PM

On a android tablet you definitely wouldn't need to plug anything in, there would be no difference from the android app on a phone.
post #108 of 818 Old 05-12-2011, 08:04 AM

Travanx & Dirtyb,

Now I'm really confused. Knowing absolutely nothing about them, here is the first tablet I looked at. http://www.amazon.com/Coby-MID7015-A.../dp/B0047Q9GT4.
You can see that it clearly states that HDMI is required to connect to a TV.

Not knowing much, I assume this means that this tablet is a portable media player which uses a wireless link to the web. In my mind, this indicates that the HDMI cable connection must be using the TV as a monitor. If true, then it's incapable of being a Smart TV remote control. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Travanx I can see how an Android phone can act as a Smart TV remote control as it has both send & receive capability. Dirtyb - do I understand correctly that there are Android tablets that can work like an Android phone? If so, please tell me which one(s) - that's exactly what I'm looking for.

By the way, in case you haven't seen this, LG has announced the coming of their G-Slate Android tablet. With an $800 price tag they must be very proud of it???

Best regards, Richard
post #109 of 818 Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM

I think you understood correctly for the most part. To view media that is on the tablet or phone on your tv you need a hdmi unless said tab/phone has DLNA. However the majority of android devices have the ability to go into the app store and download LG's app that let's you use your device like a remote...

Anyone looking at a $800 tablet is going to use it for more than a remote, that device has dual core proc. gig of ram it would be a shame to use that as a remote.
post #110 of 818 Old 05-12-2011, 12:36 PM

Dirtyb, Quote: "However the majority of android devices have the ability to go into the app store and download LG's app that let's you use your device like a remote"!

1) Now you have really sparked my interest. Could you please explain how I could use it like a remote? Do you just touch the app on the tablet & it some how controls the LG Smart TV - as if it was an LG remote? Pls. bear with me I'm trying to learn.

2) Would any Android tablet be OK to do this - even the cheap ones like Coby or View Sonic, etc.? If you were going to get a tablet for this kind of thing, what brand/model would it be?

Best regards, Richard
post #111 of 818 Old 05-12-2011, 02:08 PM

I already posted pictures above of what the Android LG Remote App looks like. Get an Android device, hook into your wireless connection, pair the device with the TV, and use as a remote.

You made it sound up above like you already did this and it didn't work. But instead you are just repeating something from a website that has nothing to do with the LG Remote App. Some Android devices, including phones, have HDMI ports so you can watch movies, etc. on a TV.
post #112 of 818 Old 05-12-2011, 03:25 PM

Im not sure how well a cheap entry level android device would work, the issue would be if the LG app is not supported by the version of android the cheap tab is running... I know some of those are running like android 1.6
post #113 of 818 Old 05-12-2011, 06:17 PM

After getting my HDMI cables from Monoprice I decided to redo my setup completely. I am using an Onkyo SR805 receiver and what a pain that thing is to get to work. I can only get my Xbox360 to work correctly when passing the HDMI through to the TV. So the PS3 could never get the handshake when going through the receiver. And the U-Verse STB was randomly working. Another thing is that the U-Verse STB doesn't pass audio through HDMI. How stupid is this? ATT must have the worst engineers on earth working there.

So playing around with this I hooked up the optical out on the TV, turned the speaker off, and medialink does Dolby Digital etc. when hooked up this way, which worked surprisingly flawless.

Watching the F1 720p feed in Medialink really puts ESPN HD and whatever is airing basketball through U-Verse to shame. The TV is super clear when the right things are shown.

Now that I got it working I can finally attempt to calibrate the TV.

BTW I can't believe current Android Tablets being sold come with 1.6 on them. That's just lame and a very good heads up for people looking into getting one.
post #114 of 818 Old 05-13-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:

I already posted pictures above of what the Android LG Remote App looks like. Get an Android device, hook into your wireless connection, pair the device with the TV, and use as a remote.

You made it sound up above like you already did this and it didn't work. But instead you are just repeating something from a website that has nothing to do with the LG Remote App. Some Android devices, including phones, have HDMI ports so you can watch movies, etc. on a TV.

I can see now that I completely failed to make myself understood - sorry about that. Let me try again to describe what I hope to be able to do. First, I'm not trying to use the existing LG Android remote app or any of the LG remote devices.

Although it discusses control of a Google Smart TV device (Harmony Revue STB) using an Archos 7 tablet, the attached link illustrates the kind of thing I'm trying to accomplish - frankly much better than I could ever describe it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03k1u9Y9oYM

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that if this can be done with a Google Smart TV STB (Harmony Revue), some thing similar should be possible with LG Smart TV. Now I realize that LG doesn't have an app for this in their store, but there may be a third party app for this sort of thing.

Best regards, Richard
post #115 of 818 Old 05-14-2011, 08:01 AM

Travanx,

For what ever it's worth, here is a YouTube video showing greater functionality of the LG remote app for Android smart phones. Since it has no audio & the text is in Korean, it's hard to get much detailed information from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pam2Z...layer_embedded

However, I couldn't help but notice that the smart phone appears to be connected to the TV with an HDMI cable. It also shows it being used to directly control the internet dashboard as well as browsing the web via text keyboard. Not trying to be a smart ass, but your earlier example posted here only showed it's capability to be used as a TV remote.

Now I'm wondering if an android tablet can use this same app to do the same functions???

Best regards, Richard
post #116 of 818 Old 05-14-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

There is a way for HDMI to be used for remote control commands, it's called CEC and LG devices support it through Simplink. I don't know if the LGTV App is able to send remote commands through HDMI but it is meant to send the commands through WIFI on your local network. Your mobile device and your TV must be connected to the same router for this App to work. The video shows an iPhone and all of the features should be the same on Android so without testing myself, I would guess that everything in the video is exactly the same on Android devices, including tablets.

The Archos 7 you mentioned is a completely different thing all together. It's a tablet based home entertainment remote control using Harmony software. It probably has an IR transmitter to send commands to everything and using that interface, it wouldn't look anything like the LG provided app that you can download, although being an Android tablet, you could also download the LGTV app and use it separately via wifi to control the TV. This is the stuff that interest me since I have blackberry and can't do anything with it, I would consider buying a tablet with IR and wifi to control everything.
post #117 of 818 Old 05-14-2011, 03:23 PM

What settings are you guys using? Can't find any professional calibrations online. Found one review by cnet asia, but they did not post how they ended up calibrating the set. I know there is the picture wizard, but I have a terrible eye for that and it doesn't turn out the way I like it.
post #118 of 818 Old 05-14-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone else have problems with DLNA on the 47LV5500? If I go to straight DLNA from the input menu, and bring up my WHS box, only a fraction of my movies show up. I realize that there is no .iso support, but many .mkv files are missing. Some that are listed also have no sound.

A secondary problem is that I cannot get PLEX to sync up to the TV. I have it installed on a Windows 7 Ultimate box, and I've made two different movie directories. One for my WHS, and the other for movies on the local Win 7 box. No matter what I try, I always get an error message on Media Link stating "No Media Server Found". I've tried a hardware ethernet connection, as well as a wireless connection. The firewall has been completely disabled as well. I've also tried stopping/restarting PLEX as well as reinstalling it.

Anyone have any suggestions for either problem? The picture on this TV is fantastic...the "Smart" aspect leaves a bit to be desired though.
post #119 of 818 Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 AM

Maybe just buy an Android device with a return policy and try it out. When you try it, you will understand just how simple your questions are to answer.

When you click the LG App, the phone is forced into Wireless mode. The phone then sees all devices on the router and then goes to pairing once you select the TV. I would think the iPhone connection is a charger so people at the show won't run out of juice in the device.

That video shows all of the screens that I took screenshots of. I just didn't bring up the keyboard in a screenshot as my phone has as slideout keyboard and like the novelty of using the touchpad as a mouse on screen. Really go pick up a cheap Android device and try it out.

Going on the WWW on the TV seems like the worst idea ever, so that's one thing I won't be trying out. I have a phone, netbook, laptop, or PC to go onto the WWW, next option is to walk outside and look at the sky.

BTW for Plex, it was suggested and this is what probably ended up working for me. Go into Windows Media Player, go to the top and click stream -> streaming options and allow access to everything in there. The TV should show up in that box to click allow.
post #120 of 818 Old 05-15-2011, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjoe View Post

Does anyone else have problems with DLNA on the 47LV5500? If I go to straight DLNA from the input menu, and bring up my WHS box, only a fraction of my movies show up. I realize that there is no .iso support, but many .mkv files are missing. Some that are listed also have no sound.

A secondary problem is that I cannot get PLEX to sync up to the TV. I have it installed on a Windows 7 Ultimate box, and I've made two different movie directories. One for my WHS, and the other for movies on the local Win 7 box. No matter what I try, I always get an error message on Media Link stating "No Media Server Found". I've tried a hardware ethernet connection, as well as a wireless connection. The firewall has been completely disabled as well. I've also tried stopping/restarting PLEX as well as reinstalling it.

Anyone have any suggestions for either problem? The picture on this TV is fantastic...the "Smart" aspect leaves a bit to be desired though.

What are you using as a DLNA server? Your server has to support transcoding for the TV to see certain formats. For instance the TV doesn't support DTS audio and mkv's with DTS will need to be transcoded or you get no audio. I suspect that's the problem you're having with DLNA.

There's a few reasons why your tv wouldn't be able to find the Plex Server. You might want to check here.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page