2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 818 Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the replies guys. As for not finding the PLEX server, travanx hit the nail on the head. I had to open Windows Media Player, click "Streams" at the top, then check "Automatically allow devices to play my media. I was then able to see my created folders without issue.

Here's my newest PLEX audio issue:

The TV runs through the optical out to a Vizio soundbar. Only some of my .mkv rips will play audio through to the soundbar...however...most of the .mkv files which will not send audio out to the soundbar WILL play audio through the TV speakers. If it was a unsupported DTS codec issue, wouldn't I get no sound whatsoever?

I'm using WHS (windows home server) as my DLNA server running though a D-Link DIR-655 router. I've had no issues streaming to a WD HD Live box. PLEX sees almost all of my rips (sans isos), while the TV's built in DLNA sees very little.

I do have to say that Netflix works very well (watched a full movie last night), but Youtube is nonexistant (I can't even load a video). So this TV is getting better, but not quite there yet.

Edit: Double checked the files...it looks like the native DLNA doesn't see .mkv at all...the HD movies it was seeing were WMA files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 818 Old 05-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Ugh...lost the media link connection to Windows 7 again. The frustrating thing is that what works before no longer works now.

Tried installing Plex on the WHS machine through a remote connection, and configuring the media manager remotely as well. Interestingly, the media link now sees the WHS box. For how long we shall see...
post #123 of 818 Old 05-16-2011, 12:12 AM

Did you click the convert DTS box in Plex under Preferences->Advanced?

I think at this point you might want to look at the Plex forum under the LG topics. I have never had an issue with sharing files once I figured out how to get the files to share in the first place with any software.

BTW I had tried calibrating and got 2 different sets of numbers from using the burned AVS HD Disc and the in tv Picture Magic. I think I might like a combo of the 2 as sharpness was pretty hard for me to get right in the AVS and seemed easier in the Picture Magic.

I have to watch a few HD movies to see what I end up liking.
post #124 of 818 Old 05-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travanx View Post

Did you click the convert DTS box in Plex under Preferences->Advanced?

I think at this point you might want to look at the Plex forum under the LG topics. I have never had an issue with sharing files once I figured out how to get the files to share in the first place with any software.

BTW I had tried calibrating and got 2 different sets of numbers from using the burned AVS HD Disc and the in tv Picture Magic. I think I might like a combo of the 2 as sharpness was pretty hard for me to get right in the AVS and seemed easier in the Picture Magic.

I have to watch a few HD movies to see what I end up liking.

I believe I had the convert DTS box checked, but I'll check again as I'm at work right now. So far so good on the WHS box. The TV still continues to recognize the shares. I still can't figure out why I could only see the PLEX software on the Win 7 box once, then not again. I have a thread in the LG topics section on the PLEX forums as well. Thanks.

I'd also be interested in calibration settings if anyone gets them locked down.
post #125 of 818 Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Liked: 10
i just got the 47LV5500 from Fry's

This is my observation watching digital tv over the antennae:

right out of the box and after calibrating using their wizard, the picture looks grainy to me...does anyone else feel the same?

i see all these little dots around people and moving objects..

i also have a sony bravia 55 inch and I didn't see this problem using the same antennae connection

anyone else have this problem or a solution?
post #126 of 818 Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Maybe just buy an Android device with a return policy and try it out. When you try it, you will understand just how simple your questions are to answer.

When you click the LG App, the phone is forced into Wireless mode. The phone then sees all devices on the router and then goes to pairing once you select the TV. I would think the iPhone connection is a charger so people at the show won't run out of juice in the device.

That video shows all of the screens that I took screenshots of. I just didn't bring up the keyboard in a screenshot as my phone has as slideout keyboard and like the novelty of using the touchpad as a mouse on screen. Really go pick up a cheap Android device and try it out.

Going on the WWW on the TV seems like the worst idea ever, so that's one thing I won't be trying out. I have a phone, netbook, laptop, or PC to go onto the WWW, next option is to walk outside and look at the sky.

BTW for Plex, it was suggested and this is what probably ended up working for me. Go into Windows Media Player, go to the top and click stream -> streaming options and allow access to everything in there. The TV should show up in that box to click allow.

I've already ordered a tablet to try surfing the web with it. I'm also in touch with a Plex support guy who is working on tablet development. He is checking to see if LG has any plans for a Smart TV remote app for Android tablets.

Regards, Richard

Best regards, Richard
post #127 of 818 Old 05-16-2011, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranoobu View Post

i just got the 47LV5500 from Fry's

This is my observation watching digital tv over the antennae:

right out of the box and after calibrating using their wizard, the picture looks grainy to me...does anyone else feel the same?

i see all these little dots around people and moving objects..

i also have a sony bravia 55 inch and I didn't see this problem using the same antennae connection

anyone else have this problem or a solution?

I've never seen this on cable, the picture is clean.

Perhaps we should start posting the settings we've been using and are happy with. It would be interesting to compare.

Here's what I've been using for a couple weeks. The colors get a little vivid on HD and a calibration would level everything off I'm sure but these work for me.

isf Expert 1

Backlight 30
Contrast 88
Brightness 52
H Sharpness 60
V Sharpness 60
Color 60
Tint G10

Expert Settings
Dynamic Contrast Off
Noise Reduction Low
MPEG Noise Low
Super Resolution Off
Black Level SD=High HD=Auto
Real Cinema On
Color Gamut SD=Standard HD=BT709
Edge Enhancer High
xvYcc Auto
Color Temperature Medium
Gamma 2.2
Method 2 pts
All other color adjustments at 0.

Tru-Motion Custom
De-Judder 1
De-Blur 5
post #128 of 818 Old 05-17-2011, 02:43 AM

Just got the 47" lV5500 from fry's for $799 . My impressions so far have been very positive. I previously ordered the 37LEa5300 (got the VA panel) but returned it due to bad color shifting, viewing angles and motion blur. I'm happy to say that this TV (with IPS panel) has addressed many of my disappointments.

I'm running the picture with the same calibrated settings I used on my previous 37LE5300 and the picture looks good to me (it came out a bit dark but turning off the energy saving feature remedied that, although it still might be too dark for some folks). I can post the settings if anybody's interested.

I'm curious why LG has seen fit not to advertise this tv's local dimming feature. (Note: When I watch a video from my portable hard drive I have the option to turn local dimming from "off, low, medium or high" but don't have this option available when watching any other source.) My tv has firmware version 03.01.20, is this the latest? Is there a way to get firmware updates from LG's site?

One problem I'm experiencing is that the set won't connect to my PC/internet for some reason . I have the network connections set to auto (like my bluray and xbox 360) but it won't sync up (I'm using a switch not a router). Is anybody having the same problems?
post #129 of 818 Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hello I just got the 47lv5500 last night, out of the box I noticed some cloudiness on the screen but only when I turn the tv on and the LG home screen comes on. I watched Harry Potter and the deathly hallows and I was blown away by the picture quality and I didn't see any leakage of light during the dark scenes. But while cleaning the screen I noticed that some of the edges of the screen are kinda loose, is this normal?

Emmat2011
post #130 of 818 Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Also my set has a "y"on the barcode and from what I can tell I have an ips panel since it has great angle viewing.

Emmat2011
post #131 of 818 Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 AM

Liked: 19
On a LV5500, has anyone noticed that Edge Enhancer cannot be disabled for isf Expert when using a PC labeled input? Vice versa, Edge Enhancer cannot be disabled for non-isf Expert settings when using a non-PC labeled input?

This is quite troubling since I want to use the isf Expert menu without Edge Enhancing for computer use.
post #132 of 818 Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Think I'd still rather have a keyboard, but it did help me see how the whole system might work.

Thanks for the link, i love to see the review because i'm was looking for it
post #133 of 818 Old 05-18-2011, 09:15 PM

I had the same Fry's 47LV5500. Ended up returning it for several reasons

- Cannot adjust Edge Enhancer in PC labeled input mode under isf Expert preset
- Cannot adjust Edge Enhancer in non-PC labeld input mode under non-isf Expert preset
- High input lag when using isf Expert (~60ms). (Very low input lag otherwise ~16-33ms)
- Does not support Chroma 4:4:4 subsampling under any mode
- No DTS decoding

As you can see, I'm very particular about having low input lag while using isf Expert preset, without any post-processing.

Since this set and other LV5500 has some issues with my requirements, it's a no go for me. For everyone else who just plan to use this to movies, and play games, it's a great set. Kudos to LG for including all these cool smart features on such a thin TV, with IPS panel no less.

I ended up going with LD450 and LK450, as they have zero enforced post-processing, working chroma 4:4:4 subsampling, and low input lag under any preset. I really did like all those cool feature smart features. Hopefully LG will come out with a firmware that might address my concerns, or wait for 2012 models.
post #134 of 818 Old 05-19-2011, 05:47 PM

What were you doing for the no DTS decoding to be a problem?
post #135 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 AM
4ML

Just pulled the trigger on 55" LV5500 bundle through buydig.com - got it for $1449.00 shipped with Magic Remote & Wifi LAN Adapter + LG BD640 Wifi Blu-Ray Disc Player + LG Wireless Media Kit HD STB - AN-WL100W

I'll probably sell the Media Kit on Amazon. Seems like a pretty good deal, thoughts?
post #136 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 AM

Can any LG LV5500 owners comment on the internal speaker quality of this set. I am curious because consumerreports rates the speaker quality above average or Very Good as they call it. On a side note, this tv is their overall highest rated lcd non 3D tv in the 46-47" range.
post #137 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I downloaded the user manual and read a couple of reviews and none are clear on whether the TV swivels on its stand. The supporting arm not being circular like that on the 47LW5600, it could go either way.

Could the owner of a 47LV5500 please confirm.

Thanks.
post #138 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unmesh View Post

I downloaded the user manual and read a couple of reviews and none are clear on whether the TV swivels on its stand. The supporting arm not being circular like that on the 47LW5600, it could go either way.

Could the owner of a 47LV5500 please confirm.

Thanks.

My TV swivels around 20 to 25 degrees in both directions. I've already tested it.
post #139 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaelll View Post

Can any LG LV5500 owners comment on the internal speaker quality of this set. I am curious because consumerreports rates the speaker quality above average or Very Good as they call it. On a side note, this tv is their overall highest rated lcd non 3D tv in the 46-47" range.

I think the internal speakers are considerably good, especially with how thin the set is. You might have to play with the audio settings a little to get the best sound but as a bedroom tv for me, the speakers are great. I keep the volume below 10 because they get pretty loud.
post #140 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

I think the internal speakers are considerably good, especially with how thin the set is. You might have to play with the audio settings a little to get the best sound but as a bedroom tv for me, the speakers are great. I keep the volume below 10 because they get pretty loud.

Thanks for the information, that is good to hear. Alot of the tv speakers aren't even fit for normal tv watching these days. This LG LV5500 seems like a pretty solid tv. From what I have read it seems to have a good picture, good input lag for gaming, decent sound, and good connectivity, which is everything I am looking for.
post #141 of 818 Old 05-20-2011, 10:00 PM

The TV swivels very easily unlike my Mom's 46" Sony. Also I think the speakers actually sound very good. I am comparing to my Mom's Sony where she temporarily bought a sound bar but couldn't stand how it looked.

Each time I turn this TV I am very impressed, especially as this is the bottom of the barrel TV in regards to pricing. =) I need to try a real Blu-Ray disc instead of all my ripped HD movies. But then again Plex and MediaLink are way too easy to use. My PS3 is gonna become even more dusty.

Very strange issue. I tried medialink right now and it wouldn't find the plex server. So I went back into the windows media player streaming options and now 2 LG TV's pop up! The original is allowed and a new one is blocked. No idea what's going on but my Windows 7 now sees the TV twice. Just for those not being able to see the Plex Server.
post #142 of 818 Old 05-21-2011, 02:03 AM

Quote:

What were you doing for the no DTS decoding to be a problem?

Playing a movie with DTS audio with the built-in media player on the TV.
post #143 of 818 Old 05-22-2011, 10:39 PM

So DTS won't go out of the optical out on the TV? I haven't tried a DTS movie yet and am curious.

Also looks like me responding to a thread on the Plex forum caused the thread to become locked. That was disappointing as the problem I am having was reported by someone else in this thread and over there. Bad support for Medialink using Windows makes me a bit apprehensive of keeping this TV set.
post #144 of 818 Old 05-22-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
So DTS won't go out of the optical out on the TV? I haven't tried a DTS movie yet and am curious.

Also looks like me responding to a thread on the Plex forum caused the thread to become locked. That was disappointing as the problem I am having was reported by someone else in this thread and over there. Bad support for Medialink using Windows makes me a bit apprehensive of keeping this TV set.
I wasn't able to test whether DTS over optical out works. However, DTS decoding for TV speakers definitely doesn't work. I mean, this isn't a big deal if you have a receiver to decode the DTS. However, for those of us who don't have a receiver hooked up to the TV, it's kind of a problem.
post #145 of 818 Old 05-23-2011, 12:46 AM

I only assumed that Plex with the DTS decoding checkmarked actually works correctly. So what happens when you check the box and play a DTS? No sound? Now I guess I will have to try and see what happens with DTS both ways, as right now I have the TV connected from Optical out to my receiver which works with Dolby Digital for sure.
post #146 of 818 Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:

I only assumed that Plex with the DTS decoding checkmarked actually works correctly. So what happens when you check the box and play a DTS? No sound? Now I guess I will have to try and see what happens with DTS both ways, as right now I have the TV connected from Optical out to my receiver which works with Dolby Digital for sure.

I was referring to the lack of DTS decoding to TV speakers when you play a file from an attached USB drive. AC3 decoding works just fine.
post #147 of 818 Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 PM

I am playing an .MKV file with DTS audio that the PS3 Media Server could play properly. I just tried a DTS movie with the DTS mixdown checkmarked and it won't pass noise through the optical out to my receiver. Also unchecked the DTS mixdown and still no sound to the optical out to my receiver. That is pretty disappointing, as I was thinking about buying a small Mac to act as a media server. Probably going to end up buying a media player then that actually works correctly.

Anyone else want to see what they get?
post #148 of 818 Old 05-24-2011, 12:10 AM
vpr

This might sound like an odd request, but does anyone know the dimensions of the box? I live way down in South Texas and the nearest Fry's to me is in Austin, TX - I need to know if the box will fit in my car or not (2000 Mercury Cougar, back seats fold down flat) which shows according to a website as Interior cargo volume seats folded - 24.0 cu.ft. which probably isn't any good, so I'd need to go measure it myself too.
post #149 of 818 Old 05-24-2011, 12:46 AM

The box is roughly 52" long, 32" tall and 5.25" wide. I was able to fit it into a Honda coupe by sliding it behind the two front seats. (I couldn't see anything from the rear view and passenger side mirror on the drive home though ). I say just ask a friend with an SUV to help you out as it would be much easier.
post #150 of 818 Old 05-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:

I am playing an .MKV file with DTS audio that the PS3 Media Server could play properly. I just tried a DTS movie with the DTS mixdown checkmarked and it won't pass noise through the optical out to my receiver. Also unchecked the DTS mixdown and still no sound to the optical out to my receiver. That is pretty disappointing, as I was thinking about buying a small Mac to act as a media server. Probably going to end up buying a media player then that actually works correctly.

Anyone else want to see what they get?

Strange. I almost seem to have the opposite problem from you. I have the TV going optical out to a Vizio sound bar. My .mkv files with DTS audio all play fine to the sound bar, however, none of my Dolby Digital/AC3 tracks will. I only get AC3 audio from the TV speakers. I get the same result with both media link, and with the built in DLNA. My WD HD Live outputs all the tracks (DTS or AC3) to the sound bar without trouble.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page