2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 818 Old 06-19-2011, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does this set handle 1.33:1 4:3 content? Are the black bars on the sides fairly deep? I watch a lot of old movies (especially black and white) and I'm curious how LED edge lighting handles black bars on the sides given that the light has to reach from the sides (in effect, go "through" the black bars on the sides) to the middle of the screen.

Crkpot, when you have time do you think you could post your settings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 818 Old 06-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Just picked up this tv and having a sound problem through the hdmi ports . I have a time warner cable box and when from switching from non hd channels to hd channels the tv flashes and you see the box changing resolutions and then i lose the sound . If i set the time warner box to display only 480p i have no sound problems . When i have no sound if i turn on my dvd player connnected by hdmi also and then turn back to the cable box i got sound again . Tried 3 different cables boxes and a few different hdmi cables and still same problem . Best but says sounds like a weak signal to the cable box . I think it may be the tv . Anyone else with sound problems ??
post #183 of 818 Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM

I was curious about this set's apparent local dimming and wether or not it would be re-enabled in the settings menus via a future firmware update, so I e-mailed LG and here's what they said:
Quote:

Dear Matt,

Thank you for emailing LG Electronics. I will be happy to assist you today.
I do not understand your email, you said you were interested in purchasing the 42LV5500 then you said a firmware update removed the local dimming.
Our specifications show that the 42LV5500 does not have local dimming.
I have not heard of the local dimming disappear on any of our Tv's with this feature.

Please press your Home button on your Tv remote and choose Picture and Enter- once there scroll all the way down to the bottom of the menu and see if you have LED local dimming, if it is not their then this is not a feature on your tv.

Have a great day!

post #184 of 818 Old 06-26-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

How does this set handle 1.33:1 4:3 content? Are the black bars on the sides fairly deep? I watch a lot of old movies (especially black and white) and I'm curious how LED edge lighting handles black bars on the sides given that the light has to reach from the sides (in effect, go "through" the black bars on the sides) to the middle of the screen.

Crkpot, when you have time do you think you could post your settings?

My settings are on page 4 of this thread a few posts down. I think the only thing I've tweaked since was the backlight setting, I brought it down to 25.

This set has excellent contrast and I use it as a bedroom tv at night with no other lights on. I don't notice the black bars on the side unless I really focus on them. The black isn't quite as dark as the frame but very unnoticeable.
post #185 of 818 Old 06-26-2011, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte1985 View Post

Just picked up this tv and having a sound problem through the hdmi ports . I have a time warner cable box and when from switching from non hd channels to hd channels the tv flashes and you see the box changing resolutions and then i lose the sound . If i set the time warner box to display only 480p i have no sound problems . When i have no sound if i turn on my dvd player connnected by hdmi also and then turn back to the cable box i got sound again . Tried 3 different cables boxes and a few different hdmi cables and still same problem . Best but says sounds like a weak signal to the cable box . I think it may be the tv . Anyone else with sound problems ??

I saw this same complaint somewhere for either the lv5500 or lw5600, it's not just your set. But if I remember correctly the discussion I read didn't blame the set either, they blamed the cable box. Sorry I saw it in passing and don't remember the details. You should be able to find something searching by either model. Can you set the box to display only 1080i, that may be the solution.
post #186 of 818 Old 06-26-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Stieg View Post

I was curious about this set's apparent local dimming and wether or not it would be re-enabled in the settings menus via a future firmware update, so I e-mailed LG and here's what they said:

That's interesting to hear. It's an officially ignored feature then because it's enabled from the factory and can't be disabled. As I mentioned earlier in this thread the menu option can be enabled in the service menu and does give you full control over dimming.
post #187 of 818 Old 06-29-2011, 05:36 AM

This is going to sound like an odd question but I have a LN40A650 and was considering getting a 42LV5500. In terms of picture quality, which one would be better for movies and gaming?
post #188 of 818 Old 06-29-2011, 09:46 AM

Sorry in advance because I haven't bought a TV in a while so I am a bit behind the curve. The 47LV5500 is $699.00 at Frys now in Dallas, TX and I think a few other locations in TX. I ordered one.

What exactly do I need to do in order to play movies that are on my computer's HD on the television?
post #189 of 818 Old 06-29-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeshy View Post

Sorry in advance because I haven't bought a TV in a while so I am a bit behind the curve. The 47LV5500 is $699.00 at Frys now in Dallas, TX and I think a few other locations in TX. I ordered one.

What exactly do I need to do in order to play movies that are on my computer's HD on the television?

The price on these things is unbelievable, but anyways, you will need to download and install Plex Media Server from http://www.plexapp.com. Choose either the windows or mac version depending on what you have. Then you add all your media to the PMS control page. Then go to the tv and click the Media Link icon and hopefully you're able to see the library's you created on the server.
post #190 of 818 Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

The price on these things is unbelievable, but anyways, you will need to download and install Plex Media Server from . Choose either the windows or mac version depending on what you have. Then you add all your media to the PMS control page. Then go to the tv and click the Media Link icon and hopefully you're able to see the library's you created on the server.

Sounds easy enough! Thanks for the fast reply. I will report back if I have any difficulties.
post #191 of 818 Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarcia24 View Post

This is going to sound like an odd question but I have a LN40A650 and was considering getting a 42LV5500. In terms of picture quality, which one would be better for movies and gaming?

I don't know if anyone would be able to answer that unless they actually used both sets. The specs look very similar except the Samsung is ccfl and the LG is led backlit. If the samsung has an excellent picture to you already then the LG may not make much difference. It's highly unlikely though that you would be disappointed with the LG picture comparatively.
post #192 of 818 Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:

I don't know if anyone would be able to answer that unless they actually used both sets. The specs look very similar except the Samsung is ccfl and the LG is led backlit. If the samsung has an excellent picture to you already then the LG may not make much difference. It's highly unlikely though that you would be disappointed with the LG picture comparatively.

Thanks for the reply. Well I ordered it and it will be arriving in 2 days. I'll see how they compare. I was looking for something thinner with at least as good of picture. I was also hoping the LED would release less heat since it's in a fairly small room (and when the Samsung LCD turn on you feel it after an hour or so). I guess I'll know my answer in 2 days! Thx
post #193 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 AM

Nice thread and info, crkpot -- may as well be considered the 'official one' for xxLV5500's.

I just ordered a 42LV5500 from Amazon (with their BD640 freebie through the 9th, and recently lowered bundle-price). As a 'veteran' of the panel-lotto-war after two 37" VA-returns, I hope I won't be the first to report a non-IPS 42" LV5500...

Have you had any luck using your enabled DVR-function on any other stick in usb1? Or more info regards the Plus of enabling the THX-functions? I'm keen on enabling control for local-dimming and using the DVR on-key, myself -- although I'd much appreciate a 'mini-FAQ' on using a Harmony/RCA/other remote to make changes within this service-menu (I checked provided link, but am unsure of "IN-start/IN-stop" reference -- just the 'EZ-ADJUST' applies for us, yes?). Also, maybe someone would know the codes for an older Philips Pronto TS1000?
post #194 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 03:41 AM

My 55LV5500 was delivered on Monday and I've had a couple of days to tweak the settings. I've also gotten some good ideas from this thread for some additional tweaks. Thanks to everyone who contributed. Good stuff.

I have a major issue with horizontal viewing angles with this set. The picture gets noticeably darker at around 20 degrees off center axis. At around 45 degrees the picture is quite dark. It occurs on all sources and all channels. I'd like to know if anyone else has a similar issue.

I don't recall seeing this on the store demo set. In fact I did the "180 thing" specifically to check viewing angles. Pretty much uniform brightness and color all the way to 75, maybe 80 degrees off center axis. That seems to indicate a problem with my panel.

I'm off to the store to check again tomorrow. If I don't see the same thing in the store looks like I'll be doing an exchange.
post #195 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM

I've been ready that the Panasonic 42 inch TC-L42D30 has a better viewing angle than the LG 42 42LV5500. How can that be? Don't they both use the same panel technology?
post #196 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Ok. I have it set up

One problem I am seeing that is a slight problem is that when I see a closeup of a face it looks like it goes back and forth to being slightly grainy on the face to being clear. What setting controls that?

Also scenes that go really fast like the chase scene in inception are almost nauseating to me. Am I just sitting too close or is there a setting for that?

One other thing, I got my TV shows to appear in Media Center and it loaded all the meta data correctly. The episodes that do work take about ~30s to load and then play 1-2 seconds and pause, then play 1-2 seconds again (i.e. very choppy). Could this have to do with my connection? Both my laptop and TV are plugged into my router through wired connections, but the wires are 100ft cables EDIT: Figured this one out, had to stop my torrents
post #197 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Has anyone enabled and used the THX settings?

post #198 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanedo View Post

I had the same Fry's 47LV5500. Ended up returning it for several reasons
- Does not support Chroma 4:4:4 subsampling under any mode
I ended up going with LD450 and LK450, as they have zero enforced post-processing, working chroma 4:4:4 subsampling, and low input lag under any preset.

Can you elaborate on how badly your LV5500 failed re: text/4:4:4 -- or, could someone else confirm/deny?
I'm surprised that this one model in-class would 'under-perform' in text-display accuracy, given its intended market...? [Or, did it only slightly disappoint with your red-text eval?]
Also, has anyone confirmed 'real' 5:5-pulldown, and not just fudged 2:2?
Morealsotoo, has anyone compared Nero to Plex?
post #199 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:

Ok. I have it set up

One problem I am seeing that is a slight problem is that when I see a closeup of a face it looks like it goes back and forth to being slightly grainy on the face to being clear. What setting controls that?

Also scenes that go really fast like the chase scene in inception are almost nauseating to me. Am I just sitting too close or is there a setting for that?

One other thing, I got my TV shows to appear in Media Center and it loaded all the meat data correctly. The episodes that do work take about ~30s to load and then play 1-2 seconds and pause, then play 1-2 seconds again (i.e. very choppy). Could this have to do with my connection? Both my laptop and TV are plugged into my router through wired connections, but the wires are 100ft cables

Can you compare that facial closeup with local-dimming disabled [in service-menu]?
120hz-rate and/or 'soap-opera' affects some more than others -- try disabling/adjusting related settings.
Ethernet cabling/Cat5 often performs well at 300+ feet, but interference and/or flaky-connectors can factor-in...? Also, 'looping'/rolling excess cable in runs could be an issue -- in which case you could shorten those runs to required-lengths.
post #200 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 05:24 PM

Everything is looking better now that I lowered V and H sharpness levels from 60 to 30-40 range. I was getting a lot of edges and stuff around numbers in sports too, that's how I finally figured out what it was
post #201 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 View Post
Has anyone enabled and used the THX settings?
I have, what would you like to know? It looks good, a little warm and reds seem a little pinkish compared to my own settings but I don't have the set calibrated to really compare to.
post #202 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Everything is looking better now that I lowered V and H sharpness levels from 60 to 30-40 range. I was getting a lot of edges and stuff around numbers in sports too, that's how I finally figured out what it was
There's another setting in Advance Video that controls edge enhancements too I think. Did you run the Picture Wizard?
post #203 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo View Post
Nice thread and info, crkpot -- may as well be considered the 'official one' for xxLV5500's.

I just ordered a 42LV5500 from Amazon (with their BD640 freebie through the 9th, and recently lowered bundle-price). As a 'veteran' of the panel-lotto-war after two 37" VA-returns, I hope I won't be the first to report a non-IPS 42" LV5500...

Have you had any luck using your enabled DVR-function on any other stick in usb1? Or more info regards the Plus of enabling the THX-functions? I'm keen on enabling control for local-dimming and using the DVR on-key, myself -- although I'd much appreciate a 'mini-FAQ' on using a Harmony/RCA/other remote to make changes within this service-menu (I checked provided link, but am unsure of "IN-start/IN-stop" reference -- just the 'EZ-ADJUST' applies for us, yes?). Also, maybe someone would know the codes for an older Philips Pronto TS1000?
Thanks. No luck on dvr yet, I found out from an Australian website you need at least 40gig usb drive for Time Machine to work and I don't have anything close to test with. After enabling it in the service menu theres a new card on the HOME screen for DVR which I assume is to list your recorded programs. Local dimming is a must have option, if anything it's the one reason anyone would need to get into the service menu.

To explain the service menu, there's 3 different versions. EZ ADJUST is all the non-critical model specific options that are as far as I've found pretty harmless. I don't think there's anything in there that will brick a tv (but don't take my word for that). The IN-START menu is more advanced and covers everything the EZ ADJUST menu has but in a more service tech layout with codes etc. Very little the normal person would need access too. The IN-STOP is for factory reset and requires the same password as accessing the other menus.

Not sure about the Phillips Pronto, but if you can add the codes from the link it should work.
post #204 of 818 Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

cnet full calibration settings for LW5600. Trying them now.
post #205 of 818 Old 07-01-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
These settings look really good on my TV. The only minor thing is the LED dimming, which I don;t think we can change? But they have guides for HIGH or OFF. I also opted to just use the 2 point method, instead of the more complicated 10 point - if you tried both is there any difference?

Using the settings you provided, or ever, do you use AV mode to switch to cinema when watching a movie?
post #206 of 818 Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

These settings look really good on my TV. The only minor thing is the LED dimming, which I don;t think we can change? But they have guides for HIGH or OFF. I also opted to just use the 2 point method, instead of the more complicated 10 point - if you tried both is there any difference?

Using the settings you provided, or ever, do you use AV mode to switch to cinema when watching a movie?

I put in the settings with the 10point and agree, they do look very good. After watching the calibrated setting for a little bit then switching to Standard, Cinema and especially arg Vivid, they look great. I feel there is still a little bit of tweaking that could be done to make it perfect but it's not far off.

For LED dimming, just read back a little bit in this thread, the info is there. Dimming is on by default on these tv's so the cnet setting for ON is preferred.

Also to note, THX Bright Room looks VERY similar to the results of these calibration settings.
post #207 of 818 Old 07-02-2011, 12:05 AM

So does Medialink not support DTS audio? My DTS audio blu ray files have jumpy audio, is there a way to fix this? Or another way to stream these types of bluray? I have DTS mix-down enabled and have optical coming from my TV to my soundbar.

I get the same problem with DTS mix down unchecked and whether i play from my tv speakers or my soundbar.

The files are from my laptop if that means anything
post #208 of 818 Old 07-02-2011, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I put in the settings with the 10point and agree, they do look very good. After watching the calibrated setting for a little bit then switching to Standard, Cinema and especially arg Vivid, they look great. I feel there is still a little bit of tweaking that could be done to make it perfect but it's not far off.

For LED dimming, just read back a little bit in this thread, the info is there. Dimming is on by default on these tv's so the cnet setting for ON is preferred.

Also to note, THX Bright Room looks VERY similar to the results of these calibration settings.

I noticed after I input these setting, the left side of the setup screen shows "Screen-RGB-(PC)" greyed out. Did anyone else notice this? I used "2-point" settings. I also noticed that Real Cinema is greyed out in the off setting with 720P. (HR20-700). I set my DVR to output 1080i only and it became available.

This TV supports Deep Color. Do I need an Rev 1.3 cable, or will earlier versions support it? I have two Link Depot HDMI cables that are unlabeled,(PS3 and HR20) and one that is labeled 1.3b (HD-A2-1080i only HD-DVD). Should I swap the 1.3b and put it on the PS3? I do not believe the HR20 or the A2 are Deep Color capable. Is there any Deep Color Bluray materail out there to test it with?

post #209 of 818 Old 07-02-2011, 10:29 AM

Couple of concerns rather OT...
Since I'll have no internet connection for some-time (other than dial-up)...is it possible to d/l firmware updates elsewhere, then install from key? BTW, can one force a firmware 'backdate' if desired?

Also, for a lappy to make best use of this/similar set, what should one shop for -- other than a 17"/1920x1080? The higher-the-res, the better? And is a model with dvi and/or mini-port-out necessarily better for connection (owing to easy-connect via HDMI) than svga-cable? [Or would wireless DNLA be better re: playback than any hard-cable option, insofar as media-playback -- obviously, one still needs cable-solution for surfing/etc.?]
I'd like a new 13-14" laptop, and have no clue what newer chipsets/connections are best for HDTV monitor-use...
post #210 of 818 Old 07-02-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesirtoo View Post

Couple of concerns rather OT...
Since I'll have no internet connection for some-time (other than dial-up)...is it possible to d/l firmware updates elsewhere, then install from key? BTW, can one force a firmware 'backdate' if desired?

Also, for a lappy to make best use of this/similar set, what should one shop for -- other than a 17"/1920x1080? The higher-the-res, the better? And is a model with dvi and/or mini-port-out necessarily better for connection (owing to easy-connect via HDMI) than svga-cable? [Or would wireless DNLA be better re: playback than any hard-cable option, insofar as media-playback -- obviously, one still needs cable-solution for surfing/etc.?]
I'd like a new 13-14" laptop, and have no clue what newer chipsets/connections are best for HDTV monitor-use...

Sure, you can download the newest firmware from here. Instructions and download are under Drivers and Software. I'm not sure about going backwards.

I'm not 100% on your second question, are you asking what model laptop would stream video to the tv best?? If you plan to use the laptop to playback 1920x1080 video then you'll want a model that does graphics hardware acceleration. Anything with a newer nvidia, ati or intel i-series cpu/chipset will do that. Then you can just connect to the tv with an hdmi cable and be set. If you want to stream the same type of video to the tv over network with Plex then you'll need a cpu strong enough to transcode and I would think a laptop with at least an i5 would be required.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page