2011 LG XXLV5500 SMARTTV / Impressions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 818 Old 03-20-2011, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just bought this TV so my impressions are still immature but here's some specs.

Edge Lit LED
1920 x 1080
Dynamic Contrast Ratio - 4,000,000:1
MPRT - 120 Hz
No. of HDMI Ports - 4 (1.4a w/Deep Color)
LG Smart TV - Yes
Wi-FiĀ® Ready* - Yes (Adapter Included)
DLNA CertifiedĀ® - Yes (Movie/Photo/Music)
USB 2.0 - Yes
Warranty - 1 Year Parts & Labor

Audio Output Power - 10W + 10W
Remote Control Type - Magic Motion & Standard (Backlit) Included

Power -
Consumption (Max.) - 155W
Consumption (Average) - 125W

TV without stand (WxHxD) - 39.8" x 24.3" x 1.2"
TV with stand (WxHxD) - 39.8" x 26.9" x 10.0"
Shipping Dimensions (WxHxD) - 46.5" x 29.3" x 4.3"
TV without stand weight - 29.1 lbs
TV with stand weight - 34.2 lbs
Shipping weight - 41.2 lbs

-----------------------

To shed light on my situation, first I purchased a 42LV3700 last week. It's basically the same as this set minus 120Hz, MagicMotion and Backlit remotes and different chassis layout. The panel was a VA type, full model number 42LV3200 UD.AUSDLHR.

I found a sale price for the 42LV5500 exactly the same as I paid for the 3700 so I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade for free.

I noticed other 2011 LG panels on display at the store and they had much better viewing angles than the panel I had first purchased, the blacks were more uniform etc, so I checked the model number on these at the difference was the last part. UA.AUSYLUR. Following others discovery of the difference on last years models, it appears VA panels have similar numbers but IPS are now AUSY instead of AUSW.

The LV5500 I purchased is an IPS with chevrons, good viewing angle and from a quick glance uniform blacks. I can post a more thorough opinion after a few days use, but as of right now it looks good.

A big plus to this model versus the LV3700 is that most inputs on the back are either downward or sideways facing instead of straight out the back so you can mount very close to the wall.

Both of these SmartTV models LV3700/LV5500 have apps, internet browser,etc but a feature I didn't know anything about until buying the TV and one that's going to be huge for LG I think is MediaLink. MediaLink is LG's combined project with Plex Media Server which is a XBMC/MediaBrowser like interface previously only for Mac's. But now Plex has a Windows server also and just by setting it up on your home server and adding your media, you can access everything through a very nice interface on the TV. A power cord, coax and ethernet/wifi and you have your full media library wherever you hook up your tv!

I tried it and it works, very well, even with 1080p MKV's up to 20Mbit rate. I didn't notice any stuttering or degradation, very nice. There is a catch though and it's a big one, the tv doesn't support DTS audio and Plex doesn't currently transcode DTS so none of my blueray library plays with audio right now. This service just went live early last week and everyone know about the DTS problem and it's being worked on so we'll see what happens. Mp3, WMA, Dolby, AC3 is supported right now though so TV library and dvd's plays well.

That's all I have for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 818 Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM

Liked: 10
I purchased a 47LV5500 a couple of weeks ago, before MediaLink and the Web Browser were available (both said coming soon), and at initial glance, I was a bit disappointed with the playback. Adjusting the picture still gave it the "soap opera" look. As the set's new, I know I need to wait for a full ISF professional calibration, but tweaking the settings I was able to get it almost watchable.

Since then I've received two firmware updates, one was a larger update that also enabled MediaLink and the Web Browser, the other was a minor (last digit since increment) change that didn't change anything that I noticed.

Since that, the picture quality seems to be more natural and doesn't look anything like it did when I first bought the TV. I don't know enough to tell you if that's just because of use and "burn-in" or if the firmware did change things. One thing I did notice that I had a "Local LED Dimming" option when I first received the set but it seems to be missing now. The TV looks like it turned Local Diming on and off depending on what mode it's in but I haven't messed with it enough to tell you exactly how.

One issue I've had so far is that you're limited in video modes when you're using MediaLink or DLNA modes - the ISF modes are not available. If others can verify they have the same problem I'd appreciate it.

MediaLink is still very much in beta right now - it definitely has its issues but it's showing some nice promise. Right now I'm still using the straight DLNA mode more as the Plex App for the PC doesn't automatically rescan directories - reinstalled the app but it still stops after a day or so. There hasn't been an update since the first version I installed so we'll see what happens when there's a new version.

Black levels seem to be similar to what I've been reading with the lower-end edge lighting models. There's definitely what I've read as "flashlighting" but it hasn't bothered me enough (yet?) to consider swapping out the set. Recommendations for a BluRay disc I can test to really get a better idea here?

Most of this is just general observations and rambling as I haven't had a lot of chance to play, but I have to say that I'm fairly happy - especially once the firmware was updated and the picture suddenly seemed better.

I would like to see some sort of official thread on the LV5500 range to compare notes with people and especially some basic ISF settings, but it seems there hasn't been enough people that have purchased the set - at least not here!

One last thing - my model *is* an AUSY model. Does that definitely mean I have an IPS panel?
post #3 of 818 Old 03-20-2011, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

This set definitely does Soap Opera affect with Tru-Motion turned on. By default it's set to Low, have you disabled that? It's in the picture options at the bottom. That fixed it and no more soap opera. I also noticed what you mentioned about limited video options during network playback, not sure why that is.

That's real interesting what you said about the local dimming feature you saw. I noticed during menu transitions sometimes the tv shuts off backlighting similar to a dimming feature but haven't seen it while a picture is displayed. That would be great if this turns out to support dimming because from what I've been able to find it's not in the specs.

I don't have flashlighting on mine but there is a little bit of clouding affect on all black screens, still evaluating that though.

I'm pretty sure the AUSY means IPS going by the findings of the Panel lottery posts from last year, but the only real way to tell will be to wait for others to buy these sets I guess.
post #4 of 818 Old 03-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crkpot View Post

This set definitely does Soap Opera affect with Tru-Motion turned on. By default it's set to Low, have you disabled that? It's in the picture options at the bottom. That fixed it and no more soap opera. I also noticed what you mentioned about limited video options during network playback, not sure why that is.

I have it set to Low right now and it's not like it was before. When I first got the set, even setting it to "off" didn't change the look, but like I said, after two weeks it looks better. Not quite sure why. What firmware version do you have right now? Also, in ISF mode, I have my TruMotion set to User with a De-Judder at 3 and a De-Blur at 8. That helped previously, but User TruMotion isn't available in Cinema mode, which is what I'm currently using for DLNA.

Quote:

That's real interesting what you said about the local dimming feature you saw. I noticed during menu transitions sometimes the tv shuts off backlighting similar to a dimming feature but haven't seen it while a picture is displayed. That would be great if this turns out to support dimming because from what I've been able to find it's not in the specs.

I read somewhere that the LV5500 had "limited local dimming" but I'm not sure what that means and I can't find the site where I read that now. The best way to see it is turn an HDMI source on, select that input, then have the magic motion remote cursor on. Turn off the HDMI source and move the magic motion cursor up and down. For a short period you'll see the local dimming working before it's turned off. Previously I was able to keep it on or off with a setting, now it does its own thing. The place I've noticed it recently is with Californication when it has a black screen and bright white "Showtime Presents" as the only thing on the screen - you can easily see the lighting to the left and right of the text. Also, if I use the default theme on my PS3 and turn the background brightness to -5 - moving up and down the menus you can see a faint change, most apparant in the lower left and right.

Overall, the effect is less noticable than it was when I first received the set, but it's definitely still there in some form.

Quote:

I don't have flashlighting on mine but there is a little bit of clouding affect on all black screens, still evaluating that though.

Maybe what I'm thinking as flashlighting is really clouding? As this is my first LED set, I'm not all that familiar with the difference. Doing a bit more reading, I think that the only "flashlighting" I get in an all black screen is a tiny bit in the lower right, though it's almost not there after I set the status light to be off. When playing a BluRay, there's some faint light on the bottom right and left in the letterbox bar - nothing at the top though. Also, when I started the Blu-Ray disc, I could definitely see the local dimming in action again, as when there was a bright white item (like the play icon in the lower left), I could see that the lighting only near that area was on. I can see the difference when local dimming is off (entire panel with an all-black screen is more grey) and when it's on.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the AUSY means IPS going by the findings of the Panel lottery posts from last year, but the only real way to tell will be to wait for others to buy these sets I guess.

Well, I hope it is! I'm not seeing the bad lighting issues that would imply the lower-quality panel as I've read in the forums.
post #5 of 818 Old 03-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

have you guys tried your 5500 for gaming with xbox 360/ps3? Can you comment on the lag
post #6 of 818 Old 03-20-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzaj View Post

What firmware version do you have right now?

I had 03.01.15 from stock and it upgraded to 03.10.06 first thing after running initial setup.

Quote:

I read somewhere that the LV5500 had "limited local dimming" but I'm not sure what that means and I can't find the site where I read that now. The best way to see it is turn an HDMI source on, select that input, then have the magic motion remote cursor on. Turn off the HDMI source and move the magic motion cursor up and down.

I don't have anything connected except DLNA sources to try this on right now, but I'll look into as I'm curious myself. That's really curious that there was a Local Dimming feature in early firmware. If LG doesn't bring back a way to enable/disable the feature I wonder if someone could come up with a custom bios to enable that. It's possible there's something in the service menu for that also, stuff to be researched.

Quote:

Maybe what I'm thinking as flashlighting is really clouding? As this is my first LED set, I'm not all that familiar with the difference. Doing a bit more reading, I think that the only "flashlighting" I get in an all black screen is a tiny bit in the lower right, though it's almost not there after I set the status light to be off.

I'll have more to add to this after playing with the set for awhile, from a quick observation definitely no flashlighting even with the status light enabled. The LV3700 I had before this one had bad flashlighting from all corners.

Quote:

Well, I hope it is! I'm not seeing the bad lighting issues that would imply the lower-quality panel as I've read in the forums.

The quickest way to tell is to try to magnify the pixels with a camera or magnifying lens so much that you can make out the RGB colored pixels and see if they're shaped like ">>>". Also just by the size of your panel I think you're safe because I gathered from other discussions the panel lottery was mostly with 42" and smaller panels. The image on the LV3700 would shift highlights and dark contrast pretty quick as I moved to the side or above the screen. I think the IPS panels still do a little bit if your used to Plasma like I am, but barely noticeable.
post #7 of 818 Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

bozzaj - You're right, this tv does have some sort of local dimming. I saw it most obviously on a picture of a smallish logo directly in the middle of the screen. The area directly above and below the logo went completely dark, but the area to the sides of the logo seemed like they went brighter. Maybe it was because the rest of the screen was so dark. I noticed it on other situations where there was a blank area at the top and bottom but haven't seen it with blank areas on the side. Maybe it's a horizontal dimming only. Interesting though.
post #8 of 818 Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 PM

Anymore input on this TV? Looking at possibly picking one up this year but I need some more feedback. Anybody try it gaming yet? I'm assuming the 47" is an IPS panel. How bad is the screen uniformity?
post #9 of 818 Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I bought the 42lv5500 on sale from Newegg. There is a broken? LED casting a constant bright spot on one side of the screen. I'm waiting for LG to repair it - but my initial impression is not good as a result of receiving a defective product.

There is no analog audio out either - though there is a headphone out. I've had trouble getting that to output to my older sound system, as the line is full of noise.

Otherwise the range of connections is quite good.
post #10 of 818 Old 03-25-2011, 06:28 PM

The LG repair tech has to order and replace the entire panel of the tv to fix the bright spot issue. I hope doesn't mean it will be replaced with a non-IPS panel.

Other than this issue, I also notice the tv even with the volume off emits and audible whine. I asked the LG tech about it and he said "it's probably the connectors..." I asked him to explain and he said it's not a problem.

Some customer service.

I don't really want to have to deal with them again, so I will likely be returning this TV and swearing off LG from now on.

Thats unfortunate as this is a nice matte screen with a decent number of connectors - standard def DVD looked great. I played Battlefield Bad Company 2 on XBOX 360 and it seemed ok... Though I'm not sure what settings I should be playing with to optimize for gaming?
post #11 of 818 Old 03-25-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

That's not good having problems like that on a brand new set, did you buy it online or from a local store? I would seriously want to take it back and start over. The first few minutes after I buy something big like this, I'm looking over everything to make sure it's ok to keep.

If you unplug everything but the power cord from the set do you still hear the noise you mentioned? If not then you can plug things back in 1 by 1 until the noise starts and narrow it down. I know if there's a ground problem in your home and you have electrical components plugged in to different wall outlets sometimes you'll get a buzz.

I've had this set for almost a week now and am as happy as can be.
post #12 of 818 Old 03-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I've had this set for almost a week now and am as happy as can be.

I want to second this statement. I've had mine for about 3 weeks and I just love it! I have just minor items that I'd like to see different (for instance, the fact that DLNA mode and Media Link don't allow ISF mode) but that hasn't caused a ton of difficulty.

I'm still tweaking things to suit my tastes, but I've been very pleased with the purchase.

I did have one question though. What is LG's status with Skype support on their products? I noticed that the older Netcast systems had some sort of Skype support and I see it mentioned for the 2011 SmartTV service, but details are basically non-existent. Is it something they could be dropping? Not that I care (I have a 27" PC monitor), but it would be nice!
post #13 of 818 Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Good question, I remember hearing about Skype support when I was researching these, but I haven't paid attention since then. I already noticed a couple new features added to premium content, so maybe it will show up in there soon enough. I don't really care one way or another either though, I wouldn't want to see the people I talk to on a screen this big anyways.
post #14 of 818 Old 03-25-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

DTS transcode support works with Plex 0925 now by the way. It's only 128kbps 2 channel stereo from what I can tell, but I noticed in a different discussion on Plex forums people were getting the same quality on other devices. It's a first step anyways and works fine for tv speakers which is all I use anyways.
post #15 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 03:32 AM

How are searches or other text entered into the web browser? Does the remote have a keyboard?
post #16 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:

DTS transcode support works with Plex 0925 now by the way. It's only 128kbps 2 channel stereo from what I can tell, but I noticed in a different discussion on Plex forums people were getting the same quality on other devices. It's a first step anyways and works fine for tv speakers which is all I use anyways.

Hmmm - Checking for updates from the system tray didn't work, it said I was up to date. I guess I'll have to watch their blog.
post #17 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

How are searches or other text entered into the web browser? Does the remote have a keyboard?

Remote doesn't have a keyboard, but the magic motion remote is basically a mouse pointer, similar to the Wii. On that note, I wish they could offer a normal keyboard layout as a choice over the alphabetical layout. I actually find myself searching for the letters!
post #18 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmmm - Checking for updates from the system tray didn't work, it said I was up to date. I guess I'll have to watch their blog.

Update from tray and autoupdate haven't worked for me, but the link is on the homepage.
post #19 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a video that demos the system and has the text input panel too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjsVWwWhMU
post #20 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:

Here's a video that demos the system and has the text input panel too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKjsVWwWhMU

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Think I'd still rather have a keyboard, but it did help me see how the whole system might work.
post #21 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:

Update from tray and autoupdate haven't worked for me, but the link is on the homepage.

Right - But since I don't really want to be checking the home page on a daily basis, the blog RSS feed will let me know when there's a new blog post and hopefully a new version.
post #22 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thompsonbrook View Post

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. Think I'd still rather have a keyboard, but it did help me see how the whole system might work.

The magic motion mouse does use bluetooth so it's possible that a bluetooth keyboard could be paired with the tv. Hmm.

http://sigalonmobile.soup.io/post/99...remotes-simple
post #23 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM

Cool video, how exactly will one stream the media from TV to smartphone or did I not understand completely? I'd really like to find this out, is this available yet? If so has anyone tried it?
post #24 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:

The magic motion mouse does use bluetooth so it's possible that a bluetooth keyboard could be paired with the tv. Hmm.

Very interesting. I was hoping the same thing. Why reinvent the wheel? We all know a keyboard is the best tool. Unless my tv could respond to voice commands!
post #25 of 818 Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyb View Post

Cool video, how exactly will one stream the media from TV to smartphone or did I not understand completely? I'd really like to find this out, is this available yet? If so has anyone tried it?

The media streaming comes from a server in your house running the plex media server software, not the tv. You have to set up a server anyways for the MediaLink feature to work on LG stuff and for apple or android devices you just download the Plex app to your phone to stream your media from anywhere. I haven't tried the mobile stuff but that's what Plex was built for.
post #26 of 818 Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:

That's not good having problems like that on a brand new set, did you buy it online or from a local store? I would seriously want to take it back and start over. The first few minutes after I buy something big like this, I'm looking over everything to make sure it's ok to keep.

I ordered from Newegg. RMA'ed and its on its way back.

I'm thinking of purchasing a cheaper set with less features - I don't really think I need the internet stuff if my DVD player and Xbox can stream most of what I'd like to use anyway.

Currently looking at last years Sony 46EX500, which has the same amount of connectors as the LG 5500 (2 component in is important for me), but is a well reviewed LCD set without internet features. I mostly bought the LED for picture quality and low power consumption, which this particular model also has.
post #27 of 818 Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Plex Media Server Update (0.9.2.6) out this morning.

Fix information here: http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/03/29/p...-for-everyone/
post #28 of 818 Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Plex Media Server Update (0.9.2.6) out this morning.

Fix information here: http://elan.plexapp.com/2011/03/29/p...-for-everyone/

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm still searching for some sort of professional review of this set and it looks like we really are early to the game. Announcements I keep seeing in general say these 2011 LG's will be coming in April, hopefully next month a bunch of people will get these and we can get some good discussions going.

But here's a very interesting video preview of Plex on Lg's and some other stuff discussed.
http://youtu.be/ctoMFmYRE1w
post #29 of 818 Old 04-03-2011, 12:39 PM

I am just curious, now that it has been a few weeks, how are you guys enjoying your TV?

I narrowed my search down to the Samsung D6000 or the LG LV5500. I went to Best Buy today to look at both of the sets. I thought the LV5500 looked great, and preferred this set over the D6000, mainly because of the matte panel. I have bright lights in my apartment, and the glare on the glossy D6000 was awful. I know the lights in Best Buy are commercial lights and are very bright, but I have a few very bright lights in my apartment. Granted, they are not neon lights, but they are bright nonetheless.

I am thinking of picking up the 47LV5500 this week. If you have any more opinions on the picture quality and just the overall quality of the TV, I would greatly appreciate it.
post #30 of 818 Old 04-03-2011, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

It's an excellent set in my opinion. The color, depth and motion impress and to compare in my house I watched Tron Legacy on it last night and the extreme color contrast on that movie looked awesome! I then compared it to the experience on my living room plasma and there was no comparison. The plasma (2009 LG so take with it what you will) seemed very tame and sort of bland, a lot less pop. I'd ditch my plasma for a similar sized one of these in a second if money grew on trees.

The things I can see room for improvement and something professional reviewers would concentrate on I'm sure is that on all black screens during transitions there is a bit of clouding and unevenness. The dark shots have some glow in a dark room so that's the thing to consider when looking at other sets is if they handle blacks better. This isn't bothering me because I expect this with LCD's especially without full LED dimming and the shadow detail and contrast in bright and dark scenes is very good. I'm not sure what a professional calibration would do, but it can only help as I'm just using the built in Picture wizard.

There's also a couple things with the remote/menu system I'd change. I would like to have a dedicated sleep timer button instead of having to navigate the quick menu to turn it on, not a big deal for living room use though. Also just to get to the tv settings menu you have to navigate the smart tv menu with several clicks and that could be streamlined with a button on the remote that went straight to the TV Menu.

The included extra's you get with the set are nice, like a wifi dongle, magic motion remote which is more than just a gimmick, back lit remote etc. The position of inputs on the back is perfect for mounting real tight to a wall and viewing angles are good enough you don't need to point the tv perfectly at your seating position.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page