Sharp LCXXLE835U Series Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 955 Old 07-18-2011, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just ordered the 52 inch today. I spent the weekend test driving two Samsung un55d8000. Both TV's had banding issues that I just couldn't deal with for the price. Hoping this set works well for me.

I was hoping someone could answer a question for me. Can someone that has the 52" model measure the size of the stand? Not worried about the height, just the length and width.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 955 Old 07-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tested the 3D on this series yet? Is there any noticeable crosstalk etc?
post #273 of 955 Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
According to the Flatpanels HD review, "I saw very small crosstalk levels on LE830 and actually less than on Samsung D8000. I enjoyed both PS3 gaming and 3D movies on LE830 and only very rarely saw any crosstalk. The only scenes that cause crosstalk are very high contrast scenes but these also cause crosstalk on plasma TVs. Actually LE830 might be one of the best performing 3D LCD models so far and definitely as good – or slightly better – than Samsung D8000."
post #274 of 955 Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

According to the Flatpanels HD review, "I saw very small crosstalk levels on LE830 and actually less than on Samsung D8000. I enjoyed both PS3 gaming and 3D movies on LE830 and only very rarely saw any crosstalk. The only scenes that cause crosstalk are very high contrast scenes but these also cause crosstalk on plasma TVs. Actually LE830 might be one of the best performing 3D LCD models so far and definitely as good – or slightly better – than Samsung D8000."

Thank you Vaxick! And the Samsung D8000 is regarded as one of (if not THE) best LED/LCD TV right now for its lack of crosstalk during 3D...Now I have to decide whether I get the Samsung 46UNX7100 with 2 years of warranty or the 46LE835U with 1 year warranty!
post #275 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickettaker View Post

Thank you Vaxick! And the Samsung D8000 is regarded as one of (if not THE) best LED/LCD TV right now for its lack of crosstalk during 3D...Now I have to decide whether I get the Samsung 46UNX7100 with 2 years of warranty or the 46LE835U with 1 year warranty!

I was actually looking at getting the Samsung D8000, until I saw how much lag was reported while playing games. YouTube videos especially showed a huge delay and all the reviews mentioned it as well.

I'm excited to get mine. Especially since that review highly recommended it and the 3D experience on it sounds amazing. The less crosstalk, the better.

A few other parts of that review I liked were...

"HD picture quality is beautiful and Sharp LE830 has a very high level of detailing. The colors are natural in the movie preset – and with our calibrated settings – and better than on last year’s LE820 range. I also saw quite good moving picture resolution, suggesting that Sharp LE830 has fast response time. I would rate Sharp LE830 on par with Samsung D8000 (LED) when it comes to HD but compared to the best plasma TVs such as the Panasonic VT30 I still feel that motion resolution is better on high-end plasma-TV."

"Shadow detailing is great and I was able to distinguish every single detail in the dark areas of games and movies. I our test scenes I confirmed this by looking at our step-wise shadow detail bar that was reproduced on LE830 / LE835 without any problems. Great shadow detailing combined with the deep black depth creates intensity and depth in games and movies and is contributing to very good-looking pictures on LE830."
post #276 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 03:28 AM

Quote:

I'm excited to get mine. Especially since that review highly recommended it and the 3D experience on it sounds amazing. The less crosstalk, the better.

when will you be getting it? And what version of the tv (inch)?

the 46" sharp tv is almost the same price as the d7000..and according to flat panels hd, they were disappointed with the app offerings as compared to the samsungs..Hmm I'm really leaning towards the sharp, need to check with my retailers!
post #277 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I was actually looking at getting the Samsung D8000, until I saw how much lag was reported while playing games. YouTube videos especially showed a huge delay and all the reviews mentioned it as well.

A few other parts of that review I liked were...

"HD picture quality is beautiful and Sharp LE830 has a very high level of detailing. The colors are natural in the movie preset - and with our calibrated settings - and better than on last year's LE820 range. I also saw quite good moving picture resolution, suggesting that Sharp LE830 has fast response time. I would rate Sharp LE830 on par with Samsung D8000 (LED) when it comes to HD but compared to the best plasma TVs such as the Panasonic VT30 I still feel that motion resolution is better on high-end plasma-TV."

"Shadow detailing is great and I was able to distinguish every single detail in the dark areas of games and movies. I our test scenes I confirmed this by looking at our step-wise shadow detail bar that was reproduced on LE830 / LE835 without any problems. Great shadow detailing combined with the deep black depth creates intensity and depth in games and movies and is contributing to very good-looking pictures on LE830."
I tried the D8000 for a few days. I just couldn't get past the banding issues. I hope the LE835 won't have the same type of issue.
post #278 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had this TV delivered from Best Buy this morning.....I returned it only 4 hrs later...IMO this TV is just waaay too blurry. I even used the professional calibration setting imws posted here and it just looked horrible. The 3d also left alot to desire as the brightness boost function actually makes it look worse....and tons of cross talk. I am sticking with my un55d7000 yes it has a dead pixel but I am just waiting for them to get the new batch in and im going to replace it because that TV is just awesome. Buyer beware guys....Samsung 7000 is by far the better tv in my opinion but again its just my opinion. Even my gf who isnt that big into tvs said it was blurry as hell so yea just beware before you buy this Sharp. Peace.
post #279 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderJ23 View Post

I just had this TV delivered from Best Buy this morning.....I returned it only 4 hrs later...IMO this TV is just waaay too blurry. I even used the professional calibration setting imws posted here and it just looked horrible. The 3d also left alot to desire as the brightness boost function actually makes it look worse....and tons of cross talk. I am sticking with my un55d7000 yes it has a dead pixel but I am just waiting for them to get the new batch in and im going to replace it because that TV is just awesome. Buyer beware guys....Samsung 7000 is by far the better tv in my opinion but again its just my opinion. Even my gf who isnt that big into tvs said it was blurry as hell so yea just beware before you buy this Sharp. Peace.

That seems strange are you sure your set was broken? I don't own this set but spent a few hours watching it in the store and I'm not sure what could cause the blurriness your describing.
post #280 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 PM

Hi all,

Reading from a review at flatpanelhd...

Blurring of fast motion such as action scenes and sports is not a problem. However, LE830 has some bluish overdrive trailing, and we also saw that on LE925 in 2010. The overdrive trailing looks very similar to phosphor trailing on plasma TVs and I think it has the same effect on picture quality. It can become distracting for serious console gamers but it not a very big problem and it is also subtler than on LE925. However, the overdrive trailing has not been eliminated.

Can someone confirm if this problem occur only in 3D mode or 2D mode as well?

I am really concern on this because I will use this TV for gaming.

Please advice.
post #281 of 955 Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 PM

If you look earlier in this thread, someone had some clouding in their set when gaming but said there was no blue trailing.
post #282 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 AM

My set was not broken....I run all high end electronics and hdmi cables on my set....trust me it looks great in the store on dynamic mode when you are like 20 feet away from it..and watching a blu ray...but when you try to watch tv on it the picture is just awful and i sit about 10-12 ft away the same distance i stood in the store....dont be fooled im telling you....but again just my experience
post #283 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 12:13 PM
VFC

I received the LC-46LE835U from Amazon about two weeks ago. It replaces a Samsung 46" DLP (model HLN467WX/XAA) I had since 2004. I paid > $4,000 for the Samsung, so the ~ $1,200 (including two pair of active 3D glasses) I paid for the Sharp is a bargain...lol.

I spent quite a bit of time looking at the various models at the big-box stores and reading reviews. In my opinion, the Sharp 835 had the best picture of all the brands. Keep in mind that when I started searching for a new TV, I had no real brand loyalty; if anything I was slightly leaning towards LG based on experience with other LG products and looked very hard at the Panasonic plasmas because of the 3D reputation. Once I saw the Sharp 835, I could not imagine why anyone would choose another brand based on PQ.

All the current technology TVs (DLP, Plasma, and LCD) have very crisp looking screens. However, the Sharp 835 screen is noticeably brighter and more colorful. I can't get over some of the colors that show up on this TV. The golden sunsets, turquoise beaches, and shades of blue in ocean and sky scenes just blow me away.

My set has no dead or stuck pixels. I have not seen any 3D ghosting, crosstalk, clouding, flashlight effect, blue streaking, etc. that some have brought up. Black levels are so good now days, that any further improvements would be hard to detect by the average person (black levels was the #1 problem with DLPs back in 2004). My son and I have not noticed any input lag issues playing games on the PS3.

I am really enjoying the 3D on this set. I have a few Blu-ray 3D CDs and have more on order. The two free Sharp 3D glasses (G10S) came a week after the TV was delivered. I also ordered the iTrek 3D glasses (GBSG03-JP) and they arrived with the TV. The Sharp glasses are slightly larger and heavier than the iTrek. They do have the capability to watch a 3D movie in 2D; however, I did notice some cross-talk in 2D mode. The Sharp glasses are battery powered (CR2012); the iTrek are re-chargeable Li-Ion (UBS charger). I tried switching glasses during a 3D movie but I am unable to detect a difference in PQ and brightness between the two brands.

FYI - The Potato Cod fish in the IMAX Under The Sea film has the same pop out distance as the passive LG set on display at BB. However, the Sharp has a higher contrast image.

I highly recommend this set. The PQ and 3D are so good that even if you spent $1,000s more for a set you may not notice any measurable improvement in PQ.
post #284 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 01:40 PM

@VFC Have you noticed any blurriness that some have reported? Also, have you calibrated your set with the settings posted on here?

Btw, can you PM me where you've gotten the LG demo shown in BB from?
post #285 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM
VFC

Quote:

@VFC Have you noticed any blurriness that some have reported? Also, have you calibrated your set with the settings posted on here?

Btw, can you PM me where you've gotten the LG demo shown in BB from?

I have not noticed any blurriness. I have it set for 240 (at the expense of slightly lower contrast and brightness) and watched a number of fast action scenes and was very pleased. I watch lots of ice hockey, and the reruns of the Stanley Cup series looks great; can't wait for the next season to start.

I used the calibration recommendations, but after a few hours of experimenting, I ended up on Standard video mode, 240, active contrast-On, OPC-On.

I have the Comcast HD box and some the HD channels are absolutely gorgeous.

We have a NetFlix account and we were in awe while watching the Polar Express special on Top Gear. The clarity of the ice crystals, the golden sunset, and the many shades of blue that the Sharp 835 puts out could probably not be matched by any other brand TV. That yellow pixel really does make a big difference.

Regarding the LG demo at BB; while the cod fish demo was playing, a message came up saying this scene is from the IMAX Under The Sea CD. So I bought the Blu-ray 3D cd on the way out of the store.

FYI - My set came with the latest f/w, so it must be a newer build date. Maybe the Mexican folks got their act together and now are making this model without some of the issues others have reported.
post #286 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM

Got my set yesterday from Amazon and it was a cloudy mess. The picture on it looked amazing, but once the lights went down, the screen was full of clouding.

I'd still like to own this set, but I'm thinking about waiting until next month to tempt fate with it again in hopes of getting a cloudy free set.

As for motion blur, I'm beyond picky about that stuff. The motion blur on this set is very minimal. I didn't notice any blue trailing at all either. I was playing some old SNK 16-bit titles on the TV and was very impressed with how clean they looked on the television.

Glad to hear some people are getting sets without clouding. Gives me hope the next time I try this set I'll have better luck because for the money, you can't beat this picture and the insane shadow detail.
post #287 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've been on the road traveling for the most part this month, as i type this im overlooking Lake Guntersville, AL. Just checking in on the thread.
post #288 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

My set was not broken....I run all high end electronics and hdmi cables on my set....trust me it looks great in the store on dynamic mode when you are like 20 feet away from it..and watching a blu ray...but when you try to watch tv on it the picture is just awful and i sit about 10-12 ft away the same distance i stood in the store....dont be fooled im telling you....but again just my experience

High end HDMI cables...looks great in dynamic? Alrighty then.
post #289 of 955 Old 07-21-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:

If you take the time to calibrate the television it would look amazing. Your "high end HDMI" cables aren't going to do anything for your picture. In fact, my $3 HDMI cable from Monoprice will give me the exact same image as your "high end" one. HDMI is pure digital and you're pissing money away when you blow it on those alleged "higher quality" cables. It's a bit difficult to make such claims when the data being sent through those cables in 1's and 0's. No amount of gold, nitrogen, or anything else is going to make that HDMI cable look any better than a $3 HDMI cable.

P.S. Your house is not a store. You don't have huge lights hanging overhead sending out intense levels of bright light. The first rule of using a new television is turning off torch mode. If you're going to watch your TV in dynamic mode, you might as well pickup the cheapest TV you can find because they are all going to look like crap running in that mode inside a house unless you're living in a Best Buy for some reason.
post #290 of 955 Old 07-22-2011, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFC View Post

FYI - My set came with the latest f/w, so it must be a newer build date. Maybe the Mexican folks got their act together and now are making this model without some of the issues others have reported.

Could you please check if there is a date on the back of your tv when it was built/MFR'D? Some TVs have it usually. Thank you!
post #291 of 955 Old 07-22-2011, 04:53 AM
VFC

Quote:

Could you please check if there is a date on the back of your tv when it was built/MFR'D? Some TVs have it usually. Thank you!

I just checked and the main sticker is being covered by the wall-mount bracket. The box only has the serial number. Sorry.
post #292 of 955 Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 AM
VFC

I would think if the quad-pixel technology took off, the next move by Sharp might be to add Magenta. The yellow pixel gives the most bang for the buck: brighter screen, turquoise, gold, brass, and more shades of blue. A magenta pixel would really improve facial tones. Imagine seeing close up shots of people whose ears turn red or those whose face turns bright red. That would really add more emotional impact to movies.

Of course Cyan would be the final step (black is covered by local dimming). I use to print my own photos and I remember the impact of the first 6 color printer I bought. Looks like TV may go that route.
post #293 of 955 Old 07-23-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Got my set yesterday from Amazon and it was a cloudy mess. The picture on it looked amazing, but once the lights went down, the screen was full of clouding.

I'd still like to own this set, but I'm thinking about waiting until next month to tempt fate with it again in hopes of getting a cloudy free set.

As for motion blur, I'm beyond picky about that stuff. The motion blur on this set is very minimal. I didn't notice any blue trailing at all either. I was playing some old SNK 16-bit titles on the TV and was very impressed with how clean they looked on the television.

Glad to hear some people are getting sets without clouding. Gives me hope the next time I try this set I'll have better luck because for the money, you can't beat this picture and the insane shadow detail.
I have a bunch of clouding on my set too. Got it yesterday from Amazon. Think I will have them swap it out and see if I get lucky on the next set.
post #294 of 955 Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 PM

The clouding/flashlight effect is interesting. I’ve had the 60LE835 for about two weeks. My set up is as follows.

Comcast HD/DVR
Samsung BR/DVD
Yamaha AV receiver with 1.4
The TV
All controlled by a Harmony remote.

The Comcast box and BR/DVD are connected to the Yamaha via HDMI 1.4 cables with 1 - 1.4 cable to HDMI 1 (audio return) on the TV.
The room the TV is in has no direct outside light (two windows onto a large covered porch on the north side of the home). No lights are on in the room day or night when I watch TV.

The only time I see clouding is when the equipment is turned on for the few seconds it takes the TV to receive the signal from the Comcast box thru the receiver and when I change channels using the numbers on the remote. For these few seconds the screen is dark and I have clouding. I do not see any clouding during any actual broadcast program (and I’ve looked for it knowing the issue). I watched parts of a few DVDs that had dark scenes and no clouding (Chicago being one); in fact the blacks are very black on broadcast and DVD both. The picture is sharp and the colors are very good.

Is what I have described different than what some of you are seeing relating to clouding? Do you actually have visible clouding when watching a TV program or movie on BR/DVD?

I would be interested in your comments.
post #295 of 955 Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43sbest View Post

The clouding/flashlight effect is interesting. I've had the 60LE835 for about two weeks. My set up is as follows.

Comcast HD/DVR
Samsung BR/DVD
Yamaha AV receiver with 1.4
The TV
All controlled by a Harmony remote.

The Comcast box and BR/DVD are connected to the Yamaha via HDMI 1.4 cables with 1 - 1.4 cable to HDMI 1 (audio return) on the TV.
The room the TV is in has no direct outside light (two windows onto a large covered porch on the north side of the home). No lights are on in the room day or night when I watch TV.

The only time I see clouding is when the equipment is turned on for the few seconds it takes the TV to receive the signal from the Comcast box thru the receiver and when I change channels using the numbers on the remote. For these few seconds the screen is dark and I have clouding. I do not see any clouding during any actual broadcast program (and I've looked for it knowing the issue). I watched parts of a few DVDs that had dark scenes and no clouding (Chicago being one); in fact the blacks are very black on broadcast and DVD both. The picture is sharp and the colors are very good.

Is what I have described different than what some of you are seeing relating to clouding? Do you actually have visible clouding when watching a TV program or movie on BR/DVD?

I would be interested in your comments.

The clouding on mine stuck out like a sore thumb while using my PlayStation 3. I could clearly see it in dark scenes.
post #296 of 955 Old 07-24-2011, 08:43 AM

I could see it in really dark scenes. I have two spots along the top where it is really bad. It seems to be related to the backlight. The higher it is the worse. I modifed the OP settings and turned downt he backlight to about 4. that helps, but I can still see it.
post #297 of 955 Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM
VFC

I'm not a TV technician but I have years of service experience in a related field. I would guess the light bleeding (clouding, flashlight effect) is caused by a warped panel (or sub panel assembly).

That could be caused by a number of reasons. Here are some I can think of:

- Poor manufacturing process
- Shipping damage
- Panel was torqued, or subjected to a high force in the center of the glass panel, when the TV was installed on the stand or wall mount bracket
- Excess heat caused by heat-generating components mounted below the TV or the TV is mounted over a fireplace
- Excess force was used to clean the screen
- Panel was twisted when the TV is grabbed by the side to extend or retract the TV on a full-range mounting bracket.

The last one is a major concern of mine. I made sure the wall-bracket extension joints were well lubricated and adjusted for minimum force. My TV moves so freely when I pull it out to adjust the viewing angle that I had to install 3/4" foam strips on the bracket & TV panel to cushion the impact when I return it back against the wall.

I was also very careful when I mounted the TV on the stand and then on the wall-mount bracket. The directions say to lay the TV flat on a cushioned surface. Do NOT put the TV flat on a sofa or bed. The TV may sink into the padding and exert a high force on the center of the glass panel (bad; real bad). I put a medium-thickness quilt on my kitchen counter and laid the TV on it. The TV was suspended just by the outer frame and was not twisted because the counter is near perfectly flat.

I suspect that some of these issues are self inflicted. From my experience, you can't manufacture a consumer proof product; there are customers who can damage a steel shot-put ball....lol.
post #298 of 955 Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Interesting points VFC. Hoping I didn't create the clouding myself. I lifted the tv numerous times by only holding onto the sides. I am sure that created a lot of stress in the middle of the set when I laid it down on the table to put the stand on it. Amazon is going to exchange my set. I will be a little more careful this time and will give an update about clouding on the new set.
post #299 of 955 Old 07-26-2011, 12:00 AM

I'm wondering, is there a simple test for clouding? For example, would pausing in a very dark scene and then see if my set will have clouding? Only reason I ask this, is because people seem to not have clouding issues once they turn down their backlight etc.

I hope that makes sense haha. Thanks guys!
post #300 of 955 Old 07-26-2011, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
When you look closely at your 835, do you notice small "teeth" formed on horizontal lines and other horizontal color separations? Im very disappointed, i just got a 46" and it wondering if something is wrong with this set or if this is normal. Its easy to see at 3ft, a little harder bad further, anyone mind confirming this?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp , Sharp Lc40le835u Quattron 40 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Lcd Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page